Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

attackmole posted:

I've been lazy and haven't read the platforms yet. Any reason I shouldn't just check the Nenshi box? I agree with him on most things and figured the other guys were probably reactionary conservative dick heads but haven't really done any reading tbh.
Calgary muni elections continue to not put anyone other than Nenshi, fringe candidates and reactionary dickheads on the ballot.

Also, apparently a bunch of the school board trustees are in some kind of big-money, big-press bloc ("Students Count") that is supported by, or at least sympathetic to, Jason Kenney.

And also there's some miscellaneous crazies: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/karen-draper-facebook-comments-1.4319730

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dreylad posted:

I think I've said it before but 1491 and 1493 are very good pre and post contact books. We actually do know a lot more about pre-contact civilizations than we did 20 years ago.

That's probably how old the stuff I learned from was, as I'm an old.

ONe of the things that surprised me when I took an Anthro class in the early 2000s was to find out that a number of First Nations people had a written language. It wasn't as complex as others, but it existed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/915745428280397825

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahahaha

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

attackmole posted:

I've been lazy and haven't read the platforms yet. Any reason I shouldn't just check the Nenshi box? I agree with him on most things and figured the other guys were probably reactionary conservative dick heads but haven't really done any reading tbh.

Yeah that's pretty much it. If you're really loving angry about moderate property tax increases in the city but still want to give $200M (maybe more!) of public money to literal billionaires, then those are the candidates for you.

Also random shout-out to anyone in Ward 1, vote for my old friend Coral Bliss Taylor, she's pretty legit.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also, apparently a bunch of the school board trustees are in some kind of big-money, big-press bloc ("Students Count") that is supported by, or at least sympathetic to, Jason Kenney.

Now this I want to hear more about. Sadly the alternatives to the Student's Count candidate in my ward are "I don't understand math" kind of crazies, I may be hooped either way on that front.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Kent Hehr's father is, oddly enough, running for trustee in my ward (he's standing for wards 7 and 8), and his platform appears sane. I think he was actually involved in school administration at some level, but I'm not sure of the details. The other candidates in my ward are some Students Count person, and a chucklefuck who rambles on about "parent choice" in his platform (in general, but then again specifically as it relates to sex ed), so frankly I'd vote for a head of cabbage over either of those two.

For other wards, check the City of Calgary website. They have platforms and short bios for all the candidates.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 10, 2022

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
New poll from EKOS shows the Liberals and the Cons neck and neck, but also people realllly don't like Andrew Scheer

http://www.ekospolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/full_report_october_3_2017a.pdf

EDIT: Results were collected from September 15th-October 1st, still to early to see if there's any Jagmeet-effect so far, but his early press coverage has been less than favourable

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 5, 2017

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

DariusLikewise posted:

New poll from EKOS shows the Liberals and the Cons neck and neck, but also people realllly don't like Andrew Scheer

http://www.ekospolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/full_report_october_3_2017a.pdf

EDIT: Results were collected from September 15th-October 1st, still to early to see if there's any Jagmeet-effect so far, but his early press coverage has been less than favourable

This kinda echoes what I was speculating about before, but with an interesting caveat:

Helsing fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 5, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The fact the working class are the biggest conservative bloc is crazy. So many people will just happily vote against their own interests

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Also every democracy

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

A Typical Goon posted:

The fact the working class are the biggest conservative bloc is crazy. So many people will just happily vote against their own interests

They're the party of The Economy and Jobs. :pseudo:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Leofish posted:

They're the party of The Economy and Jobs. :pseudo:

Also, while I'm poor now, when I'm rich in a few years magically I'll want the Conservatives' policies to protect me!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/KateMedia/status/915668573699428356

oh Calgary :canada:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

THC posted:

oh Calgary :canada:

In case anyone cares, I waited in line about 40 mins to vote at Southcentre mall.
One lady who was on her way out after she voted said, "this line was even longer when I first got here."

The woman who took my mayoral ballot (which was like... slightly narrower than an 8.5"x14", then folded into 1/3rds) asked me to fold it in half again, because her box was already getting full.
Polls opened at noon, and I was out of there around 4:30pm. And this is on a weekday.

So yeah, turnout is gonna be high, it looks like.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

It's funny cause I was just teaching Engels to a group of undergrads earlier this week and I got to the part where he's like "the long-term goal might be a revolution but the immediate way to benefit the working class is to let them vote" and here we are 150 years later

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I can't believe we thought drive through voting was a good idea.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PittTheElder posted:

I can't believe we thought drive through voting was a good idea.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Extra laughing because Michael Ford somehow missed the vote.

But this is all about Rob's memory! !!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
[quote="“PittTheElder”" post="“477071680”"]
I can’t believe we thought drive through voting was a good idea.
[/quote]

Every McDonalds near me tends to have those two lane drive thrus just packed going right back and barely budging at all.

Lots of empty parking spaces and the lobby has no line at all. Parking, getting out of the car, walking in, ordering, getting your delicious Quarter Pounder BLT with a side Caesar salad, walking over to the condiments station to take like half the loving napkins, walking out, getting back in your vehicle and going on about your day takes a fraction of the time than the drive through usually.

That same pickup you saw at the tail end of the line as you were going in still hasn't even reached the speaker yet!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Wirth1000 posted:

Every McDonalds near me tends to have those two lane drive thrus just packed going right back and barely budging at all.

Lots of empty parking spaces and the lobby has no line at all. Parking, getting out of the car, walking in, ordering, getting your delicious Quarter Pounder BLT with a side Caesar salad, walking over to the condiments station to take like half the loving napkins, walking out, getting back in your vehicle and going on about your day takes a fraction of the time than the drive through usually.

That same pickup you saw at the tail end of the line as you were going in still hasn't even reached the speaker yet!

This is way too specific to be a general example.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's a miracle because normally if there's a big line-up at any drive through 95% of the staff inside are working on their orders while the people who walk in to order just stand there waiting. Any franchise that includes a drive through operation prioritizes the drive through over walk in customers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm going to open up a drive-thru Keg and make all the loving money, you'll see!

(Canadians are just stupid enough for this to work, so I'm only half-joking)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Drive Throughs will be gone if the green revolution ever happens, the amount of idle car pollution they create is loving insane.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm going to open up a drive-thru Keg and make all the loving money, you'll see!

(Canadians are just stupid enough for this to work, so I'm only half-joking)

I'll open a drive-through gently caress park and we'll see who makes more money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Drive Throughs will be gone if the green revolution ever happens, the amount of idle car pollution they create is loving insane.

Yeah but when your self-driving Uber Tesla idles in a drive-thru it's no big deal

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

vyelkin posted:

I'll open a drive-through gently caress park and we'll see who makes more money.

Drive in movies theatres didn't work bud. Sorry.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

The new BMWs automatically turn the engine off if you idle for more than a couple of seconds, like at stop signs and red lights and then pushing the pedal turns the engine back on. It works fine but I hate it.

e: hated it. I don't have a bmw.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 5, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Last I checked it was up to something like 65k USD a month.

Dude is pulling down almost a million Canadian a year doing this poo poo.

I would love for Peterson to get into poo poo for breaking some obscure University policy in scamming idiots with his lovely videos or even better just plain old tax fraud/evasion.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The new BMWs automatically turn the engine off if you idle for more than a couple of seconds, like at stop signs and red lights and then pushing the pedal turns the engine back on. It works fine but I hate it.

e: hated it. I don't have a bmw.

So you have to double-tap to get going again? Sounds like one of those things that would take a long time to get used to if you've been driving for 10+ years.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah but when your self-driving Uber Tesla idles in a drive-thru it's no big deal

lmao if you think that self-driving Uber Teslas will be for anyone but the ultra-rich. Also drive throughs

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

So you have to double-tap to get going again? Sounds like one of those things that would take a long time to get used to if you've been driving for 10+ years.

Apparently everybody hates it and it's been around since 2012, that's how much I know about cars.

quote:

With stop-start -- also known as idle-stop -- the car's engine is shut off when the vehicle is stopped and the driver applies the brakes. Releasing the brake pedal fires up the engine.

When my Bimmer's engine cuts out, everything is fine -- even the air conditioning continues to blow cold. But when I take my foot off the brake to restart the engine, the trouble starts.

Ever sit on an airplane with a bothersome child seated behind you, one who keeps kicking your seatback just a little too hard? That's the feeling of the BMW stop-start system re-engaging.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

That sounds awful, they should focus on actual emission reducing technology rather than this boutique feel-good bullshit.

Energy East is dead and Trans-Canada is blaming the government.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/transcanada-energy-east-1.4338227

quote:

TransCanada says it won't proceed with its Energy East pipeline and Eastern Mainline proposals.

Russ Girling, the Calgary-based energy company's chief executive officer, said in a statement that National Energy Board and Quebec officials will be informed TransCanada won't go forward with the applications.

"We appreciate and are thankful for the support of labour, business and manufacturing organizations, industry, our customers, Irving Oil, various governments, and the approximately 200 municipalities who passed resolutions in favour of the projects," Girling said in a release.

"Most of all, we thank Canadians across the country who contributed towards the development of these initiatives."

The proposed Energy East project would have carried more than one million barrels of oil every day from Alberta and Saskatchewan across the country to be refined in Quebec and New Brunswick and then exported. It would have added 1,500 kilometres worth of new oil pipelines to an existing network of more than 3,000 kilometres, which would have been converted from carrying natural gas, to carrying oil.

The company says it will take a $1-billion charge to write down the project on its books in its next quarterly results. But the full price tag for the project would have been much higher, with some estimates at as much as $16 billion.​

The company first proposed the project in 2013, when oil prices neared $100 a barrel. But the project's future had come in doubt since then as the economics changed, and regulatory and environmental hurdles started piling up.

As recently as last month, TransCanada suspended its application to the National Energy Board (NEB) and hinted it might decide not to pursue the project in light of the regulator's new, tougher review process.

"We were not assigning much of a probability of the project proceeding as scheduled," TD Bank analyst Linda Ezergailis said in a note to clients after the cancellation was announced.

Energy East was an oil pipeline but the Eastern Mainline project, which was also killed on Thursday, would have transported natural gas along the north shore of Lake Ontario.

New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant said in a statement that the company's decision not to move forward with Energy East is "not good news" for those who wanted to see the pipeline built, including the provincial government.

"Like many New Brunswickers, we are disappointed. The project would have created jobs in New Brunswick and helped the Canadian economy," Gallant said.

His counterpart in Alberta, Premier Rachel Notley, echoed those sentiments, saying, "We are deeply disappointed by the recent decision from TransCanada. We understand that it is driven by a broad range of factors that any responsible business must consider. Nonetheless, this is an unfortunate outcome for Canadians."

The Canadian Energy Pipeline Association expressed its disappointment with the decision, and blamed governments for forcing the company's hand.

"The loss of this major project means the loss of thousands of jobs and billions of dollars for Canada, and will significantly impact our country's ability to access markets for our oil and gas," CEPA said.

"Pipelines are the only viable way to move large quantities of oil and natural gas to markets, safely and responsibly. With global demand for energy expected to rise and extensive supply potential in Western Canada, Canada will be missing out on a significant economic opportunity if governments do not see value in pipeline projects such as Energy East."

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 5, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Seems to me like environmental decontamination was about to become the second-next big thing in Canada, so really it's like we're missing two great opportunities at once.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

That sounds awful, they sound focus on actual emission reducing technology rather than this boutique feel-good bullshit.

Energy East is dead and Trans-Canada is blaming the government.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/transcanada-energy-east-1.4338227

I skimmed the articles about this quickly and every one either buries or fails to mention the low price of oil. This project has been unfeasible since the price collapse of 2014, and prices aren't projected to pick up until late 2019 (industry numbers not mine).

I try to stay objective about oil politics, because I want to win arguments about them with relatives, and lots if industry people think oil may only have one or two boom bust cycles left as a commodity. Not a great place to sink our infrastructure money imo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I don't think investing heavily in boom or bust resources is the best idea either, but late 2019 is not exactly a long time from now from an infrastructure perspective.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

"Pipelines are the only viable way to move large quantities of oil and natural gas to markets, safely and responsibly. With global demand for energy expected to rise[...]

Global energy demand is expected to rise but I don't think consumption of non-renewables is expected to be fueling that demand.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also pipelines were meant to compliment rail transport, not replace it. Safety is 100% a bad faith argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Saw campaign signs for Kent Hehr's father this morning on the drive in.

How dreadful it must have been growing up with the name Dick Hehr.