Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Bundy's going to walk, either due to another jury with a sovcit or similar crazy on it, or because Trump will pardon him on a whim.

The lesson here is that Janet Reno Did Nothing Wrong. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Roger Stone's involvement is troubling.

It will be convictions for the actual Bundy's followed by full pardons, because that would be the most depressing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It will be preventative pardons for the actual Bundy's followed by full promotion to Gruppenführer und Generalleutnant der Waffen-SS, because that would be the most depressing.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I don't think his lawyer is a feral cow, so I doubt this.

Partially this is the result of proprietary jurisdiction, which limits the full scope of title 18 substantive criminal charges leaving the conspiracy charges (moreso in Oregon), but it's pretty impossible to ignore things like the guy who was arrested in the malheur truck in town being acquitted of vehicle theft, the acquittals on the weapons possession charges in Oregon, and Eric Parker not being convicted of pointing guns at law enforcement when he was photographed doing it. There was nothing confusing about those charges, regardless of whether the jury was capable of comprehending the conspiracy charge.

But, for instance, if the governor of Oregon were actually as disappointed in the outcome as she said, her state government had full power to prosecute them for burglary, theft, vandalism, all the easy to understand state charges.

That all sounds reasonable and I can see why it's frustrating for the law abiding that these dummy rouge bandits get away with this crap. It's still amazing, and at its core, deeply American, like that guy with the get a brain moran sign from 2002. If that guy's sign were his son, he'd be teaching it to drive right now, out there in an Arizona parking lot, just idling lazy circles, becoming a man.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think if there's one silver lining it's that trump may not care since he never met them personally. Face time is really important to him

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

I think if there's one silver lining it's that trump may not care since he never met them personally. Face time is really important to him

One of these days object permanence, he will master you. One of these days.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/egavactip/status/912772438685097984

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sounds like a vegetable all right.

He’s a few carrots short of a bunch.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

"welp, have it your way," the judge sighs as he feeds the defendant into a wheat thresher

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Jose posted:

the american justice system being a complete shitshow isn't really a reason to do away with jury trials

trump

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

lol if u aint an agricultural product

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

Mr. Willis claimed not to be a person, but some sort of “agricultural product” and therefore not subject to the laws of North Carolina or the United States. He also told Judge Heath that his name was not Jerry Willis, but Willis Jerry.

With his motion denied, a jury was selected and empaneled that day.

The next morning, Mr. Willis fled and the trial continued in his absence, pursuant to North Carolina law. He was convicted, but not sentenced pending his capture.

Early Monday morning, Sgt. Jeremy Miller of the Morehead City Police Department obtained information on Mr. Willis and surveilled a house near his residence.

He observed three female subjects packing up and leaving in the night and upon a traffic stop, discovered Mr. Willis lying in the backseat disguised in a female wig.

He was subsequently brought before Judge Alford and sentenced.

:allears:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

tfw you corncob yourself to try an get outta jail

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Tomorrow at 10am Cliven Bundy will ask a federal court to allow him to represent himself as his current lawyer won't make the legal case as directed by the client. It appears as if the lawyer is more afraid of the court than honoring his commitment to his client.

The court has created an artifical timeline and seems determined to stick with it and possibly force Cliven to stick with his current lawyer.

From the Bundy Ranch facebook page.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
i bet that loving lawyer wouldnt even agree to arrest the judge during his opening statement smdh

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Your honor, let me tell you more thing I know about the negro!"

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
ha, cliven bundy would never refer to this maritime charlatan as "your honor"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Casimir Radon posted:

"Your honor, let me tell you more thing I know about the negro!"

Funny you should say that.

Cliven Bundy’s Lawyer Compares His Armed Resistance to Selma Marchers

The specific filing is here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

civil asset forfeiture has gone too far

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Agean90 posted:

tfw you corncob yourself to try an get outta jail

"I'm not owned I'm not owned!!!" I scream as I fail to become a corncob and squeeze between bars

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

love all the 2A people who go on about how gun ownership would have helped the slaves while they secretly wish blacks were still slaves

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/10/mass_shooting_in_las_vegas_wil.html

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is 100% my favourite thread to see bumped

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
oh my oh no, jurors might consider the entirely predictable consequences of dozens of idiots running around with hundreds of guns and pointing them at people this is NOT FAIR

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yes. Please change the venue to a state that isn't full of Momos.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

No, gently caress you, you are not entitled to a trial in a unicorn district where crimes like the one you’re on trial for don’t happen.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Move the trial to Las Vegas and only pick people who survived being shot at to sit on the jury

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

Move the trial to Las Vegas and only pick people who survived being shot at to sit on the jury

Cliven Bundy's clan would have been able to counter-sniper and save lives

--at least one idiot juror, resulting in a mistrial

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
WTF is NSDC?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nevada State District Court?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"I'm going to lawyer you so good!" wailed the toddler. poo poo may as well be written on construction paper.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

odd that doesn't read like the handywork of someone who looks like this

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

FRCP 43(c)(1)(A) that the judge is trying to use is not true.

such tight, elegant prose

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Meanwhile, Pete Santilli, who has argued that he was a journalist covering the confrontation between the Bundy family and law enforcement, has agreed to plead guilty to felony conspiracy, his lawyer Chris Rasmussen told U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro on Tuesday.

As part of the deal, which is expected to be finalized this week, Santilli, who has been jailed for nearly two years, could be released as early in a few days.

“One of the reasons he took the deal is because of the events that happened at Mandalay Bay,” Rasmussen said. “The shooting made him realize that this is a difficult case in trying to defend Second Amendment rights, and after the shooting it’s going be onerous, or very difficult. People aren’t going to be in the mood to hear about gunmen. … He knows that this isn’t a time to be talking about the Second Amendment. It’s kind of offensive.”

After the deal was announced, Deb Jordan, Santilli’s Cincinnati-based business partner and co-host on his YouTube show who has closely followed court proceedings, said the duo planned to return to the internet broadcast, but would not cover what’s been dubbed the Bundy trial.

“I don’t think we’ll be covering protests anymore, whether it be a cause on the left or a cause on the right,” she said.

Although the negotiation calls for Santilli’s freedom, along with three years of supervision, Navarro could still decide to send him to prison.

A possible plea deal for two other defendants — Eric Parker and Scott Drexler — also was referenced in court Tuesday.

Attorney Todd Leventhal, who represents Drexler, said he was negotiating with the government and was hammering out the details as of Tuesday afternoon. Parker’s attorney, Jess Marchese, declined comment.
Prosecutors declined to discuss the negotiations.

Navarro scheduled a hearing for Friday to determine whether the trial should be delayed.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/after-las-vegas-shooting-bunkerville-defendant-wants-trial-postponed/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

two years seems appropriate for being an enabling idiot but not taking up arms.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I agree that the trial location should change. Let's move it to San Francisco maybe Philly.

I'd say DC but that just increases the odds of Trump issuing a pardon on a whim.

I'd love to believe he's going to change but I give it a year, tops, before he's back out there doing the same poo poo unless the militias start to view and treat him as a traitor for whatever reason(s).

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Here's an interesting coincidence:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/915708094318907392

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
not even the first mass shooting connected to the bunkerville standoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Boy I'm really starting to think this whole needing guns to fight off the tyrannical government thing is just code for I want to kill people I don't like.