Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

JoshTheStampede posted:

So through a little trick I call "hating money", I have acquired some Genestealer Cultmans. I am not super interested in GSCs except insofar as they are glue that holds together Guard and Tyranids, which I am very interested in.

I have 12 or so Neophytes, 20ish Acolytes, 4 abberants, and also maybe 40 mantic scifi zombies destined to be conscripts. What else should I aim for (apart from the GSC HQs) if I want to stay away from hordes and lean heavily towards big bugs and tanks?

get the truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:popeye:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i'm recast

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

If I recast the new Typhus enough will the sculptor die so they'll be forced to make a new one

My lgs has gone a bit nuts for death guard which is fun, of the 3 games last night 3 sides were deathguard, one was thousand sons, one was iron warriors and one was my primaris ultramarines.

One of the new guys bought the new typhus and having seen it in person it's so loving cool. The pictures out there don't really do justice to how big he is, he absolutely towers over a gravis captain. The white helmet in the official scheme really does him no favours.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I didn't like Typhus until I saw him in person. Still reckon he's best served by being mounted on some kind of scenic base but his sheer size and that massive swarm of flies billowing out his back are really cool.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Giant Isopod posted:

Sometimes I buy models off of ebay where I can't tell if it's a recast - this creates the "Schrodinger's Slap" where the sculptor is both slapped and unslapped until the model is received and inspected.

In the case of some finecast models, the ambiguity is permanent.

Finecast models ARE recasts, just put out by gw at 130% of original msrp instead of 30%.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I just use my Lord of Contagion as a counts-as Typhus because I can't feel bothered to buy a separate box for a slight upgrade on similar equipment

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

I just use my Lord of Contagion as a counts-as Typhus because I can't feel bothered to buy a separate box for a slight upgrade on similar equipment

It's more a side grade than a slight upgrade. One of them was running typhus and 3x20 poxwalkers and them all being strength and toughness 4 with a squad buffed to strength and toughness 5 was brutal. They combined veterans of the long war with that thing that 7+ deal mortal wounds thing to murder Magnus. With poxwalkers.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
These Blightlords are an absolute pain to build for an infantry unit, but the level of customization is probably the best I have seen from a new box so far, any of the arms or heads can be used with any torso and there are a lot of additional cosmetic choices too, really nice. Really dynamic poses too that look good no matter your options.

If only I didn't have to hold each arm in place for 5 minutes before it'll stay on.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
What kind of cement are you using? It should bond in seconds.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Citadels thin plastic glue? 5 minutes may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but they don't hold as nicely as some of the other sculpts, price to pay for the level of customization I guess

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

It's more a side grade than a slight upgrade. One of them was running typhus and 3x20 poxwalkers and them all being strength and toughness 4 with a squad buffed to strength and toughness 5 was brutal. They combined veterans of the long war with that thing that 7+ deal mortal wounds thing to murder Magnus. With poxwalkers.

Poxwalkers don't have veterans of the long war, and they don't have plague weapons so they can't cause mortal wounds with that power. Edit: Forgot veterans is the stratagem now instead of the ability, but they still don't have plague weapons.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Shadin posted:

Stories like this (and 40k related subreddits) are what make me wish I had local Goons because I've never played 40k and it sounds terrifying out there in the wild.

Desperate measures when a man wishes for goony company, but even the worst of us assholes in this thread would be better than NaziGuard Guy or Freeballer Utilikilt or Dicksisters Creeper.

JoshTheStampede posted:

So through a little trick I call "hating money", I have acquired some Genestealer Cultmans. I am not super interested in GSCs except insofar as they are glue that holds together Guard and Tyranids, which I am very interested in.

I have 12 or so Neophytes, 20ish Acolytes, 4 abberants, and also maybe 40 mantic scifi zombies destined to be conscripts. What else should I aim for (apart from the GSC HQs) if I want to stay away from hordes and lean heavily towards big bugs and tanks?

Trucks, Chimeras, and Leman Russes. For big bugs, I went with a Dimachaeron (since they target leaders), a shitload of Carnifexes (since in fluff they rip apart infrastructure and defenses), and a Toxicrene (because :cthulhu: ).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Picked up the new IG book today. I really like these new books, there's a nice quality to them. Plasma guns are 13pts on Scions not 15 as has been suggested.

Also grabbed a Knight because I am a whore for GW. Looking forward to it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Options for a champion and icon bearer are in the plague marine kit. It's kind of weird, but these two are just intended as alternate sculpts.

Oh, so they haven't totally lost the plot. Good to know.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Citadels thin plastic glue? 5 minutes may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but they don't hold as nicely as some of the other sculpts, price to pay for the level of customization I guess

I used Tamiya thin plastic glue on the same kit and I still held them for a bit to make sure they set.

Would have liked more options, but my squad comes to 280 points dead on.

It's a really nice kit. Could have used a couple of nurglings to put on bases though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

Did they buff the LoC to make Typhus more of a sidegrade? Last I remember, Typhus was an LoC with Poxwalker buffs, psychic powers, and a better weapon for equal cost.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I also picked up an SM Dread today because 7 wasn't enough somehow. It's ridiculous how sparse these sprues are compared to the newer ones:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

Did they buff the LoC to make Typhus more of a sidegrade? Last I remember, Typhus was an LoC with Poxwalker buffs, psychic powers, and a better weapon for equal cost.

He still is all of those things, but now he's 175 and the LoC with manreaper is 137. Even if you don't have poxwalkers I'd pay the extra 40 points for psyker and making his manreaper 3 damage instead of d3.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure, let me know. Got some terminators too. You want metal or plastic?

Sent a PM a day or two ago but didn't check to see if you have PMs. :P Lemme know if you don't and we can do this by email.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
I'm looking for suggestions for cheap skeleton/zombie figures to chop up and put crawling up out of the muck on some Death Guard bases, anything spring to mind?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

FromTheShire posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for cheap skeleton/zombie figures to chop up and put crawling up out of the muck on some Death Guard bases, anything spring to mind?

I'd check out Mantic's stuff, the skeletons are pretty fantasy-ish, but they have a lot of ghouls, modern era zombies through the walking dead game, and a fair amount of sci-fi zombies. The fantasy ghouls I believe even come with some modeled as if climbing out of a grave if that's what you're going for.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

FromTheShire posted:

Here's my suggestion, which I originally put into the painting thread (I'm going to blame caffeine crash):

Dr. Gargunza posted:

You might be able to find Wargames Factory skeletons at your FLGS. They tend to be small and fiddly, but they're the literal-bare-bones style seen in Ray Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts. They would probably work out the best for this application. I'm not sure on availability these days, though.

Comedy/cheapass option: Reaper Bones minis. On the plus side, they're cheap as gently caress and usually come in packs of 3. Downside, they're usually monopose, with weapons integrated into their structure, and the mold lines are notoriously hard to remove.

e.: Oh, that's why I couldn't quote your post about skeletons, you changed the original text.

e2: or i just posted in the wrong thread, goddammit

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

He still is all of those things, but now he's 175 and the LoC with manreaper is 137. Even if you don't have poxwalkers I'd pay the extra 40 points for psyker and making his manreaper 3 damage instead of d3.

I figured that'd happen. Honestly, I'm sad the LoC doesn't have more wargear options, but that seems to be the case for most new special characters.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Desperate measures when a man wishes for goony company, but even the worst of us assholes in this thread would be better than NaziGuard Guy or Freeballer Utilikilt or Dicksisters Creeper.

Trucks, Chimeras, and Leman Russes. For big bugs, I went with a Dimachaeron (since they target leaders), a shitload of Carnifexes (since in fluff they rip apart infrastructure and defenses), and a Toxicrene (because :cthulhu: ).

Trucks over Rockgrinders? I am definitely going to do Carnifexes to stay with the construction/mining theme, and probably also a Trygon for the same reason. Maybe some biovores?

Is there any pros or cons to taking Genestealers as GSC Purestrains instead of Tyranid ones? Are they identical other than Cult Ambush?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Trucks over Rockgrinders? I am definitely going to do Carnifexes to stay with the construction/mining theme, and probably also a Trygon for the same reason. Maybe some biovores?

Is there any pros or cons to taking Genestealers as GSC Purestrains instead of Tyranid ones? Are they identical other than Cult Ambush?

I meant Goliaths generally; use the trucks if you want to shoot from a mobile platform, but the Rockgrinders are awesome. Purestrains are the same as Tyranid 'Stealers except they can Ambush and can't take Adrenal Glands or Toxin Sacs, and cost a little more.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Giant Isopod posted:

I'd check out Mantic's stuff, the skeletons are pretty fantasy-ish, but they have a lot of ghouls, modern era zombies through the walking dead game, and a fair amount of sci-fi zombies. The fantasy ghouls I believe even come with some modeled as if climbing out of a grave if that's what you're going for.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Here's my suggestion, which I originally put into the painting thread (I'm going to blame caffeine crash):

Awesome, thank you for the suggestions!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Hahaha, I just noticed this. It's spreading!

Yup, I stole the theme from Goose and made a gif and bought a new avatar.

:commissar:

My FLGS is closed today, tomorrow is Magic day, day after that I babysit after work. I promise to post photos of me slamming ham with my Nurgle Demons as soon as able. :backtowork:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 5, 2017

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I meant Goliaths generally; use the trucks if you want to shoot from a mobile platform, but the Rockgrinders are awesome. Purestrains are the same as Tyranid 'Stealers except they can Ambush and can't take Adrenal Glands or Toxin Sacs, and cost a little more.

Stealer cult ones are missing the <Hive Fleet> keyword too, so they can't use synapse.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Working on a 2000pt Tyranid list for an upcoming game. Having not played enough 8th Ed. yet (:smith:), is this too mean or not mean enough?

Battalion
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 196pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Monstrous Rending Claws
++Two Deathspitters with Slimer Maggots
++Wings
Tervigon 255pts
++Adrenal Glands

Troops:
20x Genestealers 240pts
30x Termagants 120pts
10x Termagants 40pts

Heavy Support:
Exocrine 228pts
Exocrine 228pts
Trygon Prime 219pts
++Adrenal Glands

Battalion
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 196pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Wings
Malanthrope 90pts

Troops:
4x Tyranid Warrior 108pts
++4x Adrenal Glands, 4x Flesh Hooks, 4x Scything Talons, 3x Twin Boneswords, 1x Devourer
10x Termagants 40pts
10x Termagants 40pts

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 5, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
What do you guys put in your repulsor? I was thinking gravis captain, 3 aggressors, apothecary, ancient or lieutenant.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

Working on a 2000pt Tyranid list for an upcoming game. Having not played enough 8th Ed. yet (:smith:), is this too mean or not mean enough?

Battalion
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 196pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Wings
Tervigon 255pts
++Adrenal Glands

Troops:
20x Genestealers 240pts
15x Termagants 60pts
15x Termagants 60pts

Heavy Support:
Exocrine 228pts
Exocrine 228pts
Trygon Prime 219pts
++Adrenal Glands

Battalion
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 196pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Wings
Malanthrope 90pts

Troops:
4x Tyranid Warrior 108pts
++4x Adrenal Glands, 4x Flesh Hooks, 4x Scything Talons, 3x Twin Boneswords, 1x Devourer
15x Termagants 60pts
15x Termagants 60pts

Gut feeling is its maybe a touch short on anti tank, maybe run a blob of 30 gaunts instead of 2 of 15 to get the most mileage out of the tervigon making GBS threads out more gaunts?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

What do you guys put in your repulsor? I was thinking gravis captain, 3 aggressors, apothecary, ancient or lieutenant.

Pretty much that or hellblasters inside with the aggressors jogging behind out of LoS.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I like Hellblasters. They make a nice surprise a few turns into the game once my opponent has had time to forget what's hiding inside.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Artum posted:

Gut feeling is its maybe a touch short on anti tank, maybe run a blob of 30 gaunts instead of 2 of 15 to get the most mileage out of the tervigon making GBS threads out more gaunts?

I normally run them in blocks of 30; I needed to spread them thin for that sweet +3CP bonus.

As far as anti-tank goes, Tyranid don't really "do" anti-tank any better than Exocrines or Monsters in melee. On the average 24 S7 AP-3 D2 shots will do 8-9 wounds to T8 Sv2+ model but can shred <T8 pretty quickly. If they're fielding a ton of vehicles, the 'stealers and Trygon in CC turn 1-2 won't give them much time to adjust, hopefully.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Anything slow and heavy that you don't want dead seems to be a solid bet, so I'd go with Aggressor-HQ soup for sure.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

I normally run them in blocks of 30; I needed to spread them thin for that sweet +3CP bonus.

As far as anti-tank goes, Tyranid don't really "do" anti-tank any better than Exocrines or Monsters in melee. On the average 24 S7 AP-3 D2 shots will do 8-9 wounds to T8 Sv2+ model but can shred <T8 pretty quickly. If they're fielding a ton of vehicles, the 'stealers and Trygon in CC turn 1-2 won't give them much time to adjust, hopefully.

Fair, still it seems like you either want to run at least some of the gaunts in a large blob or spend the tervigon points on something else, because 15 gaunts is basically never not going to be wiped out in a turn if your opponent knows you can get 10 back free of charge.

Having 9 command points might be particularly good when the codex comes out but as is getting the most out of that tervigon seems more useful.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Artum posted:

Fair, still it seems like you either want to run at least some of the gaunts in a large blob or spend the tervigon points on something else, because 15 gaunts is basically never not going to be wiped out in a turn if your opponent knows you can get 10 back free of charge.

Yeah, I can combine one into 30 and drop the others back to 10. Good point.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Nids dex is rumoured for November, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Broken Record Talk posted:

Nids dex is rumoured for November, correct?

Nids and Eldar are October/November, confirmed, but we don't know which order.