Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Daiya’s getting farther and farther ahead as the top ace. Now it’s an 11-kill gap that Kenji needs to cover.

No 50% update bonuses today. I opted to spread the love around, giving the Frontier folk some boosts since they’ll likely be event deployments down the road and I don’t want them falling behind too badly. Iczer-3 and Shinn also got some extra pips here and there.
As far as Skill Parts are concerned, Kouichi took our new E-Save and is our next recipient of Infights, with Daiya already at L3.

Finally, for squaddies, we’ve Shinn, Ichitaka and Athrun (in this goddamn ZAKU) launching as event units, and we’ve only 16 slots available, so here’s how we’re going:
Ozma/Luca
Asuka/Domyoji
Daiya/Quatre
Lee/Norza
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Voltes/Yanma
Alto/Michel
Combattler/Rei
Kouichi/Puria (for the better rank in air)
Goh/Anna
Tetsuya/Canaria
Shinji/Rey
Kouji/Yagyuu
Dancouga/Hilde
Iczer-3/Deceive (*shrug*)

Here we go.

Kouichi and Emi have made it back, explaining that apparently Katou only had her taken as a way to lure the kid over. Cursory analyses haven’t shown anything wrong with her, either. That’s strangely gentlemanly from a known terrorist in Johnny’s eyes, but he figures Kouichi turned down the guy’s offer again.
Kouichi’s surprised they already knew what Katou wanted, but Izuna says it’s not like the guy didn’t make his interest in corporate poaching when he waltzed into JUDA. Regardless, Kouichi confirms and makes note that he had some words with Yajima. When Quatre asks if he’s really joined the Katou Organization, though, he doesn’t answer.

*Alarm!*

: We’ll be reaching our rendezvous point with ZAFT soon.
: Here’s hoping we’ll manage to catch Djibril today…
: The hell’s Orb thinking taking in a guy like him? Seriously, the country’s gone full crazy since the Junius Seven drop!
: H-Hey, Kenji… Maybe be a bit considerate…?
: …
: O-Oh…! My bad, Shinn…
: That’s weird… What’re you apologizing for? Djibril’s is a baddie, so if Orb’s taking him in, that means they’re bad too, no?
: Iczer-3…!
: It’s fine; she’s just saying the truth. The Orb politicians don’t give a drat about the people living in their country.
: Shinn…
: Still, Rep. Athha worked hard to try and make things better. You know that, I’m sure.
: … She’s not a whole lot better than them. She’s off doing her thing, chasing some mystery organization, instead of working for the country she’s supposed to lead.
: Speaking of, we haven’t heard from the Archangel since our last encounter… Hopefully they’re in one piece.
: When we get to Orb, we’re likely gonna have to deal with not just Djibril’s forces, but the country’s troops too, right? I’d love if we could get those Archangel folks to help, but it’s not happening, huh…
: We’ll just have to manage our forces appropriately and make do, I guess...
: … A few units could also stay in reserve. Shinn, you’ll be on standby.
: No, I want to come with you guys. If we’re to attack Orb… then that’s what I’ll do!
: Shinn… could you really do that? Could you attack them…?
: Yeah, I can. What about you, though?
: I-I…
: Alright, let’s stop it at that.
: Athrun, Djibril’s in Orb, so we don’t really have a choice here. But if you jump into the fray with doubt clouding your mind, you’ll drag not just yourself down, but also those around. You understand that, right…?

: (I… What am I doing? I took a vow back then, so why am I…!)
: Here you are, Athrun.
: Goh…
: You’re still not sure about attacking Orb, huh…
: And you? Are you OK with that…?
: We’ll be fighting our fellow humans. I don’t think I’d ever be “OK” with that.
: Then why…?
: Once, I had to kill a friend. It was a helpless situation, really, but I wanted to try and save him… Still, I don’t regret what I did.
: Why…?
: Because it was my decision. And a decision that you, alone, make is one that you can take upon yourself. It lets you move on with your life.
: I, alone…
: You’re still young, unlike Ozma and me, so I guess that’s easier said than done for you. But… if you’re here, right now, because you chose to, then see it through.

Cut to the Archangel nerds, they’ve just pinged ZAFT converging around Orb. Looks like a battle’s inevitable, so Murrue asks if the ship still can’t set off. Murdoch says no, the engine repairs are still ongoing, but is interrupted when Cagalli gets on the mic and says she’ll be setting out ahead of the pack.
Murrue argues that that’s crazy dangerous, especially since Kira’s off in space right now – she should at least wait for him to come back. “Orb’s about to be set ablaze once again! I can’t just sit on my hands and wait! Besides, I’ve the Akatsuki my father left me…!” Cagalli fires back and sets out then and there.

As Murrue groans, it’s Neo’s turn to call over. Apologizing for bugging her while she’s busy, but he’d like to know how long it’ll be before they let him go. The POW life doesn’t jive with him, and he might be willing to work to buy his freedom… but, no, Murrue sees that he’s healing and says he’s free to go.
Huh? Really. There’s a Skygrasper in the hangar, so he can use that and take off. Neo’s confused if she’s legit, but Murrue just sobs: “You… You’re not Mu…”

Neo’s taken her up on the offer… though the thought of making the lady cry and taking off REALLY leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

Mission 27 – The Enemy We’re to Fight

: The Minerva and LOTUS are here… Get to work, Yuna Roma. Just stick to the plan… you don’t want to end up a loser in this conflict, right?
: O-Okay…

*Beep.*

: Of all the idiotic… You’d sacrifice an entire country just for your self-protection?!
: There’s still time. Just stop and surrender!
: Don’t be ridiculous. I simply need to reach space, and there’ll be no enemy strong enough to give me pause. And, actually, shouldn’t you be more concerned with your own well-being…?
: Captain, we’ve an incoming transmission from the Orb Army!
: From Orb? Put it through!

*Boop.*

: This is Yuna Roma Seiran, speaking as representative of the Orb Government. We have told you time and again, this man you’re demanding we surrender, Lord Djibril, is not here!
: To say nothing of the fact that this blatant armed coercion is a major attack on my country’s sovereignty…
: They’re going to stick with that story to the bitter end, huh? How do they even figure a lie as inane as that would stick?
: I suppose our hands are tied, then; it’s too late for us to indulge his farce.
: If they’ll answer our request with lies, then we’ll muster our prayers for justice and enduring peace and take a stand! Drag Lord Djibril from Orb’s hands!
: Yes, sir! Troops, open fire!

Wreck everything, don’t lose a ship, Ichitaka, Shinn or Athrun.
This mission’s as simple as the rest, with only the Zamza-Zahs posing a modicum of a threat. The water’s out of your way, too, so you won’t need to worry about it. Handle it as you did previous engagements with Alliance folks: build morale on the piss-weak Daggers and Windams, and trash the bigger mooks.
As the power creep flows in our favor, Daiya should now be able to oneshot any of these units, while everyone else should be a oneshot.
Oh, and we’re starting to reach the levels where people learn Valor, so keep an eye out for that! :getin:

: The future I’ve always longed for… It is close, so close at hand…!

When turn two rolls over…

: Lord Djibril… I’m taking Relena back!
: Hah, I knew he’d turn up.
: Heero…!
: The knight in shining armor takes to the stage again, huh? But I also accounted for that!

: That Gundam’s…!
: Go, nameless pilot! Give them what they deserve for all they did to you!
: Trowa… I’m not holding back.
: And I wouldn’t expect you to... Come, Heero.

Can’t lose Heero either, but that’s not a problem. First, because he’s very survivable, and, second, because the Wing Zero’s unlikely to see that much action as my highly-mobile torrent of destruction squishes the enemies to mush.

: I don’t want to fight… but I have to. I… what am I supposed to do, Kira?

: I can kind of understand you getting in bed with the Alliance to keep war from torching the country again… but what is the goddamn point of sticking up for Logos now?!
: You’ve abandoned your dear founding principles and now you do nothing but make your people miserable…! If that’s the kind of country you’ve become, then I’ll…!

Cha-ching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hexLwuOa-5M
Time for the last of Daiya’s new tricks, this one’s his second best weapon. I’ll never tire of watching these things get oneshotted.

When you either kill all enemies or turn four comes…

: What’re my troops doing?! If this doesn’t change, and soon, Orb will…! Aaah, what do I do…?!

*Beep, beep!*

: We’ve a heat signature closing in! Unknown affiliation!

: A golden MS…?!
: Hmm... That’s quite the bold color for a front line unit to have.
: (Father, I…)

Flashback!

: Cagalli…
: That’s my father’s voice…?!
: Should the time come where you are in need of power, then I leave this in response to that desire…
: It is a blade meant to defend… Take it in hand, whenever you deem it necessary.
: A blade meant to defend… A golden MS…!
: If you are set in what you must do… then follow your chosen path…

: (Father… I’ll take up the will you’ve left me, and wield this golden blade in the defense of my people…!)
: I am Cagalli Yula Athha, daughter of Uzumi Nara Athha! All of you, cease fighting immediately!
: Cagalli…!
: Ah, Cagalli! Cagalliii! You’re finally home, my honey! I’m the one commanding our troops!
: Yuna… Do you acknowledge me as the real Cagalli Yula Athha, Representative of the United Emirates of Orb?
: Of course, of course! I do! I can easily tell that you’re the real one!
: Then I now command our troops with the full authority of that title. Arrest Yuna Roma Seiran on charges of high treason!
: Wah?! Cagalli, wait!
: Furthermore, to the entire army, I say: our country will not tolerate Logos’ presence within our territory! Drive any and all of their associates out of Orb!

I’ve the sinking feeling that had I not killed all Orb troops already, they’d have turned neutral… whoops!

: Blast that Athha girl, sticking her nose where it doesn’t belong…!
: Fine! Then I’ll just destroy them AND this country in one fell swoop!

: Seems they’ve decided to throw caution to the wind to get rid of us.
: Troops, the Minerva’s moving to engage the Alliance forces and carry out Djibril’s capture!
: Are you sure about this, captain…?
: The Chairman’s orders were simply to get him. He didn’t say anything about fighting Orb, so it’d be a waste to do that if we don’t have to. I trust that’s fine with you, too, Rep. Athha?
: Yes, and I thank you for your wise decision.
: You heard her, people! Team up with Orb and push back the Aliiance!

Akatsuki - Oowashi Frame (Cagalli Yula Athha)
Pilot Skills:
SEED
Sword Cut
Shoot Down
Shield Defense
Prevail L4
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L2
Attack Combo L2
Mech Features:
Sword
Gun
Anti-Beam Shield
Yata-no-Kagami – all beam damage reduced to 0
Spirit Commands:
Sense
Focus
Fighting spirit
Rouse
Squad Bonus: Armor +100, A Rank in Air, Debuff Immunity

Now that’s a much better unit for her than the Strike Rouge. The Oowashi Akatsuki’s packing some decent firepower (though its strongest is pre-movement) and decent bulkiness. Against Gundam units, though, it becomes nigh invincible due to the Yata-no-Kagami. Range isn’t the best in this form, aside from the strongest weapon which is 2-6, but she can absolutely hold her own with SEED’s bonuses pushing her along.
The Oowashi Akatski’s also got an S in air, so it’ll be tougher to hit than most. All in all, a solid unit that you can even set as a leader if you want to.

Carrying on!

Ain’t about to give you a chance to MAPW me.

: This is where it ends, Gundam!
: … I’d like that, but the other shoe has yet to drop for the people in charge.

Had Daiya learned Valor yet, that’d have been a major oneshot.

: … I’m done already? Very good, LOTUS.
: (Sorry, Heero. I couldn’t make you an opening… but my mission continues.)

: Huh? The Gundam’s running off?
: Forget him, and focus on dealing with the remaining Alliance troops!
: Roger! We’re almost there. Let’s make it happen!
: Rrrgh, that useless Gundam! In that case…!

Turn five…

: The Archangel…! But it’s hurt real bad…
: Cpt. Ramius, what were you thinking?! The ship’s in no condition to be here!
: But we couldn’t well let you run off by your lonesome.
: I apologize for that… But, I—

: …!
: How stupid are you that you’d charge into a battlefield battered like that? Die…!

*The mook starts closing in.*

: Oh, no, you don’t…!

: Huh…?!

: The Skygrasper?!
Sorry for butting in like that.
: Y-You’re…! But why…?!
Because I don’t really care for Djibril either. You’re gonna have to put up with me for a bit more, I’m afraid!
: Alright, now we’re cooking! With all these forces fighting together, we’ll have Djibril in chains real quick…!
: drat you all… Send out the Destroys!

: The Alliance’s deployed their giant MSs! Incoming artillery strike!
: But at that angle… its shot will hit right where the civilian shelters are!
: No, it won’t! The Akatsuki’ll stop it…!

…?!
: Hrk…! I guess blocking even the impact of the blast’s a different story…!
(Th-This… I’ve seen this before…!)
: That’s enough, Cagalli! Not even your unit can handle all that! And if you die, Orb’ll—
: No… I can’t, I won’t back down! I won’t let this nation… these people be ravaged by war again…!
(?! That’s it…! I… I’m!)

: Tch! Uurgh…!
: Cagalli!
: Haaaaah!!

*The Skygrasper flies by Cagalli.*

: Lt….?!
: It finally came back to me…! Who I am… and why I’m here!
: Did… Did your memories…?!
: I’ll keep you safe. After all…
: I’m the man that makes the impossible possible!
: Mu…!

: What are you all doing?! Destroy her already! That armor isn’t covering her cameras and thrusters, I bet!

: High energy reading coming from the Destroy! It’s prepping to fire all its weapons!
: Stop it! The Golden MS and the Archangel’ll both be destroyed if that barrage hits!
: CAGALLI!!

: The Freedom…?! No, it looks different… What unit is that?!
: The gnawing pain we felt that day isn’t something we wanted anyone else to experience…
: That’s why it’s my wish to defend Orb… to defend the entire world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeNMuNPp5Y
Kira: “It’s the giant MS from before… I won’t let it also set Orb ablaze!” > “The Strike Freedom carries all of Lacus’ wishes…” > “And, now, I’ll make those wishes come true…!”

: Kira Yamato…
: Kira, is that your…

: That is his wish. And I’ve granted him a new blade with which to make that wish real.
: The Eternal…?! Why did you come here…?!
: Athrun, I’ve something I want to give you. Come aboard, please.
: Me…?

: This is…!
: The Infinite Justice Gundam… Another new blade, for you to use.
: A new blade… But I’m…
: To be afraid is to shut out all else. It leads you into thinking there’s nothing you can do, and to simply give up and let that be the end.
: But power is just that: power. Is it something you want? How would you use it? That is something you, alone, must decide.
: It’s my own decision…

quote:

: Because it was my decision. And a decision that you, alone, make is one that you can take upon yourself. It lets you move on with your life.

: Justice… We’ll fight together again…!
: Athrun Zala, Justice – launching!

: Seems our deliveries are all done. What now? Do we tag in as well?
: No, we shouldn’t stay here. We’ll leave the rest in Kira and his allies’ capable hands.
: Roger that. Pulling back!

: The Eternal… Does that mean it is not yet time for it to take to the front…?

: They’re still sending out more…?! But it looks like their numbers are dwindling!
: We’ll wrap this up, Cagalli! Go and look for Djibril!
: Alright. Lt. Flaga, come with me!
: Aye, aye! Take care of things, people!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 1, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Still can’t lose the Gundams, but we’re making good progress. The Destroys are, obviously, the bigger threat, but Kira magnanimously shaved off half of their HP, so your guys should easily be able to take them down in one or two big hits.
Do it quick, too, lest they get a chance to MAPW.

Strike Freedom Gundam (Kira Yamato)
Squad Bonus: Accuracy +5, A rank in Air

As usual, Kira’s one of the – if not THE – best Reals in the game. The Strike Freedom packs a hefty punch, it’s got long range attacks, regen EN, has an S in air, plus that same fan-fire, smart-targeting MAPW he had in W (and he learns Soul, so that’s some good money).
As you might see, he doesn’t know Hit & Away, so that’s priority one to be fixed, but, that aside, Kira’s likely the pilot with the highest aggregate of stats in the game, and the only to give Iczer-1 and 2 competition in that department.
Whatever misgivings you might have with the series, there isn’t a mechanical reason NOT to use him. The Strike Freedom is simply great.

Infinite Justice Gundam (Athrun Zala)
Squad Bonus: Mobility +5, melee weapons’ power +100, A rank in Space

Same deal as above, only slightly worse. The Infinite Justice is the melee counterpart to the Strike Freedom, and it is just as fine. Use it as a leader or as a very nice squaddie, but you are especially encouraged to deploy the boys together to get more bang for your buck.

Having Kira blast these guys to also further damage the Destroys. The Daggers and Windams all get oneshotted, for a total of 6 kills.

When the number of enemies falls below 10…

*Alarm!*

: We’ve new heat signatures on approach! Searching database… we’ve a match!

: ?! It’s the group we were after…!

*Looks at the mob.*

: Captain, there’re some models we haven’t seen before!
: We’ve fought these troops once, but still know nothing about them… what are they after…?
: That Fighter unit… These’re the guys who took the professor, no doubt about it!
: Then, the Archangel has been pursuing them just like us…!
: Yeah, and I reckon this is a good chance to check if they got anything to do with GreAT! We just gotta nab one of them!
: We’re hailing the Unknowns on all possible channels, but they’re not answering!
: Come, LOTUS… Show us how much strength you can still muster after exhausting yourselves.
: All units, ignore the Alliance forces. Our target is LOTUS alone!
: Psh, looks like they’re gunning for us.
: Fine by me! I’ve no idea who they are, but if they’re looking for a fight, they’ll get one!
: Who are those… no, it doesn’t matter. I can’t let this opportunity pass me by. Launch the shuttle right now!
: You can run wherever you’d like, it won’t help. Just concede your defeat!
: Silence! I still have you and one final ace in the hole to play!
: “Ace”…? You’re still scheming…?!
: Heheheh… The monsters here on Earth and in space won’t be around for much longer!

: We’re detecting something launching from the main island’s 2nd district! It’s… the Seiran family’s shuttle!

: drat it, he’s making a run for it again?!
: … You won’t get away from me, Djibril!

: Always so quick on his feet…
: We’ll just have to let him handle Djibril. Orb needs our help!
: Sounds good. Psyche yourselves up, people, and let’s carry on!

Start angling your forces thatta way, but do finish off the Destroys. They’re still the bigger threat, though the Imperial (big red one), Strike and Cannon Valleys pack a decent punch while also boasting a respectable amount of HP for mooks (15k+). The Imperial Valley itself has 60k.
Still, their defenses aren’t the best, so that HP pool won’t last long against our high morale troops.

The little ORF-59 Reeves are fodder, pure and simple.

Only 6k HP.

: Their maneuverability is… Murrue, we were right…!
: Hm. Every time we fight, their capabilities are higher than expected, and their tactics are changed ever-so-slightly.
: They can do so much… So why… why is violence the only thing in their minds?!
: Kira Yamato…

And when the turn flips…

: Yuu?! Why’re you here?!
: Pay me no mind, Ichitaka. Focus just on the enemy before you.
: Huh?! Yuu…?
: Data collection complete… As we feared, the technology applied to those units is…
: Hrm…! I won’t let them keep using my grandfather’s intellect for evil…! Haruno, we’re putting a stop to them!
: Roger that!

: Hm…? They were hostile in every single one of our past encounters, but this time…
: They might’ve had a change of heart – or maybe not. But they don’t seem to be against us today at least.
: Do not engage the Straybird, people! Dispatch the unknowns and then we’ll hurry out after Djibril!
: Yes, ma’am!

You don’t need to babysit the Straybird, but it’s advisable to attack the Valleys ASAP lest Yuu take your cash!

Oh, and here’s Athrun’s best weapon:

: I’m done hesitating to put my power to use! We can’t let mankind’s future be plunged into darkness, so I’ll take this new blade in hand and defend Orb and the world itself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkASDr9lrE

And the last of the Alliance mooks falls to Kira.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKEsz-2BzyA
I’m surprised they gave his regular rifle a DK.

With all that done, it’s just a matter of plowing through the Valleys real quick. Like I said, they’re stronger mooks than most, but still mooks. The Imperial Valley’s more of a HP-boosted midboss, so not all that dangerous if you just pack a few defensive spirits.

: Djibril’s gone, so we’ve no more reason to hammer at Orb. Rather, I’ll now protect it!
: The Linebarrel… your “potential” is beyond our jurisdiction, but…

: Holding back to check how they move is too risky… I’ll just have to wreck them as quick as can be!
: The Frontier Fleet’s proprietary VF-25… Its performance truly is strikingly superior to the VF-19…
: The speed with which they’ve progressed in less than two decades is very much worth noting…!

: Like Shikinami said, if they’re looking for a fight, we’ll have to give them one…!
: The Humanoid Decisive Weapon, Evangelion… information on this one is abnormally scarce. Just what secrets does it hide…?

: What’re you people after?! If you’re trying to turn this entire city into a battleground, then you’ll answer to me!
: The unit’s output is reaching heights far beyond what our spy at NEX reported… Is it a unique property of that “Flame”?
: We thought we’d gathered enough data, but it seems further observation is required.

This convo only plays against the Reeves, but screw it.

: The unit’s power is greater than it was before. How much will you grow…? How exciting, this.
: These’re the same guys that took Prof. Grife at Misaki, right?
: There were only a few pictures to go by, but they sure look like the ones.
: We might’ve been able to stop them if we’d made it over sooner…
: So I guess that’s a bit on us, too. We better help Ichitaka out with this and see if we can’t make up for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t__pb_E3qo

: We’ve little data on the Iczelio – too little… But it appears we won’t be able to collect any more.
: Yeesh, why’s that guy staring at me… Sicko!

: Well, don’t you got the worst timing in history! Djibril only got away ‘cause you turned up!
: If you are not piloting the Mazinkaiser, then you are worthless to us. Go and find some corner to yell from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN45wXecf5k

: I never seen you folks before, but try to mess with us and you’re gonna get it!
: We’ve no idea what they’re after, so don’t go too crazy, Kenji!
: Steel Jeeg… Let us have a look at the extent of your Bronze Bell’s power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u17WxacXM4

: The Voltes V…! How I hoped this would happen. I’ll be sure to enjoy facing you!
: drat it, we were so close to catching Djibril!
: Hiyoshi, if you’ve time to fume, then you’re better off focusing on bringing an even faster end to this battle!
: He’s right. Our main concern now should just be Orb’s safety!

: This pilot’s displayed that unusual power before. Let’s see how he’ll do against the new units…!
: What the… he’s looking at me?

: The Combattler V… It’s been active for over half a year already, so I’d expect the necessary data to have been collected, but…
: Guys, the enemy’s strength is a complete unknown! Normally, the best approach would be to try and observe them for a bit…
: Relax, Kosuke! The Combattler’s invincible! Whatever these guys are, we’ll make sure this ends with a V-Sign of Victory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUQ1DnCkHxs
Here’s the boss’ strongest attack.

: It’s very unlikely the Plasma Drive alone was strong enough to eradicate the Mimetic Beasts… Maybe a different approach’ll let us get some answers.

: …?! Its outer frame is…!
: I saw it too. It is nigh-imperceptible, but there are some similarities to the Rushbird and Straybird…!
: One of the 40 meter robots we left in Misaki… but now it is no more than a relic of the past. I wager it’s already been deemed unnecessary.
: …! Here it comes!
: Not giving us time to make sense of things, eh? Let’s get to it, then!

: Not bad at all, LOTUS! But this all fell within our estimates!
: D-Converter – maximum output! Let’s get this shakedown started!

*The Imperial Valley blasts off after Kira!*

: What…?!
: Hmhmhm… Yours may be a new model, but it is still a straight upgrade from the original Freedom! It’s not a match to my unit’s mobility!

*This cheeky mook runs circles around Kira. Heresy!*

: Urk! How is it so fast…?!
: Rising temperature detected around the enemy unit! Space time is beginning to be distorted!
: Not good…! If that unit runs out of control, this whole area’ll go up in smoke! We’ve to stop him, Haruno!
: We can’t – it’s already going critical! Simply shooting it down won’t be enough!
: Kira!
: RAAAAAARGH!

: Hrgh…!
: You…!
: Why’re you so surprised? You’re the one who showed me how wonderful it was to keep others safe! That it was worth risking your life for!
: Shinn, you…
: You said you wanted to defend Orb, and this entire world, right? Then you can’t go down like this!
: You’re right… we can’t let ourselves be beaten! We fight to keep others and the world safe, even if it costs us our lives!
: Pfeh, and just what can a single unit do?!
: Stop right there!

: What…?!
: Now! GO!!
: Athrun!
: I’m on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJdqIoq7D48
Athrun: “We can’t waste the chance Shinn gave us!”
By the end, Kira: “Thanks… Athrun.” > “You should thank Shinn as well, Kira…”

: I-It can’t be…! What the hell are you people…?!

: A continuous flurry of synchronized attacks …! How’d they improvise that…?!
: Athrun…
: Kira…
: The first unit went for the enemy’s engine, stopping it in its tracks, and the other two used that opening to tear it apart in tandem…
: I suppose they saved us today.
: Yuu… I’m sure you’ve realized it by now, but we cannot stand up to the enemy alone…
: … Shut up, Haruno. This is my battle, my problem. I won’t have anyone else interfere with it…!

: Ah! The Straybird!
: And, once again, when he’s gotta run off, he bolts. Reminds me of a certain pilot.
: (Yuu… What’re you trying to do…?)

: All of the Alliance and Unknown forces have been eliminated!
: Apologies, but could I ask you to come see me? I’d like to talk about Djibril and the unknown attackers.
: Understood, Rep. Athha.

Few convos we missed today:

: … Here I come, Wing Gundam.
: Don’t worry. It’s only natural for obstacles to be pushed aside. I’m not about to pay this any mind, either.

--

: As unsociable as ever, aren’t we? Careful: you might get me thinking you actually turned on us.
: The situation doesn’t really allow me to chat. Don’t take it personally.
: Right back at you, buddy-boy. Let’s get this show on the road, then…!

--

: You’re still hanging out with Djibril?! What the hell’s wrong with you?!
: I am just a nameless dog of the Alliance. And that is enough for now.

--

: How can you be fighting to buy Djibril time to escape…! Don’t you see that both him and his organization are done?!

--

: I won’t let you sow any more sorrow…! That’s what I got this power for, and it’s how I’ll use it!

Durandal is “so surprised” at seeing the thought-sunk Archangel showing up today, and Talia takes responsibility for not seeing through their “ruse”. She’s ready to face the music, if need be. Nah, it’s fine. Durandal won’t hold her to it, simply being amused at the ship living up to its tough-to-kill reputation.
Moreover, the good work Talia and the Minerva crew have done in Berlin, Heaven’s Base, and with LOTUS’ over battles far offsets this. He wants the ship to carry on cooperating with, and to leave it to the Preventers to find Djibril. They’ve an agent in pursuit, so he’ll let us know as soon as we’ve a fix on the guy.
As Talia confirms and signs off, Durandal’s deep in thought: “The Archangel… I suppose I still have use for it, as a necessary force for this world...”

By the Orb Army HQ, Cagalli’s just decked Yuna. She doesn’t intend on putting the whole blame for this on him, but, seriously, what the hell is this? Despite their differences, she at least expected him to share in her desire to keep their country safe. Yuna cries that he did, which is why he sought Logos’ influence. Cagalli has troops take him away before she wrings his neck.
Mighty kind of her for the guy that made a mess of her country, Duo sighs, but Athrun says the guy WAS trying to stop war from breaking out. Problem is he got tunnel-vision. Cagalli figures Yuna understands the huge mistake he did, and, maybe, that’ll help him grow into a better person.
Some people won’t admit their mistakes, though, namely Djibril. He still has Relena and Noin worries what he might do if we don’t find them soon. Cagalli says Orb must make amends after helping the guy, and promises her nation’s full cooperation to our cause.

There’s still the matter of the unknown group, though, and Kenji got the idea that they were using us for something of a test. What for? We don’t really know, Murrue sighs – not their goals, not their background. There’s only one thing she’s sure: their units get stronger with each encounter, and they’re using our own technology to do so.
As Ichitaka and Tsubaki gasp, Goh wonders how people could reverse-engineer our tech from just compiled data. That’s some major tech know-how they must have available.

Regardless, when Misato asks, Murrue says the Archangel’ll work with Lacus and continue their investigation into that unknown force. Neo Mu will also be coming along, and, yes, he’s remembered everything: who he is, who he loves, all of it.
Cagalli proclaims she’ll be joining them as well, entrusting Todaka and Kisaka to handle things here in Orb. Kira wonders if that’s the right thing to do, and Cagalli stomps that it absolutely is. Or doesn’t he trust her direct subordinates to be capable of this?
Goh explains that Kira’s just worried: the Archangel is still hurting, and they’ll be going after the Alliance. It’ll obviously be very dangerous. And, in that case, Athrun offers to come with – the Justice, Freedom and Akatsuki should be capable of standing up to whatever Djibril throws at them.

Shinn wonders, however, what’ll become of the Minerva with him gone, but Athrun’s sure the ship will be fine: “The Minerva still has you, no? You’re also a fully-fledged member of FAITH, so now it’s your turn to take charge and keep them safe.”
Can he do that? After all these times he’s watched and learned from Athrun as he thought, yes, he can! He’ll rise to the occasion! Seems like he’s legit, Heine laughs, so he wishes Athrun good luck out there.
Goh likes seeing how clear the ZAFT boys’ hearts are looking, but Ichitaka isn’t really listening. “The units that group used… It looked like Yuu had figured something out about them,” he thinks. “And their abnormal ability to analyze and work with our tech… You don’t think the professor…?”

: Our on-site crew has just sent a new report on LOTUS, and…
: Oh? They managed to stop the D-Converter right before it ran amuck…?
: It really does look like we were right on the money. LOTUS has much “potential” gathered in their ranks. Our options just keep on multiplying.
: How should we proceed?
: There’s been no change to the plan. Your top priority is still to carry on compiling data on them.
: As you command.
: Meanwhile, I’ll take this opportunity to head up into space. I’ve come to realize that with the professor’s brain on our side, finishing that also shouldn’t be just a dream anymore.
: Roger that. It shouldn’t be long before construction of the Humanoid models is complete. What should they do afterwards?
: Carry on as usual, and feel free to keep scanning his brain waves until everything is finished.
: Yes, sir…
: And now, my dear friends of LOTUS… What kind of powers will you show me next?

Cut back to us, Makoto’s gotten in touch with the Daiku Maryu with some urgent recall orders. They’ve pinged something with a blue pattern hanging in Earth’s orbit. They’re still trying to get details, but Misato agrees to the request.
As the call ends, she needn’t even ask before Lulu agrees to it: LOTUS is headed towards Neo Tokyo 3, on the double.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 1, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So the OG baddies finally show up and they... aren't invincible? And they get shot down?

Is this really a SRW game?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I can kind of understand you getting in bed with the Alliance to keep war from torching the country again… but what is the goddamn point of sticking up to Logos now?!

I imagine that's supposed to be "sucking up to".

In any case, the Seed destiny stuff is still as dumb as ever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

quote:

Regardless, what Misato asks, Murrue says the Archangel’ll work with Lacus and continue their investigation into that unknown force. ss]Neo[/s] Mu will also be coming along, and, yes, he’s remembered everything: who he is, who he loves, all of it.

That "what" should be "when", and the [s] tag is broken.

Most importantly though, every image in the epilogue is one place below it should be, with a random map image as the first.

Also important, that villain guy telling Koji to "find some corner to yell off" is hilarious. Best quote in the game.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Logicblade posted:

I can kind of understand you getting in bed with the Alliance to keep war from torching the country again… but what is the goddamn point of sticking up to Logos now?!

Nope, "stick up for someone" means "support someone"

And, drat it, I'll have to rearrange those pictures...

vvv Edit: What the... drat it!!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 1, 2017

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Ah, then sticking up for, rather than sticking up to. >_> <_<

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Logicblade posted:

It's been silly and all but like everyone from Destiny seem to be working together now and listening to each other and getting along. I guess the story surrounding it is still dumb but despite having a lot of the same setup everyone's being a lot more sensible.

Also man, he's stopped actively fighting everyone but Yuu's still such a loser.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

So the OG baddies finally show up and they... aren't invincible? And they get shot down?

Is this really a SRW game?

To be fair, this random mook just managed to back SEED Destiny Kira Yamato, with the Strike Freedom, into a corner. That's goddamn IMPRESSIVE!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's been silly and all but like everyone from Destiny seem to be working together now and listening to each other and getting along. I guess the story surrounding it is still dumb but despite having a lot of the same setup everyone's being a lot more sensible.

Seriously, it's amazing how much of a difference something as tiny as "what if these characters were actually reasonable people?" can make.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: Well, don’t you got the worst timing in history! Djibril only got away ‘cause you turned up!
: If you are not piloting the Mazinkaiser, then you are worthless to us. Go and find some corner to yell from.

Pfft. That's a pretty good :iceburn:.

Sadly, it's the only entertaining or interesting thing they've done this entire time.

I don't care that one of their command units can go toe-to-toe with Kira for a few seconds. At best, that puts them on the level of the original generation of Extended. Unless they start breaking out some really interesting storytelling from here on out, this group of OG baddies has already cemented their status as my least favorite by far.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

I don't care that one of their command units can go toe-to-toe with Kira for a few seconds. At best, that puts them on the level of the original generation of Extended. Unless they start breaking out some really interesting storytelling from here on out, this group of OG baddies has already cemented their status as my least favorite by far.

Oh, I didn't say it like that; I was just amused that, command unit or not, a random mook managed to actually pierce Kira's post-Strike Freedom plot armor.

And, yes, he got pressed by the Extended, but he was in the original Freedom then. As we're all well aware, him getting the SF is the SEED Destiny equivalent of Neo starting to see all the scrolling green text - nobody so much as scratched him past that point.
The closest anyone got was Rey somewhat pressuring him, and that did nothing to prevent FLAWLESS VICTORY.

And in comes this total mook, not even armed with a magic robot or anything, and proceeds to literally run circles around him and actually do damage (I forgot to take a picture, but he shaves off about 1/5 of Kira's HP with that). If anything, that gave me a chuckle!

Mind, I won't argue with your point that the OG faction has done precisely dick-all thus far. They've been hanging in the shadows, gave Yuu a pummeling, and were mostly an unknown factor for over 65% of the game (the finale's 41) aside from their sporadic appearances with the Archangel crew.

I like Ichitaka and Alice well enough, but, yes, the OG villains need to up their game now that they are finally starting to step out into the spotlight, or they'll remain so very forgettable.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 1, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I'm thinking that LOGOS, as military-industrial cartel that explicitly propagates conflict, is somewhat underutilized in the crossover.

To be precise, it would be interesting if LOGOS dismantlement hit heroes, too. In sneaky ways.
JUDAS? Minor partner, medical supplies for EA and some of foundation research behind Extended.
Dannar base et. al? Lobbied for by LOGOS and supplied by LOGOS corporations, so now they face downsizing and lack of supplies.
NERV is also suffering from finance cuts due to main armament supporter being LOGOS (this is a nice justification for not rebuilding defense grid)

And so on. Basically, yeah, LOGOS is full of despicable human beings and backs Blue Cosmos, but cleanup threw out baby with the water.

NHO fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 1, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

NHO posted:

I'm thinking that LOGOS, as military-industrial cartel that explicitly propagates conflict, is somewhat underutilized in the crossover.

To be precise, it would be interesting if LOGOS dismantlement hit heroes, too. In sneaky ways.
JUDAS? Minor partner, medical supplies for EA and some of foundation research behind Extended.
Dannar base et. al? Lobbied for by LOGOS and supplied by LOGOS corporations, so now they face downsizing and lack of supplies.
NERV is also suffering from finance cuts due to main armament supporter being LOGOS (this is a nice justification for not rebuilding defense grid)

And so on. Basically, yeah, LOGOS is full of despicable human beings and backs Blue Cosmos, but cleanup threw baby with the water.

Now that's an interesting idea. Though it would probably introduce a degree of moral gray that SRW isn't comfortable with.

e: Nerv would be hit particularly hard. It gets brought up a number of times how strained their budget always is, and how reliant they are on their logistical infrastructure. LOGOS being outed should have caused a major disruption in the supply chain as the companies they controlled were thrown into chaos by the sudden loss of leadership.

e2: I mean, if you think about it, financially partnering with a super robot lab or organization would be a huge windfall for a defense contractor in a corrupt government. After all, what part of their R&D budget they don't spend, they get to keep. So they find some genius robot builder and lobby on their behalf for funding from a government (while also preventing the lab from securing funding directly). The government foots the bill, the contractor takes care of materiel, and the genius builds their robot more or less by themselves. Personnel costs are minimal, and these things never seem to fail or go beyond their financial means, so history would indicate that any investment is extremely likely to produce good returns. Even if they only ever build one super robot, it's not like this costs them any of their own researchers or factories, and maybe they sneakily get the rights to mass produce whatever magical energy source the super robot runs on.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 1, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What's in space?

What's in space, Djibril? Is your human soul being weighed down by gravity?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

What's in space?

What's in space, Djibril? Is your human soul being weighed down by gravity?

Knock it off Char, you're not even in this game.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Alacron posted:

Char should be in every game

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
One minor nitpick I've always had is I think both suits would be better named as Infinite Freedom and Eternal Justice.

Also gently caress off Goh, you are not an Old just because you're over 21.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

One minor nitpick I've always had is I think both suits would be better named as Infinite Freedom and Eternal Justice.

Also gently caress off Goh, you are not an Old just because you're over 21.

To be fair, Goh's 29 which puts him squarely in the "old man" category in anime.

That goes double when the average age of our MCs is somewhere in the 13-16 range.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Back again, and not much has changed here. I did notice that Kenji’s lagging a wee bit behind on levels, which strikes me as odd.

As for upgrades, the EVA-01 got brought up to 50% and its Squad Bonus is now: Mobility +15, Accuracy +15, A rank on Land, Range +1.
Remaining amount of cash went into giving Alto, Shinn and the Nagahamas a few pips here and there. I reckon I’ll be getting them to 50% next.

Speaking of the EVAs, they’re all deploying as event units today. We’ve 19 slots again, so here’s how we’re going:
Ozma/Luca
Shinn/Domyoji
Daiya/Quatre
Lee/Norza
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Voltes/Yanma
Alto/Michel
Combattler/Dick
Kouichi/Puria
Goh/Anna
Tetsuya/Canaria
Yamashita/Rey
Kouji/Yagyuu
Dancouga/Hilde
Iczer-3/Deceive
Ichitaka/Miu
Jack/Duo

Off we go.

Misato’s already arrived, and Makoto’s grateful for her haste. Not like we can expect the Angels to care about what’s convenient for us or not. Regardless, Makoto reports that the 8th Angel has been spotted right outside Earth’s atmosphere. One of NERV’s satellites got a look at the thing and it is positively humongous. Worse, its A.T. Field also seems very strong – enough to warp the light around it.
Misato already knows the answer, but figures she might as well ask: it’s dropping towards NERV, isn’t it? Yes, the MAGI say that’s 99.9999% likely. The SDF tried bombing the Angel with N² Mines, but that did precisely zilch; plus, the distortions it’s causing in space-time around it make taking potshots at it pretty much impossible.

In other words, we can’t push it off course and it’s looking like the Angel itself is one giant bunker buster headed towards us. According to our estimates, when it goes off, it’ll obliterate everything in a 420km diameter, 15km deep: there goes the entirety of Neo Tokyo 3, and Central Dogma’ll be easy pickings.
And what does Gendou have to say about this? He wasn’t present when it all started going down, having been summoned to an urgent meeting. The Angel’s presence is sending EM waves across the upper atmosphere, so we can’t reach the guy.
Seems like Misato and the others will need to handle this on their own, then. She has them get in touch with the Japanese government and order an evacuation of every civilian within an 120km radius.

Misato’s later sitting at the Quarter’s briefing room, still trying to figure out what to do. Goh’s got nothing as well; the thing’s like a giant meteor with an A.T. Field Izuna sighs.
We’ve no way of attacking it head-on, we can’t snipe it down like in Operation Yashima, and not even all those N² Mines did anything. Shinn’s getting worried, and Ichitaka wonders if it really is game over for us. Misato says nothing, but asks that they give her some time to think.

: So, you are saying that if the Angel falls to Earth, it’ll trigger this “Third Impact” and erase all of humanity…?
: That’s RIIiight! However! It is possible LOTUS could IMPEEeeed it!
: … In other words, you wish for us to prevent that?
: I cannot act overtly just yet… HOWEVER! I can deploy a few forces of my OOoownnnn!
: If all goes well, the Cthulhu shall claim Earth with nary an effort. A FIIiine proposal, no?
: As you will. I’ll send my troops towards the surface, and I’ll be expecting your reinforcements.
: You may count on MEEeee. Today shall mark the final moments of these foolish organics! BRRRUUUAAAaaah!

(I want you to know that I did not exaggerate this dialogue in any way, shape or form. Emperor Wakamoto is going all out for this one.)

: Whaat?! You want us to catch it?!
: That’s the best idea you could come up with?!
: It was, yes. An EVA will catch it with its A.T. Field as it comes crashing down. And since we can’t get a precise take on its trajectory, we’ll be deploying all three to better adapt on the spot.
: No need. I’ll just wreck that bugger myself.
: That’s not going to fly. It’s a wide area where we’re projecting its point of descent – a lone EVA can’t cover all that.
: You’re serious that it’s actually possible to straight-up catch that thing…?
: Wouldn’t you need, like, something way bigger than any of our guys to be able to pull that off?
: In truth, even the MAGI are giving this a 99% chance of failure… Can this plan of yours even be called a strategy?
: At least it’s a 1% chance of success.
: You’re counting on a miracle. Better we focus on something tangible, like getting Lilith and the #01 to safety.
: I’m not “counting” on anything. We’ll be creating our own miracle… with a little something called human determination!
: It does sound like a very dangerous plan… but it’s the only one we’ve got, it seems.
: Still, I like the idea of making our miracles happen.
: Yeah, you’ve pulled off some crazy stunts before and it all paid off.
: Um… What did she say the chances of success were?
: Ah, that’s anyone’s guess, really.
: Hmph, deadweight like him’ll just hold me down! I’m all you need to protect mankind!
: Enough with that, Asuka. I’m sure even you can see that that’s not the way…
: Asuka, this operation isn’t depending on solo-combat scores.
: You’re selling my talents short, eh…
: I’m not. But it’ll take all of your combined strength… all of LOTUS’ combined strength to make this miracle happen…!
: … Well, you’re the one in charge, so I can’t really say much about this. But I seriously hope you haven’t forgotten how I trashed the previous Angel.
: And what will the rest of us be doing, Col. Katsuragi?
: You’ll be on standby in the combat area, just as a precaution.
: Roger that. Go get yourselves ready to deploy, people – make sure everything’s looking good!

Mission 28 – A Broken Promise

Further south…

: This shelter won’t be doing us much good if that Angel falls here, will it? (Hikari)
: Oh, then why do we need to stay here…? If the thing won’t help, then we’d be better off staying outside to watch the EVAs!
: Kick some rear end, Shinji! You better save our world!
: Are you three ready? We’re still running the numbers on the Angel’s projected point of descent; you’ll need to rush over to it as soon as we have it tagged!
: And don’t forget to connect your cables to the power supply buildings near you!
: How did you know where to place us?
: Call it woman’s intuition.
: That sounds reliable…
: Calculations are complete. Displaying the projected point of descent now!

: We can’t rely on secondary data anymore, so any further decisions will have to be made as we go! We’re betting everything on you kids!

*Alarm!*

: Detecting several heat sources on rapid approach! It’s!

: Forward, Dilos Thetas! Crush these disgusting humans to dust!

: Like clockwork… Deploy all troops!

: The Cthulhu?! Why’d they have to turn up now?!
: Does that mean they don’t care if the Third Impact happens?!

*Looks at the different enemies.*

: They even sent out some new troops. Guess they’ve no problem with the whole world getting covered in that dead, red sea before they start their immigration!
: Hey, Cthulhu! You better give Nagisa-1 back right now!
: Don’t, Iczer-3. All those robots are drones, I think.
: Baah…! And I’m sure that granny’s camped out here somewhere…!
: All troops, open fire! Don’t let the enemies block the EVAs! Shinji, Asuka, Rei, you need to get to that spot on the double!
: Yes, sir!
: Good luck, everyone!

Thankfully, Sahaquiel is very patient, so there’s no timer hanging above our heads. Any EVA can reach the market spot (though you should do it with Rei or Asuka, FYI), so it’s just a matter of carving through the Dilos and the new Regulus Alphas without losing any of them or a ship. The latter are pretty much the only ones that can pop our A.T. Fields, mind.
That said, all in all, the gameplay part of this mission is pretty much filler. We’ve had way worse fights, so the new mooks shouldn’t tip the balance against you.

The Regulus Alphas are particularly dangerous, and there are 5 of them. Sporting 28k HP, plus a Spherical Barrier that reduces all incoming damage by 1500, they’re quite hardy for mooks.
As far as skills go, they can do both types of supports, but the good news is that they’re flying – so they can only support each other.
Finally, they only have a single attack which, while packing some not-insignificant firepower, is only 1-3 range. That’s easily outranged by a good chunk of our forces, so focus fire them down as soon as you’ve built up enough morale. The second they’re downed, the EVAs pretty much cannot be killed.

: I can’t let them pin me down…! Here goes! I’ve to make this as fast as can be!

: We won’t make it in time if we let them stall us…!

: We’re busy now, if you pests can’t tell! I’ve no time to waste on you – OUT!

: … Hey, are those really Cthulhu? Sister Gray didn’t tell me anything about stuff like that.
: True… they kind of feel different from the others…
: Whatever – the fact is they’re enemies. We can sort out who they are after they beat.
: Bit of a rash way of putting it, but she’s got a point. Keep an eye on these new units and carry on covering the EVAs, people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8o38NPsiZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZNvzzh_J8Q
Since we’re not on a timer, I’ll let Norza and Lee have some fun on their own. Plus, it lets me show off their slick DKs.

And, boom. Just make sure, to give you some leeway, that Shinji still has his move once Rei or Asuka tag the spot.

: Alright, looks like they made it in good time!
: All that remains now is to catch the creature. Hopefully it goes well…
: We’re detecting a shift in the target’s A.T. Field! It’s changing course!
: What did you say?!
: Recalculating the point of descent! Transmitting new coordinates!

: We’re cutting it too close! All EVAs, head to the new point! Hurry!
: Easy for you to say! We’re running as fast as our legs let us!

: Enemy reinforcements have deployed around the target area!
: Those little…! They don’t know when to quick bugging us, do they?!
: Save the complaints for later! We need to get rid of them quick!
: She’s right. Clear a path for the EVAs!

And, NOW, you need to hurry. You’ve three turns to get to the new spot, which is why I said to keep Shinji’s turn. Casting Accel, he should make it just fine – just make sure the enemy doesn’t wall him out. Or, if you’d like, just kill everything and Shinji’ll get in the spot. Either way, carry on as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0kB10uVUYs
Oh, and I JUST remembered that I never showed the DK for Dimension Storm. I was rather disappointed that the Rushbird doesn’t teleport away amid all the smoke like the Zeorymer did…

: You’ve three minutes left! Please hurry!

: Two minutes on the timer! Make it happen, Asuka, Shinji, Rei!

And here we go.

: The Evangelion’s reached the target area!
: The target’s closing in! Distance: 12km!

: It’s time, Daddy’s Boy, Wonder Girl!

*Rei and Asuka also get in position.*

: A.T. Field… deployed…!

: GAAAAAAAAAH!!

: It’s bypassing the A.T. Field and attacking the #01 directly!
: Stay strong, SHINJIII!

: Gurgh! Kch… rrrgh…!
: Daddy’s Boy!
: I… I’m holding it…! H-Hurry!
: #02 – the core!
: I know! Don’t tell me what to do! SORYAAAA!

*Craash! Woosh!*

: I missed?! This “core’s” moving all over the drat place!

: Asuka, HURRY!
: I am hurrying! But I can’t get a shot…!

*Tweeooop!*

: Kch…!
: Wonder Girl?!
: I… I’ve the core…! Q-Quick…!
: Fine, I’m on it! HAAAAAH!

: The Angel’s confirmed destroyed! All EVA units are crippled.
: They… They did it…!
: Yeah. Time and again, they manage to outdo themselves…
: Well, I’ll be… A miracle actually happened.
: No, those kids made it happen… My biggest thanks to everyone for their work!

: How in blazes…! But I cannot return empty-handed, or an execution is all I’ll find…!

: What?! There’re still more?!
: I can at least shatter your bulwark against the Third Impact – the Evangelion!

: UWAAAH!
: His Field isn’t deploying!
: Shinji, you alright?!
: Y-Yeah…!
: Resilient cockroach… Even after that battle, you still stand?
: But seeing as how your barrier did not deploy, I’d wager your concentration is in tatters. Then it is just a matter of ending this!

: Daddy’s Boy, gimme a hand. We’ll show this mook who it’s messing with!
: Us, getting beaten up by this thing after all it took to kill that Angel?! How could we ever live that down, right?!
: Huh…?! Shikinami…?
: You too, Wonder Girl! On my mark, blast it with everything we got and then the kid moves in for the kill!
: … Roger.
: (Psh… I guess I am going soft…! But, what the hell, let’s try some teamwork for once!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o9YfNzIjRk

: Wh-What?! They spent all their remaining energy on that life-threatening offensive...! drat it all…!

*Power dooooooown.*

: Psh, we cut it a bit closer than I thought. We’re out of gas…
: S-Sorry. I took a bit too long to get in position…
: … Eh, you didn’t do too bad. It’s just a matter of getting used to it now.
: Shikinami…
: No more enemy signals on radar. Situation is green!
: Whew… We managed to pull through again…
: Chalk it up to all the close calls we’ve had, I guess.
: Comm. systems are back online. We’ve an incoming call from Cmdr. Ikari.
: Put him through.
(Gendou): …
: Sir, I personally elected to deploy the EVAs and, as a result, they’ve all suffered major damage. I apologize and take full responsibility everything.
(Fuyutsuki): It’s no problem. The target was destroyed, so we should count ourselves lucky that this is all the damage it caused.
(Gendou): Correct. You did well, Col. Katsuragi.
: Thank you very much.
(Fuyutsuki): We still need to deal with the brass a bit longer, it seems, so it’ll be another while before we’ve returned.
: Understood.
(Gendou): … Put me through to the #01’s pilot.
: …! Yes, sir!
(Gendou): I’ve heard what happened. Good job, Shinji.
: A-Ah?
: … Thank you…!
(Gendou): Col. Katsuragi, I’ll leave the follow-up work in your hands.
: Yes, sir!

*Bloop.*

: Recover the three EVAs, quickly now! And will LOTUS be joining us on the Geofront again?
: That’d be just fine. Slow ahead, Bobby.
: Aye, aye!
: (I heard that right, didn’t I…? Dad… gave me a compliment?)

: The 8th Angel was eliminated. Very well done, Ikari.
: …Hm.
: Only a few more remain, and then—
: There’ll be no more Angels.
: This world is… different. It’s not the world that was promised to you.
: Excuse me…?
: Was he the only one who noticed?
: Ikari…?!
: … Though I had no tangible proof.
: This world is too distorted to carry out the script to its end.
: According to a memo left by Ishigami, all of this was seemingly preordained. The outbreak of the invasion from a parallel world, the appearance of a different lineage of humans… It is all a within the universal cycle of death and rebirth.
: And you both knew this…?
: We are truly sorry, but we only came across this information recently.
: Said memo was described as no more than “estimates from a companion”. We needed to confirm its contents.
: But you should have figured it out by now. There's too much foreign matter in this world. The Dead Sea Scrolls Apocrypha is a no-go.
: Then… our Project is…
: Better luck next time, I guess? At the very least this world is headed to a different ending.
: A different ending…?
: (And depending on what they do, this might just be one where he can be happy…)

You know, despite the abruptness of it all, I had a big giggle over SEELE getting the rug yanked out from under them so unceremoniously. The fact that the last game I played was MX made it even more amusing to me.

*Elevator door opens.*

: Ah—…!
: Daddy’s Boy!

*Hold the door! Door closes!*

: Hey! Stand back, you; this is my personal space you’re in!
: B-But there’s only so much room in here…
: Psh…
: U-Um… Do you mind if I ask why you decided to pilot an EVA…?
: Now that’s a dumb question. I did it for myself, nothing more. What about you?
: I… I’m not sure…
: Are you stupid? Way I see it, you’re just dodging the subject.
: … Maybe I wanted my dad to compliment me?
: Today was the first time he did anything of the sort… my dad acknowledged what I did…
: … You really are stupid.
: And, by the by, I noticed how you called me by my first name during that mess.
: O-Oh…
: Bah, whatever… “Asuka” is just fine. I might start calling you Stupid Shinji, too.
: Asuka…

The bosses are back in NERV HQ, and Gendou wasn’t really surprised to find out that SEELE was basing their script on the undisclosed Dead Sea Scrolls Apocrypha. Not that it matters, as both their shady cabal an NERV have just lose their reason for being. What now, Fuyutsuki wonders.
Gendou says they’ll simply carry on down their own path. After all, it is not by the hands of others that wishes are made real – it must be done with one’s own strength, no matter the cost.
So they’ll keep going despite not having the script to guide them anymore? Indeed, that’s the answer Gendou found. “Whatever could be waiting for us in the future… Hahah, I think I’m too old to be getting this excited,” Fuyutsuki laughs.

Touji and Kensuke rush on over to find Shinji and thank him for saving the city again. Hikari’s also tagging along – they wanted to check on their friends after word got around that we had the rest of the day off. Rei assures her that they’re all fine, while Nagisa extends warm greetings to Shinji’s classmates. Kensuke, of course, is deeply honored to speak with the LOTUS folk.
Anna has a laugh at how nervous he is, and tells him to relax. We don’t bite… though Goh admits there are a few crusty folks in our bunch. “Waaaaaaah! Goh Saruwatari! The real Goh Saruwatari, hero of the War of Giants! Duuuude, this is awesome!” Kensuke flips out. “Ooh, no, is that Daiya Tsuwabuki over here?! And is that… HYOUMA AOIIIIIII!”
While Touji tells him to quick with the pointing and yelling, Hikari thank us all what we’ve done today. Touji is man enough to admit that when he heard our plan was just to catch the Angel, he figured that not even Shinji could keep this from going south big time.

“But he always finds a way to bring home the bacon,” Kouichi cheers, “That’s what makes him the MAN!” N-No, not at all, this win was only thanks to all of us, Ayanami and Asuka; the girl likes hearing that, since, as we know, “Stupid Shinji couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag without our help.”
Hey, now, since when are they calling each other by their first names? Ichitaka knows this trope: the flower of love, blossoming after two people risk their lives fighting together! Now that’s the stupidest thing Asuka’s heard ALL MONTH, and she demands that Shinji stop stammering and deny it firmly!

Regardless, Nagisa saw fit to draw upon her cooking experience from Nyan-Nyan to whip up lunch to our folks. Daiya and Tetsuya are blown away by all the tasty-looking food, and, yes, she made it all herself, with some help from Anna and Lou. It’s not often we get a chance to put our feet up, so they wanted to help make it even better.
Goh and Johnny love it all, but the biggest surprise is that even Shinji saw fit to put together a few lunch boxes of his own. And it is unexpectedly good – enough that even Asuka, Tetsuya and Shizuna have to admit it.

Seems to Touji that the kid’s got a few other skills outside of his regular “save the world” job, but Shinji’s already satisfied if everyone’s happy. Men that are skilled in the kitchen are quite popular with the girls, Shizuru notes… b-but that’s not what he’s after.
Only one who isn’t eating is Rei, but not because it tastes bad: she doesn’t eat meat. No problem, as Shinji’s got some miso soup ready and hands to her. “It’s good… Thank you,” she says, and everyone does a double-take. That’s the first time Touji’s ever heard her thank anyone else.

But all is not roses, as Risako calls Kouichi with a question: is he a Factor? Is that how he got so strong out of seemingly nowhere? After all she’s seen, including the realization that Kouichi’s piloting one of those robots, she put two and two together. He meant to tell her eventually, but she’s not mad. He’s been fighting to protect the world all this time, no?
Not quite: this would be too much for him alone. But now he’s got a bunch of teammates to help. And he helps them in turn, however he can. “Hahah… I can’t believe it’s really you saying that. Bigmouthed Kouichi’s turned into a real Champion of Justice, huh?” she laughs.

Kouichi mentions that he spoke with Yajima – the guy has stuff he needs to talk to her about, but it might be a while. That’s fine, she’ll wait until he decides to come over. In the meantime, Risako asks Kouichi not to do anything too crazy out there. Whatever happened to his body, he’s still the same Kouichi she knew all these years.
Wishing him good luck, she ends the call and leaves the kid to his thoughts: “I’m waiting too, Yajima… Hurry up and tell her, man.”

Cut to Dragon’s Hive, F.S. has just heard of SEELE’s Human Instrumentality Project going kaput, and both he and Tanaka know what that means: it’s only a matter of time before he makes his move. Or, actually, he may already have started: the new MP unit the Cthulhu fielded today have been deemed likely to be his pawns.
Seems to Tanaka that they must trigger the Dancouga’s awakening ASAP, and F.S. agrees: humanity has very little time remaining.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 3, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So yeah, for those wondering how Eva's plot ends in this game "the other two movies aren't done yet so this is as much as we can adapt safely."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
: Well...

: ...poo poo

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So they just say "nope, no more Eva plot"?

That's amazing.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

: Well...

: ...poo poo

: :haw:
: ...
: ... I told you we should've gone with the Devil Gundam plan.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Do the Angels give up too? I'd like to see them having that same conversation about too many variables. With Kaworu there, naturally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm surprised this is how they decide to end the Eva plot. Not come up with an original ending or even just saying at the end of the game "well I guess we haven't resolved the EVA plot yet but we'll be prepared when it happens" just straight up say 'nah that's it the plot just ain't going to happen. Dimension's messed up or something'. Though I guess that's certainly still a way to handle it.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
: This is it, I'm afraid. The end of our plot thread.
: What!? But we're not even halfway through the story!
: Closer to a third, actually, but what follows is somewhat irreversible, and nobody wants to lose a pilot. This is not remotely the most absurd thing I've seen happen to that end. More to the point, there's a saying in this world. "Robot 101 is essential curriculum." With so much background for multiple plot threads left unexplained, with the expectation that the player is fully familiar with the source materials, this universe simply cannot tolerate the added burden of your unassailable vagueness to be included any longer. As such, the apocalypse has officially been cancelled.
: You can't do that!
: I just did. There's nothing more to say. We're done here. Thank you for participating. Now go home. Do not waste time trying the old scenario. Do not scheme with the other enemy groups to undermine LOTUS. Please just go.

:allears: The sheer audacity is rather admirable.

I could make an effortpost about how the way they beat the colony drop angel doesn't really work out, but I don't feel like it right now.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is why you adapt the completed work, not the half completed one. I still think it's a sight better than Z3's handling of 3.33 It all happens off-screen

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

There seem to be quite a few SRW plots where Gendo just gives up.

: Well, better luck next time.

: Yeah.

Next time:

: Okay, this time I managed a Second-and-a-half Impact. And almost nobody noticed.

: Sorry, I think this other bunch of Angels banished us from their universe so we wouldn't steal their spotlight.

: drat.

Next time

: Okay, you weren't even trying this timeline.

: Second-and-a-half Impact got eaten by Mazinger Zero and a dragon.

: And Shinji had too much to live for to destroy the world. Must be that thing called "handing him over to Bright at the first opportunity," you know.

: If it's all the same to you, I think I'll just come to terms with my wife's death while the rest of you are off fighting Stalkers in Space for a year.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Man with SEELE gone those dudes that make ominous slabs with numbers on them are gonna go out of business super fast.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Onmi posted:

This is why you adapt the completed work, not the half completed one. I still think it's a sight better than Z3's handling of 3.33 It all happens off-screen

I can't help but wonder why they're so averse to doing Rebuild up until Zeruel, and then fill in the rest with EoE stuff instead of going the way of Near-Third Impact.

The producers aren't keen on BP writing an ending of their own for something that's still ongoing, I guess?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Boy, I'm sure glad that Shinn gets his resolution with Stella and can take out his frustration on Neo, the guy who literally used drugged children as child soldiers and committed serious warcrimes.

Oh, wait, he got his memories back and we're just going to completely ignore all of the stuff he did?

I know SEED Destiny is filled with bad decisions, but that one always stuck out as one of the worst.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I can't help but wonder why they're so averse to doing Rebuild up until Zeruel, and then fill in the rest with EoE stuff instead of going the way of Near-Third Impact.

The producers aren't keen on BP writing an ending of their own for something that's still ongoing, I guess?
My personal theory is that something behind the scenes at Gainax is throwing a wrench into all of this. Gainax wants the exposure of Rebuild since it is (technically) new and fresh, but then holds stuff back for some unexplained reason. Whether it be upper management dicking things over or even Hideki Anno exercising his power of director's veto like he did for SRW F, there is something going on with the Evangelion license that is causing Banpresto to dance around things in a silly fashion. Which is where the idea of "use the TV series/End of Evangelion to fill in gaps" hits a snag, since that'd probably be extra licensing costs Banpresto would have to deal with. So yeah, I really wish Gainax would let Banpresto go all out and have some fun, since even with what little happens in L, they've still managed to do something quirky with the plot. On the flip side, Kaworu dropping in to repeatedly slam the door into SEELE's face for five minutes is hilarious regardless of context.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Even the Angels are tired of Logos's poo poo and have noped out of the story.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Alacron posted:

Of course not. Destiny is Bootleg Zeta, we have Even Worse Disguise Quattro!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do kind of appreciate that the Angels understand when Third Impact might get jacked out from under them. It's like, what if you did Third Impact but all that did was wake up Cthulhu? Who wins then?

Well, Cthulhu, which is the point.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If I cared very much for Rebuild, I'd probably be very annoyed at how Banpresto's handled the series so far.

As is, I'm mostly just amused.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

If I cared very much for Rebuild, I'd probably be very annoyed at how Banpresto's handled the series so far.

As is, I'm mostly just amused.

Feels like they're handling it better than the studio at this point, given how long it's been since the last movie.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Brunom1 posted:

: In truth, even the MAGI are giving this a 99% chance of failure… Can this plan of yours even be called a strategy?
: At least it’s a 1% chance of success.

Where's Taiga when you need him to talk about turning non-zero odds into 100% likelihood with the power of Bravery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

One post to set us up for a new page, and...

• Locked thread