Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Always be lootin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Listen to the sixth sense (leave it be)

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Take it, but don't wear it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum- That line is from a video game. Sadly I’ve forgotten which one. Maybe White Crane remembers. Edit- I just remembered- Metal Gear. :)

Yup. MGS1, I think.
Anyway, let's leave the cursed bracelet alone.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
LOOT the cursed golden thing.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

That bracelet is giving off some bad juju, and the Sixth Sense story isn't making me feel any better about it.

I feel really bad about this, but I say briefly break Rule 2 of Kai Guidance and not loot the bracelet.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Materant posted:

I feel really bad about this, but I say briefly break Rule 2 of Kai Guidance and not loot the bracelet.

"Always trust Sixth Sense, not that it's ever useful"* is Rule 4.

not loot the bracelet.

*At least 12 times during the series, Sixth Sense / Divination / Detect Evil are completely useless.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Leave the bracelet. It seems not the Lone Wolf style, but blatant trap is TOO blatant sometimes...

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ulmont posted:

*At least 12 times during the series, Sixth Sense / Divination / Detect Evil are completely useless.

I think we had a running counter on that one, didn't we?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulmont posted:

"Always trust Sixth Sense, not that it's ever useful"* is Rule 4.

not loot the bracelet.

There was a section recently with one of those blind choices these books love so much where one path led to a baknar fight and the other bypassed it. The book gives you the option to use Tracking there, which tells you that there is a baknar down one of the passages but not which one it is. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Grand Master Sixth Sense is called "Telegnosis".

Anyway, the bracelet is a mind control device that would have let Vonotar kill us instantly. Oh, and the book tells you to add the Bracelet to your action chart before telling that, which is really just adding insult to injury.

The Caverns of Kalte posted:

Turning a corner, you breathe a sigh of relief. Behind you all is silent. But you become aware that the low rumbling sound you detected earlier is much louder in this corridor. A few yards along to your left, a short passage leads to a closed stone door.

Healing: +1EP (29/30).
Investigate the door (west) or continue down the corridor (north)?

I think we're sighing with relief because the barbarian isn't following us, because this is also where you end up if you successfully run or hide from him.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Investigate!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The thing about it is that if you have Mindshield, you can protect yourself long enough to yank the bracelet off again with no ill effects, so it's essentially just another place for us to heal up.

(the death text, though, is genuinely chilling).

Investigate

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Investigate

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Investigate door.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Investigate noise

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

There is a lever in the wall and a spy-hole in the centre of the door. Peering through the spy-hole, you see a strange sight. A man in a dark robe is kneeling in the centre of a pentacle chalked on the floor of the chamber. His head is bowed and he seems to be in a trance.

Healing: +1 EP (30/30).
Open the door and talk to him or leave him there and walk away?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

No option to stab away? TalkI guess.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hello sir. Can you give me a reason to stab you?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Materant posted:

I think we had a running counter on that one, didn't we?

Yes. If you have archives, it's over here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469040#post400988043

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and Grand Master Sixth Sense is called "Telegnosis".

Telegnosis is used more for spirit walking and telepathy. There is a Kai-Alchemy spell called "Detect Evil" which almost completely fails to do what it says.

Tiggum posted:

Investigate the door

Investigate the door

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Counterpoint: leave the dude alone, he's clearly busy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

No option to stab away? TalkI guess.
Attacking him unprovoked does seem a bit extreme.

As the stone door grinds open, the man jerks his head back in surprise. ‘Who’s there?’ he whispers, in a thin strangled voice. His eyes glint from beneath the shadow of his ragged hood. Suddenly he seems to recognize you and jumps excitedly to his feet.

‘The gods be praised, a Kai Lord! My name is Tygon. I’m a merchant from Ragadorn. The Ice Barbarians kidnapped me in Ljuk and brought me here. I now await an audience with their new Brumalmarc, the Sommlending sorcerer they call Vonotar: it seems that he shall decide my fate. But if you free me from this sorcerer’s pentagram, I’ll aid you as best I can.’

You recognize the pentagram to be a circle of binding, a magical prison that can only be broken from the outside. You can easily wipe away part of the circle and free this man.
We could free him or leave him here, or we could ask him a question to check his story. Like, "Who is the ruler of Ragadorn?" or "What's the name of the river that runs through Ragadorn?" or "What's the name of the tavern on Barnacle street?"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This sounds fishy, but we have a magic sword and are itching to stab.

Free him, then attack.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Ruler's name could be common knowledge outside the realm, tavern sounds too specific if they aren't local to that district, ask the river name as that's something someone who lives in the country is likely to know.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
A merchant should know goings on a the public house. Tavern name

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Broken Box posted:

Ruler's name could be common knowledge outside the realm, tavern sounds too specific if they aren't local to that district.
Ragadorn is the little town we washed up in after the shipwreck in book two. It doesn't exactly have districts.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Ask about the tavern

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

Ask about the tavern
OK.

The man hesitates and then answers. ‘Why, the Rusty Anchor Inn, of course.’
Should we now free him or leave him and continue down the corridor?

There's no option to free him and immediately attack, so we'll just go with freeing him and seeing what happens (if we take that option). The book also doesn't allow you to ask more than one question, so hopefully that answer was enough to base your decision on.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Wasting a circle of binding on merchant is fishy.

If we can't go stabbity, stabbity, leave him.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

Ask about the tavern

This would have been a much better plan if we had visited the tavern in Ragadorn in Book 2.

You have to get rescued and robbed by fisherman, and then track them down at the North Star Tavern to learn that name.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Free him.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Do not free the lying tricky person. Maybe we can come back for him after we find Vonotar, but until we deal with our target he could be a liability.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

A simple merchant, held prisoner by powerful magic? Sounds legit. Let's free him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Do not free the lying tricky person. Maybe we can come back for him after we find Vonotar, but until we deal with our target he could be a liability.
You know we're never coming back.

On the west wall of the corridor you see another stone door, with a small spy-hole cut into the centre revealing a cell on the other side. An old man is huddled in the far corner of the cell, his face and hair matted with blood and dirt. His blue robes are so filthy that the crescents and stars embroidered on them are almost totally obscured.
Should we open this door or ignore it and keep moving?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

*Opens door* Hey dude, how's the whole "being a prisoner in a horrible monster jail" thing working out for you?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Open the door. Wanna peep that robe.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wizards have no sense of right and wrong, so best to have one on our side. Open the door

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Free this prisoner. The fact that he's not in a mystic circle is proof that he is human where the last one probably wasn't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

‘Upon my soul, a Kai Lord!’ he exclaims, his eyes now wide with astonishment.

‘How I’ve prayed for freedom, for deliverance from this infernal place. And although hope never deserted me, I never expected such an illustrious rescuer.’

In the middle of his excitement, the old man is suddenly disturbed by a fit of coughing that leaves him pale and exhausted. It is a few minutes before he can speak again. ‘My name is Loi-Kymar. I am an elder of the Magicians’ Guild of Toran,’ he says, slowly removing a small crystal star pendant, the symbol of the guild, from beneath his tattered robes. The guild is known as the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, and the magician shows his pendant as proof of his identity. You ask him how he came to be imprisoned here in Ikaya, many hundreds of miles from his native Toran.

‘Vonotar, that unspeakable wretch, is responsible for my plight. Days before the Darklord invasion of Sommerlund, he betrayed your Kai masters to win power—the black power of death and darkness. However, he failed to play his part in the war plans his evil masters had laid. The Darklords do not tolerate such weakness—mercy has no place in their brutal minds. In the bitterness of defeat, they sought to destroy Vonotar for his crime of failure. Vonotar knew that I possessed the only means to effect an escape from their vengeance, for my Guildstaff has the power of teleportation. He tried to steal it and flee to the safety of Ikaya by himself, but he learnt that its power is not for all men to share; only I am blessed with its secret. He was angry and would have murdered my kinspeople had I not agreed to bring him here, so I had no choice but to do so.’

‘Ever since, I have been a prisoner in this cell. Vonotar has tortured my body and my mind, but I have not divulged the secret of my Guildstaff, which he now keeps in the Hall of the Brumalmarc. For if I were to tell him, my life would no longer be of any value.’

You tell Loi-Kymar of your mission and of the events that have led to your meeting. He offers to show you a route through Ikaya to the Hall of the Brumalmarc where Vonotar now resides as ruler, and if you can retrieve his Guildstaff, he promises to teleport you to the coast in time to rendezvous with your ship.

For the first time since you fell into the caverns of Kalte, you feel confident that your mission can now succeed.
Want to see the weirdest numbered section we've encountered so far? Turn to 192. Yep, there's no text, just a question. The previous section is 56, where you meet Loi-Kymar, and contains no decision or condition, it just directs you straight to 192 - which, as far as I can see, has no reason to exist.

Also, if he's been a captive for over a year, I feel like we should have known about it. That should have been major news and a possible secondary objective for our own mission.

Oh, one more thing; bypassing Loi-Kymar puts you into a dead-man walking scenario because we're not done with those yet.

‘Follow me,’ says Loi-Kymar. ‘I’ve listened to the sounds of Ikaya for over a year, and the secret sliding doors and the hidden routes here are no mystery to me. I have learnt more about these corridors and passages from the confines of my cell than Vonotar has discovered with all of his cunning.’

You follow the old magician through a network of secret passages and tunnels, up long flights of stairs and into chambers dark and cold. At the top of one very steep staircase, you come to a stone door. A strange, sickly smell is seeping from a small spy-hole. ‘The kitchens,’ whispers Loi-Kymar, showing his distaste for Ikaya cuisine by sticking out his tongue and grimacing.

You can see that this secret door opens next to a fireplace in which burns a roaring fire. Hanging over the fire is a large stone cauldron of gruel. Two Ice Barbarians sit at a table nearby with empty bowls in front of them.

The Ice Barbarians are taken completely by surprise. You have killed one of them before the other has time to react to your attack. He is unarmed but determined to fight you.

Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 25

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 25
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 28
Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 27
Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 0

You drag the bodies out of the kitchen and prop them behind the secret door. When you return, Loi-Kymar is busy examining the bottles of herbs that line the kitchen shelves. He pockets several jars and mixes the contents of two others in a small stone bowl. He offers you a handful of the dry leaves and urges you to eat them. ‘They will restore your strength, Lone Wolf.’ You eat the sweet tasting herbs and feel a warm glow radiating throughout your body. Restore 6 ENDURANCE points to your current total.

Endurance: 30/30

‘We’re on the same level as the Hall of the Brumalmarc,’ whispers Loi-Kymar, peering through a crack in the kitchen door. ‘It’s at the end of this corridor.’

Two Ice Barbarians stand beside the jewel-encrusted doors that lead to the great hall. They are covered from head to toe in strange bone armour, and armed with crystal swords. The old wizard steps back from the door and says: ‘We must deal with them silently and swiftly.’ He takes three jars from his pockets and mutters a strange incantation as he mixes the contents together in a stone bowl. There is a pitcher of water on the table. He splashes a few drops onto the herbs, and wisps of blue smoke arise. ‘This will silence the guards if we can move it close enough to them.’

Loi-Kymar hands you some strips of cloth with which to plug your nostrils. You take a deep breath, pick up the bowl of smoking herbs, and leave the kitchen. Using your Kai Discipline of Camouflage to blend in with the shadows of the corridor, you edge your way nearer and nearer to the unsuspecting guards. You leave the bowl in the shadow of a pilaster and return to the kitchen to wait for it to take effect.

In less than a minute, the Ice Barbarians collapse to the floor and you approach the Hall of the Brumalmarc undetected. You are delighted to discover that one of the great jewelled doors is unlocked. Preparing yourself for attack, you gently push the door ajar and enter Vonotar’s chamber.

The Hall of the Brumalmarc is a vast chamber constructed of crystal blocks rising to a central plateau. On this stands the Brumalmarc throne, as old as Ikaya itself. There, Vonotar sits, surrounded by the tomes and eldritch trappings of a necromancer. He is rapt in study and does not see you enter the hall. He remains oblivious to your presence until Loi-Kymar sneezes.

‘Who dares disturb me?’ he hisses, rising from the Brumalmarc throne, his eyes searching for an intruder. Upon seeing you, he emits a horrified gasp and fumbles for his black staff. He has the look of a criminal who has been discovered in the act of some dreadful crime. Quickly you raise your weapon and begin to climb the crystal pyramid. You know that you have little time to reach him if you are to overpower and capture him alive.

You reach the edge of the plateau in time to see a wide circle of blocks descending around the throne. Between you and Vonotar, a deep moat is forming. Then from the depths of the moat you hear a ghastly, inhuman gibbering. You brace yourself for combat but are totally unprepared for the horror that now faces you. From out of the dark slithers a huge, ghoulish, green monster. Its deformed head is a mass of tentacles and suckers that ooze a putrid black slime. At the centre of this writhing mass a hideous yellow eye pulsates. Vonotar has control over this monster and he is directing it towards you.

The tentacled horror rises from the moat and attacks you. You glimpse Vonotar raising his black staff and fixing his gaze towards Loi-Kymar. He is attacking the old magician with his Mindforce. You realize that if Loi-Kymar is killed, the secret of the Guildstaff will die with him.

Before you can do anything else, you must fight the monster to the death. This is an Akraa’Neonor: one of the undead. Remember to double all ENDURANCE points lost by this enemy during the combat, due to the power of the Sommerswerd.

Akraa’Neonor: COMBAT SKILL 23 ENDURANCE 50

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Akraa’Neonor: COMBAT SKILL 23 ENDURANCE 50
Combat Ratio: 6

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 29
Akraa’Neonor: COMBAT SKILL 23 ENDURANCE 28

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 29
Akraa’Neonor: COMBAT SKILL 23 ENDURANCE 0

If the fight had taken us more than five rounds to finish - :rolleyes: - then Vonotar would have escaped. This is the one and only time in the entire series you can fail your mission without dying, and the later books just do not account for it at all. I guess Dever assumed that you'd always go back and retry it if you got the bad ending.

And remember how I said we missed out on a useful item earlier? It was an effigy of the Akraa’Neonor that would have allowed us to skip this fight entirely. If you don't have the Sommerswerd or the effigy then the Akraa’Neonor has only 22 Combat Skill instead of 23 and gives you seven rounds to win instead of five. :geno:

As the vile Akraa’Neonor quivers and dies, Vonotar breaks off mind combat and runs back towards the Brumalmarc throne.

Loi-Kymar is badly shaken but he has survived the ordeal. He quickly joins you at the edge of the moat and casts a handful of herbs down into the darkness. Within seconds, a mass of vines and creepers coil upwards to form a bridge. You are halfway across the bridge when Vonotar suddenly reappears, a crystal rod held high in his hand. He takes aim at the mass of creepers and a chilling cone of frost hurtles from the rod’s tip.

Healing: +1 EP (30/30)

You point the Sommerswerd towards Vonotar’s crystal rod. In an instant, the cone of frost arcs away from the bridge and shatters against the golden sword. You hear Vonotar curse you as, once again, the power of the Sommerswerd saves you from his destructive magic.

‘Your time has come,’ shouts a voice, but it is Loi-Kymar and not Vonotar who now speaks. A knot of herbs flies through the air and hits Vonotar squarely in the chest. In an instant, the hunchback wizard is engulfed in a tangle of vines that ensnare him from head to toe. Loi-Kymar bridges the moat with more creepers and joins you on the platform.

‘Be sure to remove his rings and amulets,’ he says, as he busily searches for his Guildstaff. ‘He is a master of trickery. We would not want him to miss the special homecoming that awaits him in Sommerlund.’

You marvel at the old man’s composure. After such a desperate fight, he seems completely unruffled. ‘Ah! Here she is,’ he announces triumphantly as he withdraws his Guildstaff from beneath the Brumalmarc throne.

You pass him your map of Kalte and point out the location of the Cardonal. ‘I’ll not be needing that,’ he replies, a little contemptuously. ‘Maps are invariably wrong—I prefer to rely on my own sense of direction.’ The old magician raises his staff and a dazzling beam of light shoots from its tip. He makes three wide sweeps of the air and the Hall of the Brumalmarc is transformed into an umbrella of colour.

As the colours fade, you become aware of a sudden drop in temperature. You now stand upon the Ljuk ice shelf at a point less than half a mile from where the Cardonal lies at anchor. Loi-Kymar and Vonotar are close by, both shivering in the chill morning air. Within minutes you are sighted by the ship’s lookout and a longboat is dispatched. As a wriggling Vonotar is hoisted unceremoniously aboard the Cardonal and deposited in the brig the captain is the first to congratulate you on your skill and daring.

‘But how did you manage to return so quickly?’ he asks incredulously. ‘We were not expecting you for another ten days.’

‘Let us say,’ interrupts Loi-Kymar, ‘that the wisdom of the Kai and the lore of the Magicians’ Guild can surpass the limitations of even time itself.’

A puzzled expression crosses the captain’s face, but it is gradually replaced by a smile as he begins to understand the magician’s curious answer.

Your journey to Anskaven is swift, but you are saddened by your memories of the brave guides that were left behind. Your arrival in the port is greeted by an anxious crowd. They fear that your early return is a sign of your mission’s failure. When the news of Vonotar’s capture becomes known, your warrior skills are required once again; this time in the defence of your enemy against the seething mob of outraged Sommlending that assault Anskaven gaol. Safe passage is eventually secured to Toran, where trial awaits the traitor.

Upon the dawn of the feast of Maesmarn, in the depths of the Guildhall of the Crystal Star, Vonotar the Traitor is tried by his brotherhood and found guilty of his terrible crimes. He is led away in silence to the deepest chamber of the Guildhall, wherein lies the Daziarn: a portal of total darkness, the door of an eternal prison from which there can be no escape.

You are the avenger of his crimes, and it is you who cast the wretched traitor into the limbo of Daziarn. Your mission is now completed. You have survived the caverns of Kalte and freed Sommerlund from the menace of Vonotar.

But the heat of battle and the challenge of a new and desperate quest awaits you in Book Four of the Lone Wolf series entitled:

The Chasm of Doom

The Project Aon footnote for this section helpfully points out that the Daziarn is the name of the place the portal goes to, not the portal itself, which is a Shadow Gate. And that's it! Yeah, everything happens pretty fast at the end there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final stats for book three:

Action Chart
    Combat Skill: 29 (17)
    Endurance Points: 30/30 (26)

Kai Disciplines
  1. Animal Kinship
  2. Healing (Regain 1 EP per section)
  3. Camouflage
  4. Mindblast (+2 CS)
  5. Hunting
  6. Sixth Sense
  7. Mindshield

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS)
  2. Tooth-Encrusted Bone Sword
    Backpack:
  1. Meal
  2. Meal of laumspur (+3 EP)
  3. Meal
  4. Laumspur potion (+4 EP)
  5. Laumspur potion (+5 EP)
  6. Rope (1/2)
  7. Rope (2/2)
    Gold Crowns (money): 10

Special Items:
  • Map of Sommerlund
  • Helmet (+2 EP)
  • Shield (+2 CS)
  • Map of Kalte
  • Padded Leather Waistcoat (+2 EP)
  • Baknar Oil
  • Firesphere
  • Blue Stone Triangle
  • Diamond
  • Ornate Silver Key

Notable Achievements:
  • Took a child hostage.
  • Reached Ikaya.
  • Captured Vonotar the Traitor

Missed Opportunities:
  • Didn't pick up the Blue Stone Triangle.
  • Didn't find the Silver Helm.
  • Didn't find the Akraa’Neonor Effigy.

Kills:
  • A baknar
  • Six barbarians
  • A crystal frostwyrm
  • An Akraa’Neonor

Deaths:
  • Killed by a kalkoth outside Ikaya.

Total deaths so far: 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

For me, this is a pretty average book in the series. It's got some bits I like and some I'm not so keen on. I would probably have preferred to spend more time inside Ikaya rather than getting there, and even so there are better journeys in later books.

There are at least a couple of things we missed that could have been pretty interesting. One is the Silver Helm. Say what you will about the Firesphere, I feel like the helm is the big treasure in this book. Unlike a regular helmet, this one gives you +2 CS instead of +2 EP. Doesn't seem like a huge advantage, but if you want to be truly overpowered then you need every CS boost you can get.

The other is the bad item I mentioned we could have gotten earlier for smashing the demon statue. It's treated really casually in this book, but the "glowing crystal" (that will kill you if you hang onto it) is actually a Doomstone, an ancient evil artefact created by a being known as Agarash the Damned. We'll encounter others later and they're going to be much more significant.

Otherwise I don't think we missed anything particularly significant, so we may as well get on to book four.