Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yesterday marked the official 10 day countdown! Everything seems to be in place. I hate making a seating plan.

And shout-out to BlueNile for their speedy delivery service, I waited til the last minute to order my fiance's wedding ring and it arrived within 3 days of me placing the order!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Is it bad form to ask for contributions from guests to a honeymoon fund instead of gifts? Fiancee and I have absolutely no use for in kind gifts via a registry so she wants to set up a gofundme type site for the honeymoon, but I have this impression its bad manners.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

tom kite posted:

Is it bad form to ask for contributions from guests to a honeymoon fund instead of gifts? Fiancee and I have absolutely no use for in kind gifts via a registry so she wants to set up a gofundme type site for the honeymoon, but I have this impression its bad manners.

Nah it's not bad form imo, I've heard of a bunch of people doing that now and one of my friends did as well. I think it's typically older generations and younger ones that follow old ways that see it as bad manners. I had a friend ask for money for different things on their honeymoon, like $500 gave them a couples spa day etc, obviously 500 was not expected from a single person, but people chipped in what they could. My friend and his fiancee had bought a house together already, fully furnished it, and had all the stuff they needed, so it would have been a waste to get regular gifts.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

tom kite posted:

They make websites where you basically pick activities you want to do on your honeymoon and people pitch into them like its a registry. We're doing it now and haven't heard any complaints. Then the site just gives you the money.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

They make websites where you basically pick activities you want to do on your honeymoon and people pitch into them like its a registry. We're doing it now and haven't heard any complaints. Then the site just gives you the money.

I've heard plenty of complaints from my parents' generation, but I gave them the "well we are adults who have been living together for years and have everything we need, so get us nothing then". We've still gotten some kitchen stuff we don't need anyway. None of our friends/cousins have batted an eye.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
We basically said all we wanted was for people to turn up and celebrate with us, but donations to a home building/buying fund would be greatly appreciated. Most people kicked in 20-50 bucks each in a card which was more than I expected really- we only invited nearest and dearest for the most part so giving the wrong impression wasn't really an issue. Our set up was fairly casual/backyard too. Having cultural ties that give you precedent for receiving cash gifts (I'm from south East Asia for instance) helped as well.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I had no registry, asked for nothing, and everyone gave cash and checks. Worked out for the best.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We had a registry but most of our gifts were gift cards and money. Doing a Honeyfund is in no way bad manners. You could say something like "In lieu of gifts, a contribution for our honeymoon would be appreciated." You're still going to get a few gifts.

https://www.theknot.com/content/best-honeymoon-registries

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
We did a Zola cash honeymoon fund that just handed us a ton of money, it was great. (And we had a great time on our honeymoon!) That said, 90% of our guests were traveling so we definitely phrased it as "the only gift we want is the pleasure of your company."

Also worth noting; Lots of friends tried to tell us we would "make back the cost of the wedding in gifts" and that was definitely not the case. I believe modern etiquette does dictate that, if you are traveling (on a plane), you either don't have to get a gift or you can get a smaller gift than you might otherwise.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

tom kite posted:

Do it! One of my two actual regrets from my wedding is doing an actual gift registry instead of a fund for a house/honeymoon/other large couples purchase. I got married a little over two years ago and I'd say about half of our wedding presents are still in their original boxes. The things that we did open are pretty sweet (like the Zojirushi rice maker our MOH got us) but we have a bunch of plate sets and crap like that which were relegated to "next time we move we'll donate our old stuff and replace it with present stuff", and then we moved and said "we'll open these when we buy our own place" lol

A friend of mine recently got married and one of her gift requests was to donate to a fund so that they could buy a new mattress. I wish we had thought of that!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 22, 2017

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Being east asian, most people just give a bunch of money. The biggest thing though is that you're expected to give that same money back for their future kid's weddings or for their weddings. The exchange of money is real though - I've been getting $200-$300/person in the past few days from people where my parents had attended their weddings.

Getting married this saturday!~

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My partner has ordered the ring and I know it'll all be 'official' after a big holiday we're going on in November. We've been together for seven years and known each other for 12. Knowing I'm going to become one of the engaged is really weird though, it's nothing like having cold feet but it's strange wrapping my head around what will ideally be a forever commitment... Even though that's what it's been for a long time now. I assume this is a common feeling?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Tomorrow's the big day! No ragerts

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Bollock Monkey posted:

My partner has ordered the ring and I know it'll all be 'official' after a big holiday we're going on in November. We've been together for seven years and known each other for 12. Knowing I'm going to become one of the engaged is really weird though, it's nothing like having cold feet but it's strange wrapping my head around what will ideally be a forever commitment... Even though that's what it's been for a long time now. I assume this is a common feeling?

My husband (!) And I and were together for 5 years when he casually asked if I wanted to head to the jewelry store. After we ordered the ring, picked it up, and were in the car leaving to store, I got the super-romantic, "So, you wanna?" To which I replied, "Yeah, I guess." We just got married this past Sunday, 3 1/2 years later.

I cried almost the entire ceremony.

So. Yeah. It doesn't seem to matter if you've already been together, were committed, whatever. It's a totally different step and level.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Weather was great, everyone showed up, nothing went wrong. Success!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Same!!!

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
Got married for the 3rd (final) time in April. Seeing as this was not the first time for my now wife and I, we decided to have some fun with this and got married at the local nudist resort. We had a pretty good turn out, 50ish people.

The Mrs wore a very skimpy see-through outfit, I wore a tacky tuxedo print t-shirt (nothing else). Was a blast. Service was free. Friend brought the jello shots. Party went on all night.

We are looking forward to our 1 year anniversary.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's...quite a party! Any hilarious stories? ;)

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

silvergoose posted:

That's...quite a party! Any hilarious stories? ;)

Best man and I were totally stoned. It was a blast. We pretty much all were. It was more of a pool party with a mid-day wedding than anything else.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Does anyone know of a good display box for bouquets when dried? My brother's wife has one she apparently got at anthopologie that was discontinued years ago and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of hits googling around. Am I going to have to go pay through the nose on etsy or repurpose something?

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Does anyone know of a good display box for bouquets when dried? My brother's wife has one she apparently got at anthopologie that was discontinued years ago and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of hits googling around. Am I going to have to go pay through the nose on etsy or repurpose something?

Did that years ago. It's expensive to have things perma sealed under glass.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lifg posted:

I had no registry, asked for nothing, and everyone gave cash and checks. Worked out for the best.

I'm getting married in January. We have no registry set up either, but people keep asking. My mom thinks saying "no presents, but if you really want to give, just do cash or whatever" is insanely loving tacky. Fiancee and I both disagree because who the gently caress cares. If you're that against giving cash, then don't give us anything. We don't need it!

We've lived together for a few years now and don't need anything. We're thinking of just throwing some nice-to-haves like tools and poo poo on an Amazon registry for anyone who just can't fathom not buying something or giving cash.

On another note, we finally started bugging the poo poo out of people to loving respond to the RSVP already. I know it's expected that people wait til the literal last minute to respond, if they respond at all, but it's driving us loving crazy. We're having a semi-destination (Tahoe, we live 90 mins away but all our family is out of state) wedding, so being able to plan accordingly in advance is extremely helpful. Also, the rooms at the resort are selling really goddamn fast since it's a winter Tahoe wedding right in the middle of ski season. Not to mention lead time for booking flights.

On the good news side of things, we're actually way under our expected yes', so we were able to invite less family and more good friends. Super looking forward to it!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 28, 2017

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We've lived together for a few years now and don't need anything. We're thinking of just throwing some nice-to-haves like tools and poo poo on an Amazon registry for anyone who just can't fathom not buying something or giving cash.

Yep, that's what we did. We had lived together for five years already, so the stuff on our registry was "upgrades" of stuff we already had, like a nice set of pots and pans and silverware, and some fun stuff like camping gear and a bed for our dog. We only had about 40 things on the registry and I think we only got maybe 15 things that were on there, the rest was money or miscellaneous gifts.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My mom thinks saying "no presents, but if you really want to give, just do cash or whatever" is insanely loving tacky.

My personal opinion about that is that if people think it's tacky they're welcome to 1. Not do it themselves for their own wedding and / or 2. Get you nothing for the unforgivable sin of not wanting more bullshit consumer goods.

It can be good to "upgrade" the stuff you have, I've heard--if you don't have nice towels and sheets, for example, those can be quite pricey and a good thing to ask for. But I bought us expensive towels and sheets over a year before we got married so who gives a poo poo. No one came to me about it but if they had my canned line was going to be "I'm sorry you feel that way! We've already decided to do it this way and we hope it doesn't ruin your experience of our wedding."

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Is it weird that I am weirded out by the fact that my ex sent my husband and I a congratulatory wedding card and cash?
Like. We're friends, but he was my first truly serious relationship, I was his only, and when my (future) husband and I started dating, he snorted at me and said "good luck with that".
Like. When broke up nearly a decade ago, and are definitely still text-level friendly.

But.

This is weird right? It feels weird.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
That is weird. That's the sort of thing I used to do when I was a proper nutter. Definitely weird.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I hope all my ex's send me cash for my wedding

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Any good suggestions for groomsmen gifts? I'm trying to avoid the cliche of personalized wallets/cufflinks/flasks/etc but drawing a blank on alternatives. I thought about buying my groomsmen each a SNES classic (there's only 3 of them so it wouldn't break the bank) but finding the actual items is a bit tough at the moment.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My husband bought steam points for his groomsmen v:v:v

e: he also booked and paid for high quality shaves for the day of the wedding, if you're interested in making sure everyone looks spiffy

coronatae fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 8, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Any good suggestions for groomsmen gifts? I'm trying to avoid the cliche of personalized wallets/cufflinks/flasks/etc but drawing a blank on alternatives. I thought about buying my groomsmen each a SNES classic (there's only 3 of them so it wouldn't break the bank) but finding the actual items is a bit tough at the moment.

Notebooks? Fountain pens? Shaving kits? Personalized/fancy dice? Tamagotchi with a prize for whoever's lasts the longest? Wax stamps with personalized emblems/monograms?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Any good suggestions for groomsmen gifts?

We got the best man thorn dice 3d printed from Shapeways (D&D nerd), and then because we got a crazy good deal on the suits we actually gifted all the groomsmen their suits, ties, tie clips, and shoes. Ran about $1500 for 5 guys.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I gave these wicked nice coffee thermoses that keep coffee warm forever.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Check Etsy for customized versions of stuff you'd use in activities you do together with your groomsmen.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
The best bridesmaid / groomsmen gift imho is glassware. We have been given wine glasses and steins and rocks glasses and we both treasure them and use them constantly!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm debating gifts for mine too.

Half of us play on the same beer league hockey team. I was looking into getting some custom flags made with our logo on them, which seem to run $100-160 each. We've always talked about getting a team flag for when we go to tournaments and poo poo.

The other half I grew up with. We have a tradition of going out for chicken wings every time we go home for Christmas and do a ranking system and poo poo for them. I had my bachelor party this past weekend, and one night we went out for wings with the whole group. We did our ranking and poo poo as typical, and then ended on the hottest wing they had to offer. It was some hellacious sauce that was a combo between Carolina Reaper/Trinidad Scorpion/Ghost Peppers. They were so goddamn hot, a couple of us ended up puking (a first) and all of us ended up with liquefied GI tracts.

I'm trying to order bottles of that sauce for everyone kind of as a gag gift.

Most of us are into guns, so I was debating something gun-related, but I live in CA and couldn't get anything cool anyways.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Self-plug here, but my hubby and I have a side business etching glasses. We typically do 22oz beer steins with geeky things on them but since we do it without a laser it's just as easy to do 1 of something as it is to do multiples. We've done lots for groomsmen gifts, some of which were even hand-drawn images that we then turned into the design on the glass. There are limitations to the amount of fine detail but here's an example of some of the ones we've done (sorry, glass is really hard to photograph)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I got my guys knives.

Also, it's official: I'm married now. Went pretty smoothly, aside from difficulty wrangling family and some inefficiency on our end (not the venue's) getting us switched from outdoor to indoor contingency, because it rained.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Self-plug here, but my hubby and I have a side business etching glasses. We typically do 22oz beer steins with geeky things on them but since we do it without a laser it's just as easy to do 1 of something as it is to do multiples. We've done lots for groomsmen gifts, some of which were even hand-drawn images that we then turned into the design on the glass. There are limitations to the amount of fine detail but here's an example of some of the ones we've done (sorry, glass is really hard to photograph)

These are pretty nifty. Do you have a website? What's the usual turn around on an order? My wedding is the 11th of November, so not a huge rush but not a lot of time to waste either.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I had gotten big into wet shaving a year or so before I got married and put together custom shaving kits for my groomsmen, with razor/brush/soap etc. all handpicked by me. It was cheap enough that I even had the budget to put them together for my dad and now-father-in-law. Of the five people that entailed, I don't think any of them actually used their kit :lol: I also made sure my best man got laid after my wedding, which is a way better gift IMO

I like the idea of taking them out for a good shave and haircut before the wedding, I got pitched on a package like that but it was in the city where I was living at the time, which was several hundred miles from where the wedding was held.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

These are pretty nifty. Do you have a website? What's the usual turn around on an order? My wedding is the 11th of November, so not a huge rush but not a lot of time to waste either.

Our etsy page is on vacation right now because we just recently had our first baby, but we're still taking custom orders. Our Facebook page is still up but emailing us at thekiffers at gmail is probably the quickest way. We can definitely get stuff shipped in time for Nov 11th. Send us the designs you have in mind and we can give you a quote or go back and forth on making it work for the medium.