Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

KennyMan666 posted:

So, the closure of the Wii Shop Channel has been announced. It's going to be possible to buy more Wii points until 2018-03-27, and you can keep buying things until 2019-01-31. After that you can still download things you've bought. This does include doing it from the vWii in the Wii U, so it's not like DSiware where it closed up on the DSi but stayed available on the 3DS.

Okay, being able to redownload wasn't spelled out for me elsewhere, so that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it possible to buy there on the WiiU from a region not supported officially?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 29, 2017

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

So what's exclusive, and also good, on the wii shop channel?

If you put aside the VC games and the shovelware and the software that would let you watch Netflix in glorious 480i... I can only think of a couple of things on there. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles My Life as King/Darklord, which weren't terribly good...

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Golf Story is basically Mario Golf minus Mario.

Though I'm hoping it gets more difficult later on; so far I've oneshot 95% of the first course's challenges.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Castlevania Rebirth and the Contra and Gradius Rebirths are cool and that's the only place they exist afaik.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wall monitor posted:

If you put aside the VC games and the shovelware and the software that would let you watch Netflix in glorious 480i... I can only think of a couple of things on there. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles My Life as King/Darklord, which weren't terribly good...

La Mulana is a game that demands to be ported to the switch eshop

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wall monitor posted:

As a general sweep of what's missing for VC games (good or otherwise); a couple of N64 games (Bomberman Hero and Cruisin' USA), Sega system games in general (Master System and Genesis/Mega Drive), and about twice as many TurboGraphX titles as the WiiU has.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rondo of Blood isn't available legally any other way afaik and that's a hell of a game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's an unlockable in Dracula X Chronicles on PSP/Vita, but that's probably an even more obscure way to play it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't think the Master System games are available anywhere else, are they? I know a couple individual titles are unlockables in other collections, like the original Phantasy Star are in the X360/PS3 MegaDrive collection, but not as a general purchasable releases anywhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want to say there's some on 3DS but I might be thinking of the Game Gear games that are on there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I want to say there's some on 3DS but I might be thinking of the Game Gear games that are on there.

You might be thinking of the three in the 3D Classics Collection; Fantasy Zone 1&2, and Maze Hunter 3-D.

I still wish we'd get the 1st and 3rd compilation sets (by the Japanese numbering), because they have the really good games in them :sigh:.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Rest in peace Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth, the last Castlevania game that was ever released

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harmony of Despair is a good game.

Gradius got it worse than Castlevania, the game they released after Rebirth was fuckin' Otomedius.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I just want to mention how much I love Golf Story. Mario Golf on the GBC was one of my favorite games on that system, and nothing had ever come close to matching it.

But now we have Golf Story, and I freaking love it!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The TurboGrafx-16 CD (Why does my phone have an autocorrect for this?:lol:) version of Dracula X is a must buy on Wii VC. It's way superior to the lame SNES version.

This article has a bunch of other good suggestions: http://retronauts.com/article/602/16-games-you-need-to-buy-on-wii-virtual-console-before-its-too-late

Picking up all the M2 WiiWare games is another must.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 29, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ZAXXON

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

At some point I must have completely stopped paying attention to the Wii VC because I had no idea Phantasy Star 4 was released on it. It's really a shame that the Wii VC wasn't fully ported over to the Wii U and Switch...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PneumonicBook posted:

At some point I must have completely stopped paying attention to the Wii VC because I had no idea Phantasy Star 4 was released on it. It's really a shame that the Wii VC wasn't fully ported over to the Wii U and Switch...

Phantasy Star 4's available in quite a few collections on other consoles, along with Steam as a standalone purchase.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Maybe I will make a list of the best WiiWare and VC games, I plan on booting it up and snagging a few that I missed

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's a sale on the BoxBoy! games on the European/Australian eShop - they're 25% off until the end of 26th October.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

There's a sale on the BoxBoy! games on the European/Australian eShop - they're 25% off until the end of 26th October.

boxboy! games are great. underrated little HAL labs series that nintendo shoved out with minimal fanfare but they are really addictive little puzzle platformers. also qbby should be in smash bros.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

boxboy! games are great. underrated little HAL labs series that nintendo shoved out with minimal fanfare but they are really addictive little puzzle platformers. also qbby should be in smash bros.

side+b: make a box
d-tilt: make a box
u-smash: take a fuckin guess you'd better believe this insanely cool dude is gonna make a box

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This week's drop.

Switch
88 Heroes - 98 Heroes Edition | NA | PAL | $29.95 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (Oct 10 NA / Oct 6 PAL)
ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug X | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Axiom Verge | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £14.99 / €17.99 (eShop / Retail) (Oct 5 (Digital) / Nov 17 (Retail))
Earth Atlantis | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £ ? / €14.99 (eShop Only)
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £11.99 / €14.99 (eShop Only) (Oct 3)
Ninja Shodown | NA | PAL | $14.95 / £9.99 / €12.99 (eShop Only)
Oxenfree | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only) (Oct 6)
Stardew Valley | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £10.99 / €13.99 (eShop Only)
Tiny Barbarian DX | NA | PAL | $29.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (Oct 10 NA / ? PAL)
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle | NA | PAL | $29.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (Oct 10)
Tumblestone | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £11.99 / €12.99 (eShop Only)
Volgarr the Viking | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)

WiiU
:effort:

3DS
Culdcept Revolt | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £39.99 / €39.99 (eShop / Retail) (Oct 3 NA / Oct 6 PAL)
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99 (eShop / Retail) (Oct 6)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (October 6)
Symphony of Eternia | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)

Lots of big releases this week.

Stardew Valley is finally releasing on the Switch, so you can chill and farm to your heart's content. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is supposed to be a really fun couch co-op game. Volgarr the Viking is a frustrating platformer, supposedly similar to Ghosts 'n' Goblins. Axiom Verge is a Metroidvania which may or may not be good, depending on who you ask. I guess keep your expectations low? The ACA NeoGeo game this week is Metal Slug X, which is an enhanced remake of Metal Slug 2. Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle looks anime as gently caress. I don't even know what kind of game it is. Ninja Shodown an arcade-y action platformer, with co-op. Earth Atlantis is a side-scrolling shooter with unlockable vehicles and weapons, and a sort of monochromatic "sketched" art style. Tumblestone (not to be confused with Tumbleseed) is non-F2P Match 3 game. Tiny Barbarian DX is an action platformer which supports co-op. It's published by Nicalis, and like Binding of Issac: Afterbirth+ it's getting a retail release, with some goodies included. No word yet on a European/Australian release from Headup Games yet. 88 Heroes - 98 Heroes Edition is also getting a retail release, it's a single-player only action platform game.

On 3DS, some big retail releases - Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy is new Layton, starring the Professor's daughter Katrielle, and her dog. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions is a remake of the GBA RPG, with a new mode added to it. Culdcept Revolt is a board game/collectible card game, there have been a few entries in the series but I don't think many of them have been released in the West (certainly not in Europe). Symphony of Eternia is a tactical RPG.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 5, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxenfree is a really cool horror/walking-sim/choose your own adventure type thing and probably the best thing out this week, unless you don't already have twelve other versions of Metal Slug.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

Axiom Verge | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £14.99 / €17.99 (eShop Only)

I don't think AV is eShop only, it has two different physical editions you can get from retailers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manky posted:

I don't think AV is eShop only, it has two different physical editions you can get from retailers

As the AU release date for the Multiverse Edition is currently December 31st, I'd say it's digital now with a physical release TBD.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As the AU release date for the Multiverse Edition is currently December 31st, I'd say it's digital now with a physical release TBD.

Ouch! Fair enough

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I was surprised to see AV on the list because I had just searched it and came up with an Oct 17th release date, so presumably the physical release will be later this month.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Manky posted:

Thanks, I didn't realise it was getting a retail release. But yeah, even in the US the Standard and Multiverse editions are listed as November 17th release on Amazon.

e: Actually Amazon.co.uk lists it as November 17th also, it doesn't look like an import either because it's listed as sold by Amazon and has the PEGI logo on the artwork.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 5, 2017

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

irlZaphod posted:

Thanks, I didn't realise it was getting a retail release. But yeah, even in the US the Standard and Multiverse editions are listed as November 17th release on Amazon.

e: Actually Amazon.co.uk lists it as November 17th also, it doesn't look like an import either because it's listed as sold by Amazon and has the PEGI logo on the artwork.

It's showing 17 November on Amazon.com as well. I've pre-ordered it because I want the Amazon discount and the map that comes with the Multiverse edition of the game.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

Oxenfree is a really cool horror/walking-sim/choose your own adventure type thing and probably the best thing out this week, unless you don't already have twelve other versions of Metal Slug.

This. I got it free on Xbox one and it is fantastic.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time is great. Got it with PS+ several months back and had a ton of fun playing with friends.

You basically work together piloting and defending a big space ship, running from control station to control station as needed. It's really good, except that all the ships besides the base model and its upgrades kind of suck, or at least my friends and I couldn't get into them.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Me and my friend who's been my primary co-op partner for many years played through Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime on PC back in July, it was an absolute blast. I absolutely recommend it but only if you have at least one friend to play with, I can't see it being anywhere near as fun playing on your own.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What's Culdcept like? I think it's the first getting a release in Europe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's revolting

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

What's Culdcept like? I think it's the first getting a release in Europe.
Its like Monopoly + Yugioh, you roll around the board but instead of building houses and hotels you're summoning monsters to protect your territory and invade the others players'. its pretty good

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Anything like the Command Board in Birth by Sleep?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

homeless snail posted:

Its like Monopoly + Yugioh, you roll around the board but instead of building houses and hotels you're summoning monsters to protect your territory and invade the others players'. its pretty good

That sounds like fun. I will buy.

I can't believe two more 3DS games I want to play just came out and I'm not even done with Samus Returns yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

wall monitor posted:

Bobby Carrot Forever is a kinda pricy puzzle game that looks pretty good and isn't on anything else afaik.