Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo, what mod is this from, LEX? :staredog:

Yep, it's the children of the stars crises/mini crises from LEX. Six angry robots that can travel half way across the galaxy in a single jump that create star spawn whenever they destroy a ship, which in turn divide into slightly smaller star spawns whenever they're killed.

I think in my game I killed 1500 of them before I was able to resolve the situation, with the rest of the galaxy downing another 2000.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Best part is, that isn't even remotely the nastiest thing in LEX :getin:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Assimilators are strong as gently caress.

By 2300 I was far and away the strongest empire in the galaxy. Just got to wipe out a pesky FE before they wake up and then bulk up for whatever endgame crisis comes my way.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

If I created a template from my primary species, but never actually modify any pops (or alternatively, if through any means the population of that subspecies is 0), would it still be possible to draw leaders from that subspecies?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was always worried there was no "AE" effect in stellaris and "threat" wasn't enough, but it seems to be working to an extent. Early game some horrible hive mind managed to wipe out a civilization, shocking since we were all still at the 500-600 fleet phase of the game so I have no idea how they managed without any advanced start. Everyone in the area flipped the gently caress out and the top of my screen was flooded with non-aggression pact notifications and the odd defense pact. They went to war again, and won again, destroying a 2nd race. This swarm now was about 4x the power of anyone in the area, and another flood of defense pacts emerged. The next war didn't go well, ending in a white peace due to the locals working together via their defense pacts. Not longer after a bunch of empires joined together and attacked the swarm, and after a few wars this hive that seemed poised to overrun the galaxy was demolished down to a minor rump. With the threat eliminated, defense pacts began to fall apart, non-aggression pacts canceled due to opposing ethos and border friction, things returned to the status quo.

People complained a lot about the diplomacy in stellaris, saying defense pacts and treaties lasted forever, and empires never intelligently worked together to face existential threats. It's not perfect, but things seem a lot better now.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I was always worried there was no "AE" effect in stellaris and "threat" wasn't enough, but it seems to be working to an extent. Early game some horrible hive mind managed to wipe out a civilization, shocking since we were all still at the 500-600 fleet phase of the game so I have no idea how they managed without any advanced start. Everyone in the area flipped the gently caress out and the top of my screen was flooded with non-aggression pact notifications and the odd defense pact. They went to war again, and won again, destroying a 2nd race. This swarm now was about 4x the power of anyone in the area, and another flood of defense pacts emerged. The next war didn't go well, ending in a white peace due to the locals working together via their defense pacts. Not longer after a bunch of empires joined together and attacked the swarm, and after a few wars this hive that seemed poised to overrun the galaxy was demolished down to a minor rump. With the threat eliminated, defense pacts began to fall apart, non-aggression pacts canceled due to opposing ethos and border friction, things returned to the status quo.

People complained a lot about the diplomacy in stellaris, saying defense pacts and treaties lasted forever, and empires never intelligently worked together to face existential threats. It's not perfect, but things seem a lot better now.

They only work together to block the player.

As soon as you hit critical mass they Fed up or Defensive pact into a huge blob.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm past 2400+ in my first post-Synthetic Dawn game ... just running up the years hoping technology changes or something happens. My fleet strength is only 120K and if I provoke an FE I get completely demolished. The galaxy is fairly stable ... two factions fight every so often and one gains each time a little bit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xae posted:

As soon as you hit critical mass they Fed up or Defensive pact into a huge blob.

And it sucks.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

All right, Subspace Echoes! Time to see where the Prethoryn are going to sh- oh, what's that? Directly into my empire? Well, good thing I took Defender of the Galaxy for my last Ascension. :shepicide:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Xae posted:

The post you're quoting is talking about an instance of them doing it to block non-player threats.

They actually react pretty intelligently to a huge threat. Just so happens that that's usually a player, and that tends to be frustrating if you're looking to just steamroll.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'll say that fortresses are pretty buff now and are good at holding off small AI fleets, or at least delaying them while you break off a clean-up fleet to intercept the annoying small AIs who have allied up to the major players. They have a shitton of health and are really good at eating reinforcements the AI sends piecemeal, though they don't have much offensive punch. It's made my slow grind in taking down the rest of the galaxy that has federated against me and my vassals more bearable.

The downside is they're so good at surviving for super long periods that if you jump your fleet on top of an AI fleet that is trying to whittle one down, they will often emergency FTL right away. I really feel like emergency FTL shouldn't work in an FTL inhibitor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magil Zeal posted:

I'll say that fortresses are pretty buff now and are good at holding off small AI fleets, or at least delaying them while you break off a clean-up fleet to intercept the annoying small AIs who have allied up to the major players. They have a shitton of health and are really good at eating reinforcements the AI sends piecemeal, though they don't have much offensive punch. It's made my slow grind in taking down the rest of the galaxy that has federated against me and my vassals more bearable.

The downside is they're so good at surviving for super long periods that if you jump your fleet on top of an AI fleet that is trying to whittle one down, they will often emergency FTL right away. I really feel like emergency FTL shouldn't work in an FTL inhibitor.

Yeah, enemies should not be able to warp out of a system until the station is dead.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fortresses work pretty well if you're boxing in a contingency fleet. You can predict exactly where they'll go eventually and they never warp out, so you can make sure your fleet is always fighting with the buffs and debuffs of a fortress as you take out their 100k fleets every few months.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, enemies should not be able to warp out of a system until the station is dead.

This would invalidate like 99% of my tactics though :saddowns:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Playing as space robots, influence to settle planets inside my border does not make sense.

Additionally Mr wiz, feature request? As space terminators, I can turn off my buildings. I cannot, however, turn off my robot population.

Can we add a temporary deactivation button to robot pops that might cost 5 influence per pop or require 5 minerals per pop to reactivate once deactivated?

Allows robots to manage energy intelligently, and overcome the 1 powerplant powers the pop manning it in the early game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McGiggins posted:

Playing as space robots, influence to settle planets inside my border does not make sense.

Additionally Mr wiz, feature request? As space terminators, I can turn off my buildings. I cannot, however, turn off my robot population.

Can we add a temporary deactivation button to robot pops that might cost 5 influence per pop or require 5 minerals per pop to reactivate once deactivated?

Allows robots to manage energy intelligently, and overcome the 1 powerplant powers the pop manning it in the early game.

It's a super abstracted resource. Think of it as the extra processing administrative bots need to calculate how the new colony will integrate into your cybernetic hive mind.

What isn't abstracted though is that I'm researching Targetted Gene Expression which has an effect of... nothing. It's blank. Bug?

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Well, I have my first colony now. :3:

I haven't encountered any other alien empires yet, and I'm thinking of putting a Frontier Outpost a good distance from my existing borders to claim some systems where I can build Mining/Research Outposts. Does a Frontier Base usually spread borders far enough to claim more than one system? (I'm asking because I'm guessing there's not really a way to check beforehand.)

Follow-up: I found some Industrial Age primitives. Is it/can it be worth the investment of a Frontier Base to set up the Observation Outpost to (presumably, eventually) uplift and vassalize them?

Basically I do not know how to use Frontier Outposts, halp.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Does anyone use any Tomb World Start mods? I want to create a Machine empire of digger bots that survived their creators scouring themselves off the face of their own planet, by being miles underground when the meatbags threw an apocalypse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost of Starman posted:

I haven't encountered any other alien empires yet, and I'm thinking of putting a Frontier Outpost a good distance from my existing borders to claim some systems where I can build Mining/Research Outposts. Does a Frontier Base usually spread borders far enough to claim more than one system? (I'm asking because I'm guessing there's not really a way to check beforehand.)

Follow-up: I found some Industrial Age primitives. Is it/can it be worth the investment of a Frontier Base to set up the Observation Outpost to (presumably, eventually) uplift and vassalize them?

They have about the same territory as a planet, and your territory stacks a bit so you'll notice your two globs slightly glob toward each other if they're close enough. Each one costs an influence to maintain unless you have the exploration tradition that halves it, so you'll want to place it so it grabs a few good systems (a bunch of minerals, a chokepoint if you use hyperlanes, a planet you want to dibs for later etc)

e: enlightening a planet is a bit pricey with early resources, so you might want to just stare creepily until they hit atomic and before going full Day The Earth Stood Still.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 5, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Best part is, that isn't even remotely the nastiest thing in LEX :getin:

I already woke the garden because of course I'm not going to stop despite the warnings. So yeah it's far from the worst.

The_Bends
Nov 13, 2010
Quick question. Is there any work around to late game lag on multi core processors? I'm already playing on small galaxies. It makes the game unplayable beyond ~15k fleet sizes. I'm running an i7 quad core.

Shame because I love the game otherwise.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

One of these things is not like the others.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Dire Lemming posted:

One of these things is not like the others.

I fixed that in yesterdays update :3
Sanctuary could use a nerf tho, way to many precursor stuff spawns, maybe I'll do something more exotic with it rather than precursor stuff.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Does anyone use any Tomb World Start mods? I want to create a Machine empire of digger bots that survived their creators scouring themselves off the face of their own planet, by being miles underground when the meatbags threw an apocalypse.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1113793938

This is the only current one I know of.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Is it possible for Rogue Servitors to Uplift pre-sentients to add to their Bio-Trophy collection?

I ask because I have settled planets with pre-sentients in three separate games and have never gotten the Uplift tech card.

And each time, when I finally gave up and purged them to reclaim the tiles, my neighbors all decided to gang up on me and smash me to bits.

Second, related question - can someone summarize the strategy to build up competitive fleets in the early to mid game? I am tired of getting smashed to bits.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

:stare: gently caress, if I had known this mod existed, I would have used it for my first machine empire run! That vault dweller start with custom options for if you start as a machine empire... Man, that would have been so good. This is basically 100% perfect for the background story I wrote for the Singularity Union.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Golli posted:

Is it possible for Rogue Servitors to Uplift pre-sentients to add to their Bio-Trophy collection?

I ask because I have settled planets with pre-sentients in three separate games and have never gotten the Uplift tech card.

And each time, when I finally gave up and purged them to reclaim the tiles, my neighbors all decided to gang up on me and smash me to bits.

Second, related question - can someone summarize the strategy to build up competitive fleets in the early to mid game? I am tired of getting smashed to bits.
Yeah, I understand if it was a pain to code but I think Rogue Servitors need access to uplifting and planetary subversion.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
New dev blog is up, just potential 1.8.2 patchnotes but the teaser pic is really teasing!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-88-1-8-post-release-support.1048887/

Potential buildable titans spotted! (check the top two ship-like entities)

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

I'm thinking the defense platforms are placeholders for something else? Possibly spaceports beyond level 6? What if outposts now double as spaceports, which are untethered from planets and/or capacity?

Or maybe a naval capacity megastructure that also makes titans? Maybe a habitat rework?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guilliman posted:

New dev blog is up, just potential 1.8.2 patchnotes but the teaser pic is really teasing!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-88-1-8-post-release-support.1048887/

Potential buildable titans spotted! (check the top two ship-like entities)

quote:

Planets in outliner are now properly sorted by distance to capital in all circumstances

Well, finally! This will make it much easier to not accidentally build ships on the other side of the galaxy from your fleet, just because that planet you clicked on was right next to your capital on the list.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Platforms are probably system-level fortifications for choke points - they've talked about them before.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The switch from arc emmiters to lances in Contingency fleets is a nice change. Hopefully every battle now won't be a debilitating slog.

For the teaser image Wiz posted I don't think they are spaceports (since they look like the are built around stars) they probably just recycled some of the assets. Defense stations seem to make the most sense but with no other details who knows; maybe you can now upgrade outposts to solidify tour hold on remote systems and grow your influence.

The ships in the background don't look new, It's probably just a bunch overlapping in a fleet.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Will this apply to existing Contingency fleets or only new ones? I have a game that might be saveable if it's the former.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Switching to lances makes the Contingency much, much easier to hard counter, which I thought they were moving away from in 1.8 - for end game crises at least.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ghost of Starman posted:

Frontier Outposts produce a whole lot of borders, on par with a planet so definitely worth it to plop one down and grab any nice chunks of space you've got your eye on. Just keep in mind that they consume 1 full influence per month as a maintenance cost (reduced to 0.5 if you get the relevant Expansion tradition), so you don't want to leave them up forever or build too many lest they cripple your influence income.

As to whether or not to enlighten the neighbors, it's pretty expensive for early on (draws off a bunch of energy and research), and you also don't want to be creating vassals that you can't control. So yeah, I'd wait until you've expanded a bit more so that you're big and powerful enough to more easily afford the cost and keep them loyal when you do enlighten them. Definitely enlighten them ASAP if they hit the atomic age, because if you don't they have a chance of nuking themselves into oblivion. But you say they're only industrial age, so they'll have a few decades before hitting that point and you'll probably be enlightening them before that.

Something to keep in mind is the ethics of the people you're looking to enlighten. If they're xenophobic dickbags who are the kind of people that turn into genocidal Fanatic Purifiers, maybe it's best to just let them play with their steam engines instead of giving them nukes and FTL drives. If they're lovable xenophiles or match your ethics in other ways, though, they'd totally make great neighbors.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Update on my game: after running the Fanatical Purifiers war a few different ways, the best results came from Operation: Build More Ships.

It wasn't enough to win -- at least not in this time frame -- but it was enough to discourage war altogether, giving me time to research battleships. I'm expecting good things from Operation: Build Bigger Ships.

I might also vassalize one of my weaker neighbors to get their support.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Watching an Awakened Empire achieve nothing because it gets its troops stuck in an Embarkation/Landing loop is really sad.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do fanatical purifiers interact with the new template system, incidentally? Do I have to mod the whole race at once, or can I make mongrels, provided they're my mongrels?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Senethro posted:

Watching an Awakened Empire achieve nothing because it gets its troops stuck in an Embarkation/Landing loop is really sad.

Do you have a save of that? I'd really like it if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soup du Journey posted:

How do fanatical purifiers interact with the new template system, incidentally? Do I have to mod the whole race at once, or can I make mongrels, provided they're my mongrels?

They're OK with sub-variants of the same species.

• Locked thread