Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Early access game lol. I bet the whole thing crashes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
playing a game this shoddy for money is loving hilarious

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

"And you can see Jim, number 87 is parachuting in and... and..."
"OH MY GOD THE BUILDINGS"
"That's right Jim, they buildings HAVEN'T loaded in yet. Things aren't starting very strong for number 87"
"Ya got that right Bob and OH number 87 was just killed in one shot by number 33 in some random place he and our camera men can't see but boy howdy! What a game!"

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The Gamescom tournament was surprisingly passable. Besides terrible format/scoring and shoddy camerawork. And the streamers crashing their game to alt-tab to their Twitch dashboards.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

is the 80 player limit so they can have observers?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

cosmicjim posted:

Having an advantage with worse ping makes no sense to me. Now, if it's a matter of hit registering that's different. But saying you see the enemy first when you have a worse ping is breaking my brain. Can someone that actually knows explain, and not someone that is making poo poo up or just read a post on reddit about it?

I don't know if this is it, but from my understanding it has more to do with when the enemy sees you (either first or before you kill them):

> Because their connection is bad, they're able to unload a lot of bullets that end up as one, "server tick" to you
> When you get behind cover, their connection hasn't received that information yet so they can still shoot you (since you're still out in the open) on their end

The first I've only heard about so I can't say if it has happened to me or not, but the second I've had happen a lot. I will say I wonder if the latter could also sometimes just be that I truly did die in the open, but my client only told me about it after I got around the corner.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 4, 2017

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I really like this game. It gets my nerves going in ways no other game ever has. Any time I make it past the first circle I end up shaky and nervous during any firefight.

As much as I like it though, I just stink at it. I know its tough to actually win, but after 26 hours in game I really wish I could manage a single chicken dinner. Just one drat it.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Play with the discord goons and you will be carried to a chicken dinner.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

I really like this game. It gets my nerves going in ways no other game ever has. Any time I make it past the first circle I end up shaky and nervous during any firefight.

As much as I like it though, I just stink at it. I know its tough to actually win, but after 26 hours in game I really wish I could manage a single chicken dinner. Just one drat it.

Squad and duo CD's are much easier to come by, took me a lot longer to ger my first solo.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Yeah, slowly as I'm figuring out the game, it seems to get much tenser. Stealing a player's car while in the blue, firing at all the other players trying to get into the circle, and surviving the mayhem - it's hilariously gonzo gameplay. Now I just want them to add rockets and machine guns to vehicles so I can live out my interstate '76 dreams.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Oh poo poo that's like 30 minutes from me!

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Late last night I had the best squad games ever.

My squad (SamHandwich42, Seferio, OGSRemix, and I) got back to back chicken dinners with all 4 of us still alive to the end. One ended in the rolling hills south-east of Severny and the other in the field north-east of the prison near the warehouse. I got 4 kills each match, got us to a prime circle spot on a hill with one tire shot out, and earlier in the same game barrell-rolled that Dacia off a rock to a perfect landing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kodo posted:

Yeah, slowly as I'm figuring out the game, it seems to get much tenser. Stealing a player's car while in the blue, firing at all the other players trying to get into the circle, and surviving the mayhem - it's hilariously gonzo gameplay. Now I just want them to add rockets and machine guns to vehicles so I can live out my interstate '76 dreams.

Extremely rare single-use rockets would be good to me, maybe crate only and maybe it takes up a primary weapon slot.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have well over 26 hours and still don't have a solo win. I've gotten a few top 3s and one or two top 2s, but never a win.

I feel like the key to getting better is try to figure out what you did that got you killed. Once you know, ask for advice in the thread on how to improve. If you use shadow play you might be able to get goons to look at clips and tell you what you did wrong, I've never tried.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Who's signing up for the goon PUBG team.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

lohli posted:

Play with the discord goons and you will be carried to a chicken dinner.

Also if you're in North America, play on the Asian servers and feel like a god then go back to North American servers and get squashed like the pathetic bug you are. :smug:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jiro posted:

Also if you're in North America, play on the Asian servers and feel like a god then go back to North American servers and get squashed like the pathetic bug you are. :smug:

This is good advice for newbies like me to learn the game. I have a 4% top ten ratio on NA servers and a 30% top ten ratio on AS servers. Also, my KDR is 3x higher on the AS servers.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-improvements-for-fortnite-battle-royale

looks like fortnite might end up being good for pubg after all

:cheeky:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Regrettable posted:

This is good advice for newbies like me to learn the game. I have a 4% top ten ratio on NA servers and a 30% top ten ratio on AS servers. Also, my KDR is 3x higher on the AS servers.

I freaking soloed a squad game there and actually won, in the freaking fog no less, I know ping is an issue when it comes to people playing across oceans but is it really that much of a difference? Or does different areas of the planet have preferred tactics, I find that NA Servers are just more aggressive in general.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
it's just because your matchmaking rating is different for each region, so when you walk into asia you're playing against noobs again

i live in asia and we go to na for easy games. looking at my stats, in season 1, my duo buddy and i have 6% win rate and 1-2 kdr in asia, and 16% win rate with 3+ kdr in na.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Zo posted:

it's just because your matchmaking rating is different for each region, so when you walk into asia you're playing against noobs again

i live in asia and we go to na for easy games. looking at my stats, in season 1, my duo buddy and i have 6% win rate and 1-2 kdr in asia, and 16% win rate with 3+ kdr in na.

Same for overwatch.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Guys, I believe if you look deep within yourselves you will find that China number one.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Does it use your overall rating? My overall and win rating are slightly higher on AS and my kill rating is slightly higher on NA. I did notice that there seem to be way more players on AS so that might have something to do with it. I guess I could also be getting a little better at it. :shrug:

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 5, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

Guys, I believe if you look deep within yourselves you will find that China number one.

Taiwan best china!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Zo posted:

This seems more likely than ASIANS SO BAD LOL

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

[quote="“Jiro”" post="“477066431”"]
I freaking soloed a squad game there and actually won, in the freaking fog no less, I know ping is an issue when it comes to people playing across oceans but is it really that much of a difference? Or does different areas of the planet have preferred tactics, I find that NA Servers are just more aggressive in general.
[/quote]

Fog helps, really. It's a lot easier to take out one or two at a time when visibility is so limited. I always love fog rounds.

I need to see what my rankings are like on each server. I'm not really good at all, so it seems odd I would get easier matchmaking on AS.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

This seems more likely than ASIANS SO BAD LOL

Except that my rating is slightly higher on AS and I'm still doing much better? Yes, the first several matches are going to be way easier, but once your rating goes up to roughly the same number shouldn't you be seeing similarly proficient players? I think it's more likely that because there are so many more players there are more bad ones getting kills off of even worse players, which means you need to get a even higher rating to start seeing more good players. I could be wrong and I do only have about 12 hours of play time, but that makes sense to me.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

White Noise Marine posted:

Anyone get the bug where you close a door and enemy's just run through it like it doesn't exsit?

I've been the one running through doors. My teammates saw me doing it when I was lagging out really badly (I accidentally toggled my desktop over to use my cellphone's hotspot connection so was playing over LTE :v: )

Anyways if you have the bug all the doors will appear to be open but just *not quite* all the way.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
When my squad is all on we play fpp on asia because there's no fpp for squads on OC. In my experience the Asian server is much easier regardless of the matchmaking (all of us are/have been in the top 100 for asia fpp squad and oc fpp duos). Constantly find players who go prone in open fields the moment you shoot at them on the asia server were as on oc i rarely see people prone at all unless it's last few circles in a wheat field.

E: i have a 37% win percentage on asia fpp squad. On OC duos its like 12% and my oc 3pp squad is only around 10%

Copper For Lyfe fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 5, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Asia is a much worse server, enemies with high ping are killing you because of their ping a lost less than you think they are.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Bluehole guy, said, in a statement that they asked Epic for various improvements to the UE engine, and then later stated they were mad that Epic was using the improvement in their own products, specifically the upgrade to 100 person servers.

quote:

“We’re going to get some technical support [from Epic], and we’re going to work with them to make sure Unreal Engine better supports battle royale gameplay which requires 100 people in one session, and now we’re starting to have concerns that they’re going to develop new features or improve something in the engine to support that battle royale gameplay, and then use it for their own game mode,” the executive elaborated.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

That's a fair thing to be concerned about but it's supposed to be factored into contract negotiation- not bitched about helplessly afterwards. It really seems like this guy is in way over his head

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Rex-Goliath posted:

That's a fair thing to be concerned about but it's supposed to be factored into contract negotiation- not bitched about helplessly afterwards. It really seems like this guy is in way over his head

I'm not saying its the best business practice ever, but they did nothing to protect themselves. Plus, they didn't have a lot to bring to the table when contract negotiations came around (IE, there were no contract negotiations.) If PUBG has anything more than the standard license agreement, I'd be very surprised. I mean, if you said 6 months ago that this game would sell 13 million copies, you'd be laughed out of the room. And just making Tera and being sued for stealing trade secrets isn't the best track record for negotiating.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Are the servers hosed again? I keep getting dropped when the game should launch

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I really hope the tournaments are in 1pp mode because watching two idiots hide behind their trees at the end of the game was really boring to watch.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not saying its the best business practice ever, but they did nothing to protect themselves. Plus, they didn't have a lot to bring to the table when contract negotiations came around (IE, there were no contract negotiations.) If PUBG has anything more than the standard license agreement, I'd be very surprised.

I'm curious. Is this based off of any actual information, or are you just speculating?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I think it's fairly common for software improvements in a leased product to be incorporated for everyone else that also leases. If that wasn't the case then the provider would quickly find themselves managing 20 different versions of the same tool.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Those particular protections are usually out of the scope of smaller games. How often can you say your game will be directly competed against by valve when you build a game in source?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I'm curious. Is this based off of any actual information, or are you just speculating?

If they did anything to protect themselves they would not be whining about it in press releases or over twitter, but would be taking them to court or at least talking directly to epic about a breach of contract.

Both Epic and Bluehole come out of this looking bad for different reasons.

I think this was posted here earlier, but here's an Unreal Engine blogpost about the engine improvements that have come about from developing fortnite:
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-improvements-for-fortnite-battle-royale

It is definitely pretty scummy for epic to rip off the game in the way they seem to be, but on the other hand it is really really dumb for Bluehole to expect that Epic would work on making improvements to the engine specifically geared around all the challenges that really high playercounts bring and not make use of things themselves, if for no other reason than to better develop the engine for the sorts of large open map multiplayer games that have been popular for a while now, some of which are already on UE4(PUBG and ARK). Which isn't to say that I think Fornite Battle Royale was an entirely practical and largely charitable effort that only accidentally competes with PUBG too well, I don't doubt that they ripped off PUBG very deliberately because it was popular, but I don't think they intended to steal it's thunder by being so popular and beating it to consoles in quite the way they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Vetitum posted:

Here's the current NA Solo leaderboard...

Move on, nothing to see here

What does this mean?

• Locked thread