Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Tbf that's every line out of Natalie Portman's mouth

It's actually impressive just how bad she is on the prequels. Keira Knightley has like three lines and she pulls it off better than Portman does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I still like the idea that Yoda's actually a 900 year old human.

I like that in games and other media where we've seen other members of Yoda's species, none of them do the backwards talking stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think Yoda should have been super ripped in the prequels. Still tiny though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CzarChasm posted:

I like that in games and other media where we've seen other members of Yoda's species, none of them do the backwards talking stuff.

Yeah, it's not like a cultural thing or like the way their grammar works or something, he's just a loving weirdo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's actually impressive just how bad she is on the prequels. Keira Knightley has like three lines and she pulls it off better than Portman does.

I 100% blame Lucas. He was shouting "Less emotion, more wooden!" at her every take.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I can't tell if you're kidding.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

He is not, Lucas is a hack.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Powaqoatse posted:

Any other word than children would be stupid. "Youngsters" would be just as bad as younglings.

Anakin killed all the babbys who coudlnt frigth back

they need to do way instain jedi> who kill thier yuonglngs

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gejimayu posted:

My wife and I turned to each other, jaws agape at this point. It was such a perfect Dark Tower reference in the way Stephen King likes to do them in his books, with no explanation, so that if you dont read them you wouldn't even know the line meant anything. Really cool.

I bet you the new IT and gunslinger were the first steps at launching a Stephen King/Derry/Beamworld Cinematic Universe

I'm not even kidding, just you wait and see.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I bet you the new IT and gunslinger were the first steps at launching a Stephen King/Derry/Beamworld Cinematic Universe

One of these was a biiig misstep then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is actually going to be a Hulu show called Castle Rock. They already said the guy who played Pennywise is going to be on it in some capacity.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
"Killed wee tots, he did."

And George is(was) a master troll. There's so many anecdotes about him an lightsabres. You say "lightsabre" he'll cough and go, "Uh, actually the cannon term for them is 'lazer swords'". Then some talkshow host heard this and tried to get on his good side by saying lazer sword and Lucas goes, "I think you mean "Lightsabre"."

:allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're obviously beam katanas.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ariong posted:

An inside job, it was!

Excuse me, but I think you'll find that lightsabres can melt steel beams.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Alas, anything melts Younglings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually beam sabers are the result of minovsky particle latices forming a containment field for raw energy from a mobile duit's microfusion generator made into the former of a blade.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

rydiafan posted:

I 100% blame Lucas. He was shouting "Less emotion, more wooden!" at her every take.

World War Mammories posted:

I can't tell if you're kidding.

Sorry, I also can't detect if this is a joke or not, so I'm legitimately curious if that's what his direction was like?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sand Monster posted:

Sorry, I also can't detect if this is a joke or not, so I'm legitimately curious if that's what his direction was like?

quote:

"So they put the dress on me the first day and bring me to George," Fisher said on HBO's Wishful Drinking. "He takes one look at me and he says, 'you can't wear a bra underneath that dress', so I said, 'why?', and he said, 'because there's no underwear in space'. And the man said it with such conviction too."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Luminous flamberges are we.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
70s and 80s Lucas is a different guy than the modern troll Lucas. I believe he was sincere with the no bra thing because of the time the film was made in where he had people breathing down his neck. If he'd said that post 1997, when he was surrounded by yes men, I'd assume he was joking to see how much he could get away with with nobody to say no. But in 1976-77, I can see him speaking with conviction about the bra thing as a means of sticking it to the studios and doing what he wanted on set.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Sand Monster posted:

The two directing notes he's most famous for are "same thing, but better" and "faster, more intense," if I recall.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

mojo1701a posted:

The two directing notes he's most famous for are "same thing, but better" and "faster, more intense," if I recall.

He sounds like all the girlfriends that dumped me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mojo1701a posted:

If you have the special edition DVD box set, there's a whole section of the entire cast trashing him for his complete inability to do any directing apart from repeating 'Faster and more intense'.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Telling the game development team they could only choose between Darth Icky and Darth Insanius was extremely funny imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mojo1701a posted:

"same thing but better" is a hilarious burn.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RBA Starblade posted:

"same thing but better" is a hilarious burn.

But a poo poo thing for a director to say because it is effectively useless advice.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

From what I've heard, I guess I would describe him as a negative director, in the sense that he doesn't give positive comments (instructions to the cast & crew to realize his vision), but lets people do more or less whatever unless it seems to contradict his vision. Then he intervenes, often on weird and silly elements that strike him at the moment, like the underwear. The Original Trilogy was made with a team that played well with this, because George's biggest role was standing between them and the money men at the studio. He protected his team, they knew what they were trying to do, and he facilitated a really good production. I'd say, overall, that he had some very good ideas, and he really did have an integral role in what made Star Wars what it is, but you couldn't call him an auteur.

The Prequels, on the other hand, were this massive thing that brought in a way more complicated setup of early 2000s CGI and a whole new cast and Lucas' directing did not work in that environment. Everyone's lost, and when they look for direction, they just get "faster, more intense."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All of you should watch SFDebris's video series Hero's Journey and Shadow's Journey, which cover Lucas's rise in creating A New Hope, to his slow professional and personal collapse during the development of Empire and Jedi.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Precambrian posted:

From what I've heard, I guess I would describe him as a negative director, in the sense that he doesn't give positive comments (instructions to the cast & crew to realize his vision), but lets people do more or less whatever unless it seems to contradict his vision. Then he intervenes, often on weird and silly elements that strike him at the moment, like the underwear. The Original Trilogy was made with a team that played well with this, because George's biggest role was standing between them and the money men at the studio. He protected his team, they knew what they were trying to do, and he facilitated a really good production. I'd say, overall, that he had some very good ideas, and he really did have an integral role in what made Star Wars what it is, but you couldn't call him an auteur.

The Prequels, on the other hand, were this massive thing that brought in a way more complicated setup of early 2000s CGI and a whole new cast and Lucas' directing did not work in that environment. Everyone's lost, and when they look for direction, they just get "faster, more intense."

Hitchcock, I believe, did a lot of negative directing and famously told one of his leading actresses (I forget which one) that he wouldn't give her direction unless she was doing something wrong.

But yeah, he was totally the person everyone looked to on the prequels and he dropped the ball on that one.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

mojo1701a posted:

Hitchcock, I believe, did a lot of negative directing and famously told one of his leading actresses (I forget which one) that he wouldn't give her direction unless she was doing something wrong.

But yeah, he was totally the person everyone looked to on the prequels and he dropped the ball on that one.

To be fair, Hitchcock died in 1980. No need to go laying the blame on him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It would be a fantastic twist to find out that Hitch faked his death to disguise himself as a mediocre Sci-fi director.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The prequels are pretty good imo.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

mojo1701a posted:

Happier, and with your mouth open

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The first time you see snow in the new Blade Runner, it doesn't quite register. Then you realize, holy poo poo, it's snowing in California!

Just a nice, visual way to show how hosed up the world is.

But not all is lost, because one of the as ballerinas flashes "Made in the USSR" in English and Russian, so not all hope is lost

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought it was really neat that the scenes in the new Bladerunner that are dust-blasted reddish hellscapes are based on the 2009 Australian dust storm.

Australia:

Blade Runner:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It would be a fantastic twist to find out that Hitch faked his death to disguise himself as a mediocre Sci-fi director orchestrate the Violent Unknown Event.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Well he wouldn't be the first comedian to fake his own death for political reasons

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Memento posted:

I thought it was really neat that the scenes in the new Bladerunner that are dust-blasted reddish hellscapes are based on the 2009 Australian dust storm.

Now youve done it, some executive is going to say they're part of the same universe.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

Now youve done it, some executive is going to say they're part of the same universe.
Ryan Gosling and Tom Hardy in the obvious crossover would likely take in the pennies as a "must see at the cinema" movie. You called it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Marmaduke! posted:

Just gotta add some throwaway line in Blade Runner about how "Nobody's heard from Australia since they lost telecommunications twenty years ago" and boom, shared post-apocalyptic world.