Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Command Ant posted:

Reg's sign says "I ruffled Nanachi without permission."

As for Rico's sign, remember how she 'examined' Reg back at the orphanage?

Well, she tried it again.

Sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/tukushiA/status/914963675277967360

New chapter in October (probably the 20th) and Season 2 depends on sales.
The Bluray boxsets are currently ranked 3rd and 5th place on Amazon Japan, so that looks good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did she break it off this time, is the real question.

Lurking Haro posted:

New chapter in October (probably the 20th) and Season 2 depends on sales.

If I could buy this digitally in NA I probably would.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress yessssssssssssss, new chapter sometime this month. Somewhere I had read that he had taken a break until 2018, and I'm glad that's not the case.

https://twitter.com/potipoti93/status/914459847671914496

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress yessssssssssssss, new chapter sometime this month. Somewhere I had read that he had taken a break until 2018, and I'm glad that's not the case.

https://twitter.com/potipoti93/status/914459847671914496

Do you think his hand doubles as a mouse?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There Bias Two posted:

Do you think his hand doubles as a mouse?

Knowing how tragic this series gets, it'll end up being a trackball.

Ugh, I might want the blu-rays. I've never bought a blu-ray set before and this sure as hell deserves it. Do they sell them in the US, or do I have to go over to Japan to get it?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Ugh, I might want the blu-rays. I've never bought a blu-ray set before and this sure as hell deserves it. Do they sell them in the US, or do I have to go over to Japan to get it?

Currently it's import only and the first box is being released on the 25th, followed by the second box on December 22nd.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

you can import them via sites like amiami and cdjapan. unsure if there are better ways but I've used those for my handful of imports (yamato, account​, eccentric family)

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://twitter.com/ri_dy/status/914835135534698496

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

Having not read the manga, I don't know any extra detail, but my impression isn't that he's psychotic and evil, simply obsessed with reaching the bottom and understanding the Abyss at any cost. He already found out what he needed to know from their experiment. He even keeps Nanachi on as a research assistant after he's finished. And he could probably go and get them at any time, so may as well let them go and do what they want because they might do something interesting.

I feel like the whole point is to highlight that he's totally rational, but also an emotionless monster. Sort of setting up this whole dichotomy of 'can you explore and understand the Abyss by science and reason alone' or is it an 'unknowable, mystical force that you can only reach the bottom of with desire and heart' kind of deal. Is it magic or is it science?

Yeah, the good thing about bonedrewd, is that he's way more deep than that. And his motivations are not what you think.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I guess I'll tune in to find out in X years. I waited like a decade for HxH to get a continuation (in fact just a total re-adaptation which was even more baller probably), so I'm an expert in waiting forever.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jeza posted:

I guess I'll tune in to find out in X years. I waited like a decade for HxH to get a continuation (in fact just a total re-adaptation which was even more baller probably), so I'm an expert in waiting forever.

Rejoice, unlike Dragon Quest, Splatoon has maintenance.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it just the same dragon quest game over and over or are we talking the entire series or something?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Is it just the same dragon quest game over and over or are we talking the entire series or something?

:iiam:
DQXI came out in July and DQX is an MMO, so Togashi always has something to fallback to.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Looook

https://twitter.com/AnimePlanet/status/915315942329954304

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What a cute and whimsical adventure! I'll put it right next to my Studio Ghibli sets.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

El Burbo posted:

m (◉人*) m

I want this to end the same way as Planetarian :(

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Pavlov posted:

The arm cutting scene is one thing. That one kind of worked. Introducing a mad scientist to torture tiny orphan girls into immortal, perpetually suffering monstrosities just loses any sense of seriousness. It's like the author decided they would spare no contrivance to be as over-the-top gruesome as he could be to the most saccharine children he could create. The fact that they also seem to have a hardon for those children just makes it seem all the creepier.

Agreed. The hardon stuff especially, the ridiculous corny grusomeness is fairly entertaining I think actually. Call me a traditionalist, but the only anime I want to see where a kid gets a boner is Evangelion. 5/10 to made in Abyss, though I will probably watch the second season.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Maera Sior posted:

I didn't realize that Bondrewd's VA also did Griffith from the 1997 version of Berserk. The clasped hands whistle reminded me of a behelit, but I didn't expect the connection to be quite that literal.

And Kira from JoJo as well.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

What a cute and whimsical adventure! I'll put it right next to my Studio Ghibli sets.

tfw you're listening to a podcast about made in abyss where the hosts are at episode 5 but describing it as "ghibli-esque" and recommending that people watch it with their toddlers.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Lurking Haro posted:

The occasional naked girl is all I've ever seen, none worse than what's already in MiA.

This reads like the poster is a normal person but then I realized by "girl" it seems he might mean a literal child, as that is already in MiA?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

tfw you're listening to a podcast about made in abyss where the hosts are at episode 5 but describing it as "ghibli-esque"

this part at least bears out. the background artist for MiA, Osamu Masuyama, is ex-Ghibli

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I definitely altered my own viewing of the last episode by cracking a "this hole was made for me!" joke, but it was worth it. But then ending with my suspension of disbelief breaking: that there could be an entire elevator that goes all the way down to the 5th level yet they don't have some tubes or tunnels or some sort of better system to send mail up and down, c'mon.

Good show, great atmosphere, and enough has been said about the weird undertones, 8/10, would watch 2nd season.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AnacondaHL posted:

I definitely altered my own viewing of the last episode by cracking a "this hole was made for me!" joke, but it was worth it. But then ending with my suspension of disbelief breaking: that there could be an entire elevator that goes all the way down to the 5th level yet they don't have some tubes or tunnels or some sort of better system to send mail up and down, c'mon.

Good show, great atmosphere, and enough has been said about the weird undertones, 8/10, would watch 2nd season.

They have their Great Gondola thing, and apparently Bondrewd has access to another one, but the average joe likely does not have easy access to such lifts. Also any tube/tunnel based system would need maintenance, and I bet maintaining those elevators is difficult with the whole "bleed out of every orifice and maybe die horribly".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Plus none of the White whistles appear to be the type to make elevators that can safely transport people up and down abyss layers without getting Cutenberg'd.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They have their Great Gondola thing, and apparently Bondrewd has access to another one, but the average joe likely does not have easy access to such lifts. Also any tube/tunnel based system would need maintenance, and I bet maintaining those elevators is difficult with the whole "bleed out of every orifice and maybe die horribly".

They also needed a few beefy Praying Hands to accompany the capsule to keep it safe. Seems to be a bit much effort for mail when you can send a few copies per balloon or hand it to someone else on the way.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I love this series so much.

I watched the whole anime last weekend and then read the manga immediately, and it's just so good. Now I'm craving anything MiB related and can't wait for chapter 43. :psyboom:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

The only person with the manpower to build that kind of system is all-around cool dude Mr. Bondrewd. Besides, he's also the only person who is happy to just camp that level doing wholesome experiments to pass the time. (And he doesn't give a poo poo about anything else)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hmm, it feels like a lot of you missed the point, so let me spell it out. I'm not asking for elevators, and not even asking to use the existing elevator shown.

Their basic mail system involves tying your message to a balloon that you let go and pray gets to the surface and found. This is equivalent to dropping your package off the top floor of a building and just hoping it gets to the intended recipient down below.

In this world it would seem immediately obvious that this would not work well and could be improved upon, so the mail chute would be invented. Just a simple tube or tunnel to guide the balloon mail with known drop off and pickup points, checks and failsafes. But nope, guess we don't care about communication and are happy with our balloon float system, while simultaneously having a bigfuck elevator all the way to the bottom for smuggling whatnot.

And perhaps you might say I've got the wrong metaphor, and this style of mail should actually be compared to a message in a bottle thrown out to sea. The currents are known, there are hazards and animals, ok lets go with that, only the bottle isn't glass or plastic, it's made out of leaves, and oh by the way someone built a bridge that spans the entire world over all this water, and no one thought maybe just maybe we can use some simplified version of this idea to get messages from one place to the other.

The concept expands even further beyond something as "complex" as a tube. Where are the bells or whistle systems? Like, anything. If the show wants to end showing a package floating off while the credits roll, sure go ahead, but based on what has been shown of this world I don't buy it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the balloon scene was lovely and poignant, why does it need to be cinemasins'd

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I could really only see these systems working down to maybe the 2nd layer. After which, they'd be extremely impractical to maintain. I mean, that tube is probably going to get smashed by whatever horrifying creature gets bored ever hour or so. And sure, you could keep people on guard duty, but I'm sure as hell not going to be the guy standing around in an extremely risky area so that you can send postcards from the 2nd layer. This is to say nothing about the difficulty in building such things in the first place.

The elevator is a bit of a special case and clearly requires a herculean effort to keep running. It's also run by, well, you saw the types of people that run it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AnacondaHL posted:

Hmm, it feels like a lot of you missed the point, so let me spell it out. I'm not asking for elevators, and not even asking to use the existing elevator shown.

Their basic mail system involves tying your message to a balloon that you let go and pray gets to the surface and found. This is equivalent to dropping your package off the top floor of a building and just hoping it gets to the intended recipient down below.

In this world it would seem immediately obvious that this would not work well and could be improved upon, so the mail chute would be invented. Just a simple tube or tunnel to guide the balloon mail with known drop off and pickup points, checks and failsafes. But nope, guess we don't care about communication and are happy with our balloon float system, while simultaneously having a bigfuck elevator all the way to the bottom for smuggling whatnot.

And perhaps you might say I've got the wrong metaphor, and this style of mail should actually be compared to a message in a bottle thrown out to sea. The currents are known, there are hazards and animals, ok lets go with that, only the bottle isn't glass or plastic, it's made out of leaves, and oh by the way someone built a bridge that spans the entire world over all this water, and no one thought maybe just maybe we can use some simplified version of this idea to get messages from one place to the other.

The concept expands even further beyond something as "complex" as a tube. Where are the bells or whistle systems? Like, anything. If the show wants to end showing a package floating off while the credits roll, sure go ahead, but based on what has been shown of this world I don't buy it.

I'd assumed that the elevators are not enclosed and need to be defended the whole way down. Plus I'd think that even if you could bore a tube down and connect it with the abyss at various points that the entrances would become prime hunting spots for the abyss creatures since tasty cave raiders would keep showing up to send letters back up to the surface.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

There is an animal called the mail-chute eater that eats mail-chutes (and disembowels mailmen before melting their bones).

I hope that calms your :spergin:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Make a pneumatic tube that's 8 kilometers long with slightly-better-than-rennaissance technology. Go on, I'll wait.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

tfw you're listening to a podcast about made in abyss where the hosts are at episode 5 but describing it as "ghibli-esque" and recommending that people watch it with their toddlers.

what's the name of the podcast?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Make a pneumatic tube that's 8 kilometers long with slightly-better-than-rennaissance technology. Go on, I'll wait.
Literally magical artifacts dude.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yeah, so you can easily say "all right, there's no magical artifact that's an 8 kilometer long pneumatic tube". Easy justification.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh for god's sake people.

Here's some Maruruk fanart.

https://twitter.com/dai_gazacy/status/915256241244356608

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU