Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love getting tattled on.

Which is to say, if you send me a request, and I say no, the next email includes my director on it.

Cool email bro, now I'm really not doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Which is to say, if you send me a request, and I say no, the next email includes my director on it.

The best is when your boss says yes to it, you then forward the original email with you saying no and your boss emails back changing their mind and that the answer is now a no.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's not truly serious until they copy in your parents.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thunderbird_Wine posted:

I work for a Mid-Sized MSP. Today at an ops meeting we were discussing scripting via LabTech - which is going to be assigned to our newest help desk agent, who has 0 experience in the software platform or IT support in general.

The last time we gave the LabTech keys to a new hire he wrote what we dubbed the Armageddon script which was supposed to clear inactive agents from the system, but in reality made LabTech eat itself and delete half of the agents in the system. This is gonna be fun.

If a script makes LabTech disable itself then it's a good script.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

If a script makes LabTech disable itself then it's a good script.

I use LabTech and can confirm this is true.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Steakandchips posted:

Knew it.

Sorry man.

This is a different project. The one from yesterday that went great continues to have gone great. Don't lose faith comrade.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can relate to those people. Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?
That's because you were drunk!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There are some users whose behavior is only adequately explained if you assume that they are always drunk all of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNSIymy_Goc

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Virigoth posted:

This is a different project. The one from yesterday that went great continues to have gone great. Don't lose faith comrade.

Woohoo! Nice one mate!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

anthonypants posted:

That's because you were drunk!
And how!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The Fool posted:

There are some users whose behavior is only adequately explained if you assume that they are always drunk all of the time.

This seems like an ideal way to live life.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This seems like an ideal way to live life.

says a member of one of the top industries for liver failure

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mine hasn't died yet!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

[quote="“ChubbyThePhat”" post="“477054817”"]
I use LabTech and can confirm this is true.
[/quote]

Give the new guy a template for all of his scripts. At the top put the commands to disable it and change the font color to match the background. See how long it takes him to figure it out.

do you have any faulty SATA cables lying around?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5OaBWdLRY

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

$vendor is making me do an SSO test at a specific time tomorrow because their logs "only show the last 30 events"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The bath in malt liquor sounds like a pretty good plan

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RFC2324 posted:

says a member of one of the top industries for liver failure

Livers are replaceable!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Been a good day for poo poo pissing me off. We just got an alert we have new PCI/HIPAA security training. I go to load that bitch up and I just learned how to take credit card info while working a register in retail. Guess I've got a fallback plan now guys and this will totally teach me how to keep our corporate data safer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Virigoth posted:

Been a good day for poo poo pissing me off. We just got an alert we have new PCI/HIPAA security training. I go to load that bitch up and I just learned how to take credit card info while working a register in retail. Guess I've got a fallback plan now guys and this will totally teach me how to keep our corporate data safer.

I know a guy at Sunglass Hut if you're looking to get a foot in the door...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

devmd01 posted:

Dear operations team, how about you loving Learn To Powershell more than just running single commands in O365, I'm not your powershell bitch just because I've managed to learn new skills in my career.

Never ever write scripts for other people who are in role where they should be able to write their own. You will always be that guy. Career vampires sense this weakness and will use you. Best never start so they can't get leadership buy in.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Never ever write scripts for other people who are in role where they should be able to write their own. You will always be that guy. Career vampires sense this weakness and will use you. Best never start so they can't get leadership buy in.

Thank you for saying this.

But I help write scripts for my friends who work at other places. Is that bad?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

Thank you for saying this.

But I help write scripts for my friends who work at other places. Is that bad?

Not if they're paying you for it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
They are not
:negative:

unless free dinners count

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
One hand washes the other.

Some times payment isn't a good idea at all. It's far better to have a bunch of favors you can call in when shtf and you need some help (manual labor/knowledge/parts/whatever) stat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
As with every where you're doing work pro bono, the important part is knowing where the line between "doing favors" and "being taken advantage of" is

People in here tend to vehemently assume the latter, but that's usually because of a combination of "they've been taken advantage of before and don't want other people to suffer it as well" and "IT people seem to be overwhelmingly susceptible towards being taken advantage of in return for a kind word and a handful of peanuts" also a long and storied chain of goons in wells claiming that actually they're not being taken advantage of and they happen to like getting shat on by their bosses and peers, thank you very much

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Crowley posted:

One hand washes the other.

Some times payment isn't a good idea at all. It's far better to have a bunch of favors you can call in when shtf and you need some help (manual labor/knowledge/parts/whatever) stat.

This x 10000000. I do a lot of stuff for friends/family. It's (almost) always paid off. 100% know who you can trust to return the favor, then invest-invest-invest!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Feedback on soft-launched new website: "Please bring back the old website."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dross posted:

Feedback on soft-launched new website: "Please bring back the old website."
This is me anytime a website changes. Your old website was fine, that's why I was using it. Recent example: AV Club.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Our old website looked like a news site circa the pre-Google era. It was a mess. It's fixed width and everything.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Your old website was fine, that's why I was using it.

Windows 98 was fine, that's why I was using it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
When a website relaunch means ahlf the features are gone because the new bargain-basement company you used would have charged you more to re-implement them, don't relaunch.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is me anytime a website changes. Your old website was fine, that's why I was using it. Recent example: AV Club.

God yes. The new AV club is almost unusable.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dross posted:

Windows 98 was fine, that's why I was using it.
Ima give you this trophy for "post that wasn't as clever as you think it was", do with it what you will

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ima give you this trophy for "post that wasn't as clever as you think it was", do with it what you will

I mean if you resist literally any change to your muscle-memory workflow on principle even if it's a needed objective improvement, you're kind of the worst.

edit: and "You changed it now I don't like it" isn't useful feedback without elaboration.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 5, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dross posted:

I mean if you resist literally any change to your muscle-memory workflow on principle even if it's a needed objective improvement, you're kind of the worst just like our users.

edit: and "You changed it now I don't like it" isn't useful feedback without elaboration.

ftfy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

UI updates are cool and good, but a lot of designers have a bad habit of getting tunnel vision, sticking to their design language even if it makes no sense and burying useful stuff in hard to reach spots.

Which is just the way the world works, but it really infuriates me when they ask for input. People complain about stuff and the designers get this sad YOU JUST MURDERED MY BABY!! look and try to come up with excuses why it can't be done.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
While things getting an overhauled UI can be necessary, it's not something you should do lightly especially if you have a large userbase, because there are hidden but very real massive productivity costs as a result. While people ITT will complain about things moving around, it's easy to forget that a huge portion of users treat workflows like magical incantations and will require retraining no matter how much "more sense" it makes to have things shuffled around in X configuration instead of Y configuration.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Our new website isn't really even a much different layout than the previous one, it's just designed to (semi)modern standards and is readable on mobile devices like any website should be now. We had a sidebar with 30+ links in it and it's now collapsible categories (which to a user might read something like xzzy said). I recognize that having to relearn how to use a site is annoying but it's not like we iterate several times a year.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

UI updates are cool and good, but a lot of designers have a bad habit of getting tunnel vision, sticking to their design language even if it makes no sense and burying useful stuff in hard to reach spots.

Which is just the way the world works, but it really infuriates me when they ask for input. People complain about stuff and the designers get this sad YOU JUST MURDERED MY BABY!! look and try to come up with excuses why it can't be done.

This was longer than I thought: TL;DR: CEO asked for feedback on a new website a few years ago, said it was a new employee, turns out it was his wife. The site is horrible doesn't work, and doesn't really get any traffic. She manually creates and lays out the page for hundreds of products a year on this thing. None of the feedback was acted on.

Full:
We had a redesign of our site around the time I started. I was asked to give "honest feedback" because he wants the site to be awesome and draw in customers. He just hired a new person to do the website. Nothing was consistent and I mentioned this. It was also a train wreck and everything clashed and was overly busy. A big one was

Some images opened a new page when clicked, others enlarged, and others still did nothing, some even enlarged when you rolled over them! These were all product pages so being consistent would be nice and also looks like the person had no business designing a website since these all should be identical and looks like it was made by hand instead of anything sane.

Well turns out the person that made it who I was the CEOs wife and he said "he'd mention it, but overall it looks good right?".

Site is still basically trash. She still maintains the site with no scripts running, and she's had to remake it since in Wix with it basically being the same. She had a wordpress theme she had to have before that hadn't been updated in years and didn't work with the newest version so the site got "hacked" several times when I was asked to secure it and went to update word press I "wasn't allowed to update that".

Best part was it was "fine" and she just re-uploaded it every day to ensure it was clean :downs: The terminated our site for pirated files and refused to elaborate, this is after they paid for the 7 year plan. As far as I know they got details when the CEO decided them not refunding the money was theft and the lawyer told them they were hosed and to drop the case. (likely got owned, and was hosting torrents which was spelled out as a zero tolerance no refund in their TOS).

She makes hundreds of individual pages that kind of look the same but aren't fully for every new product each year and is constantly behind and reprioritizing over what people are asking for.

She still seems to hate me, and I'm guessing it was for the 3 pages of "problems with the website" I gave to the CEO when I was asked for serious honest feedback because he wanted the site to be good and he fired the last person that worked on it and got someone new. People always ask me to do stuff to the website and I have to keep reminding them CEO's wife refuses to give me the password and I really don't want to do anything to the website just email her at her gmail because she refuses to use a company email and the CEO doesn't want to pay for it if it's just going to forward to her.

Thankfully our customers are mostly mom and pop stores who don't really have a website and buy from sales reps who use the site. We had a hit counter on the site at one point and it was removed when I was asked if I could remove "employee hits" and I reset it at that time and it only got to 30 after 4 months. I don't even know why anyone bothers with this thing.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddamn kleptomaniacs driving me nuts, as the newbie I have the noble task of sifting through a pile of old PCs to figure which ones are useful, which ones can be sold, and which ones can be scrapped (Yes I already said why the gently caress don't we just get a scrappage/recylcer firm to take em away and give us dosh).

That paired with cleaning up their poo poo hole of a build/storage room, so I rock up with a trolley of gutted machines and bags of cables and put the machines into the electronic waste and then;
:butt: "Hang on a minute don't throw those away"
:raise: "You mean these miscellaneous Ethernet cables?"
:butt: "No all of that is server stuff make sure we keep it"
:raise: "Okey dokey..."

It literally was bags of ethernet cable when they already have massive boxes of them already, the legitimate "Server stuff" I already dug out categorized and stored but whatever, it particularly cheesed me off because I'm just wasting my time if they aren't going to throw anything away and not tidy it up themselves... nevermind being boring donkey work.

A new head of IT is starting next Monday too, despite everyone grumbling I'm interested to see how things pan out.