Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MonsterEnvy posted:

War Magic is why I felt they worked well with the Knight. It's constantly been one of the more useful abilities for EK's I have seen in play.

Though it's always best to remember that the EK is a fighter first caster second. While things like the Bladesinger and Valor Bard are Casters first, fighters second.

Valor Bard is a fighter first, caster also first, because 5e is Well Balanced(tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Valor Bard is a fighter first, caster also first, because 5e is Well Balanced(tm).

My Party is going to be a Valor Bard, Paladin, Arcane Tricker and Monk and Ranger (probably gonna make them pick the revised one). Who is most hosed here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

My Party is going to be a Valor Bard, Paladin, Arcane Tricker and Monk and Ranger (probably gonna make them pick the revised one). Who is most hosed here.

Honestly it's a pretty solid line up if it's the revised one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kingcom posted:

Valor Bard and Paladin are gonna be the standouts but really everyone should be able to put in a decent showing, even if I'm not a rogue fan in general.

The most fun all-around monk is the Shadow Monk because they can still do everything that makes monks good (go fast, stun people) but they also get a lot of tricks they can use both in and out of combat, like shadow-teleporting, making darkness and so on.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bewilderment posted:

The most fun all-around monk is the Shadow Monk because they can still do everything that makes monks good (go fast, stun people) but they also get a lot of tricks they can use both in and out of combat, like shadow-teleporting, making darkness and so on.
Shadow monks are great assets for most team, it's a good reliable mage silencer and they got that pass without trace spell that makes team stealth a breeze. Also Darkness is great. But people generally prefer open palm because of the chi draining powers that become kinda obsolete after you gain stunning strike (so 2 level later). Not enough love for the shadow monks.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Toplowtech posted:

Shadow monks are great assets for most team, it's a good reliable mage silencer and they got that pass without trace spell that makes team stealth a breeze. Also Darkness is great. But people generally prefer open palm because of the chi draining powers that become kinda obsolete after you gain stunning strike (so 2 level later). Not enough love for the shadow monks.

Open Palm doesn't Chi Drain, unless that's a nickname of something I missed.
At level 3 they can throw people around (to the floor or far away), or deny enemy reactions.
At level 6 they get self-healing.
At level 11 they get Sanctuary.
At level 17 they get the Quivering Palm to go Fist of the North Star on people, but that's so late in the game it's practically flavour.

They're pretty combat-focused all around.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

kingcom posted:

I mentioned it elsewhere, but to say it here in thread so others can comment, the main thing is that your Arcane Trickster and Monk are probably going to have a lot of overlap, especially if they go Shadow.

Shadow monks aren't bad but they are specific - they're Magic Ninjas, and that's about it. If you want to be a Magic Punch Ninja, go for a shadow monk. If you want to be something that isn't a Magic Punch Ninja, do not make a shadow monk. They also suffer from the same thing ALL monks do, which is that no combat option will ever beat Stunning Strike, which means spending your ki points on anything else becomes more and more irritating because, what a surprise, your Be Effective points are also your Be Cool points, and you "get" to choose which.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

kingcom posted:

The DM's combats are probably most hosed. Bard + Monk is a lot of disable after the party hits level 5 (hypnotic pattern + stunning strike), and the whole party has fairly respectable damage to melt anything that doesn't get shut down in the first round of combat.

There's a lot of overlap in the "dexterous utility guy" niche in the group. Someone might want to consider trading off some utility for more combat focus. Rogue could swap archetypes to something like Assassin, or better yet, the Ranger could swap over to Battlemaster because of how well they work together with Monks (stun = auto fail on the str/dex saves most maneuvers force) and Rogues (Commander's Strike = double the sneak attacks).

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My DM was trying to come up with magic weapons and asked my opinion on the following.

Disarming Rapier; whenever you attack someone with it they drop whatever they're holding unless they pass a DC 12 Str Save.

Even if the DC is pretty low, the fact that it's every attack with no limit or sacrifice seems... off. The problem from my point of view is that I can't see anything obvious solution to fix it. Left as is it's a pain in the rear end because the enemy'll get a poor role eventually, and pumping the DC in order to make it 3/day or whatever seems like a bad niche bargain. Making someone immune if they succeed or an hour is pointless on a weapon like that, IMO.

Any suggestions, or is it fine and I'm being a killjoy?

Also, he allows PVP, and gently caress that weapon in those situations. I don't trust my fellow players to not be asshats.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Joke solution is to make it a figurative disarming rapier. People who see you with it have to make a will save to believe you'd hurt anyone with it. "But he's just so dashing!"

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

sleepy.eyes posted:

My DM was trying to come up with magic weapons and asked my opinion on the following.

Disarming Rapier; whenever you attack someone with it they drop whatever they're holding unless they pass a DC 12 Str Save.

Even if the DC is pretty low, the fact that it's every attack with no limit or sacrifice seems... off. The problem from my point of view is that I can't see anything obvious solution to fix it. Left as is it's a pain in the rear end because the enemy'll get a poor role eventually, and pumping the DC in order to make it 3/day or whatever seems like a bad niche bargain. Making someone immune if they succeed or an hour is pointless on a weapon like that, IMO.

Any suggestions, or is it fine and I'm being a killjoy?

Also, he allows PVP, and gently caress that weapon in those situations. I don't trust my fellow players to not be asshats.

Have the disarm require using a bonus action means it can't be (annoyingly) spammed. It's something of a band-aid and locks out any other bonus action things you might have, but it should work. It fits in with your "yes there is a sacrifice required" at any rate, as well as limiting its potential to be spammed in one turn over and over for each attack.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 5, 2017

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Sacrifice was a strong word, just something that isn't able to work all day and seriously screw with humanoid enemies.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Joke solution is to make it a figurative disarming rapier. People who see you with it have to make a will save to believe you'd hurt anyone with it. "But he's just so dashing!"

No joke, my DM loves it, and now that's what it is. Our rogue is pretty much Zorro anyhow.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I'd say make it DC 15 and once per combat on first successful attack. You can't choose where you use it beyond not attacking with it. It comes into play every time so it feels useful but not ludicrous by having it every turn.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ProfessorCirno posted:

The real worry is your bladelock, who is going to be overshadowed by the mystic and barbarian at essentially everything. And will also be overshadowed by your EK at essentially everything.

Bladelocks are real, real bad, is what I'm saying.

If you don't build them right.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Conspiratiorist posted:

If you don't build them right.

Man, best case scenario on your bladelock is just "it works." That's best case.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

It sounds like you died before your turn in the surprise round, which wouldn't leave enough time for somebody to get over to you and cast a spell until the first actual round of combat?

I don't even remember at this point, but I don't mind, I'm having a lot of fun with Gorn, son of Dorn, wearer of Jorn(s)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

Man, best case scenario on your bladelock is just "it works." That's best case.

Eehh...

Their powerspike is two levels delayed (Lifedrinker), but they get comparable (read: slightly better) damaged output to an optimized Fighter on top of having Warlock casting and invocations.

Yeah, "it works." What more do you expect? Most classes either work or they don't, the bar set by comparing them to each other. If you want something amazing you play a high level wizard.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
THere's been a bit of a shakeup in my normal DnD group, so for the next few weeks I've got a different adventure adventure planned out. Something a bit more surreal and goofy, something we can all take less seriously than our main campaign. One of the elements is this near god-like being who runs a para-dimensional Chuck-e-Cheez where the players can win rewards from "silver tokens" dropped in the world and by boss fights. There's two ways for them to spend the tokens: a vending machine which has definite prices for each item in it, and a crane game with a fixed price but the reward they get is randomized. What I wanted to do was in addition to the usual loot reward, I wanted to add some rewards outside of the norm. I was thinking of adding certain feats, stat increases, or even have there be an option for a level up.

I'm not so much worried about balance, I can manage that fine. I'm wondering if having stuff like that is a good idea, or if, as players, you would all consider those options to be mandatoy. I'm thinking, if my players start feeling they HAVE to get the state increases, or the level up, or something then it ruins the fun idea I had of them being able to save up their rewards for something a little extra down the line.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Be prepared for an attempt at a hostile takeover. I did similar thing with a mysterious vendor with a wagon of magic items and from DAY 1 the plan was "How do we kill this guy and take his wagon?"

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Pretty excited, I'm rolling up a Barbarian tonight! Playing with dudes who haven't played in 30 years. I haven't played since early 3rd edition. None of us have played with all this fancy new tele-roll-playing stuff. It's fun comparing to what is here now to the stuff we're more used to back in the ADnD days.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I feel like a traveling circus is a great campaign setting because you can fit every single class into it perfectly, I've been arguing this with my group for several days now

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am so tired of circuses, especially creepy circuses. If I never see another circus-themed anything for the rest of my life it will be too soon.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I am so tired of circuses, especially creepy circuses. If I never see another circus-themed anything for the rest of my life it will be too soon.

Excuse me, but Killer Klowns from Outer Space is an excellent film and worth including in any halloween reel.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
I'm giving one of my homebrew subclasses for the Artificer the ability to create scroll-like objects: 50*spell level gp cost and 1 minute to create if it's on the Artificer spell list, or 250*SL gp and 10 minutes if it's not. I'm thinking I also need some kind of level restriction on this, to keep it in check a little?

What would work best:
  1. Cannot create scrolls of a spell level higher than 1/2 your level? Gives eventual access to 9th level spells, roughly the same rate as an actual caster could.
  2. Cannot create scrolls of a spell level more than 2x the highest spell level you can cast? Links to existing spellcasting ability, limits to 8th level spells, but huge jumps in scaling
  3. Cannot create scrolls of a spell level higher than your proficiency bonus? Limits to 6th level spells, fairly gradual scaling if a little wonky to start with, but ability is granted at 3 so not out of step.

And is this a good idea?

Edit: I'm later on giving them a daily pool of free gp to use with this ability, like the 3e Artificer's crafting pool. Probably thinking of something like 50gp*Artificer level, and giving at level 9 since that's the next available ability placement. Considering including it as base though, as having to pay to use a class feature feels bad.

Ambi fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 6, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Was wondering if someone in this thread can help me.

My friends and I are interested in setting up a game of D&D. As I'm the only person with any knowledge of D&D, having a very good knowledge of the infinity engine video games (2e) and Neverwinter Nights (3e/3.5e), the job of DM has fallen on to me as I'm probably going to be the only person who has any idea what's going on.

I looked at the OP but it seems to be aimed at people that are more familiar with P&P and existing versions rather than someone starting from the absolute beginning on tabletop. A step-by-step would be helpful if anyone's got any recommendations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you absolutely must play 5th Edition D&D specifically, I would recommend getting the Starter Set, as it contains a basic set of rules, a set of pregenerated characters, dice, and an adventure to run.

I wrote this thing a long time ago as a sort of simplified introduction to the game, though I don't know if even that is simple enough for a complete newcomer to grasp. Ask away.

You can also trying reading through this: The Caves of Shadow. It's more than a decade old at this point, and it's for 3rd Edition (so compatible with Neverwinter Nights), but it's written for a complete know-nothing, so that might be a good place to start to get a grasp of how to play pen-and-paper D&D.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So I'm joining a new 5e campaign in order to hang out with a guy but I know next to nothing about 5e beyond whatever experience with 3.5/Pathfinder gets me. I'll be playing a sorcerer. What are the best spells to grab early to make sure I'll be useful and effective in a variety of situations?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've got a question for some of you DM's (and players) out there. I have a hard time articulating ideas and full sentences most of the time when speaking. This is just kind of a general problem and not exactly just a role-playing thing. If I've prepared something to read out beforehand I can speak completely fine, but as soon as I need to think on the fly I can have problems finding the right words. This isn't a huge issue outside of RPGs for me, but it can really break the mood and atmosphere when I need to pause every other sentence to figure out what to say. As the DM in our current campaign there's only so much I can actually be prepared for.

Has anyone with a similar issue worked around it somehow? I realise this is a pretty hard issue to just solve, but maybe it's something I can work on. It's kind of odd to think about practising how to speak well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've got a question for some of you DM's (and players) out there. I have a hard time articulating ideas and full sentences most of the time when speaking. This is just kind of a general problem and not exactly just a role-playing thing. If I've prepared something to read out beforehand I can speak completely fine, but as soon as I need to think on the fly I can have problems finding the right words. This isn't a huge issue outside of RPGs for me, but it can really break the mood and atmosphere when I need to pause every other sentence to figure out what to say. As the DM in our current campaign there's only so much I can actually be prepared for.

Has anyone with a similar issue worked around it somehow? I realise this is a pretty hard issue to just solve, but maybe it's something I can work on. It's kind of odd to think about practising how to speak well.
If you're talking about descriptions of places people enter, I write down a couple of adjectives "musty", "clammy", or objects "low-hanging moss", "rotted fabric", "stairs weathered uneven by traffic" I want to highlight in each section and just ad-lib the rest.

ZeroCount posted:

So I'm joining a new 5e campaign in order to hang out with a guy but I know next to nothing about 5e beyond whatever experience with 3.5/Pathfinder gets me. I'll be playing a sorcerer. What are the best spells to grab early to make sure I'll be useful and effective in a variety of situations?
It's hard to go wrong with the classics: Fire Bolt, Chill Touch, Sleep, Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Invisibility, Hold Person, Web, Fireball

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you want something structured, an improv class? Or Toastmasters I guess.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you absolutely must play 5th Edition D&D specifically, I would recommend getting the Starter Set, as it contains a basic set of rules, a set of pregenerated characters, dice, and an adventure to run.

I wrote this thing a long time ago as a sort of simplified introduction to the game, though I don't know if even that is simple enough for a complete newcomer to grasp. Ask away.

You can also trying reading through this: The Caves of Shadow. It's more than a decade old at this point, and it's for 3rd Edition (so compatible with Neverwinter Nights), but it's written for a complete know-nothing, so that might be a good place to start to get a grasp of how to play pen-and-paper D&D.

Thanks - I'll look it all up over the weekend.

Figured the latest D&D might be the best to start off with.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You just need practice. I had the same issue and the solution for me was to start running fake games alone in my car on the way home. I'd start with a simple scenario, imagine player responses, and then describe results focusing on the five senses. Describe a few monster actions and their death scenes as well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've got a question for some of you DM's (and players) out there. I have a hard time articulating ideas and full sentences most of the time when speaking. This is just kind of a general problem and not exactly just a role-playing thing.
Is it the tip-of-your tongue thing but dialled up to eleven? If so, hello me. Get more sleep and don't be afraid to say "I can't think of the word" and just move on. If you're like me then thinking too hard about it will make it worse but if you nice on you'll remember the word three sentences later. Also, how's your stress levels in general?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I got Tomb of Annihilation a while ago, but I've been taking my time reading itb since it'll probably be several more weeks still before I can run it. I've finally read enough though that I can comment on it.

I really like it in piece meal, and almost every aspect of it is excellent, but as an overall adventure, I can't help but suspect it's going to play out very awkwardly. There's an excellent sand box setting, with tons of interesting locations and amazing things to do throughout, but then there's this overall plot over everything of world-shaking importance that imposes a very ambitious ticking clock on the players. The setting even includes a half dozen or so very cool red herring locations with very interesting, but basic descriptions that the DM could flesh out into amazing adventure sites, but that realistically won't get any love because omg the soulmonger is growing and people are dying and we gotta get to it. What are you even doing wasting time on a dinosaur race when you have 3 months to find and destroy this thing or a huge fraction of the world's most important people will die.

I guess I'm going to try and figure out if i can run the adventure while downplaying the overall plot, because everything else in here is pretty amazing.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 7, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I actually like ToA for how tightly focused it is. "Destroy the Soulmonger" is the whole matter and the adventure never strays from that goal. The book even goes out of the way to suggest that if you start at level 5 or 9 and not 1 like it suggests, that you should beeline them to right where the Soulmonger actually is with little sightseeing in between.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Splicer posted:

Is it the tip-of-your tongue thing but dialled up to eleven? If so, hello me. Get more sleep and don't be afraid to say "I can't think of the word" and just move on. If you're like me then thinking too hard about it will make it worse but if you nice on you'll remember the word three sentences later. Also, how's your stress levels in general?

Yeah that's how it feels most of the time. I don't really have anything going on in my life that's stressful at the moment, and my gaming group are all close friends so I don't feel awkward around them at all. Though I do get anxious sometimes if something get's brought up that I wasn't expecting at all. We're running Storm King's Thunder right now so I get hung up on trying to make sure I'm not giving an answer that actually contradicts something else in the book. I've read through it all by now but I only really prepare a few sessions ahead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the players won't actually know the time limit.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah that's how it feels most of the time. I don't really have anything going on in my life that's stressful at the moment, and my gaming group are all close friends so I don't feel awkward around them at all. Though I do get anxious sometimes if something get's brought up that I wasn't expecting at all. We're running Storm King's Thunder right now so I get hung up on trying to make sure I'm not giving an answer that actually contradicts something else in the book. I've read through it all by now but I only really prepare a few sessions ahead.

The thing that helps me when I feel like I'm losing the thread a bit is to realize that the players don't know what's in the book, so nothing you say can be wrong. Also, nothing you say or that the players say can be "wrong" per se, because you as the DM get to create the world.

Think of the book less like a bible and more like a guideline

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The time limit isn't a super big deal, it's just that you have 79 days before Syndra is dead. So the time limit is basically to get the rare magic item which won't matter anyway since the campaign will be over by then.

I just DMed my first session earlier this week, and the players understood the time limit but don't feel super pressured by it. They seem like they're interested in doing the capture he pirate side quest first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ZeroCount posted:

Fire Bolt as your main attack cantrip. Highly effective on Draconic Sorcerers.
Chill Touch as a backup attack/niche use against undead and regenerators, but Light, Friends, Mage Hand and Minor Illusion all offer excellent utility.

Spells:
Sleep (excellent early but loses combat effectiveness later; either swap or keep it around for the no-save utility and finishing blow potential)
Burning Hands (basic AoE damage source)
Magic Missile (guaranteed damage)
Hold Person
Invisibility
Phantasmal Force (INT-save disable that deals damage, and you can Twin it)
Scorching Ray (when you need to bring down the pain on a single target)
Fireball (AoE damage staple)
Fly
Haste (Twinned Haste!)
Hypnotic Pattern (best AoE disable)

Remember each level up you get essentially two spells from the highest level you can cast: one from +1 spells known, and another from switching an older spell to a new one.

On topic, Quicken and Twinned are the best metamagics.