Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Your opinion does not change that it's a measurable effect, as is people's bias towards finding a responsible party after an accident, rather than blamelessly identifying a root cause and insisting on a systemic solution.

Speaking of which:

quote:

A serious error can mean my job the first time it happens.

I have to do it all myself and there's no one to double check my work.

You should be proud of the work you do, but a system which depends on a single person cross-checking all results is one that will fail at rates that I don't consider remotely acceptable in a medical context. Humans - even you - will eventually fail. They are subject to fatigue, to distraction, to hurry, to pain and hunger and a million other things that degrade their function.

You having a sense of responsibility is good, but your employer holding you responsible for an inevitable failure is exploitation. Don't let your impressive ability under pressure trick you into accepting guilt for inevitable accidents, much less assigning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Your opinion does not change that it's a measurable effect, as is people's bias towards finding a responsible party after an accident, rather than blamelessly identifying a root cause and insisting on a systemic solution.

Speaking of which:

You should be proud of the work you do, but a system which depends on a single person cross-checking all results is one that will fail at rates that I don't consider remotely acceptable in a medical context. Humans - even you - will eventually fail. They are subject to fatigue, to distraction, to hurry, to pain and hunger and a million other things that degrade their function.

You having a sense of responsibility is good, but your employer holding you responsible for an inevitable failure is exploitation. Don't let your impressive ability under pressure trick you into accepting guilt for inevitable accidents, much less assigning it.

Of course my job's method of handling things is dumb - it's the byproduct of computer systems that are outright forbidden to speak to each other, that are never allowed the be offline no matter what, and an industry culture of perfection.

It's the way things have run since long before computers were around.

The whole thing runs as if there's some executive-types that think the Cylons are real, and any one computer speaking to another computer is unacceptable outside very very narrow contexts.

---

My point isn't that my job is right (my job sucks) but rather that we have very low error rates and we work on a far more granular level than what this entire story is about.

The proffered solution of making the user type in "yes I want this huge doasge" doesn't solve the problem. If this is a normal part of their day they'll just get into the habit of re-typing their exact order AND you've gained the problem of the doctors and pharmacists now pissed about having to constantly type up explanations.

Any extra barrier you throw up is just going to end up being one the doctors and pharmacists (who are apparently too overworked to think clearly) end up tuning out and just going on autopilot to go through the motions of doing their work.

The safety for this stuff is supposed to be the pharmacist, but as we've already discussed, retail pharmacists at this point are basically just clerks that hit "yes." Completely and totally overeducated clerks for sure, but clerks none the less.

---

The only solution I see is either you implement the hard stop

OR

You have a "weak" AI to take over administering prescriptions that fall within certain normal ranges - and don't have conflicts - so that the pharmacist is only notified when there's a major conflict and/or overdose situation so you can have that human expertise actually do what it's been trained to do.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i used to work at epic. i would not want epic to make any decisions a doctor couldn't override. from my experience, it's a statistical anomaly that epics choices haven't killed more patients than they have. when their transgender care upgrades start to roll out i fully expect a bunch of transgender people to die or be killed after being outed to inappropriate care providers.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

i used to work at epic. i would not want epic to make any decisions a doctor couldn't override. from my experience, it's a statistical anomaly that epics choices haven't killed more patients than they have. when their transgender care upgrades start to roll out i fully expect a bunch of transgender people to die or be killed after being outed to inappropriate care providers.

Lol same here.

Remember when they got really mad because someone leaked the powerpoint slide that showed the average age of an epic employee was something absurd like 22? And that most employees don't stay longer than a year or two?

It's basically a gigantic mill where they take fresh UW grads, chew them up as long as they can stand it, then spit them back out to make room for the next group. Great unicorn thread material, actually. I'd make a post, but my experience is several years out of date.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

TheBalor posted:

Lol same here.

Remember when they got really mad because someone leaked the powerpoint slide that showed the average age of an epic employee was something absurd like 22? And that most employees don't stay longer than a year or two?

It's basically a gigantic mill where they take fresh UW grads, chew them up as long as they can stand it, then spit them back out to make room for the next group. Great unicorn thread material, actually. I'd make a post, but my experience is several years out of date.

I would love to read it even if it is several years out of date.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Crashrat posted:

I would love to read it even if it is several years out of date.
Me too. We switched to EPIC ASAP from MedHost a little over a year ago, and man, those first three weeks were the only time I seriously considered finding a new job. It's my understanding a lot of the broken-ness was because of the extent of the customization, but it was was still an awful experience. Now ... well, many charts I can complete as fast or faster than with MedHost, but I find them to be less readable. The inpatient notes are loving horrendous, though, with scads of extraneous information resulting in a ridiculously poor signal-to-noise ratio. I think the worst bit is that the structure of a top-notch system-wide charting system is there, but the presentation of information is ghastly.

Crashrat posted:

If shear ego can lead to mistakes - and it always will - then that ego has to be checked.
Luckily my ego is under compression.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

cis autodrag posted:

It's terrible right now regardless. The system doesn't recognize any trans patients so you get escalating warnings (with two !!s) if you try to order medications that may cause birth defects without a documented pregnancy test.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Perhaps when doctors order an overdose, they should be required to type the precise percentage it will be an overdose by, e.g.

"You have ordered a 1500mg dose of Floobium for a patient weighing 100lbs. This is an overdose of 17,000%. Please type "17,000%" to verify that you are aware of this.

If the number is different each time, the doctor won't be able to just go click, click, click on autopilot. But they will not be inconvenienced with ordering a 150% overdose for a unique circumstance.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Crashrat posted:

Yeah his argument is that if the pharmacist had to manually count the pills then it wouldn't have happened...which means they've never seen a pharmacy in action.

The order would have been filled by a tech who saw it, found it, counted it, and passed it to the pharmacist. The pharmacist would have just reviewed the label for the drug, made sure the pill looked like the right one, and dropped it in their out bin.

That pharmacist wouldn't have looked at that script for more than 10 seconds - especially in a busy hospital pharmacy like UCSF.

The only time a pharmacist ever manually recounts is if it's a schedule 2.

----

I'm sorry but I don't agree whatsoever with this "warning fatigue" crap.

In my job I have to cross-check systems that are not even remotely integrated. The companies actively *refuse* to integrate them. Everything is cross-checked by a human.

If someone's name is misspelled by even one letter. If someone's date of birth is typed in wrong as 11/10/2017, which the system treats as November 10th, but the person who did the input is European so they wrote it as 10/11/2017 - I had better goddamned well catch it and fix it.

And I make nowhere near what even a resident doctor is paid all for a job with nowhere near the same level of social prestige, and the *entire* industry works this way. A serious error can mean my job the first time it happens.

So I don't even get the luxury of a warning. I don't get the luxury of a computer that's integrated and able to do a good chunk of my thinking for me. I have to do it all myself and there's no one to double check my work.

This warning fatigue poo poo is for the birds.

The new rage in pharmacy is "tech check tech". poo poo is being piloted in multiple states and being proposed for both inpatient and outpatient settings. Instead of a pharmacist giving a final verification on dispensed medications one technician would just check the work of another technician to "free up pharmacist time for patient care activities". There's no possible way that a health care system would instead just choose to employ fewer pharmacists now that a technician making slightly over minimum wage can preform final verification on medications.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/915921473382096897

I don't really understand this.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
how can this work with 51 votes? Are they using next year's reconciliation for it?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

how can this work with 51 votes? Are they using next year's reconciliation for it?

Yep.

That said, just because it's technically possible doesn't mean it's particularly likely to fly. I need to see more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Johnson isn't a leadership ally (he hates McConnell for leaving him for dead in 2016) and if he's introducing it as an amendment instead of getting it put into the budget directly that means leadership is not on board anbd its probably not happening

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/916014403673260032

Lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lote posted:

It's terrible right now regardless. The system doesn't recognize any trans patients so you get escalating warnings (with two !!s) if you try to order medications that may cause birth defects without a documented pregnancy test.

I'm well aware. The solution they're going with (entirely at the fiat of Janet Campbell because she took gender studies on college for a humanities credit, seriously) is to mark every patient as "Transgender male/female to male" or "transgender female/male to female" and display that information to every single user of the system. And she doesn't think it's important to account for intersex people on this paradigm at all.

The fact that leadership was listening to her and not their hundreds of trans employees with lived experience navigating the medical system is a big part of what drove me to quit.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
That's...actually important medical information though?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cis autodrag posted:

I'm well aware. The solution they're going with (entirely at the fiat of Janet Campbell because she took gender studies on college for a humanities credit, seriously) is to mark every patient as "Transgender male/female to male" or "transgender female/male to female" and display that information to every single user of the system. And she doesn't think it's important to account for intersex people on this paradigm at all.

The fact that leadership was listening to her and not their hundreds of trans employees with lived experience navigating the medical system is a big part of what drove me to quit.

What the gently caress is it with EMR companies and cult leader senior management? Cerner's ex-CEO (who is now dead) was an objectivist lunatic and faulkner still thinks the world should work like Wisconsin's compsci department.

I got massively turned off to the epic way of doing things when I was interviewing for a job there years ago and they made me do a proctored IQ test where some bored guy looked at me through my webcam.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/aslavitt/status/916069859066286081

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Well, this is depressing.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

What the gently caress is it with EMR companies and cult leader senior management? Cerner's ex-CEO (who is now dead) was an objectivist lunatic and faulkner still thinks the world should work like Wisconsin's compsci department.

I got massively turned off to the epic way of doing things when I was interviewing for a job there years ago and they made me do a proctored IQ test where some bored guy looked at me through my webcam.

Remote proctoring is a pretty big thing now in online education. Pretty much any online school is going to require it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by

Peven Stan posted:

faulkner still thinks the world should work like Wisconsin's compsci department.

Because I'm not quite sure how this translates over to a business setting.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Phlegmatist posted:

In some contexts. The registrars, technicians, cleaning staff, and so forth absolutely do not need to know this beyond how the patient self-identifies.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

In some contexts. The registrars, technicians, cleaning staff, and so forth absolutely do not need to know this beyond how the patient self-identifies.

Isn't it just in your EMR though? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Even the admin staff (aside from charge capture) couldn't pull your EMR at my hospital, much less the janitorial staff. We restricted access to EMRs as much as we could to prevent HIPAA violations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Phlegmatist posted:

Even the admin staff (aside from charge capture) couldn't pull your EMR at my hospital, much less the janitorial staff. We restricted access to EMRs as much as we could to prevent HIPAA violations.
It depends. In our build, there are several views, one of which is a rough map of the emergency department and another is a list. The janitors do have access to this, so they can see what rooms they need to clean. In an early build, the patient's name, age, complaint, and sex were visible on their screens and it is feasible that MTF/FTM could be displayed there if someone included those as choices. We incidentally just have "Male" and "Female," but for patients who are transgender it remains inconsistent whether the value refers to self-identification or birth sex, which also leads to confusion when there is someone in a room who appears female but is listed as male. Plus, actually changing this to the patient's self-identified gender **also** often causes issues, due both to software and also to ... less-than-progressive people who still believe that this is not something that can change. In any case, yes, there are ways that this kind of information sort of leaks out into other aspects of the software even if someone does not have access to a patient's full EMR.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crashrat posted:

Remote proctoring is a pretty big thing now in online education. Pretty much any online school is going to require it.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by

Learn to read, it was for a job application and not getting a degree online

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

Learn to read, it was for a job application and not getting a degree online

I'm capable of reading. I knew it was for a job application.

I was saying that doing proctoring remotely is common - it's cheaper and easier on everyone.

No need to be a dick about it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone get renewals yet?

My employer plan premium is going up 25% in December

:suicide:

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Anyone get renewals yet?

Just the same letter I'm sent every year that the plan isn't being offered again and that I'll need to sign up for a new plan.

Inevitably that means they offer damned near the exact same plan, but with higher costs, come November.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Crashrat posted:

The safety for this stuff is supposed to be the pharmacist, but as we've already discussed, retail pharmacists at this point are basically just clerks that hit "yes."

A system which continuously prompt someone to confirm something that they in almost all cases do, is training them to confirm everything.

Safety is a property and responsibility of an entire system, not of any specific component.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

EugeneJ posted:

Anyone get renewals yet?

This is going to happen across the board due to Congress and Trump increasing uncertainty and loving with the PPACA.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

cis autodrag posted:

It's a dumb problem because you could just build in an option that allows for people designated as "females" in the system to not be able to get pregnant. Or "males" in the system to be able to be pregnant, and therefore actually need that negative pregnancy test. You run into the same problem with people that have had hysterectomies.

That's really the only thing that needs to be done. You can put in their trans status in as an ICD10 code.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
In today's edition of "Of course we should concentrate health care control in the Executive",

[quote="Trump Administration Set to Roll Back Birth Control Mandate
]
More than 55 million women have access to birth control without co-payments because of the contraceptive coverage mandate, according to a study commissioned by the Obama administration. Under the new regulations, hundreds of thousands of women could lose birth control benefits they now receive at no cost under the Affordable Care Act.

One new rule offers an exemption to any employer or insurer that objects to covering contraceptive services “based on its sincerely held religious beliefs.”

Another regulation offers a new exemption to employers that have “moral convictions” against covering contraceptives.

The exemption will be available to for-profit companies, whether they are owned by one family or thousands of shareholders.

The Trump administration said the new rules would take effect immediately because “it would be impracticable and contrary to the public interest to engage in full notice and comment rule-making.” Still, it said, it will accept comments from the public.
[/quote]

They've vastly understated the number of women potentially impacted. Additionally, this exemption will also be available for colleges who provide insurance for their students. The neoliberal belief will be that this will all sort itself out in the end and employers who take advantage of the exemption will be undesirable and burdened with higher costs. Because switching between jobs is very easy and the employers are acting out of rational self-interest rather than a desire to punish the whores.

https://twitter.com/laurenduca/status/916314189265858561

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Paracaidas posted:

Because switching between jobs is very easy and the employers are acting out of rational self-interest rather than a desire to punish the whores.
This won't be a problem as this timeline morphs into Hulu's The Handmaiden's Tale.

Women will be chattel and won't be allowed to work anyway.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It's Handmaid's, and Margaret Atwood's, but yes.

e: note to self, double-check before correcting anyone on anything

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 6, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Phlegmatist posted:

only in certain situations. You don't need joe nurse tech who's giving you a flu shot to see your trans status. In many places in the country that puts you in immediate danger.

Transgender people have to become very skilled at navigating the medical system and they should, when at all possible, be deferred to about whom to disclose to. My proposed solution, to only use the trans info to drive alerts when a doctor orders something contraindicated by transition treatments, was shot down by a room full of cis people as "overly paranoid".

The Phlegmatist posted:

In epic's ecosystem everything in the hospital/clinic is done through the EMR. Front desk staff see your records, phone support sees your records, schedulers see your records, etc. There's abilities to filter down who can see what (for obvious security reasons), but Janet was extremely insistent that it was paranoid to think that we should not out transgender people to front desk staff and so on. Someone in an Alabama hospital is literally going to get killed by the changes Epic is making.

edit: it sounds like you also work in medicine so if you want to discuss more feel free to PM me. we're probably getting too far away from the main topic at this point.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 6, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
That seems like a massive HIPAA violation just waiting to happen. It's surprising that a software development company wouldn't even know about separation of concerns. We used GE's Centricity and the EMRs were decoupled from what was technically termed patient financial data (because generally that's what intake and patient business services were limited to accessing.) We limited what people had access to in order to prevent HIPAA violations and also to limit any mistakes that could be made by giving people access to data they really weren't qualified to interpret.

So for example dietary services got access to the pt's room, name, age, gender (which would be whatever you put on the intake form, it wasn't linked the the EMR; if EMTs brought you in to the ER and you were non-responsive then you'd probably be assigned whatever your biological sex was but it was just a string field in our patient database and didn't break anything if someone changed it later) and whatever restricted diet the patient was on per physician orders. That's all they got because that's all they needed to know to do their job, because unsurprisingly people who are essentially cafeteria workers making $10/hr are not qualified to be making medical decisions on their own.

So yeah, I guess it is a major concern if Epic considers patient data and a patient's EMR to essentially be the same thing. Which is dumb.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

That seems like a massive HIPAA violation just waiting to happen. It's surprising that a software development company wouldn't even know about separation of concerns. We used GE's Centricity and the EMRs were decoupled from what was technically termed patient financial data (because generally that's what intake and patient business services were limited to accessing.) We limited what people had access to in order to prevent HIPAA violations and also to limit any mistakes that could be made by giving people access to data they really weren't qualified to interpret.

So for example dietary services got access to the pt's room, name, age, gender (which would be whatever you put on the intake form, it wasn't linked the the EMR; if EMTs brought you in to the ER and you were non-responsive then you'd probably be assigned whatever your biological sex was but it was just a string field in our patient database and didn't break anything if someone changed it later) and whatever restricted diet the patient was on per physician orders. That's all they got because that's all they needed to know to do their job, because unsurprisingly people who are essentially cafeteria workers making $10/hr are not qualified to be making medical decisions on their own.

So yeah, I guess it is a major concern if Epic considers patient data and a patient's EMR to essentially be the same thing. Which is dumb.

The only way I can see any logical reason for this is that Epic is just trying to *force* some kind of progression in the medical field by making the patient's chosen sex visible.

Sort of "they're here, they're trans, get used to it"

I admit to having scant knowledge of transgender day-to-day life issues. That being said isn't the goal of being trans to be seen as the sex you've chosen?

I'm not trying to wade into a fight here by any means, but as just "a regular person" that doesn't have any real connection to the politics of the issue I guess I can see Epic's point of view. If someone is trying to get the world to see them as a gender other than what they appear to be then making that clear on their medical record's public facing information would be part of that.

For an average person walking past them being either male or female - visually speaking - doesn't really seem like protected health information.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a big difference between a person saying "I'm transitioned" and that person being outed by default because of an executive's decision. The later completely removes the transperson's agency in deciding who to share the information with and how. To make things worse, the information is shared with everyone with access to the EMR, including people who have no part to play in the actual medical treatment of the patient. This is an unacceptable invasion of privacy regardless of Janet Campbell's motivations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Phlegmatist posted:

Epic ... is dumb.

That's the long and the short of it. I suspect a ton of it has to do with how much customization goes on at each site, leading to coding inconsistencies and errors. But a lot of it has to do more with the fact that Epic effectively is billing software first, and a medical communication tool second, which is precisely how hospital administration wants it to be.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

There's a big difference between a person saying "I'm transitioned" and that person being outed by default because of an executive's decision. The later completely removes the transperson's agency in deciding who to share the information with and how. To make things worse, the information is shared with everyone with access to the EMR, including people who have no part to play in the actual medical treatment of the patient. This is an unacceptable invasion of privacy regardless of Janet Campbell's motivations.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's the long and the short of it. I suspect a ton of it has to do with how much customization goes on at each site, leading to coding inconsistencies and errors. But a lot of it has to do more with the fact that Epic effectively is billing software first, and a medical communication tool second, which is precisely how hospital administration wants it to be.

Everyone keeps bringing up customization in this.

First - if the hospital has all of this say over customization then how does Janet Campbell's edict have any power at all? If their clients say "this information should not be shown except for [specific user access levels]" that's not difficult to code - it's arguably a trivial thing to do for a company as packed full of programmers as Epic is supposed to be. It's definitely not hard for Epic to do, and it's an easy request a hospital can make.

Therefore

Is this just an issue where hospital administrators purchasing the software just don't care about this issue?

or

Is Epic making it seem like limiting information to certain user access levels is a really expensive thing to do and so hospitals don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My guess as to what's going on is that the hospital didn't put it in the requirements and/or doesn't want to pay for it and Epic has no intent to go out of their way to implement it any better than what the requirements are since that costs money. Sometimes when the requirements are not clear, like if the requirement is simply "must be HIPAA compliant" and the HMO relies on the developer to guarantee compliance (?!), then Epic gets to interpret what that means and an executive decision can be "this is HIPAA compliant as it is, we don't need to make it any more complex than this."

The problem is that I write requirements and accept the software and I would not in a million years assume or rely on the developer for legal compliance but I'm not in the US and I don't work in healthcare.

Really the precise reason is not that important, what it usually boils down to is :capitalism: