Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Looks like it is time to get real mad over other people's discretionary spending decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Why did they need a week to get the footage from stroll's car?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You have control over how you are able to use it and it's not dictated to me on the whims of the company I pay a subscription to. To me that's worth overcoming the negatives, sorry this concept is breaking your brain.

None of this is actually meaningful in practice, though. What special poo poo are you doing with your music freedom?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You use Linux, don't you?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Es tut mir sehr leid

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's more of an issue with things like Netflix and Prime Video than it is with Spotify, but buying a boxset of a TV series means you can watch it without having to worry that it's going to disappear off the platform when you're halfway through. I imagine music licenses change around in the same way.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

None of this is actually meaningful in practice, though. What special poo poo are you doing with your music freedom?

Listening to cassettes in my car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I think it's more of an issue with things like Netflix and Prime Video than it is with Spotify, but buying a boxset of a TV series means you can watch it without having to worry that it's going to disappear off the platform when you're halfway through. I imagine music licenses change around in the same way.

Not really. Most of it is stable with the exception of shitheels like Taylor Swift.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

This is kind of the issue for me. I'd like to have something tangible in return for the money I'm providing, this way to Thants point, when they pull Scrubs off Netflix (or any other show I love) I'm not left with my dick in my hand and out X amount of cash. I also see no need for the access to "literally all music ever" with Spotify. YMMV.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

wicka posted:

Not really. Most of it is stable with the exception of shitheels like Taylor Swift.

If I cannot own her then I aint paying for her

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a nice idea, but then I regret having to lug around 6 boxes full of CDs every time I move.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/915873148670640129

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I also see no need for the access to "literally all music ever" with Spotify.

It's nice for when random folks on internet forums ask you to check out jazz playlists.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

This is kind of the issue for me. I'd like to have something tangible in return for the money I'm providing, this way to Thants point, when they pull Scrubs off Netflix (or any other show I love) I'm not left with my dick in my hand and out X amount of cash. I also see no need for the access to "literally all music ever" with Spotify. YMMV.

I think part of the "this content is being assembled on cost grounds rather than curated based on artistic merit" aspect bugs me a bit as well. But again YMMV is the key term here.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

This guy seems a douche. I will not be rooting for him as I did not like his profile even though he is winning

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Spotify et al are really bad for artists who aren't the big ones because the revenue distribution is skewed hugely in their favour. If all you listen to is chart music then go ahead, but if you want to support specific artists you are better off buying music directly from them rather than streaming it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

He's right, he is a cheat and his car is also a cheat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Spotify et al are really bad for artists who aren't the big ones because the revenue distribution is skewed hugely in their favour. If all you listen to is chart music then go ahead, but if you want to support specific artists you are better off buying music directly from them rather than streaming it.

Smaller musicians weren't making their money from album sales anyway.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If all you want is chart music then just use Youtube/Vevo

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

It's nice for when random folks on internet forums ask you to check out jazz playlists.

True, solid oversight on my part. :downs:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

Smaller musicians weren't making their money from album sales anyway.

Touring/merch are the bigger earners for sure, but if you want to pay for music cutting out as many middlemen as possible is the way to go to get the biggest percentage to the artists themselves.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Touring/merch are the bigger earners for sure, but if you want to pay for music cutting out as many middlemen as possible is the way to go to get the biggest percentage to the artists themselves.

Yeah I just buy albums or shirts at shows, assuming the merch table line isn't an hour long (LOOKIN AT YOU, BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gret posted:

It's a nice idea, but then I regret having to lug around 6 boxes full of CDs every time I move.

Just buy your music on minidisc then. smaller discs, smaller boxes. Problem solved.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
better for me is more important than better for muso or better for MAHRIGHTS

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
it fucks me up to see the progress of stroll in just 1 year of f1.

stroll wdc 2018

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Whew finally had time to catch up on F1 poo poo. Ferrari is pants on head retarded.
No idea how to feel about the ESPN stuff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GramCracker posted:

That’s a weird way to spell Fernando Alonso :thunk:

Alonso hasn't been on a podium since 2014.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You shut your whore mouth. Come back after like a week outa the thread and gotta see this garbage

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

1500quidporsche posted:

Hi this is Spotify, we've wiped out the competition so pay me $30 a month now or you lose access to all your music now. Thanks.

You don't have to agree with me but I'm pretty firm on "I want to actually own my poo poo." so the terms of me using it doesn't change six months down the line.

As an expert YOSPOS superstar you can take my word for it: if anything it's gonna get cheaper

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Alonso will never see a podium again.

In any discipline.

The engine will blow at 75% of race distance in any discipline he ever tries.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Apple Music is literally the only music streaming service worth subscribing to. I mean, Jesus Christ, why would you want to use some lovely service like Spotify that is run by a bunch of unenlightened profit-seekers with literally zero influence on today's cultural zeitgeist? Apple made The Beatles relevant to an entire generation who would otherwise never have heard them. The Beatles, man. Literally "bigger than Jesus." Then you go back over the last two decades and see just how significant that impact on modern culture is that Apple have created. The iPod, the iPhone, the Mac, all these devices that can seamlessly integrate your music library and curate music for you to introduce you to things that may interest you and help you broaden your horizons a little. You know, try something new, push you out of your little comfort zone a little.

God help you if you use a GP2 streaming service like Spotify.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Apple Music is literally the only music streaming service worth subscribing to. I mean, Jesus Christ, why would you want to use some lovely service like Spotify that is run by a bunch of unenlightened profit-seekers with literally zero influence on today's cultural zeitgeist? Apple made The Beatles relevant to an entire generation who would otherwise never have heard them. The Beatles, man. Literally "bigger than Jesus." Then you go back over the last two decades and see just how significant that impact on modern culture is that Apple have created. The iPod, the iPhone, the Mac, all these devices that can seamlessly integrate your music library and curate music for you to introduce you to things that may interest you and help you broaden your horizons a little. You know, try something new, push you out of your little comfort zone a little.

God help you if you use a GP2 streaming service like Spotify.

mbison_yes.m4v

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alonso bashing and people still talking about Apple. Smh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Crapple.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I respect Apple's build quality, and see them as geniuses who have used their powers for ill, much like Vladimir Putin.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Spotify classical music radio station is a big pile of arse until you have spent many months doing the thumbs down on all those modern movie and tv score tracks. This is why I don't pay for streaming services; blues, jazz, and classical will always suffer because there is more money in promoting modern in-copyright material.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I respect Apple's build quality, and see them as geniuses who have used their powers for ill, much like Vladimir Putin.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

mrfart posted:

Why did they need a week to get the footage from stroll's car?

I would imagine the stewards had it immediately, it's just only been released to the press now. Not everything gets given to the public/press

As to why the FIA let their golden boy off the hook, well you tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Alonso bashing and people still talking about Apple. Smh

See, Alonso's stock is like AAPL right now. Still some upside potential over the next year, but you don't want to be overweighting it in your portfolio. Stroll, on the other hand, is like AAPL stock in the early 2000s. Load up on that poo poo because that kid is going places.

• Locked thread