Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

VikingofRock posted:

cjs: Today someone at NASA complimented my 1337 debugging skillz :cool:

This was after I submitted the bug report for the race condition I was asking about upthread. So thanks again thread for helping with that!

whats upthread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

help, the forums ate my post

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ThePeavstenator posted:

whats upthread?

Not much, what's up with you?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

whats upthread?

done with my python interlude, so back to r

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

it's kinda fitting that the terrible programmer thread has an off by one error in its post count

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
good programmers, how did you become able to program without googling solutions to problems but instead coming up with the solution yourself? how important are book-learning and "real" programming experience respectively?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fututor Magnus posted:

good programmers, how did you become able to program without googling solutions to problems but instead coming up with the solution yourself? how important are book-learning and "real" programming experience respectively?
wrong thread

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
download the docs, turn off your wifi, and try to solve the problem?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Fututor Magnus posted:

good programmers, how did you become able to program without googling solutions to problems but instead coming up with the solution yourself?

how did you learn to write posts? you probably started as a kid, just struggling to read things already written, then you wrote school papers with little original thought or content in them, and eventually you built up a library of mental patterns that allowed you to compose shitposts of your very own. it probably took you at least 10 years though. it's kind of like that

Fututor Magnus posted:

how important are book-learning and "real" programming experience respectively?

somewhat, very

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fututor Magnus posted:

programmers, how did you become able to program without googling solutions to problems but instead coming up with the solution yourself? how important are book-learning and "real" programming experience respectively?
the stuff that nobody can google is the harder part anyway

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fututor Magnus posted:

you will never stop Googling things and asking teammates for advice. if you do, you're probably doing something bad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
shitposting into an ide is a pretty decent summary of what i do all day

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
if i can't google and ctrl-space doesn't immediately reveal what i need to do, i'm lost and hopeless.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

yesssssssss

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
try pen & paper. its very relaxing to scribble on some paper and it will also help you brainstorm while having some vague record of your thought process.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you stop googling in a problem area once you've googled enough to know what the results are gonna be and then you're the one who starts giving answers for others to google.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sapozhnik posted:

shitposting into an ide is a pretty decent summary of what i do all day

Same, but sometimes I shitpost into a design doc instead.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

you stop googling in a problem area once you've googled enough to know what the results are gonna be and then you're the one who starts giving answers for others to google.

its always good to google from time to time anyways to see if things have changed

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Fututor Magnus posted:

good programmers, how did you become able to program without googling solutions to problems but instead coming up with the solution yourself?

15 years of daily practice and counting. and possibly learning to program before google and stack overflow. and (very underrated) liking programming

Fututor Magnus posted:

having had both I'd say they're both very important. you won't learn "tricks" from theoretical books but you'll learn to look critically at your code, something that with only practical experience you tend to only do when it breaks

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Fututor Magnus posted:

no idea, i google the poo poo out of things. also, most practical soutions have come from iteration in a team

quote:

depends on the code you're writing

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i poo poo out code until it barely works and then fix it to not suck if someone complains about it sucking

expert in terrible programming here, ama

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fututor Magnus posted:

It's the bad programmers that try to come up with the solution from scratch every time. Re-inventing the wheel without doing any research is not an efficient way to program and it's very rare that you're doing something so novel that nobody else has solved the problem you're tackling, and they've may well have done it in a better way that you would eventually come up with.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

what is like the complete opposite of idempotent? that is this api i am working on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the opposite of idempotent is realistic

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Code reviews are where a ton of learning (ideally) happens

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

the opposite of idempotent is realistic

alternatively *with coarsening russian accent* iridempotent

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LinYutang posted:

Code reviews are where a ton of bike shedding happens

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh hell yes I got the Jag GPU to draw sprites wonder how many I can put on screen at once

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Five: two players, two missiles, and the ball

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

HoboMan posted:

what is like the complete opposite of idempotent? that is this api i am working on

My opengl code is all idempotent. I can never get anything to appear on the screen except the clear colour. Can make as many calls as I like.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Chalks posted:

It's the bad programmers that try to come up with the solution from scratch every time. Re-inventing the wheel without doing any research is not an efficient way to program and it's very rare that you're doing something so novel that nobody else has solved the problem you're tackling, and they've may well have done it in a better way that you would eventually come up with.
I'd give a caveat. One thing I feel is a very healthy attitude is to try and take 15 minutes to say "Can I find the answer to X by myself?" before looking for external help, even if you still do it afterwards as a validation step. It gets you into the habit of experimenting and gathering some minimal amount of data before going out and asking someone for help. The idea is not to stop talking to people, but to depend on them less and become the dependable person.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

gonadic io posted:

My opengl code is all idempotent. I can never get anything to appear on the screen except the clear colour. Can make as many calls as I like.

opengl is so good, just toss poo poo at the screen till it works

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
while we're at it, how do i get a job thanks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

tef posted:

drunkpost on linkedin

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i guess i should get a linked in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

go to a company and they'll give you one.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tef posted:

i guess i should get a linked in

isn't LinkedIn like Facebook where you already have an account (due to their extensive tracking), you just have to sign into it and fill in the rest of the details

also tef what do you want to do?

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I'm just finishing a nearly two-week-long refactoring effort of a mid-large system which builds all of the company's C-based code.

Makefiles are the friggin worst things to debug.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was very proud of myself when I got my makefile to determine whether I was running CMD.EXE or Cygwin and to build a path to virtualjaguar.exe appropriately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

you will never stop Googling things and asking teammates for advice. if you do, you're probably doing something bad

Or you are a sage greybeard doing crazy poo poo that nobody else does in the entire world.

• Locked thread