Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

This is what delights and infuriates me about crap books/films/whatever. You get an idea like RPO and it is done so, so terribly. But it gives you a little spark of insight and inspiration because it COULD be the bedrock for some really fascinating fiction.

The same thing happened for me in Name of the Wind (or perhaps the sequel, I don't remember). At one point the protagonist has money troubles while at the magic academy and meets up with a loan shark who's a former student and runs kind of a black market for magic stuff. And right there I got a glimpse of the potential for an actually interesting story told in the same world. A story about a wealth of incredibly useful knowledge jealously hoarded away by a privileged group, a student falling through the cracks of their ridiculous standards and finding her own way of getting back at them, all the ways that magic is actually changing life for the regular people on the ground, all that good stuff.

But no, instead we're stuck with Captain Awesome's story about loving all the sex ninjas, pursuing the most boring romance in the world, and stumbling into seemingly every single important prophecy and event in the world because of course he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I got "In the balance" by Turtledove a couple of years back (for pretty much the same reason I got "Watch on the Rhine" - nazis fighting aliens). It's the first in a series of books. For those who don't know, the premise is that aliens have been planning an invasion of earth for like the last thousand years. The invasion fleet arrives expecting to face off against knights on horseback, but instead finds itself in the middle of WWII. So now the nazis, the commies, the chinese, the japanese, the yanks and the brits all have to team up to fight evil alien invaders!

And it's so loving badly written. Now, mind, it's not the frothing rant that "Watch on the Rhine" is. It's just...boring. Every character is a one-dimensional stereotype. Every non-american character exists only to contrast themselves and their nation against the US. Two german officers will be talking and constantly go "Let us drink beer and eat bratwurst, as is the way of us orderly germans, unlike those free-spirited americans who only drink coca-cola and eat hamburgers". I can't even remember who any of the characters were. There's the german noble officer, the chinese peasant girl, some russian farmer and they're all constantly inner-monologueing how they sure aren't like those americans.

The only good bit in the book is when the germans fire off a round from the Schwerer Gustav railway cannon against a alien landing site. The aliens send up advanced countermeasures designed to knock out guided missles...which does jack all against a solid 7-ton lump of metal coming barreling out of the sky.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

today i learned about rupi kaur and i wish i hadn't

Did you read this article from the Cut?

quote:

“I will always go into a used bookstore,” she says, even when she’s working. “I’ll collect a lot of covers that inspire me — whether it’s the paper inside, whether it’s a font, so then later I can be like, okay, how’s mine going to look?”

quote:

On a cart at the Strand, Milk and Honey sits alongside Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay, Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit, and Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehesi Coates. Kaur read half of Between the World and Me. “I had to take notes,” she says — it was “more academic” than her typical reading. Recently she got Notorious RBG, and she’s been enjoying that.

quote:

“This guy is the best,” she says, noticing an edition of Kafka’s complete stories; she’s referring to Peter Mendelsund, the book’s designer. “The dream is to have him design my next book.” His work, she points out, translates well across media — to different sizes, to posters, to digital.

When people bitch about millenial bullshit, they're bitching about Rupi Kaur

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

That's what clued me into her, yes.

quote:

Earlier in our conversation, Kaur’s constellation of gold rings caught my attention as she was speaking; I compliment them, and she thanks me. “This one I got when Milk and Honey reached number one on the New York Times list,” she says, indicating an emerald on her left middle finger. “I got this one in Oakland, and then this one I got when I finished writing the manuscript, and then this one was for selling over a million books. And then this one I got after I got all these and was like, oh, I’m just allowed to buy them now for no reason at all.”

I shouldn't be surprised, someone like her comes along every few years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I got "In the balance" by Turtledove a couple of years back (for pretty much the same reason I got "Watch on the Rhine" - nazis fighting aliens). It's the first in a series of books. For those who don't know, the premise is that aliens have been planning an invasion of earth for like the last thousand years. The invasion fleet arrives expecting to face off against knights on horseback, but instead finds itself in the middle of WWII. So now the nazis, the commies, the chinese, the japanese, the yanks and the brits all have to team up to fight evil alien invaders!

And it's so loving badly written. Now, mind, it's not the frothing rant that "Watch on the Rhine" is. It's just...boring. Every character is a one-dimensional stereotype. Every non-american character exists only to contrast themselves and their nation against the US. Two german officers will be talking and constantly go "Let us drink beer and eat bratwurst, as is the way of us orderly germans, unlike those free-spirited americans who only drink coca-cola and eat hamburgers". I can't even remember who any of the characters were. There's the german noble officer, the chinese peasant girl, some russian farmer and they're all constantly inner-monologueing how they sure aren't like those americans.

The only good bit in the book is when the germans fire off a round from the Schwerer Gustav railway cannon against a alien landing site. The aliens send up advanced countermeasures designed to knock out guided missles...which does jack all against a solid 7-ton lump of metal coming barreling out of the sky.

Actually, that's one of Turtledove's better series. He peaked super early and has been spiraling downwards ever since. There's so much outright offensive alt hist schlock out there (such as Watch on the Rhine) that he's spent his entire career coasting on the merits of being able to string together words about nazis without accidentally turning into unironically pro-fascist propaganda, regardless of the quality of his writing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Turtledove's chief controversy was how he always turned Mormons into suicide bombers or something like that; he certainly did in Timeline-191, which is the only long series of his that I've read, but I don't know beyond that.

Most of Timeline-191 is pretty lazy in the sense that it's more or less a search and replace of the eastern front in World War II that replaces Nazi Germany with the Confederates and the Soviet Union with the USA. For example, the Confederate invasion of Ohio that starts the Second Great War is code-named "Operation Blackbeard", corresponding to Operation Barbarossa (which means "red beard" for anyone unfamiliar).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Turtledove's chief controversy was how he always turned Mormons into suicide bombers or something like that; he certainly did in Timeline-191, which is the only long series of his that I've read, but I don't know beyond that.

Most of Timeline-191 is pretty lazy in the sense that it's more or less a search and replace of the eastern front in World War II that replaces Nazi Germany with the Confederates and the Soviet Union with the USA. For example, the Confederate invasion of Ohio that starts the Second Great War is code-named "Operation Blackbeard", corresponding to Operation Barbarossa (which means "red beard" for anyone unfamiliar).

Most of all of Turtledove's writing is a lazy search and replace.

To be fair it's not like he singled the Mormons out, he pulls out the suicide bomber card in every asymmetric war (including the humans vs. aliens one, and a couple other conflicts in the same series as the Mormons.) And almost all of his books are about asymmetric wars.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

This sounds like something from F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

zoux posted:

Y'all know I'm a gentle-hearted man but I want to give this dumdum a loving swirly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hello I'd call my oeuvre "Poetry for Basic White Girls"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Turtledove is probably best known for The Road Not Taken, a short story that's probably the best you're gonna get because it's not expected to have much solid characterisation. That's the one where aliens who have antigravity technology allowing for FTL travel and every other aspect of their technology and culture stuck in the Napoleonic era trying to invade contemporary Earth. (There was a SNL sketch with more or less this premise which may or may not have been inspired by it)

There's some fun ideas to it in that apparently while a bronze-age civilisation can figure out antigravity and FTL, apparently the technology is so different and weird that the scientific method is an active impediment to figuring it out, and as a result civilisations that do tend to abandon it or stagnate because they can just fly around and drop things on people. The logic on that is probably questionable, but it's a good enough reasoning for a technological disparity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Brass Key posted:

^^^ Sweet Jesus that's full of some real gems.

:psyduck:

Because these are mostly teenagers and this is the equivalent of a high-level martial arts student beating up some children who just signed up for classes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Because these are mostly teenagers and this is the equivalent of a high-level martial arts student beating up some children who just signed up for classes

Yeah, that whole essay is pointlessly cruel.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Don't judge a b actually you know what gently caress it don't even care about the content of a book :mad:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oxxidation posted:

Much of the old TvT thread's anger seemed rooted in not realizing a lot of their targets were actual children

Not ALL of them, which is why it was generally okay and funny when they focused on the military fetishist who'd washed out of the actual military or that one guy who was really obsessed with creating self-insert fanfic where he had sex with black women in the age of dinosaurs, but enough of them that it got weird.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The meaner those threads got, the worse, but there was also some real joy. Whether Mills College Anime Club was written by a 13-year-old or a 30-year-old, it brought everyone together. :unsmith:

Edit: also KIKEN

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Oct 5, 2017

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
Well now I feel bad, I just skimmed the essay for bad poetry.

In payment, have some more poems that are basically just tweets.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brass Key posted:

She could make a poem that's literally

water is
moist
like me

--rupi kaur

And get a million loving likes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks the term twee bullshit has come alive and stalks the earth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
dril is the poet of our time.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Inescapable Duck posted:

dril is the poet of our time.

tbh "I will face god and walk backwards into hell" is a more evocative image than any rupi kaur poem and it's prefaced with "if the zoo bans me for hollering at the animals".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Uh, Rupi Kaur's poetry is actually Very Important because she's Not White.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't want to know any more about this woman than I already do but it def looks like she's spent her life from college onward busily exploiting racial and feminist narratives to boost the numbers of her armada of social-media followers and then siccing them on her brainless books to drive up sales and visibility.

The business of publishing is a brutally cynical one.

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Oct 5, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Brass Key posted:

tbh "I will face god and walk backwards into hell" is a more evocative image than any rupi kaur poem and it's prefaced with "if the zoo bans me for hollering at the animals".
personally there's just something about "automatically drafted into the skeleton army" that does it for me

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

chitoryu12 posted:

She could make a poem that's literally

water is
moist
like me

--rupi kaur

And get a million loving likes.

water
is the essence
of wetness

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So. Farewell then

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brass Key posted:

I look forward to telling my irradiated mutant children that yes, I actually was around when the true master of the english language was in his prime

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
dril is a true genius, and I hope that he gets his due a hundred years from now.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like David Weber books but I am so sick of the phrase "bomb-pumped x-ray lasers"

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Brass Key posted:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The meaner those threads got, the worse, but there was also some real joy. Whether Mills College Anime Club was written by a 13-year-old or a 30-year-old, it brought everyone together. :unsmith:

In retrospect I'm a bit embarrassed to have taken part in a lot of those threads, but I'll always have a soft spot for "~Anime is the tie that bind us~".

quote:

Edit: also KIKEN

I remember guy who wrote that one was the same guy who wrote the most infamous Troper Tale of all, which lovingly boasted about how he was probably the youngest person ever to suffer from having a "berserk button" because "He broke 33 pencils in his life, and had a good friend break two of those pencils because they were too hard."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

In retrospect I'm a bit embarrassed to have taken part in a lot of those threads, but I'll always have a soft spot for "~Anime is the tie that bind us~".

I remember guy who wrote that one was the same guy who wrote the most infamous Troper Tale of all, which lovingly boasted about how he was probably the youngest person ever to suffer from having a "berserk button" because "He broke 33 pencils in his life, and had a good friend break two of those pencils because they were too hard."

That kid sounds inhuman.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am... the NDODE

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I don't get the rupi kaur hate, although I was clueless as to who she is before now. Her work doesn't stand out to me and feels mundane, although the formatting is of some interest.

[quote="“Oxxidation”" post="“477084802”"]
I don’t want to know any more about this woman than I already do but it def looks like she’s spent her life from college onward busily exploiting racial and feminist narratives to boost the numbers of her armada of social-media followers and then siccing them on her brainless books to drive up sales and visibility.
[/quote]

I mean how else does a young millennial market themselves? Seriously, is she genuinely deluding people by leaning on social justice in her work/social media persona then turning around and being exclusionary/hypocritical?

edit: thank you for posting the article below, this is what I'm talking about. My disdain for her is found.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Oct 6, 2017

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm not invested in this beyond having looked at her poetry, but here's an article that talks about her use of 'collective trauma'.

quote:

While more female South Asian voices are indeed needed in mainstream culture and media, there is something deeply uncomfortable about the self-appointed spokesperson of South Asian womanhood being a privileged young woman from the West who unproblematically claims the experience of the colonized subject as her own, and profits from her invocation of generational trauma. There is no shame in acknowledging the many differences between Kaur’s experience of the world in 2017 and that of a woman living directly under colonial rule in the early 20th century. For example: neither is any more "authentically" South Asian. But it is disingenuous to collect a variety of traumatic narratives and present them to the West as a kind of feminist ethnography under the mantle of confession, while only vaguely acknowledging those whose stories inspired the poetry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Djeser posted:

I'm not invested in this beyond having looked at her poetry, but here's an article that talks about her use of 'collective trauma'.

From the same article:

quote:

This is not the only censure Kaur's work has been subject to. Satirical tweets, which have racked up hundreds of likes, imply that Kaur’s work is formulaic, shallow, and lacks true poetic talent. Her readers, however, do not mount a defense based on the quality of Kaur’s language; rather, they cite her openness about personal trauma in response to critiques of her work, suggesting that such honesty, particularly from a woman of color, exempts her from accusations of superficiality. That the debate has divided itself in such a way is a direct result of the poet’s own self-presentation: Whether on social media or in her poetry, Kaur has consistently marketed herself as an authentic writer who produces art free of artifice, and so any discussion of her work inevitably falls along these lines.

Pretty much what I figured. She's not an author, she's a brand, and commands the same slavering knee-jerk loyalty.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

khy posted:

I like David Weber books but I am so sick of the phrase "bomb-pumped x-ray lasers"

I tried to read Weber's Honour Harrington but ended up dropping it about three books in because his antagonists just suck so much. Not just "suck" in the way they're written, but in that they're simply bad at everything. Every time we get a glimpse into their world, we're told how their politics suck, their society sucks, or their military sucks. When we get a PoV character from their side, they usually think about how much their side sucks and how they hate it, but they still fight for them out of some atrophied sense of patriotism or simply inertia.

At that point, it doesn't really feel so much like our protagonists heroically struggling against overwhelming odds, but more like them beating up a retarded child. This was particularly apparent in the third book: The so far mostly cold war finally goes hot, and we get the first serious clashes in what has been hyped up as the both inevitable as well as utterly decisive showdown between the two major power blocs. And what happens? The antagonists instantly lose on every front in ridiculously decisive ways, and their government immediately collapses. That just kind of killed any sense of having stakes or a struggle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Perestroika posted:

I tried to read Weber's Honour Harrington but ended up dropping it about three books in because his antagonists just suck so much. Not just "suck" in the way they're written, but in that they're simply bad at everything. Every time we get a glimpse into their world, we're told how their politics suck, their society sucks, or their military sucks. When we get a PoV character from their side, they usually think about how much their side sucks and how they hate it, but they still fight for them out of some atrophied sense of patriotism or simply inertia.

At that point, it doesn't really feel so much like our protagonists heroically struggling against overwhelming odds, but more like them beating up a retarded child. This was particularly apparent in the third book: The so far mostly cold war finally goes hot, and we get the first serious clashes in what has been hyped up as the both inevitable as well as utterly decisive showdown between the two major power blocs. And what happens? The antagonists instantly lose on every front in ridiculously decisive ways, and their government immediately collapses. That just kind of killed any sense of having stakes or a struggle.

Well it's all Horatio Hornblower and Nelson except IN SPAAAACE and if all you've ever read about Napoleonic naval warfare is novels where the handsome British captain captures half the French/Spanish fleet singlehanded you'd end up writing the bad guys and stupid cannon fodder too.

Weber is a terrible writer is what I'm saying here, and it almost goes without saying those books turn up everywhere on TV Tropes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Pretty much what I figured. She's not an author, she's a brand, and commands the same slavering knee-jerk loyalty.

Correct, and people who consciously and calculatedly make themselves into "brands" need to be messily shat upon from a great height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

It's not like the anecephalic baby thing where goons hounded a grieving couple - tropers put there stuff out there and attempted to argue for why their stuff was superior to other poetry.

Aside from the TVTropes bashing, I think it's a nice little demonstration of why some poems work and others are garbage. Would probably improve a lot of high schoolers output.