Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

what is that face

what is it

what does it mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

He did it! He did the jojo thing!

You can't just introduce a clairvoyant Joseph lookalike without doing the thing, and he went ahead and did it!

I'm satisfied.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kild posted:

Day 1 was Sabaody + Fishman Island, Day 2 was Punk Hazard, Day 3 was Dressrosa, they got a newspaper about Law's Resignation the next morning. They left Dressrosa on Day 6, got to Zou on Day 14. Left on Day 15, brought a weeks' worth of food traveling to Whole Cake Island.

So a little over 3 weeks so far.

...you seem to forget they spent a whole week recovering after dressrosa. But yeah, it's only been about a month or so since Fishman Island.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shugojin posted:

what is that face

what is it

what does it mean

gomu gomu no boh 4.

Julias posted:

...you seem to forget they spent a whole week recovering after dressrosa. But yeah, it's only been about a month or so since Fishman Island.

It was only 3 days

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The entirety of the pre-timeskip is something like 3 months so this short time isn't anything new.

Did he eat the glass? What was going on with his mouth pulling.

The funny face is to make the crew feel reassured that everything is fine which is why he told them he'd already made it to the island, only Jimbei realises he's actually in bone city.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think he was hiding the piece of glass he was talking to nami with in his mouth so nobody could hear her

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I still don't like Jinbei very much but the crew having a dedicated helmsman finally is cool and he's a good fit for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EGSunBro posted:

Has Katakuri done the Joseph thing before or is this the first time? It's pretty amazing Luffy is literally fighting a Joestar.

Now if only Katakuri had even an iota of a JoJo character's personality. Hopefully once the fight proper begins he'll start displaying some kind of character.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In case you want to know what Luffy getting his tooth knocked out looks like in the anime

https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/39707

Ow.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shugojin posted:

what is that face

what is it

what does it mean

At first I thought it was "My friends survived, they're so great," but upon rereading I think it's him giving a big goofy grin to put them at ease and make them think he's got the fight completely under control so they won't worry about him, since while he has no intention of dying he doesn't know for sure if he'll make it.

Also the One Piece Podcast has been theorizing pretty often about Jinbei being the Helmsman so when he finally flat out said it I geeked the gently caress out. Both because it's official and Jinbei is now 150% ready to join the crew, but it was also just cool as gently caress.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

At first I thought it was "My friends survived, they're so great," but upon rereading I think it's him giving a big goofy grin to put them at ease and make them think he's got the fight completely under control so they won't worry about him, since while he has no intention of dying he doesn't know for sure if he'll make it.

Yeah that's my thoughts on it because he also tells them he's at the island already.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Shugojin posted:

what is that face

what is it

what does it mean

Do you remember Rosinante's goodbye to Law?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i thought it was a mirror clone at first

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's all about...

Gol D Roger

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Took me a while, but the last few chapters have convinced me that Jinbei fits very well on the crew. Waiting for that first color spread including him now.

I'd also love to have Carrot as the lookout, and cause I think it would be neat to have the 2 new crew members be at extreme opposites in terms of experience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe Oda said something to the effect of having several crew members join at once. But it was years ago and no one thought it would happen.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 5, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe that turned into the armada

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Goddamn, Luffy is hardcore

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope Luffy can now focus solely on stamping the hell out of John Carpenter's Katakuri

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Helmsman is a good title and steering an entire ship with just the ropes is kickin rad. I honestly never considered Jinbei would even have a crew title other than the Fish Guy.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I caved. almost immediately

My main man

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've also pretty much 180'd on Jimbe joining now too. Bring on the fishman.

Carrot as lookout would still rule though too.

But again my biggest worry is that 90% of the Straw Hats are going to get totally eclipsed by Law or Marco or someone else in Zou

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MonsterEnvy posted:

I believe Oda said something to the effect of having several crew members join at once. But it was years ago and no one thought it would happen.

he could have been referring to sanji rejoining along with jinbe joining so who knows

i could see carrot joining at this point. either her or kinemon. i cant imagine there's anyone else with enough screen time to have the impact of becoming a crewmate.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

he could have been referring to sanji rejoining along with jinbe joining so who knows

i could see carrot joining at this point. either her or kinemon. i cant imagine there's anyone else with enough screen time to have the impact of becoming a crewmate.

Vivi.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Too soon, Executus

there's no apparent way to write her back in yet I feel

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oh right i forgot about her too even though i've made the case she could rejoin post reverie and she fits the bill

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbei as official Helmsman once the arc is over :pray:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Isn't Cobra sick? I feel like that might stop her from rejoining.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Just chiming in that Luffy is amazing, and always has been. He might not be the pirate king for ten more years, but he's been the shonen protagonist king for multiple decades already.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

brainSnakes posted:

Just chiming in that Luffy is amazing, and always has been. He might not be the pirate king for ten more years, but he's been the shonen protagonist king for multiple decades already.

When I first got into all this Luffy is why I stuck with the story until Arlong Park (which is when the story's own momentum picked up the slack for my tastes and started pushing forward). Him making fun of Coby for being annoying but still helping the goober start his dream path to be diametrically opposed to Luffy's own life choices made me want to see what happens next.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
gently caress yes Helmsman Jinbei, Knight of the Sea. :allears: I'm looking forward to him and Franky nerding out about the Thousand Sunny in 2+ years.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Jinbei for helmsman.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She is already considered an official Straw Hat in the eyes of the crew but her joining up permanently means they'd have to find a way around the whole "princess with a responsibility to her country" aspect. Plus, beyond that she doesn't seem to have any real dreams of her own.

A reunion at some point is almost definitely in the cards at least though and it would be interesting to see her reaction to the newer members of the crew (there might be some lingering tension between her and Robin at first but I could totally see her geeking out over Franky).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 5, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

She is already considered an official Straw Hat in the eyes of the crew but her joining up permanently means they'd have to find a way around the whole "princess with a responsibility to her country" aspect. Plus, beyond that she doesn't seem to have any real dreams of her own.

she could explain her contempt for the current world government at reverie and they kick her country out leaving her with no country to rule. more impressively, if there's some sort of end-game situation in which the WG has to flex their muscle for story purposes, wiping out alabasta would be the country to do it to. that would be all the motivation she needs to overturn the WG with the strawhats and give them a personal reason to absolve the current WG.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Shugojin posted:

what is that face

what is it

what does it mean

he's holding his mouth so as to not cry out in pain and he's grinning to put his crew at ease

:zoro:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Carrot is cool, but she has no reason to permanently leave the other minks, especially since she's a musketeer and would want to fill the void where Pedro was. She's a shoo-in for the armada though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
jimbei....... thank you

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jinbei owns and always owned, those of you who doubted my gospel can suck it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Carrot is cool, but she has no reason to permanently leave the other minks, especially since she's a musketeer and would want to fill the void where Pedro was. She's a shoo-in for the armada though.

carrot will join because luffy and the crew are the ones who will bring the world to its new dawn and pedro entrusted that future to them