Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zero VGS posted:

Preorders are up on ShopBLT for the overpriced Asus: http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100300U033_B1FD867P.shtml

Not too horrible at $185, but why the gently caress do we keep needing new motherboards with pretty much each and every Intel chip? What changed this time around? I'm pretty sure the motherboard makers pay Intel to intentionally not make chips backwards compatible.

If you can't understand why intel is doing this you are one dense motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

It's accelerating too, Z370 boards will be outdated and left without an upgrade path only 9 months from now. The IPC and frequency advantage over Ryzen allows them to pull stuff like that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Outdated? By what? A new Coffee Lake system should run well for 2-4 years with video card upgrades.

eames
May 9, 2009

Z390 (2H/2018) will do everything Z370 does plus likely Ice Lake compatibility. There's also a good chance that 8C CFL-S will only run on Z390.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm XML posted:

If you can't understand why intel is doing this you are one dense motherfucker

Well yeah, I mean I thought my last sentence was a solid theory. You'd think they'd dial it back a bit now they they have actual CPU competition again.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

Preorders are up on ShopBLT for the overpriced Asus: http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100300U033_B1FD867P.shtml

Not too horrible at $185, but why the gently caress do we keep needing new motherboards with pretty much each and every Intel chip? What changed this time around? I'm pretty sure the motherboard makers pay Intel to intentionally not make chips backwards compatible.

I really hope another manufacturer will step up to the plate with a dual m.2 design for less. I don't really need top of the line VRMs since no one on ITX is going for world record overclock so. Also, no one needs RGB, so there's that too.

I'm not too shaken up my the motherboard thing, I didn't get Kaby Lake so it doesn't matter much to me. It could possibly suck down the line, but that is the price we pay for demanding top of the (consumer) line stuff.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zero VGS posted:

Well yeah, I mean I thought my last sentence was a solid theory. You'd think they'd dial it back a bit now they they have actual CPU competition again.

It's pretty clear intel can't turn on a dime and is flailing to protect its margins so would thus not give a gently caress about forcing a Mobo change since ryzen was not a thing during the z370 development and it looks essentially like a minor change for Mobo makers. Forcing a Mobo change lets them sell high margin chipsets and other garbage to pad sales numbers while CPUs are losing margin due to the increase in die size

In short they didnt give a gently caress about the consumer since they didnt have to and didn't count on having to due to having market dominance

AMD should be drilling this home but they are well AMD

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Amazing that we're on the second generation of mobos with 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connectors, but cases for this are rare as hens teeth

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I tried installing the accelero on my 1080ti and have given up. I used thermal tape instead of the paste that came with it and went to finally install it into the ncase and 25% of the heat spreaders fell off...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Man, it's looking like motherboard manufacturer's didn't bother with any new designs for the Z370, just making the minimum adjustments to their Z270 boards... Which means dual m.2 ITX boards are still going to be extremely limited, and that means the Asus one will probably be it for a while.

horchata posted:

I tried installing the accelero on my 1080ti and have given up. I used thermal tape instead of the paste that came with it and went to finally install it into the ncase and 25% of the heat spreaders fell off...

Just use the glue. I know its a little scary, but you an spin the heatspreaders to get them off and then use rubbing alcohol to clean up.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So, apparently there's a whole wild world of crazy Chinese computer cases out there and some brave souls are buying them and trying to use them. There is a Dan Case A4 knock off, which seems to be a good bit cheaper and probably has more availability. Here's the link to the forum and a direct link the Taobao listing.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/whats-on-taobao.885/page-8#post-63130

https://world.taobao.com/item/545250722223.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.201601086188259.6.6FOF0.545250722227&scm=1007.12679.206343

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The only expensive part of the A4 case is the 3M cable and so random Chinese company uses a cheap ribbon instead, so you are not going to get great PCIe performance I would guess:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I just plunked down for an M1 in preparation for a Coffee Lake build. I feel so horrible spending $230 on a case but couldn't resist.

Any tips for cooling setups? Never worked in a case so small. Would prefer low noise > performance. I have an Asus Strix 1080 (open air) I'm going to be putting in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I ordered myself a Define Nano S. I was looking at tinier cases first, but after taking some measurements I figured I'll go with the slightly larger case and save myself the headache of having to use a shoehorn to fit everything.

Gonna build a custom loop cooling both the CPU and GPU (i5 + GTX 1060, no overclocking) with a 240mm rad exhausting through the top vent. It's a modest build I know, but my goal is to get it as quiet as absolutely possible.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Collateral Damage posted:

I ordered myself a Define Nano S. I was looking at tinier cases first, but after taking some measurements I figured I'll go with the slightly larger case and save myself the headache of having to use a shoehorn to fit everything.

Gonna build a custom loop cooling both the CPU and GPU (i5 + GTX 1060, no overclocking) with a 240mm rad exhausting through the top vent. It's a modest build I know, but my goal is to get it as quiet as absolutely possible.

Keep us updated as you progress.

I myself am approaching a new build once new Nvidia GPUs are released and I want something smaller than my current 47L fractal R3. mATX for sure, likely 20L instead of 12L or less with mITX, but with room to breathe. I really like the Falcon NW Fragbox and will probably just order one of those next year.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

dy. posted:

I just plunked down for an M1 in preparation for a Coffee Lake build. I feel so horrible spending $230 on a case but couldn't resist.

Any tips for cooling setups? Never worked in a case so small. Would prefer low noise > performance. I have an Asus Strix 1080 (open air) I'm going to be putting in.
I kinda felt weird when I got mine as well, but I got over it. It's such a nice case.

Honestly unless you're doing some crazy overclocking or anything, a NH-U9S and some case fans should be fine.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If I couldn't use my C-14, I'd have gone with the U9 for sure.

If you're going balls out on overclocking might need a CLC unit.

Keelbone
Sep 3, 2011

beyond the sunset leads my way

Cross-posting here cause I think I put it in the wrong thread first.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£238.44 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£159.91 @ More Computers)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£128.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card (£383.94 @ Aria PC)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Snow Edition Mini ITX Tower Case (£45.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£72.44 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Total: £1028.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-06 22:18 BST+0100

Are there any obvious problems with this? Haven't built my own PC before so I might be missing something.
Things I'm not sure on are different types/brands of RAM, and if the storage should be M.2 or 2.5"?

I've read that the Core V1 is pretty easy to build in for a first build, has anyone used it before?

Thanks!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

dy. posted:

Don't strix gpus not fit inside the ncase

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Keelbone posted:

Cross-posting here cause I think I put it in the wrong thread first.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£238.44 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£159.91 @ More Computers)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£128.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card (£383.94 @ Aria PC)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Snow Edition Mini ITX Tower Case (£45.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£72.44 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Total: £1028.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-06 22:18 BST+0100

Are there any obvious problems with this? Haven't built my own PC before so I might be missing something.
Things I'm not sure on are different types/brands of RAM, and if the storage should be M.2 or 2.5"?

I've read that the Core V1 is pretty easy to build in for a first build, has anyone used it before?

Thanks!

Yes, everything there will work fine, I've built a dozen systems with Core V1. You'll love the white one you're getting. Don't forget the CPU cooler though... You can attach a 140mm CLC like the hydro 90 inside the front of the case so it uses the built in 200mm fan, works great.

Keelbone
Sep 3, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, everything there will work fine, I've built a dozen systems with Core V1. You'll love the white one you're getting. Don't forget the CPU cooler though... You can attach a 140mm CLC like the hydro 90 inside the front of the case so it uses the built in 200mm fan, works great.

Thanks! :) Is getting an extra cooler required or will the builtin fan be okay if I'm not overclocking right now?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Keelbone posted:

Thanks! :) Is getting an extra cooler required or will the builtin fan be okay if I'm not overclocking right now?

The stock i7 cooler will work but it will be loud and might throttle the boost under load. If you can get one of these it fits perfect in the Core V1 and will keep the chip much cooler using only the built in 200mm fan at silent RPMs.

https://www.amazon.com/NoFan-CR-80EH-IcePipe-Fanless-Cooler/dp/B00HW2O2L2

Keelbone
Sep 3, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

The stock i7 cooler will work but it will be loud and might throttle the boost under load. If you can get one of these it fits perfect in the Core V1 and will keep the chip much cooler using only the built in 200mm fan at silent RPMs.

https://www.amazon.com/NoFan-CR-80EH-IcePipe-Fanless-Cooler/dp/B00HW2O2L2

Awesome, I'll try one of those & keep the H90 in mind if I need that instead. Thanks for the help, now just to wait for the i7 to ever arrive :v:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

horchata posted:

You sure? I've heard it barely fits.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Keelbone posted:

stock cooler should be fine forever since you're not getting a k chip, and can't overclick

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

horchata posted:

I think the Strix only moved up to 2.5 slot coolers with the GTX 1080 Ti, the previous ones were 2 slot.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

beepsandboops posted:

I kinda felt weird when I got mine as well, but I got over it. It's such a nice case.

Honestly unless you're doing some crazy overclocking or anything, a NH-U9S and some case fans should be fine.
More nCase chat:

Any tips for fan config? Assuming I'm going with the NH-U9S, and I'll have a Strix 1080 so it will be dumping air. Plan on having two 120mms at the bottom dumping out, but ???

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I thought the Strix models had difficulty fitting in the NCase M1?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

brainwrinkle posted:

I thought the Strix models had difficulty fitting in the NCase M1?
From the reports I've seen, the 1080 will fit, it's just a very very tight squeeze.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

Keep us updated as you progress.

I myself am approaching a new build once new Nvidia GPUs are released and I want something smaller than my current 47L fractal R3. mATX for sure, likely 20L instead of 12L or less with mITX, but with room to breathe. I really like the Falcon NW Fragbox and will probably just order one of those next year.

I built one of these earlier this year, here's the part list:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($168.44 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($339.87 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($442.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founder Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.97 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - R4-SFNL-24PK-R1 38.0 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Fan: Cooler Master - R4-SFNL-24PK-R1 38.0 CFM 120mm Fan

EK Stuff:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-se-240-slim-dual-5001
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-duraclear-11-1-15-9mm

I ended up building a custom EKWB loop with a single 240mm low profile rad mounted to the front, two Silencio FP120 PWM 2400s pushing air from the front, and two more pushing air out the top and back. I have a ghetto piece of construction paper closing off the rest of the top vent to make sure air flows the right way and to keep crap out of the top of the case. The radiator would not have fit above the board with the two fans pulled air through it. This was my first custom build and the tubing I used was 5/8ths and was probably one size too large, and would probably use 1/2 if I had it to do again. Also the pump / reservoir combo JUST barely fits between the end of the Ti and the radiator on the front of the case. Sadly it looks a little crowded inside.

My CPU temps spike pretty regularly but I think it's due to lovely paste on the IHS from Intel, so I'm going to fix that with a delid here soon. The 1080Ti never crosses 60C even with the power target bumped to 120%. It seems like the front cover and the dust filter of the Nano S really inhibit the airflow, as I can make a good 3-4C back by removing the front cover.

EDIT: I'm still pretty impressed by the case, it's one of the better MiniITX cases I've built in

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 9, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know who's nuts/rich enough for one of these, but: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158060&cm_re=asrock_deskmini-_-56-158-060-_-Product

ASRock Mini-STX 1080 barebones is in stock.

Edit: Three M.2 slots is a nice touch, I doubt that 1080 can run at 100% without throttling though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know who's nuts/rich enough for one of these, but: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158060&cm_re=asrock_deskmini-_-56-158-060-_-Product

ASRock Mini-STX 1080 barebones is in stock.

Edit: Three M.2 slots is a nice touch, I doubt that 1080 can run at 100% without throttling though.

Jesus, that's even more marked up than the 1060 one, which was $800. An additional $800 to go from a 1060 to a 1080.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 10, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

In case anyone was wondering, the Asus Z370-i is not compatible with the CoolerMaster Master Liquid 240 due to the cold plate either hitting a row of capacitors or the hoses hitting the obscenely large katana inspired heatsinks... This is dissapointing. Luckily my brother has an old H100 that I traded him for, now the next hurdle is finding an adapter because I don't have molex anymore to power the AIO pump...

Anyway, this is my NCase M1 build.
Intel i5-8400
16GB G.Skill DDR4-3000
Asus Z370-i
EVGA GTX 1080Ti with Arctic Cooling Accelero 3 cooler
Silverstone SX500-LG
Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Here's some pics with the panels off.

My next steps are:
Getting the molex adapter I need so I can actually run the machine
Get an i7-8700k once they're more available
Get a Corsair SF600 because its smaller and I may need more power to OC an 8700K
Getting an NVME SSD so I can just have the two m.2 SSDs and no SATA cables or SATA power cables.

The cable management is bad as there's nowhere to reroute everything, but pretty much every micro build has bad cable management.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've got an Fractal Design Node 202 that I'm replacing with an Ncase M1, so I'd figure I'd offer the Node 202 to you SFF goons for the cost of shipping. The case itself is pretty good shape, and lived in a Pelican case for most of it's 2 month life. It's part-complete (including PCIe riser), save for the SSD retainer from the center divider. PM me if you want it or want pictures, otherwise it's off to SA-Mart.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.nzxt.com/products/h200i-matte-white

:eyepop:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I wish they had a non windowed version. I don't like the thought of shattering the tempered glass window when moving the thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

they might release an option down the line, but for now TG is the hotness

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Whoa, think that’s new my builds case, thanks!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Wow I just read how horrible NZXT's CAM software is with its telemetry. When issues were addressed by concerned customers, they doubled down saying it was good for the customer that NZXT had their information. What a horrible company. I was going to maybe get the H200i but not anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rabid Snake posted:

I wish they had a non windowed version. I don't like the thought of shattering the tempered glass window when moving the thing.

I cant see how thick it is but it should be closer to a shower screen than a wine glass.