Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DeathSandwich posted:

Eh, Thanquol still has a leg up on Queek for being one of the skaven's most uniquely powerful spellcasters while also being wildly incompetent and having his plans blow up in humours ways. Including trying to summon a verminlord daemon and summoning a bloodthirster in the middle of a dwarf/skaven battle that then proceeds to stomp up both sides of the fight.

Edit: Speaking of - I wonder how they will deal with Thanquol's misfortunes if (when) he comes to total war. Significant spell cost reduction at the cost of higher spell miscast chance that instead of it backfiring on himself, backfires on a nearby allied unit?

in the tabletop he had something ridiculous like a 50% ward save but any time the ward save kicked in, instead of the damage just going away it hit another skaven nearby

SteelMentor posted:

-Skaven are so bad at sieges on both sides of the wall.

someone on another forum mentioned, instead of traditional defensive setups involving manning the walls with ranged guys, put your slaves on top of the walls to tarpit whatever comes out of their seige towers and then have your seige equipment behind the walls firing onto the top of the walls

e: re, naval combat: i'd be fine with them leaving it mostly autoresolve only if they at least give black arks some kind of special map; it's dumb that (A) there's no special cool map for fighting on a boat the size of a city, and (B) that you can lose your big investment on an ark to autoresolve

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Apparently the RRoR bug works for regular ol' Fire wizards as well. As long as you have the winds, you to can get in on that hot rat-cookin' action.

I'm not ashamed to say I abused it when I got blindsided by a triple-stack of Mazdamundi's Jurassic Park Experience. The modded Dragon Mage I had was a spinning-top of fiery wrath.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm having an issue where I'm losing about 25% of my slaves each turn but the slave manager says I should only be losing 1%.

Does anyone know what is going on?

edit: Looks like it happens when you raid your own province. Wish I noticed that sooner, I'm out at least ten thousands of slaves because of this.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 5, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm having an issue where I'm losing about 25% of my slaves each turn but the slave manager says I should only be losing 1%.

edit: Looks like it happens when you raid your own province. Wish I noticed that sooner, I'm out at least ten thousands of slaves because of this.

Serves you right for being a bad ruler.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

"Oops, I guess I killed about 10k slaves." Peak_Dark_Elves.txt right there. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 5, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SteelMentor posted:

Mazdamundi's Jurassic Park Experience.

My girlfriend yelled "can you shut the gently caress up, please" from the lounge last night because I was playing big boy Mazda and going DOO DOO DOO DOO DOOOOOO every time a dinosaur did anything... Which was often.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rygar201 posted:

I just wish they had the Man o War license too, so we could get end all be all Warhammer Fantasy setting game

this would be so cool

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

President Ark posted:

in the tabletop he had something ridiculous like a 50% ward save but any time the ward save kicked in, instead of the damage just going away it hit another skaven nearby

I remember him getting a AoE spell that did something like 3d6 hits except when it hit Skaven in which case it did double that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's easy to grin
When your ark comes in
And you've got the Asur lands beat

But the lord worthwhile
Is the frog who can smile
On a stegadon equipped with a seat

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

I just wish they had the Man o War license too, so we could get end all be all Warhammer Fantasy setting game

They need all the licenses so they can make the treasure hunting action play out like Mordheim and you could build Blood Bowl stadiums to help bolster your economy by playing a fantasy version of Football Manager. Then after you own a mega-empire you can combine your stacks and fight the other remaining mega-empires Warmaster style!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Skaven are actually excellent at defending sieges, just put your slaves in front of the walls to tie the enemy army up in front of your towers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also for naval units, what if you made it a hero but kept it from going on land somehow? Ports could be used to recruit them, and they'd have outrageously high stats to tilt the autoresolve when you embed them with a sailing lord's army

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Also for naval units, what if you made it a hero but kept it from going on land somehow? Ports could be used to recruit them, and they'd have outrageously high stats to tilt the autoresolve when you embed them with a sailing lord's army

The complaints people had about AI agents in WH1 illustrate perfectly the dangers here.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's the process of doing things like that which is hard, not the ideas of how to do it. You need to make a new hero/lord recruited differently from the existing ones with different costs and limits and different rules while using the existing UI framework and doesn't just crash the game with no warning or message for what broke.

You don't just get to type that paragraph into a xml file and it happens. Modding the existing systems like unit stats or items is very easy in this game which is why those mods come quickly. There's a very full featured framework for all that. Getting down to and changing the systems beneath is where poo poo gets real complicated real fast.

It's why the campaign map never got touched by a mod in ~6 different warscape games now. You cannot get to it. Or why minor settlements cannot have more than 4 building slots; it breaks the game in ways that aren't even worth trying to fix.

Tl;dr the issue isn't what to do for naval units, it's how to do it with what's available that isn't a complete loving mess that barely functions.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2017

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I wish I was good at modding. I want to make a mod that turns the Kroq'gar's hand of the gods into an armor or other item so he could equip it and his spear at the same time.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
:confused: but Hand of Gods already goes in the enchanted item slot, not the weapon slot

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Speaking of agents:

A lot going on here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Turn 302???????????

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I wish I was good at modding. I want to make a mod that turns the Kroq'gar's hand of the gods into an armor or other item so he could equip it and his spear at the same time.

peer posted:

:confused: but Hand of Gods already goes in the enchanted item slot, not the weapon slot

Yeah I don't know why you keep saying this dude, Hand of the Gods is an enchanted item, so you can use both. You said this before when the game came out and I just believed it and so didn't bother doing the quest battle for it. :argh:

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Fangz posted:

Turn 302???????????

I wanted to see how long it would take just Morghur's stack to completely scour the whole map.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Zhulik posted:

I wanted to see how long it would take just Morghur's stack to completely scour the whole map.

I'm with ya, the beastmen party train never stops and it's only going to get better when the mega-campaign arrives! :hfive:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

Turn 302???????????

That's normal for TW1 legendary campaigns even when they aren't trying to "burn world, all of it".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just me or is the warpstone armor from skaven really really good? turns any lord or hero into a mortis engine and quickly drains any blobs surrounding them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is a mod that makes it so the armies that spawn when you do a ritual only go after the specific settlements a thing that would be possible? I know you don't have to do the rituals but I'd like to and potentially losing a few settlements each time is pretty annoying. It'd be fine if they gave you the route the armies would take or if it told you where they were going to spawn but as it is, it's really shite.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Zhulik posted:

Speaking of agents:

A lot going on here.

Spitepeak Espionage Thunderdome

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just tried this out, it took forever to test.

If you let everyone else finish the last ritual and defeat them in battle, it does not end the campaign.

If you then destroy the other 3 main factions, it will end the campaign. No cutscene.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I seem to recall someone mentioning there's actually a hotkey that will cause cav to cycle charge. Anyone happen to remember what that was?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

J

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just wish units would remain engaged rather than standing flat footed out of formation right next to a massive melee.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeah I don't know why you keep saying this dude, Hand of the Gods is an enchanted item, so you can use both. You said this before when the game came out and I just believed it and so didn't bother doing the quest battle for it. :argh:

Oh man, I've been basing it off of them both looking like the weapon icon. I've been holding off on Kroq'gar because of it. Now I feel dumb, and bad, for bringing others down with my dumbness. I will draw for you one warhammer 2 photo of your choice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
High elves are pretty neat with their bribe everyone for improved favor. Changed my game from all of them attacking me to having all the trade agreements pretty fast. So this is what empire is gonna be like too I take it?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I think I will be ignoring all rituals from now on. I am gonna just play like normal, and if I have to fight the last ritual fights it is only 3 times.

This way I can still ally with the other main races for what ever.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The +15% upkeep for each new army on Very Hard/Legendary is really dumb. I can live with upkeep being 30% higher in general but the stacking 15% is just stupid.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
That's true, but then that's higher difficulty for you. It forces you to deal with all of the game mechanics. There's tech and building upgrades to reduce upkeep, lord traits and skills for it too, strategic map locations for bottlenecking enemy armies, places with landmarks for extra garrison troops, potential for huge trade income (especially with Helves/Lizards), treasure hunts (every skull one is worth 10k gold), hero traits to increase region income and reduce construction costs. Aside from the Helf influence mechanic, it's also possible for all factions to control AI aggro with gold gifts and diplomatic agreements, while hero actions against hated factions also provides lots of positive diplo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
speaking of treasure hunts, has anyone found a reason to explore ruins for treasure? when the army doing it is costing 3-10k per turn or is a lone general upping everything by 15% it hardly feels like you got the turn to waste and should just settle the place unless your ending your turn near a ruin you don't intend to settle.

If you could send a hero unit in to do it that would be fine for the upkeep and opportunity cost.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Because of the brutal slugout I am in with Krog-Gar in my Queek game I have largely forgotten to look for treasure. (Cause I need all my forces near me.) I am somthing like 80 turns in have 2 rituals down, allied with Clan Pestilens. Yet my lack of skill has prevented me from defeating Krog-Gar. I am near dead even with him and even when I do beat his big nasty stacks I gennerally have lost several of my own stacks and am too weakened to finish him off forcing one of us to offer peace to rebuild.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

speaking of treasure hunts, has anyone found a reason to explore ruins for treasure? when the army doing it is costing 3-10k per turn or is a lone general upping everything by 15% it hardly feels like you got the turn to waste and should just settle the place unless your ending your turn near a ruin you don't intend to settle.

If you could send a hero unit in to do it that would be fine for the upkeep and opportunity cost.

I find it's totally not worth it, especially with the increased risk of failure compared to treasurw hunting at sea.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nothing feels worse than doing a treasure hunt and nothing happens is the rewards

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Best results I've gotten from treasure hunts were 20% research for 5 turns, 750g or a couple turns worth of ritual currency with some major penalties for choosing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Treasure hunting is just half-baked in genral.

Either the size/cost of the army should affect things, or armies should be cut of the process entirely and only heroes should be allowed to hunt treasure.