Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JeffersonClay posted:

The best part about gun chat is the outliers who'd normally be posting about guillotines and siezing the means of production who suddenly become deeply concerned with constitutional rights, legal precedent and the efficacy of government regulation.

I wouldn't soil the mighty guillotine with the blood of NRA member CEOs. They get barrel o HF tossed in some suburban community pond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Party Plane Jones posted:

Don't you mean in the year After Colony 195?

Universal Century or bust.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I'm fine with every american owning a guillotine instead of a gun

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JeffersonClay posted:

The best part about gun chat is the outliers who'd normally be posting about guillotines and siezing the means of production who suddenly become deeply concerned with constitutional rights, legal precedent and the efficacy of government regulation.
I feel like someone must have beaten you with a copy of God and the State when you were young.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

duz posted:

Universal Century or bust.

Well UC does start with a giant false flag.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Tropical Storm Nate is on a direct course for New Orleans right now and will likely become a hurricane within the next few days. Most predictions have it staying pretty weak but, well, they said much the same thing about Maria...

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I feel like someone must have beaten you with a copy of God and the State when you were young.

Not at all, anarchism was totally my jam when I was fourteen.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Tropical Storm Nate is on a direct course for New Orleans right now and will likely become a hurricane within the next few days. Most predictions have it staying pretty weak but, well, they said much the same thing about Maria...
Louisiana is slightly more functional than Puerto Rico, and borders states that are actually functional (not Mississippi) so they will probably do alright.

JeffersonClay posted:

Not at all, anarchism was totally my jam when I was fourteen.
Young JeffersonClay was so cool. What happened to him?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Crabtree posted:

I'm beginning to see similarities between gun owners and people who play video games

Go to TFR and replace every mention of guns with anime

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/916033405233565697

:filez:

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
So uh, since gun chat is still going can someone explain to this silly foreigner, why the whole "well regulated militia" is ignored? Or what it actually means? Because I never see it brought up in gun debates.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tarantula posted:

So uh, since gun chat is still going can someone explain to this silly foreigner, why the whole "well regulated militia" is ignored? Or what it actually means? Because I never see it brought up in gun debates.

There is literally no good answer to your question.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is literally no good answer to your question.

But I don't even see gun control advocates bring it up, it seems like a glaring issue, which if addressed could maybe lead to positive change?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarantula posted:

Don't ask questions you do not want answers to.

Pages and pages of answers. Each more different and pedantic as the last.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fun fact, on my AT&T Galaxy S5, Uber is installed by default and can't be uninstalled!
Wooooo rip my privacy

(Though I'm using android so my privacy was never there to begin with :v:)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tarantula posted:

American law tends to be stand pretty closely by the letter of the law than the spirit (which is both good and bad), and it's difficult to pin down what constitutes a militia exactly, let alone what regulation would be considered well-regulated.

By comparison, the right to bear arms is pretty easy to interpret and define; it's the right of the citizen to wield weapons.

E: That's not to say that the Well Regulated Militia aspect could not be challenged and presented to the courts, but there's no guarantee which way the gavel would swing and the reprecussions would be tremendous.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 5, 2017

Skyweir
Apr 29, 2013
I really do not understand Americans.

They already did this experiment for you guys. They took a smaller, but very comparable nation with a very similar cultural background and a great love for guns in general, and they banned all guns.

The results were excellent, you could hardly ask for a more conclusive proof that banning guns will reduce gun violence and suicide by guns by a large amount.

You would be hard pressed to design a better test case, it is even close to the perfect sample size.

Given these evidence, it is hard to argue that every year nothing is done about this thousands of lives are sacrificed needlessly.

It is also weird for me personally to see how little focus there is on suicide by gun. Most suicidal thoughts are overcome if the person suffering from them is kept from acting on them for a short amount of time.
Most suicides are impulsive actions of a person who is temporarily mentally ill. Restricting access to the easiest and most efficient way to kill yourself in society has a huge impact on successful suicide numbers.
Somehow there is a myth that people that commit suicide will always succeed in the end, but of course this is completely wrong. People that fail at a suicide attempt are often saved and overcome their suicidal thoughts, and people will often get through their depression if given time.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Tarantula posted:

But I don't even see gun control advocates bring it up, it seems like a glaring issue, which if addressed could maybe lead to positive change?

It comes up in every gun control debate?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's an explanatory clause that in no way restricts the nature of the individual right articulated in the subsequent clause. This has been subject to extensive legal, historical, and grammatical analysis and is wholly uncontroversial outside of internet smuglords going for idiotic "well you aren't in a regulated militia" one liners, and some of the stupider members of congress.

The framers of the constitution expected that private individuals would be able to own warships and cannon, (although they did not guarantee a right to them,) likely on the basis that anyone who could afford such things was the Right Sort of Person. One does not grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal to a government navy, after all.

That's cute, but that's not close to the argument you were making. You were making an "It's clear that they meant X" argument about the second amendment, a set of words that has been argued about for over 2 centuries by many many people much smarter than any of us, and tried to argue the merits of your side very ineffectually by pointing to text (that wasn't actually what the original text was) and saying it means what you think it means and that's why you're right. I'm not not talking about interpretations or whatever the gently caress you wanna yell at someone about. You made a lovely dumb intellectually dishonest argument and now you're trying to move the goalposts like a good right winger. gently caress off and come back when you have something worthwhile to say.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GOP ideology is predicated upon creating as harshly an anti-social existence as possible. Whether it's fear of getting shot by your neighbor or someone with more grandiose visions of mass murder, or struggling to make ends meet without the power of a labor union to back you up when it comes down to brass tacks, it is by design that the vast majority of people are crushed by their pursuit of survival in order to prevent them from inflicting any manner of consequence upon the oligarchs that run this country.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Spaced God posted:

Fun fact, on my AT&T Galaxy S5, Uber is installed by default and can't be uninstalled!
Wooooo rip my privacy

(Though I'm using android so my privacy was never there to begin with :v:)
Article doesn't even mention Android phones being affected anyway.

Skyweir posted:

It is also weird for me personally to see how little focus there is on suicide by gun. Most suicidal thoughts are overcome if the person suffering from them is kept from acting on them for a short amount of time.
Most suicides are impulsive actions of a person who is temporarily mentally ill. Restricting access to the easiest and most efficient way to kill yourself in society has a huge impact on successful suicide numbers.
Somehow there is a myth that people that commit suicide will always succeed in the end, but of course this is completely wrong. People that fail at a suicide attempt are often saved and overcome their suicidal thoughts, and people will often get through their depression if given time.
Yeah if only we weren't explicitly prevented from doing federal research on these kinds of things, I wonder why that is :iiam:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/916070020773421056

For those who don't remember this is the same DA who declined to press charges against the Trump kids for fraud.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Skyweir posted:

They already did this experiment for you guys. They took a smaller, but very comparable nation with a very similar cultural background and a great love for guns in general, and they banned all guns.

The results were excellent, you could hardly ask for a more conclusive proof that banning guns will reduce gun violence and suicide by guns by a large amount.

You would be hard pressed to design a better test case, it is even close to the perfect sample size.

Given these evidence, it is hard to argue that every year nothing is done about this thousands of lives are sacrificed needlessly.

There's been a lot of money spent tying guns to nationalism and masculinity.

It's been very successful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trust the gun.

Obey the gun.

The gun is right.

The gun is just.

The gun is law.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Repeal 2nd Amendment.

Ban all handguns and revolvers from civilian ownership.

Legal long guns for hunting or target shooting:

Rifles: Break or bolt action only. Single shot. No external or internal magazines. No magazine ports on the gun at all (to avoid the "oh I prooooooomise to only use single capacity mags~" horseshit).

Shotguns: Break, bolt, or pump. Tube Magazines only, maximum capacity 4 shells. Hard cap on 4 shells. None of this "filling up the extra space with a rod that I'm totally not going to remove".

Total ban on the AR platform. No "converted" """"single shot"""" ARs.

Gun owners must belong to a shooting club/range/lodge or Hunting organisation to own a rifle. Rifle and Ammunition must be kept at organization until being used on site or at hunting grounds.

Shotguns can be kept in the home.

All long guns must be at a minimum 26 inches long. No telescoping, folding, quick draw, or easily adjusted stocks allowed for civilian use. Stocks that allow for adjusting the length of pull by adding spacers that are mechanically held in place which require disassembly to remove are allowed.

gently caress your murder sport.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tarantula posted:

But I don't even see gun control advocates bring it up
It's been brought up like 10 times in the last 3 pages.

The answer to your question is that as far as US constitutional law is concerned it either means nothing at all or that we can't have sawed-off shotguns. Depending on how the court is feeling on any given day.

Further proof that Vermont is the best.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JohnLockesKnife/status/916013990421172225

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

tweet removed

Karma is a hell of a bitch sometimes.

Edit: This is from 2014. I'm leaving it here because others have already quoted but this is an old article.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Not enough. I hope he gets TB.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Such is the price for getting away with murder.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Is it me or did his face shrink?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Office Pig posted:

Is it me or did his face shrink?

Hes getting fatter.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

quote:

"Honestly, I [would] love to live a calm life without being in the press. I’d like [to be treated like] any American citizen — have a ticket ... or an argument ... [and] not have everyone aware," he said. "But that ... that's my life and I do not understand why that is, but I'm living my life as I have always lived, " he said.

Gee, I wonder...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mustached Demon posted:

Such is the price for murdering an unarmed child and being given $433,000 for it.

Fixed that for you.

edit: Found a more recent figure.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 6, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Skyweir posted:

Don't assume we are civilized.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Just an FYI, the linked article is not exactly hot of the presses (February, 2014).

E: Quoted the wrong poster.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tarantula posted:

The court has spoken on this in, of course, a controversial 5-4 decision.

The amendment is so badly written that its not clear which side is correct. On the right (the side the court endorsed), a "militia" at the time the document was written, was every able-bodied man who owns a gun in the community, which is something you need at that old time if the town needs to round up a posse to defend the town, go after native americans, hang a horse thief, or whatever. There is some limited support for this, but its not definitive. If you accept this definition, then the militia clause is merely an explanation that has no legal meaning. We don't usually have those in our laws or amendments, we normally want every word to be legally important.

The left rejects that definition and insists on the modern one (especially since "well regulated" is in the amendment), where a militia is some kind of uniformed military-like unit with a chain of command. If this is correct, then the amendment only guarantees a collective right where each state is allowed to organize their own little military units (aka the national guard).

No matter which side is correct or which side you believe in, we all agree that the 2nd amendment is the most loving terribly-written and confusing thing in the entire constitution. Every year schoolchildren learning about the constitution look up at their teacher and go "what the gently caress is this?" when they get to #2

Rigel fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 6, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rigel posted:

The court has spoken on this in, of course, a controversial 5-4 decision.

The amendment is so badly written that its not clear which side is correct. On the right (the side the court endorsed), a "militia" at the time the document was written, was every able-bodied man who owns a gun in the community, which is something you need at that old time if the town needs to round up a posse to defend the town, go after native americans, hang a horse thief, or whatever. There is some limited support for this, but its not definitive. If you accept this definition, then the militia clause is merely an explanation that has no legal meaning. We don't usually have those in our laws or amendments, we normally want every word to be legally important.

The left rejects that definition and insists on the modern one (especially since "well regulated" is in the amendment), where a militia is some kind of uniformed military-like unit with a chain of command. If this is correct, then the amendment only guarantees a collective right where each state is allowed to organize their own little military units (aka the national guard).

No matter which side is correct or which side you believe in, we all agree that the 2nd amendment is the most loving terribly-written and confusing thing in the entire constitution. Every year schoolchildren learning about the constitution look up at their teacher and go "what the gently caress is this?" when they get to #2

Nah, the Third Amendment is more of a shitshow.

1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th are all headliners.

The third is this random rear end poo poo.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Xae posted:

Nah, the Third Amendment is more of a shitshow.

1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th are all headliners.

The third is this random rear end poo poo.

3rd amendment is not really confusing, though. Its useless, but we're not confused about its meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Falstaff posted:

Just an FYI, the linked article is not exactly hot of the presses (February, 2014).

E: Quoted the wrong poster.

Yup. gently caress. I saw the tweet date and didn't see the article date. My bad on that.

• Locked thread