Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Just for the record, here's something on the track record for the legal team at Epic:

quote:

In 2007, Canadian game studio Silicon Knights sued Epic Games for failure to "provide a working game engine", causing the Ontario-based game developer to "experience considerable losses." The suit alleged that Epic Games was "sabotaging" Unreal Engine 3 licensees. Epic's licensing document stated that a working version of the engine would be available within six months of the Xbox 360 developer kits being released. Silicon Knights claimed that Epic not only missed this deadline, but that when a working version of the engine was eventually released, the documentation was insufficient. The game studio also claimed Epic had withheld vital improvements to the game engine, claiming they were "game specific", while also using licensing fees to fund development of its own titles rather than the engine itself.[43]

On August 9, 2007, Epic Games counter-sued Silicon Knights, claiming that it developed its own engine by using Unreal Engine 3 technology.[44] On May 30, 2012, Epic Games defeated Silicon Knights' lawsuit, and won its counter-suit for $4.45 million on grounds of copyright infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of contract.[45] Consistent with Epic's counterclaims, the presiding judge stated that Silicon Knights had "deliberately and repeatedly copied thousands of lines of Epic Games' copyrighted code, and then attempted to conceal its wrongdoing by removing Epic Games' copyright notices and by disguising Epic Games' copyrighted code as Silicon Knights' own."[46]

As a result, on November 7, 2012, Silicon Knights was directed by the court to destroy all game code derived from Unreal Engine 3, all information from licensee-restricted areas of Epic's Unreal Engine documentation website, and to permit Epic Games access to the company's servers and other devices to ensure these items have been removed. In addition, the studio was instructed to recall and destroy all unsold retail copies of games built with Unreal Engine 3 code, including Too Human, X-Men Destiny, The Sandman, The Box/Ritualyst, and Siren in the Maelstrom (the latter three titles were projects never released, or even officially announced).[47]

On May 16, 2014, following the loss of the court case, Silicon Knights filed for bankruptcy and a Certificate of Appointment was issued by the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy, with Collins Barrow Toronto Limited being appointed as Trustee in Bankruptcy.[48]

Vs track record for Bluehole:

quote:

In 2007, NCsoft filed a complaint to South Korean gosu gamer authorities and brought a civil action for damages and an injunction to Bluehole Studio. The Bluehole Studio founders and employees, formerly employed under NCsoft and working on the Lineage III development team, were convicted by a Korean criminal court for the theft of valuable trade secrets from NCsoft in 2009. In 2010, a Korean civil court held these individuals, along with Bluehole Studio, liable for misappropriation of trade secrets, awarding NCsoft about $2 million in damages and issuing an injunction against utilizing trade secrets for monetary gain. The damages were later reversed by an appellate court, but the injunction remained in place. Despite the injunction, Bluehole Studio developed and released TERA in South Korea.

On January 9, 2012, NCsoft filed a civil action in the United States against Bluehole Studio and its U.S. subsidiary En Masse. NCsoft was seeking a preliminary and permanent injunction prohibiting the launch of TERA in the United States, or damages for the substantial harm that the launch would cause NCsoft. They asserted claims for copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation, breach of confidence, unfair competition, and unjust enrichment under the laws of the state of New York.

On April 18, 2012, En Masse Entertainment announced they were found not guilty in the Korean civil actions.[20] However, three employees were found guilty.

Amazingly, the time frames are basically identical. Which company do you think has a better understanding of the contracts they've actually agreed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

FWIW Epic is pretty much owned by Tencent now. Tencent is a gigantic company with no compunction against flexing legal muscles.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm streaming some FPP solos here. Haven't played in a while but I want to get back into the groove for when the leaderboards reset, come hang :)

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Less fighting about stupid poo poo, more winning games in silly ways. Did this a few days ago, my favorite #1 win so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sO3KV5aIs

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

mostly your flippancy. i figured that would have been clear based on context.

Shut up nerd

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Parallel Playa posted:

I'm streaming some FPP solos here. Haven't played in a while but I want to get back into the groove for when the leaderboards reset, come hang :)

I was going to say who cares but it's a crossbow only match and it's fun to watch!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Holy lmao wasn't TERA the game that literally had that gross "she may look nine but she's actually a million year old dragon so the costumes are appropriate" character?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yes, it was.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Premature posted:

I'm also pretty new to the game playing on OCE, we (and any other Oceanic goons) should team up and shred pubbies.

We should. Post yr steam name and I'll add you when I get a chance? I would post mine, but it's something really long and dumb and I can't remember how to spell it properly.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I want a VSS buff. I really want it to be my short range murder device.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Cathab posted:

We should. Post yr steam name and I'll add you when I get a chance? I would post mine, but it's something really long and dumb and I can't remember how to spell it properly.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/prematureejaculame

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

woo 2 chicken dinners tonight, just in time for the reset. Nothing like saving the guy who was fighting the third place finisher to add some extra pressure to the final two. Luckily later when someone saved me from the third place finisher, they ended up choking :getin:

Tweak fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 6, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Have the Pubg guys ever mentioned if they wanted to have grass render at longer distances? until the circle closes in enough that the grass always renders your always at risk of someone seeing you laying prone in plain sight and sniping you.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

Holy lmao wasn't TERA the game that literally had that gross "she may look nine but she's actually a million year old dragon so the costumes are appropriate" character?

I thought this was Fire Emblem: Awakening? :confused:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Have the Pubg guys ever mentioned if they wanted to have grass render at longer distances? until the circle closes in enough that the grass always renders your always at risk of someone seeing you laying prone in plain sight and sniping you.

WTF this is bullshit I can't run this on a dual core with my gtx 550 what is console command to disable grass

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Don't lay prone

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The only time laying prone seems to be helpful is when I'm hiding at the top of some of the stairs so the person climbing them doesn't spot me before I shoot them in the back.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
A recent win:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/180049873

I still think we should have taken the car :colbert:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Regrettable posted:

The only time laying prone seems to be helpful is when I'm hiding at the top of some of the stairs so the person climbing them doesn't spot me before I shoot them in the back.

Or if you know the other person is within like 50 meters

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Mauser posted:

A recent win:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/180049873

I still think we should have taken the car :colbert:

I had a similar win last night, the last guy just didnt manage to make the circle in time and the game ended with me asking what the gently caress happened. Not the worst way to get some dinner i guess!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Which company do you think has a better understanding of the contracts they've actually agreed to?
Did you read what you posted? Also there's more to the Bluehole thing that doesn't really have much to do with Bluehole itself, a bunch of folks left NCsoft and tried to get new jobs at a Japanese developer with whom they left portfolios of work to review, which is where the convictions came from. The rest is "guys who work on MMOs get new job working on MMOs" and NCsoft not wanting competition.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just for the record, here's something on the track record for the legal team at Epic:

quote:

Consistent with Epic's counterclaims, the presiding judge stated that Silicon Knights had "deliberately and repeatedly copied thousands of lines of Epic Games' copyrighted code, and then attempted to conceal its wrongdoing by removing Epic Games' copyright notices and by disguising Epic Games' copyrighted code as Silicon Knights' own."
This is the important bit, they lost because after they complained about Epic failing to hold up their end of the bargain they stopped paying royalties and the inhouse engine they claimed to be switching to was apparently cobbled together from UE3.

And Epic's was a two parter in which someone was sued for stealing code while suing epic for failing to provide, which they only got off on because the license had a line that said there was no guarantee that the engine would be fit for purpose, and the judge said that oral guarantees are invalid, and that "promissory representations" don't constitute fraud. So if you were to license the engine on the basis of them demonstrating features that they didn't really have yet and then they lie to your face about what it can and will be able to do and they don't give you it when they said they would you're poo poo out of luck.

The only real legal issue/claim bluehole could make is misappropriation of trade secrets because they don't want to help the competition? But I imagine that their contracts/licenses have a big "If we're working with you to solve some problems we can use anything we learn about how you're trying to deal with things to improve the product as a whole instead of sitting on optimisations and features"-clause.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I understand why people are saying high ping is better than low ping. Low ping should still have the advantage but I guess different pings are affecting hit detection. When I play on NA servers my hit detection is awful. When I play on AS servers the same shots I missed on NA are hitting. What is the best explanation for this? I welcome serious guesses and opinions on this one.

Are the people I can't hit people with high ping? Is it less of a problem at higher ratings because you are most likely playing with people in your own region?
Is this even a thing? Is it all just confirmation bias?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lohli posted:

But I imagine that their contracts/licenses have a big "If we're working with you to solve some problems we can use anything we learn about how you're trying to deal with things to improve the product as a whole instead of sitting on optimisations and features"-clause.

Somehow I have a feeling that's either not present or not enforced with PUBG

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

It'd be cool if they implemented the thing Arma does. Grass doesn't render there very far either. To get around that problem, after a certain distance lying prone will partially melt you into the terrain to simulate hiding in the grass. Makes you much harder to see, and if you have the right angle and a far enough distance you can disappear into the ground entirely.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

cosmicjim posted:

I understand why people are saying high ping is better than low ping. Low ping should still have the advantage but I guess different pings are affecting hit detection. When I play on NA servers my hit detection is awful. When I play on AS servers the same shots I missed on NA are hitting. What is the best explanation for this? I welcome serious guesses and opinions on this one.

Are the people I can't hit people with high ping? Is it less of a problem at higher ratings because you are most likely playing with people in your own region?
Is this even a thing? Is it all just confirmation bias?

Go to YouTube and watch a Battle nonsense video, he lays it down pretty well

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Not a fan of this double vision when near the blue zone wall.
I'm inside the zone, shooting at a group of two (one is behind the double vision on the left) when my scope twitched left for a split second and then was rendered useless. Why is this a thing?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

WirelessPillow posted:

Not a fan of this double vision when near the blue zone wall.
I'm inside the zone, shooting at a group of two (one is behind the double vision on the left) when my scope twitched left for a split second and then was rendered useless. Why is this a thing?

I've run into that as well, it's very infuriating!

I really did not like H1Z1 KOTK but one thing I did like about the game was the blue zone/wall was a gas and it got denser the deeper you went into it. This blue zone that flickers makes it hard to aim in and out of it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

FiftySeven posted:

I had a similar win last night, the last guy just didnt manage to make the circle in time and the game ended with me asking what the gently caress happened. Not the worst way to get some dinner i guess!

It's not my first win to the blue, but it's always a little disappointing not getting those final kills. In another 2 v 1 finish with my buddy, we had the guy trapped in a wizard hut, with me flanking behind and my buddy sitting in the new circle. Guy gets out of the tower and hops and dances and runs around behind when we start shooting him, then he just runs back inside and lets the blue kill him :(

I'd rather go down shooting every time. I manged to get a kill against a duo because I knocked the guy that had a primed grenade and he blew himself and his teammate up despite me getting riddled with bullets from the other. Always go down shooting!

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

It'd be cool if they implemented the thing Arma does. Grass doesn't render there very far either. To get around that problem, after a certain distance lying prone will partially melt you into the terrain to simulate hiding in the grass. Makes you much harder to see, and if you have the right angle and a far enough distance you can disappear into the ground entirely.

This is basically my only problem with this game. People bitching about balance? Tossers! This game is balanced just fine and the optimization will come but I need me some game mechanic fixes like this prone stealth thing. And better weather. And stop the drat crates from falling through the map.

So I am getting to point where I can land at places like School and Pochinki and Firing Range and survive and kill like three people and make it to midgame. I have had a couple times in the end game where I've just died in blue from misjudging timing and forgetting to heal instead of racing the health bar (oops!). Any end game strategies yall are finding work well?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

When I get to mid game, one habit has helped me out the most: don't shoot everyone you see, at least not right away. Stalk them for a while, see if they're after someone else or someone else is after them. Wait for them to go in a building and creep up and catch them on the stairs, etc.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you hear a gunfight, get an angle on it and wait until the winner goes to loot the loser. Then shoot the winner while they're distracted. Then hope there wasn't someone else watching and waiting to shoot you.

This is probably going to get argued against by people better than me, but once the circle starts to get really small don't chase gunfire. Let everybody waste their ammo, medkits, and grenades on each other unless you're really desperate.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
If we still lived in the era of Quake 1/2/3 mods and poo poo, this game would live there very comfortably. It is a super fun game mode, the technical quality is slightly lacking but you accept the jank because it is a loving mod.

If Bluehole were smart, they'd have taken their game with all of its loving sales and cashed it out to a bigger developer that could give them technical support and legal shelter from motherfuckers appropriating "your" game mode.

Team Fortress did it, Counterstrike did it, PUBG will probably go down as "first to make a real fun BR game mode, but lack of technical chops meant that we will get better by a more refined version and be relegated to the dustbin of history"

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the idea that 'battle royale' is somehow pubg's game mode is so bizarre to me. people were playing this exact same poo poo years ago.

like, they certainly got the most success doing it, but i don't really think that's how it works.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

osker posted:

If we still lived in the era of Quake 1/2/3 mods and poo poo, this game would live there very comfortably. It is a super fun game mode, the technical quality is slightly lacking but you accept the jank because it is a loving mod.

If Bluehole were smart, they'd have taken their game with all of its loving sales and cashed it out to a bigger developer that could give them technical support and legal shelter from motherfuckers appropriating "your" game mode.

Team Fortress did it, Counterstrike did it, PUBG will probably go down as "first to make a real fun BR game mode, but lack of technical chops meant that we will get better by a more refined version and be relegated to the dustbin of history"

That's a pretty fair take on it. It reminds me a lot of Q2 stuff, partly because of the overall jank and partially because FPP provides that old school dialup experience.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

osker posted:

arent they kinda doing this rn though? a little late sure but isn't that the whole point of forming pubg corp, to aggressively legitimize them as *the* BR company and game

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tokubetsu posted:

arent they kinda doing this rn though? a little late sure but isn't that the whole point of forming pubg corp, to aggressively legitimize them as *the* BR company and game

cool how it's basically Battle Royale: the movie: the game and now they're gonna try claiming usage rights on it like slide-to-unlock.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Tokubetsu posted:

*the* BR company and game

stop i'm dying here

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

this isn't what that says.

like, don't get me wrong, i'm sure playerunknown would love to somehow become credited for an original idea that he just stole from a movie, but this isn't what that says.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this isn't what that says.

"business ventures" is pretty broad sure but i don't see how that doesn't lead to them at least trying to push the brand and ip???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
they're trying to push pubg as an esport and a concept, yeah. that's not what you said.

• Locked thread