Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seth MacFarlane is climbing the mountain, why is he climbing the mountain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Christina Applegate should've been the Captain.

I would accept that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seth MacFarlane is climbing the mountain, why is he climbing the mountain?

Because it's there :smug:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh I kind of don't want to have to sign up for CBS's stupid streaming service but how will I be able to complain about Star Trek on the internet if I don't??

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ugh I kind of don't want to have to sign up for CBS's stupid streaming service but how will I be able to complain about Star Trek on the internet if I don't??

Just do what every Canadian does?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I would accept that.

And Dave Faustino should've been Number One.

And Ed O'Neil could be the Admiral.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Monkey Fracas posted:

Scour youtube for trailers and clips. Stitch them together and you should be able to get the gist of the episode.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
They have 30th Anniversary TNG $5 scratch-off lotto tickets now. Kinda odd they didn't tie it into their brand new series. They're pretty shiny but they don't have any cool bonus boxes or anything, just a normal match a number ticket.

(I won broke even off one.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought it was considered dangerous to warp while inside a star system.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The defiant did a micro warp jump in the Bajoran system to stop changeling Bashir from nuking the sun. Everyone involved thought it was suicidal.

Honestly given the number of times we've seen going to warp in-system I'd say the "omg we're risking going to warp inside a star system!! :supaburn:" scenes are the outliers. There's multiple times in TNG alone where it's treated as totally routine and unremarkable.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thylacine posted:

They have 30th Anniversary TNG $5 scratch-off lotto tickets now. Kinda odd they didn't tie it into their brand new series. They're pretty shiny but they don't have any cool bonus boxes or anything, just a normal match a number ticket.

CBS and Paramount have no loving idea how to market or merchandise Star Trek, to the point where they basically gave up trying to do any kind of toys or poo poo for the new movies. I think the closest they ever get is a couple of bullshit tie-in comic books, because comic books make so much money right???

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

CBS and Paramount have no loving idea how to market or merchandise Star Trek, to the point where they basically gave up trying to do any kind of toys or poo poo for the new movies. I think the closest they ever get is a couple of bullshit tie-in comic books, because comic books make so much money right???

Well, has anyone really ever wanted to buy Star Trek toys? I mean Star Trek fandom meant you were the lowest on the social ladders when I was growing up (I did have a TNG tricorder and phaser, that I kept very hidden).

Not like Star Trek has ever been known for action either, which is a big selling point when it comes to toys for kids.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Honestly given the number of times we've seen going to warp in-system I'd say the "omg we're risking going to warp inside a star system!! :supaburn:" scenes are the outliers. There's multiple times in TNG alone where it's treated as totally routine and unremarkable.

I've always just thought of it as a writing inconsistency. It's never seemed necessary to go full grognard on this one and come up with a plausible in-universe explanation. When it's dangerous, the characters will let us know, and the "why" isn't particularly important.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

thylacine posted:

holy poo poo

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

"All the cools kids are into pins now, right?" -A CBS exec, probably

http://www.startrek.com/article/introducing-the-discovery-episode-pin-set

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That Sarek Pin is pretty cool though.

He looks like an Eldar Farseer almost, so you could use him in your Warhams.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I didn't think they were making any more Mass Effects

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, has anyone really ever wanted to buy Star Trek toys? I mean Star Trek fandom meant you were the lowest on the social ladders when I was growing up (I did have a TNG tricorder and phaser, that I kept very hidden).

Not like Star Trek has ever been known for action either, which is a big selling point when it comes to toys for kids.

I've been a fan of Star Trek since I was like 4 years old when TNG came out and the only Star Trek toy I ever bothered to own was a Micro Machines set of a bunch of miniature ships. They didn't see a lot of use.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Needs an enameled pin of the Spock Helmet but one redesigned in the STD style where the helmet is always seen at an angle, has zippers on it and senses death rather than protects the skull from impact.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Iron Crowned posted:

They used to sell enough that they bothered to make a shitload of action figures and toys and video game tie-ins and tech manuals and poo poo back in the 90s. Hallmark's been doing Trek-themed electronic Christmas ornaments for decades, I think by now they've got enough out you could do a small Christmas tree in nothing but Hallmark Trek ornaments now (including Spock's excruciating death by radiation scene :wtc:)

As for action, hell they made two FPS games based on Voyager called Elite Force that invented a whole team of super-buff Quake dudes toting photon launchers and anti-borg weapons and gatling phasers and poo poo. Trek2009/STID/Beyond would seem to be even more suited to loving action (oh wait they tried a shooter for 09 but it was a huge buggy piece of poo poo lol) so I have no idea why the new movies wouldn't be swimming in pew-pew merch.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Hallmark's been doing Trek-themed electronic Christmas ornaments for decades, I think by now they've got enough out you could do a small Christmas tree in nothing but Hallmark Trek ornaments now (including Spock's excruciating death by radiation scene :wtc:)

My mom had been collecting those since I was a small child and eventually stopped putting them up so I took them. Our entire tree is covered in Star Trek ornaments, they're tacky as hell and I love it. I don't know why my wife went along with this.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

we get boat we get go posted:

In my life I've described a lot of things as "a love note" to something, but jesus gently caress watching the Orville is like watching Seth MacFarlane take Star Trek out to a mountain resort, lay it down by the fire and gently gently caress it for hours before making it breakfast in the morning.

Yes, this. The orville is pretty great. I don't hate Discovery, but traveling by way of magic mushroom is pretty dumb in my opinion. Biology as physics indeed. The veins and muscles of the universe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shuttle craft to Enterprise, shuttle craft to Enterprise. This is Spock. Merry Christmas. Live long and prosper.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

They used to sell enough that they bothered to make a shitload of action figures and toys and video game tie-ins and tech manuals and poo poo back in the 90s. Hallmark's been doing Trek-themed electronic Christmas ornaments for decades, I think by now they've got enough out you could do a small Christmas tree in nothing but Hallmark Trek ornaments now (including Spock's excruciating death by radiation scene :wtc:)

I'm not sure that they used to sell enough to make a shitload of action figures. A lot of action figures are made in an attempt to cash in on something and never really take off. I got some TNG ones for Christmas one year, and I was less than thrilled. I will admit that part of my lack of enthusiasm was probably due to being in middle school and trying to be cool, but also what kind of adventures would I really take Q and Data on? Not to mention the quality wasn't great, it was around 1992 cash in quality and toys weren't very detailed.

I will partially cede your point on the Hallmark ornaments, but those aren't getting a lot of use outside of the Christmas season, and they're not designed to be played with.

As for action, hell they made two FPS games based on Voyager called Elite Force that invented a whole team of super-buff Quake dudes toting photon launchers and anti-borg weapons and gatling phasers and poo poo.

Counterpoint: Voyager

Trek2009/STID/Beyond would seem to be even more suited to loving action (oh wait they tried a shooter for 09 but it was a huge buggy piece of poo poo lol) so I have no idea why the new movies wouldn't be swimming in pew-pew merch.

I can't really talk about JJTrek, because I'm probably a bit too old to wanna fly space ships around my living room now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Shuttle craft to Enterprise, shuttle craft to Enterprise. This is Spock. Merry Christmas. Live long and prosper.

My parents have that one, of course they insist on using only blinking lights, so it can't really relay it's message.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh wow, flashback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mavk3fUZzZo

naem
May 29, 2011

we get boat we get go posted:

In my life I've described a lot of things as "a love note" to something, but jesus gently caress watching the Orville is like watching Seth MacFarlane take Star Trek out to a mountain resort, lay it down by the fire and gently gently caress it for hours before making it breakfast in the morning.

This is the best thing I have ever read

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

"I'll take 5!"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Iron Crowned posted:

Counterpoint: Voyager

EF2 was only Voyager for the first mission, and then Enterprise-E after that.

Actually a really good game, nothing like blasting dudes with the BFG/Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Gul Dumbcrap

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The hip joints on Star Trek toys were the absolute loving worst. Should've given the license to Mattel instead so they could use the GI Joe figs like Capcom did with Street Fighter.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sorry, that figurine is not nearly sexy enough to represent Gul Dukat.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

That image is super triggering because Gul Dukat would never trample on the symbol of Cardassia like that. He's a hero and this Bajoran propaganda will not be tolerated!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Growing up a poor nerd in the 90s made those playmates toys the coolest poo poo ever

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ah so just like there's an evil goatee dimension there also exists a RuPaul Dimension

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't really talk about JJTrek, because I'm probably a bit too old to wanna fly space ships around my living room now.

I remember doing this too and it is one of the great tragedies of adulthood that this no longer enthralls me.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Doggles posted:

"All the cools kids are into pins now, right?" -A CBS exec, probably

http://www.startrek.com/article/introducing-the-discovery-episode-pin-set

This reminds me, Battle at the Binary Stars is a really terrible name for a battle. Aren't binary systems a big bulk of solar systems as a percentage?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I remember doing this too and it is one of the great tragedies of adulthood that this no longer enthralls me.

What kind we're they though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I love that the android on the Orville is obviously just a guy in a shiny silver jumpsuit. You can clearly see the 'metal' fabric bunching up around his joints as he walks. Oldschool as heck.