Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Rabid Snake posted:

Glad you didn't get a 8700k to flip then

So if Microcenter makes it up to $500 it's fine, but if I price match it, buy one from them and mark it up to $500, that's bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yes

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I guess capitalism sucks then.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

So if Microcenter makes it up to $500 it's fine, but if I price match it, buy one from them and mark it up to $500, that's bad?

Are you stupid? Of course its bad. Are you going to let the person who buys it price match?

This isn't capitalism it's just scalping. Its just as bad as people who do it with limited edition shoes. Let it go to people who are actually going to use the item.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 6, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

Are you that stupid? Of course its bad. Are you going to let the person who buys it price match?

This isn't capitalism it's just scalping. Its just as bad as people who do it with limited edition shoes. Let it go to people who are actually going to use the item.

*plugs ears while screaming SUPPLY AND DEMAND! SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!*

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
this is the dumbest slap-fight

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Call them and get it resolved. Your CC probably declined it.

It was successfully charged, both per NewEgg and my credit card, a day before I even checked...

It's all good now, but I am very much not impressed with their communication.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 6, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dud root posted:

No 6700k in any of the review comparisons :effort:

Yeah I noticed this too but I think the 6700K is only about 5% slower than the 7700K at stock speeds (if that)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You've been able to get to ~5Ghz for a long time too with Skylake and Kabylake too, especially if you were willing to delid and/or deal with crazy temps.

The big thing here to me is 6 cores for less money from Intel which is nice. Worthwhile to upgrade to if you have Sandybridge still but not really a game changer if you got a Haswell or newer chip since per core/clock performance didn't really change at all.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

this is the dumbest slap-fight

thanks caller, appreciate your input.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You've been able to get to ~5Ghz for a long time too with Skylake and Kabylake too, especially if you were willing to delid and/or deal with crazy temps.

The big thing here to me is 6 cores for less money from Intel which is nice. Worthwhile to upgrade to if you have Sandybridge still but not really a game changer if you got a Haswell or newer chip since per core/clock performance didn't really change at all.

I want to delid my Skylake once I get my hands on a 8700k. I don't want to be screwed without a PC if I boink the operation. My temps are already high for a 6700k only overclocked to 4.5. It hits 80-90C no matter which heatsink I put on it. I'm sure a delid will drop the temperatures by a lot

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 6, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I guess capitalism sucks then.

yes

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Looks like some Microcenters still have 8700s in stock. Orange County, Denver, Detroit and Twin Cities.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm getting massive GCN 1.0 vs Kepler vibes again, where AMD stuff people actually buy in any meaningful quantity would be steadily pushed back to the $200 and below mark. I for one won't hesitate to take a $300 8700NK over a $200 1700 non-X.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Jesus, guy drove 11 hours to get a loving 8700k

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/74k8af/i_got_one_an_11_hour_road_trip_and_how_not_all/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Palladium posted:

I'm getting massive GCN 1.0 vs Kepler vibes again
Why? CFL is Kabylake/Skylake IPC with 2x extra cores and, in practical terms, 200-300Mhz more OC potential without dealing with ~90C temps or a delid. There is a performance advantage there but its not all that big for most things that people care about (ie. gamez & internets) here or anywhere.

More people are price sensitive than performance needy right now and ~$210 for a AMD R5 1600 is a drat good value buy against a ~$300 i7 8700, especially given the price of a good GPU + monitor where you're dollar is going to go farther anyways in terms of PC experience.

In terms of OEM sales and servers that performance vs cost bang for your buck factor is still going to matter a heck of a lot and AMD is going to continue to increase marketshare there without even getting their APU's out yet for the notebook market which will help their revenues lots. Yeah they'll have had to drop their ASP's a bit more I bet with current chips to keep momentum on sales but they're still going to be doing clearly heaps better than they were with the BD based chips so your vibes seem off to say the least to me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

8700K looks like (nearly) a no-compromise upgrade for i7 920. TIM is bad but what can you do, use an old rear end cpu forever? I was a bit late with ordering so I have to wait for the cpu for an unknown amount of time.

Single or dual rank memory? 4x8 or 2x16? 3200mhz cl14 g.skill or something slower/faster? Dunno about what kind of memory would be good on Intel platforms.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Why? CFL is Kabylake/Skylake IPC with 2x extra cores and, in practical terms, 200-300Mhz more OC potential without dealing with ~90C temps or a delid. There is a performance advantage there but its not all that big for most things that people care about (ie. gamez & internets) here or anywhere.

More people are price sensitive than performance needy right now and ~$210 for a AMD R5 1600 is a drat good value buy against a ~$300 i7 8700, especially given the price of a good GPU + monitor where you're dollar is going to go farther anyways in terms of PC experience.

These would all be good points, except the 8400 exists at $189. It basically makes the entire R5 lineup a bad-buy at their current prices, and essentially makes the consumer computer recommendation a two-tier discussion: Are you building a PC and want to spend a normal amount? Buy a 8400. Are you a money bags? Consider an 8700NK or K... or just get an 8400.

It's probably the most disruptive CPU from a value perspective in a while.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ihmemies posted:

8700K looks like (nearly) a no-compromise upgrade for i7 920. TIM is bad but what can you do, use an old rear end cpu forever? I was a bit late with ordering so I have to wait for the cpu for an unknown amount of time.

Single or dual rank memory? 4x8 or 2x16? 3200mhz cl14 g.skill or something slower/faster? Dunno about what kind of memory would be good on Intel platforms.

Of course it is, that is a 45nm processor released 9 years ago

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Unless my 2500K rig goes kaput or a game I want to play comes out that simply won't run on it at all (meaning the game requires more that four cores/threads) I'm not upgrading yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
[quote="“spasticColon”" post="“477103705”"]
Unless my 2500K rig goes kaput or a game I want to play comes out that simply won’t run on it at all (meaning the game requires more that four cores/threads) I’m not upgrading yet.
[/quote]

:same:

I think I will build a low(ish) power consumption NAS box instead, actually kind of thinking about one of the AMD 4 cores.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

These would all be good points, except the 8400 exists at $189.
And a R5 1400 is ~$160 with HSF. And its unlocked and will normally OC to ~4Ghz with the stock HSF. 8 threads for that price at that speed is quite the bargain. You're being more than a lil' hyperbolic if you think a 8400 makes the entire R5 lineup a bad buy.

Cygni posted:

It's probably the most disruptive CPU from a value perspective in a while.
Nah, R5 1600 still holds that title.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

priznat posted:

I think I will build a low(ish) power consumption NAS box instead, actually kind of thinking about one of the AMD 4 cores.

Overkill. Just use a kady lake 4 thread pentium dual core.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Don Lapre posted:

Overkill. Just use a kady lake 4 thread pentium dual core.

It definitely is but I kind of want to build an AMD for a change even if it won't be a worthy game replacement for my 2500k. I will check out the KL pentiums though, good option.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

8400 comes with an HSF, and beats even an overclocked R5 1400 in like every single test ive seen. Hell, it beats an 1800X in most stuff that isnt Civ or cinebench. But buy whatcha want man, i dont own either of em.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hitze posted:

Looks like some Microcenters still have 8700s in stock. Orange County, Denver, Detroit and Twin Cities.

When in doubt, it seems like Detroit *always* has *everything* in stock. They were the last store to go out of stock on the 1TB 960 EVOs. Detroit be poor.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Would the i7 k or non k be worth it over the i5 k or non k if you're just playing the vidya games? I'm on a 3570k, and still probably build for 6mo unless my computer melts

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Worth 70$ extra? Not unless you enjoy tinkering with your setup. The couple 100 MHz are not worth the headache anymore imho.
In a couple of months you should also be able to buy a cheaper H370 board, and an even more attractively clocked i5-8500 god willing.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 6, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the 8400 is an attractive buy and probably the only one purchasable after the stock for all the ks and 65w-8700s are snapped up for a couple weeks

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the 8400 is an attractive buy and probably the only one purchasable after the stock for all the ks and 65w-8700s are snapped up for a couple weeks

I'd like to see benchmarks for it on an H370, or at least with the RAM speeds lowered to 2666. That's where the real value is going to be, saving money on a cheap motherboard and slightly cheaper RAM.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 6, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

8400 comes with an HSF, and beats even an overclocked R5 1400 in like every single test ive seen. Hell, it beats an 1800X in most stuff that isnt Civ or cinebench. But buy whatcha want man, i dont own either of em.
KBL and SKL were already beating Zen on pure performance over all, Zen was always about offering value and "close enough to not matter" performance vs Intel and its pretty clear that they've achieved those goals given indications of good sales volumes we've seen and OEM comments.

You too can buy what you want, my comments were in response to what seemed to me to be fairly hyperbolic statements.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also Z370 mainboards are generally more expensive than B350 ones so the entire "waah Ryzen is of no value anymore" thing some guys here have going on is really ridiculous.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

orcane posted:

Also Z370 mainboards are generally more expensive than B350 ones so the entire "waah Ryzen is of no value anymore" thing some guys here have going on is really ridiculous.

Unfortunately Ryzen almost requires faster RAM and the QVL/AMD certified stuff may be more expensive. We also haven't seen any H370 pricing yet or Coffee Lake performance with only 2666mhz RAM, so it's hard to draw absolute conclusions.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 6, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VulgarandStupid posted:

We also haven't seen any H370 pricing yet or Coffee Lake performance with only 2666mhz RAM, so it's hard to draw absolute conclusions.

A bunch of the reviews used 2666. Anandtech, for example, always uses the highest officially supported frequency and nothing else. https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859/the-anandtech-coffee-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers/5

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I'm running a 4790K and I've got upgrade fever! Now if I can just find an 8700NK or 8400 here :australia:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

priznat posted:

R5 4/8 is one thing, but R3 4/4 offers no tangible benefit to your low-load media box than simply buying used Haswell.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Unfortunately Ryzen almost requires faster RAM and the QVL/AMD certified stuff may be more expensive.
If you want to guarantee DDR4-3200+ at the lowest possible latencies then yes the expensive AMD certified stuff is necessary but DDR4-3000/2933 will give you most of the performance benefit and typically only sells for a bit more than DDR4-2666.

And by a bit I mean $2-3 for the 16GB kits of dual channel stuff.

It hasn't been a big issue running at that speed for most since at least AGESA 1.0.0.4a and most mobo vendors had that update out for their BIOS'es since late April/early May. Typically a bump to vCore or vSoC/DRAM will make even the "Intel only just for X99/Z170/etc." stuff work at those speeds on Ryzen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

Why wouldn't you take advantage of one of those $329 Dell T30s with the four-core Xeons?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why wouldn't you take advantage of one of those $329 Dell T30s with the four-core Xeons?

They disabled the functioning M.2 slot with a bios update :smith:

eames
May 9, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

They disabled the functioning M.2 slot with a bios update :smith:

Wow, you're right. Strange move but I see you can update to fix the Intel remote management vulnerability and retain that through a BIOS downgrade to restore M.2 functionality.

on a different note...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dud root posted:

No 6700k in any of the review comparisons :effort:

The joke is that it is in all of them... they're essentially Skylake anyway