Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Mr Newsman posted:

Being against selfies was so 2014

That's true, now your phone takes constant photos of your face so the NSA knows where everybody is at all time and who forgot to put makeup on today

Consent was so 2016. Google's version of consent is "you signed a thing, once upon a time, that said you were DTF and also DTEVERYTHINGELSEUNLESSYOUEXPLICITLYOPTOUTAFTERWEALREADYDIDTHETHINGTOYOU"

I have to finish this off by saying of course I know DuckDuckGo is a lovely search engine and I'd rather have Google know what's growing on my testicle than have to sort through Altavista-style search results.

Rickets fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Do we really know this?

When my Note 4 battery started instantly dying when reaching 30-40%, (about a year of use) I checked online and everyone having the same problem all admitted to using the fast charge almost exclusively, whereas the people who only used ordinary chargers were fine. Same story with my 6P. That's about as close to proof as you're gonna get, since Samsung/Google sure as poo poo aren't going to give us a postmortem without a class-action against them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rickets posted:

That's true, now your phone takes constant photos of your face so the NSA knows where everybody is at all time and who forgot to put makeup on today

Consent was so 2016. Google's version of consent is "you signed a thing, once upon a time, that said you were DTF and also DTEVERYTHINGELSEUNLESSYOUEXPLICITLYOPTOUTAFTERWEALREADYDIDTHETHINGTOYOU"

I have to finish this off by saying of course I know DuckDuckGo is a lovely search engine and I'd rather have Google know what's growing on my testicle than have to sort through Altavista-style search results.

Don't forget the regular reminders about that thing you signed once that said you were DTF, just seeing whether you wanted to modify that every now and again

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My Pixel 2 XL order showed up as shipped in my Google Feed, not cool Google.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is like mega new phone day for me and yes I fully realize how hosed Up I am and need medical attention

How do you like the Note? I'm gonna pick one up as soon as they're back in stock here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ormy posted:

How do you like the Note? I'm gonna pick one up as soon as they're back in stock here.

Honestly, even with the reality that is Samsung being Samsung, it's fantastic. The only thing I don't like, is the absolutely pants on head retarded fingerprint scanner location. Everything else about this hardware is great. It's expensive which is good reason to avoid it, I obviously didn't pay for it nor most of my phones or I'd be flatout broke.

I think my perfect phone is Note 8 hardware with a lower/central fingerprint scanner, with Pixel Android software/OS. I can dream...

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Twerk from Home posted:

It's worth at least an asterisk that the dual rear cameras on the S are outright worse than the single camera on the non-S. The rest of the changes probably make the S better overall.

In what way is it worse?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Anyone else pick up a fabric knit lookin case with their Pixel 2? I got the midnight with the red button since I got stuck with the all black 2XL. For $40 I hope it's good enough to prevent me from wanting a Speck case whenever they drop.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uthor posted:

I was told not to use my 5x charger with anything else. I thought the 6p one was fine?

Maybe they're both bad. I don't know anything about the 5X charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 5x charger is bad. The USBC cable with the 6p is bad.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm considering upgrading from an iPhone 6S to a Pixel 2. I've only ever been with iOS. The Pixel seems pretty interesting, and iOS has been kinda getting on my nerves lately.

Is that crazy? Does it seem like a good idea?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm considering upgrading from an iPhone 6S to a Pixel 2. I've only ever been with iOS. The Pixel seems pretty interesting, and iOS has been kinda getting on my nerves lately.

Is that crazy? Does it seem like a good idea?

Its a terrible idea because then you will have to spend time deciding what mail and maps program you want to use.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

:negative:

OK then.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

gently caress, didn't know the cable was bad. Now I need to figure out which of my cables in use is the one from the 6P. :cripes:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

In what way is it worse?

Smaller, less sensitive pixels on the sensor combined with a smaller aperture on the 5S.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Solvency posted:

I bought the protection plan myself it, but now that I know there is a flat rate to fix the screen, I don't think it's worth it. The deductibles are $79 and $99 for the Pixel and the XL with a cost of $129 for the plan itself. They will only cover two approved accidental damage claims within the 2-year term. If those are cracked screens, the math works out like this:

So for it costs you $27 extra, even assuming you break your phone screen twice. You also get an extra year of coverage for mechanical breakdown of your phone, but I'm pretty sure that Google will replace your phone if it just bootloops or whatever within the 2 year period anyways.

I mean sure, if you totally destroy your phone by running over it, it will cover it, but how likely is that?

Yea with fi though its a $5 monthly fee you can cancel which makes sense for at least the first year. You aren't calculating the cost of replacing your phone completely which can happen. It can become broken beyond a screen and not covered by warranty. At that point its saving you huge money. It is not hard to self insure and set aside money each month over the life of the phone but you should consider that case. The other nice thing about the plan is they will overnight you a phone.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Pixel 2 XL looks really nice but it feels really hard to justify the price, even on the finance program. It's not as bad if you go for the 64 gig model and ignore the warranty, but it still isn't cheap.

Just IMO the XZ1 Compact is an interesting option, too, and were I to move away from iOS it was something I was looked at. They're boring as hell, but for some dumb reason I really like the aesthetic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The issue with the 6p cable is it makes any compliant charger vbus hot instead of keeping power off until a device is connected. That also runs the risk of jolting a device with the previously connected device's negotiated power settings.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

The issue with the 6p cable is it makes any compliant charger vbus hot instead of keeping power off until a device is connected. That also runs the risk of jolting a device with the previously connected device's negotiated power settings.

Is the charger usable if the cable is replaced? I can't remember if the cable is hardwired to the charger or not.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Anecdotally, my pixel 1 (xl) was running super super slow and i thought it was just because it's a year old, but i looked at the storage space and it was 94% full. Once i cleared space, it runs just about as fast as it ever has. I've seen low space warnings before but this time one wasn't triggered. It would think it would at 10%, or at least 5%.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
My Pixel XL is very smooth to this day with one caveat. After upgrading to 8.0 the camera doesn't load as fast. After the security patch it got better but not as snappy as it was.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-usb-c-digital-audio-third-party-usb-c-headphones-need-support/

I know there's a pretty select audience that cares about this poo poo, but poo poo. At least support analog output if you're dropping the headphone jack.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

myron cope posted:

Anecdotally, my pixel 1 (xl) was running super super slow and i thought it was just because it's a year old, but i looked at the storage space and it was 94% full. Once i cleared space, it runs just about as fast as it ever has. I've seen low space warnings before but this time one wasn't triggered. It would think it would at 10%, or at least 5%.

The two things that slow down a modern Android flagship are lovely apps and full storage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

The two things that slow down a modern Android flagship are lovely apps and full storage.

And Samsung

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-usb-c-digital-audio-third-party-usb-c-headphones-need-support/

I know there's a pretty select audience that cares about this poo poo, but poo poo. At least support analog output if you're dropping the headphone jack.

Pretty sure that article is wrong.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/Yvy0RfOPFfU

I mean the google community manager dude could be mistaken, and I hope he is, but I don't think so.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah but if you care about audio you would just use your existing 3.5mm buds or cans with the dongle... I doubt many people are buying usb c earbuds

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's the deal with latency on Bluetooth earbuds now? Do you have to put up with sync issues if you're say watching a video?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

baka kaba posted:

What's the deal with latency on Bluetooth earbuds now? Do you have to put up with sync issues if you're say watching a video?

I would guess it depends on the video since I've never tried watching anything longer than a couple minutes long news clip, and there aren't sync issues with those.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Never had sync issues with YouTube, Twitch or MXPlayer.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CLAM DOWN posted:

And Samsung

This is redundant. lovely apps was already mentioned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nice

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i have a grand prime d with 8 gb internal storage, 2,9 reserved for android, 2,9 for apps which are 90% google things you can't uninstall like news stand, or phone provider bloatware and i hate this

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The existence of phones with less than 32 GB of storage in 2014 or later is abuse.

AlexDeGruven posted:

:pusheen:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ArfJason posted:

i have a grand prime d with 8 gb internal storage, 2,9 reserved for android, 2,9 for apps which are 90% google things you can't uninstall like news stand, or phone provider bloatware and i hate this

Do yourself a favor and pickup a Moto G or something.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

The existence of phones with less than 32 GB of storage in 2014 or later is abuse.

:pusheen:

i know right.

At least it has sd cards
and you can choose to move apps to the sd card!
which moves like 20 megabytes of the 100 megabyte app god knows how

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do yourself a favor and pickup a Moto G or something.

yeah :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ArfJason posted:

Sounds like you definitely got the grand prime d in that deal holy gently caress

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also after i cleaned up and moved a lot of cached whatsapp stuff, the phone somehow started running *worse*

recently i uninstalled a lot of accumulated google app updates (like books newstands) and its running fine but who the hell knows how long itll last

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

FAUXTON posted:

I would guess it depends on the video since I've never tried watching anything longer than a couple minutes long news clip, and there aren't sync issues with those.

Well I mean more like a lip sync issue, the kind you can adjust for on home theatre receivers because your TV might be adding some latency. Basically is the tech fast enough to eliminate that or is there still a bit going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ArfJason posted:

also after i cleaned up and moved a lot of cached whatsapp stuff, the phone somehow started running *worse*

recently i uninstalled a lot of accumulated google app updates (like books newstands) and its running fine but who the hell knows how long itll last

Please get a new phone, dear god