Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
When jojo do the dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
a bunch of the enemy stands in sdc are classic horror movie references.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah it's great, Part 4's urban myths and legends is really great too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I finished bingeing through the second half of Steel Ball Run.
Just....gently caress, that was so good. D4C was insane.
Oh man and loving Diego Brando. But Funny Valentine! loving Funny Valentine. Man and Johnny and Gyro! Goddamn this is the best manga ever. I can't even articulate anything about it right now it was just so loving good.

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 4, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure you just say that about all the cross-country horse races to collect dead people parts

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Olive! posted:

I might be getting a temporary avatar for this month, what are some of the spookiest panels from part 6 for halloween?

I've skimmed through the chapters for Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit Flaccid Pancake, and Survivor.

People getting turned into snails.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the panel where the back of the guard's head bursts open and snails pour out and the guy's just "What"

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Augus posted:

I finished bingeing through the second half of Steel Ball Run.
Just....gently caress, that was so good. D4C was insane.
Oh man and loving Diego Brando. But Funny Valentine! loving Funny Valentine. Man and Johnny and Gyro! Goddamn this is the best manga ever. I can't even articulate anything about it right now it was just so loving good.

Lots of people talk about King Crimson being tough to understand as an ability but honestly D4C eventually gets to a point where it's very confusing, though it's definitely an incredible stands and is one of my favorite designs, too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Lots of people talk about King Crimson being tough to understand as an ability but honestly D4C eventually gets to a point where it's very confusing, though it's definitely an incredible stands and is one of my favorite designs, too.

D4C is incredibly easy to understand as soon as it clicks that Araki entirely changed it's ability between the the assassination of Johnny Joestar and anything after that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the problems with dirty deeds done dirt cheap come from araki deciding he wanted to do something different with it than he originally debuted with the johnny murder mystery

e: emmy got it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sounds like some people aren't napkin takers in this thread.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[eric andre after murdering his co-host voice]......Who shot Johnny?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What was Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price supposed to do originally? The assassination of Johnny Joestar is so loving weird.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

What was Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price supposed to do originally? The assassination of Johnny Joestar is so loving weird.
I'm not sure it ever changed, I think it was just presented in a confusing way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Merge single events from multiple universes/timelines into one set of sequential events.

Imagine in universe A Johnny is shot to bits by Wekapipo and in universe B he is shot to pieces by Diego. Valentine merges these two universes into universe C where effectively both of these events have happened which wouldn't be possible in a normal universe.

e: interestingly time works the same way

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I'm not sure it ever changed, I think it was just presented in a confusing way.

He definitely changes how it works, remember valentines eyeball being pushed into a different universe. Also Araki explains it as two very similar sponges being over laid and some holes lining up and some not.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember it feeling like Araki created the mystery of who did it while also having no idea who it was or how they did it himself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's how you make it mysterious

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm imagining an author being so anti-spoiler they write things they don't know the answer to confound everyone

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I'm imagining an author being so anti-spoiler they write things they don't know the answer to confound everyone

You should look into Nik Kershaw's song "The Riddle" :P

When are we going to get a Nik Kershaw stand, huh Araki?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

He definitely changes how it works, remember valentines eyeball being pushed into a different universe. Also Araki explains it as two very similar sponges being over laid and some holes lining up and some not.
Huh. I don't remember that, but fair enough. It's been a while since I read Part 7, and that little segment always confused the Hell out of me either way.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Remember when Pucci upgrades his stand for the first time, and he accidentally ages a baby into a horrible old man baby?

And then when Jolyne actually fought Pucci his new ability was suddenly something quite different until he upgraded it again and this time the "make time go faster" ability stuck around, although it still worked differently than it did the first time?

Edit: also it lost it's "Turn Stands into CDs" ability only to regain it when fighting Weather Report, I think?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 6, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
remember when whitesnake was semi-liquid?

and also when it made a cum-covered dream hallucination room

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The secret rule that applies to all stands is that they have at least one special ability that just works separately from their regular moveset, but can only be used once.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't believe Araki is making things up as he goes along. Each part clearly shows a genuine progression toward a logical end, even if there may be some digressions.

However, the fact of creating a manga chapter by chapter is that you're married to your past chapters. If you decide late in the story that things would work better if you had done things differently, you can't adjust as cleanly as you could if you were writing and editing a complete story in one go (like with a novel).

Still, Araki's willingness to makes such changes regardless is a strength. For all we might speculate how Valentine or Pucci's powers as originally portrayed would have worked in the story, it's hard to argue that what we got wasn't drat satisfactory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe Whitesnake used it's illusion powers a few times.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Stands can only do one thing except that sometimes that one thing is several things

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The D4C/Assassination of Johnny Joestar thing can be explained by what D4C ended up being, especially since he makes the two different Wekapeko (or was it Diegos) touch and disintegrate. He, working with other variants of himself, just pulled in another version of the two from underneath the flag/pushed someone into another dimension and used that confusion to skedaddle. The sponge metaphor is just the explanation of what happens when two copies of the same thing from separate worlds interact. Which was kept because it's how Mrs. Steele murders DIO harder than anyone else ever has.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wasn't it explained that Valentine used D4C to pull Dio and Wekapipo into the place where he was standing, so that they would both think that they shot Johnny?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I made this

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys i've been gone for a few months what's the raddest panel i've missed since they got on they first got in the charlift

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if it's not as good as a Damo panel then i don't want to see it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't leave out the conclusion

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Man turns arm into crossbow.

Shoots fork into rock man's eye.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I think if any stand has an excuse for demonstrating multiple abilities, it's probably Whitesnake, the stand that can remove other people's stands and turn them into a form usable by someone else

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Makes me realise that for all the power creep and stuff Josuke's Soft & Wet can do that it shouldn't really be able to do under the umbrella of its "Plunder", it hasn't really stepped into "this is just another stand entirely" territory.

Despite the fact it's actually two stands in one and one of those stands is Killer Queen, the original gangster "this stand does things that totally breaks the rules".

Because bubbles that get big and carry things are still his bubbles. Sheer Heart Attack would be a regular enemy stand in any other part.

TL;DR
「Soft  &  Wet:  Bubble  Number  Two  -  Sheer  Heart  Attack」
WHEN

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Already happened:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, on a technical level, kinda, but I mean turning bubbles into SHA tanks and schooling fools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

don't leave out the conclusion

I'm in love with Rai