Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The ability to skip straight through sections of a game is a great idea and should be encouraged at every turn. If deadlines and crunch times are going to keep creating situations where games get stealth sections that give you an immediate game over or QTEs that require you to complete them before you're allowed to move on, then by all means let me pass through that part.

The same goes for tutorials. If I say I want to skip the tutorial, don't ignore my decision to then tell me the information regardless! That's the second biggest thing that kills replaying games for me besides most of the stuff being on my Gamecube which is well before fast-forwarding became a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
This is one of those things where I agree with the concept of what Walker said but the way he went about it was pretty lovely. On a related, but different note, I disagree with the idea that game critics (specifically) should be allowed to skip portions of the game in doing their review. If they do that they're writing criticisms on a somewhat idealized form of the game instead of the game as it actually exists. It's like if a movie critic wrote a review of Citizen Kane but fast forwarded over the camera showing that Rosebud was his sled. It isn't a perfect metaphor, but the Citizen Kane where they don't show Rosebud has a vastly different ending than the Citizen Kane where they do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I disagree about skipping sections in a game, but I'm also the masochistic idiot who still forces himself to play through Peragus in KOTOR 2, The Fade in Dragon Age Origins, and Dead Money in New Vegas every time I play them because I love the stories so much. Even if I've beat each game a dozen times.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dead Money is great though and it made the situation a lot more interesting being stripped of all your super overdone stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Moatman posted:

This is one of those things where I agree with the concept of what Walker said but the way he went about it was pretty lovely. On a related, but different note, I disagree with the idea that game critics (specifically) should be allowed to skip portions of the game in doing their review. If they do that they're writing criticisms on a somewhat idealized form of the game instead of the game as it actually exists. It's like if a movie critic wrote a review of Citizen Kane but fast forwarded over the camera showing that Rosebud was his sled. It isn't a perfect metaphor, but the Citizen Kane where they don't show Rosebud has a vastly different ending than the Citizen Kane where they do.
A game critic who skips sections of a game is no better than CinemaSins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Dead Money is great though and it made the situation a lot more interesting being stripped of all your super overdone stuff.

It's a lot more bearable if you invest in the light step perk. In fact that can be said for the entire game and all its dlcs

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

A game critic who skips sections of a game is no better than CinemaSins.

Speaking of, it looks like Mr. Sins riled up some people with a recent Blade Runner EWW, so it's likely bobvids and maybe Shaun will be having another video about that. It's been a pretty long while since Shaun took a shot at EWW.

Is there a Whole Plate level series looking at the Resident Evil movies? The series reminds me a lot of Bayformers, but with it's success being more international than U.S. domestic.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
In regards to section-skipping, True Crime: Streets of LA was a bad game that at least was novel since it sort of allowed you to keep playing through the story and even threw in alternate cutscenes and sometimes even different missions entirely if you'd failed the previous one. You still got to see more of the story if you succeeded but you could pretty much fail your way to the end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

QTEs that require you to complete them before you're allowed to move on

Side note, but this kind of thing is something Naughty Dog took a look at with Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy for accessibility reasons, which is pretty cool. There's an option in the settings to turn anything where you have to repeatedly tap a button into just holding the button, for people who'll have trouble with the repetitive motion. That's the kind of option that should really become standard.

Uncharted 4 also has the option for sticky targeting, for players who want the feel of controlling the action but can't aim well enough with the controller. You'll snap to target enemies when you aim. It's even a separate selection from difficulty setting, which is cool. I'm always a fan of granular difficulty options.

RareAcumen posted:

The same goes for tutorials. If I say I want to skip the tutorial, don't ignore my decision to then tell me the information regardless! That's the second biggest thing that kills replaying games for me besides most of the stuff being on my Gamecube which is well before fast-forwarding became a feature.

This one's always tough. I often say that I want the option to skip tutorials, but in the end I know it's probably not that simple. For example:

What if a game, like some recent 3D Zelda games, embeds its tutorial in important story setup? You can't really just completely skip it, and even if they dropped the dialog boxes that tell you which buttons to press you're still going to have to perform many of the tutorial actions. For an experienced player like most of us here, the tutorial is tedious and patronizing and shouldn't have been included at all, but there are clearly players who need it. In retrospect, maybe it would have been better to present an optional tutorial for the controls and then speed up the opening story, though that also runs the risk of turning away players who do need the tutorial by providing no hook during the tutorial. Obviously, Breath of the Wild saw Nintendo take a very different approach to both tutorializing and storytelling in a Zelda game and I think it worked really well, but it's not an approach that will always work.

Some games give you the option to turn off tutorial messages, but not enough information to know whether that's actually wise. What if the first couple of tutorial messages come across as really obvious to me and I turn them off, but then end up missing something that wouldn't be obvious later? There are some solutions to this, though, one of which I saw implemented recently and really liked:
  • You could include tutorial "levels"--beginner, intermediate, and advanced. In tutorial pop-ups, instead of providing the option to not show any of those pop-ups, you can let the player indicate that they consider themselves an experienced or very experienced player of the genre. Then, you'll only show tutorial messages that you think are necessary for a player of that level of experience. Maybe if you indicate you're every experienced, the game will only show you tutorial messages for somewhat obscure mechanics that are specific to that game, things even an experienced player of other games might miss, but skip anything that explains the basic controls or what a hit point is. And the option to just outright turn them off should be included, too, for repeat playthroughs or players who just really want to figure out everything on their own.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 had a great option for a sequel: the option to turn off tutorial messages for everything except for new features. Anything that was in the first Divinity: OS it then assumes you know already, but it'll still show you messages for features that are new for the sequel. That was a cool inclusion, I think.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Thompsons posted:

In regards to section-skipping, True Crime: Streets of LA was a bad game that at least was novel since it sort of allowed you to keep playing through the story and even threw in alternate cutscenes and sometimes even different missions entirely if you'd failed the previous one. You still got to see more of the story if you succeeded but you could pretty much fail your way to the end.

Is that the one where one level has you fight a giant dragon in Chinatown and then nothing supernatural happens for the rest of the game?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Speaking of, it looks like Mr. Sins riled up some people with a recent Blade Runner EWW, so it's likely bobvids and maybe Shaun will be having another video about that. It's been a pretty long while since Shaun took a shot at EWW.

Shaun has announced he is making a new video about CinemaSins. Also,

https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/915721199807852546

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is that the one where one level has you fight a giant dragon in Chinatown and then nothing supernatural happens for the rest of the game?

No, you fight a giant eastern-style dragon in the inner sanctum of 300 year old Chinese sorceror that's BENEATH a restaurant in Chinatown, and that's after you fight zombies, beholders, and his firelady concubines. And then he magically causes your character's handcuffs to fall off in a cutscene later when the badguy has you bound to a chair.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Moatman posted:

That's more my issue with it. It's not so much that I dislike the idea as a whole; I can think of a few times where games have let you skip missions or other small bits of content to make the experience a bit smoother. As usual,though, Walker approaches it in the most obnoxious way.

I agree with you about game critics not skipping portions as well. If you're advocating for skipping through parts of the game, it doesn't instill much faith in you as a critic.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Thompsons posted:

No, you fight a giant eastern-style dragon in the inner sanctum of 300 year old Chinese sorceror that's BENEATH a restaurant in Chinatown, and that's after you fight zombies, beholders, and his firelady concubines. And then he magically causes your character's handcuffs to fall off in a cutscene later when the badguy has you bound to a chair.

I misread this as LA Noire at first and was very, very puzzled.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The Duke is back with his best work yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jbz3szEF0

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Kay Kessler posted:

The Duke is back with his best work yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jbz3szEF0

I was just about to post this. Especially as it is a thing pretty close to my heart.

Tekken has pretty much evolved to fully embrace Juggling (something I simultaneously love and lament - because it is a great demonstration of skill and memorisation when it is pulled off, and because I can't do it) so to hear this Elite Gamer rail against is is kinda like the gaming comment section version of the Rich Evans Tums Festival moment and I love it. :D

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Conal Cochran posted:

Learning that youtubers I've never even heard of make around $60,000 a month made me really re-assess my view of internet celebrities. I thought that was what Pewdiepie money would have been. So I checked to see how much Pewdiepie made and it's $7.4 million a year or around $600,000 a month. And the weirdest part of all is that I found this out from a Forbes article titled "PewDiePie Doesn't Make Anywhere Close To What He Should Be Making"

I'm not saying all youtubers are lazy assholes who need to go out and get a "real job" and I know that this big money thing is still a very small minority of them, but still it's a little strange.

It's not that youtubers can make this kind of money on the site that depresses me. It's that THESE are the assholes that get that kind of money. There are so many more deserving people that make videos with more effort than guys like this.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Kim Justice posted:

Idubbbz releases a new Content Cop and gets the #1 trending video worldwide. Jesus christ, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bukzXzsG77o

That was pretty good :discourse:. It's not about Jake Paul, its about Ricegum and his rape comments/filming without consent/being really insecure/etc. But from a cursory glance I don't think people ITT would like idubbbz, Filthy Frank, H3H3, or PewDiePie so they probably wouldn't want to watch it. Catchy diss track at the end though. Contains the N word and the three-to-six letter F word.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

vermin posted:

That was pretty good :discourse:. It's not about Jake Paul, its about Ricegum and his rape comments/filming without consent/being really insecure/etc. But from a cursory glance I don't think people ITT would like idubbbz, Filthy Frank, H3H3, or PewDiePie so they probably wouldn't want to watch it. Catchy diss track at the end though. Contains the N word and the three-to-six letter F word.

Idubbz is a land of contrasts in that he's incredibly incisive and funny about other's faults but cannot seem to find or address his own faults.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E: nvm

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think people here could generally go for Papa Franku at least. Most of the videos he does (at least what I've seen) are just flat out funny and weird (and sometimes disgusting...hair cake...) in the main and don't have much of a political slant. Although there is a chance with watching him that you'll collapse into the Omniverse and start wearing a pink bodysuit, I guess.

I have a few misgivings about posting this article but it does cover a couple of people who tend to get (mostly negative) time in the thread - it's noted skeptic Richard Carrier's account of MythCon IV, the event that just happened which featured a talk from Armoured Skeptic and Shoe0nhead, as well as a debate between far left skeptic Thomas Smith and Sargon of Akkad (you may recall that folks like Kristi Winters and Steve Shives tried to get both of these things shut down). It breaks down the contrasts between the talk and the debate and detailing the different approaches in play and what can be done, and I personally found it to be quite an interesting read although I'm sure people will have strong opinions on it either way. Just try not to take anyone's heads off or stuff like that.

https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/13327

ED: Cheers Keith sorted mate I want death me

ED 2: People have tags that they go by on the Internet :O

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 6, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just the loving idea that these people want to be taken seriously as thinkers while going by names like Armored Skeptic and Shoe0nhead and Sargon of Akkad and Thunderf00t and not realize it makes them look like even bigger chodes than their beliefs already do is astounding to me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

As the great thinker Sm3llmyD1cK once said in one of his historic youtube streams,

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I Before E posted:

Idubbz is a land of contrasts in that he's incredibly incisive and funny about other's faults but cannot seem to find or address his own faults.

yea he's both very funny when going against other much worse people and the dumbest motherfucker alive when it comes to looking at his own behavior.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I just can't get over the cognitive dissonance of hounding someone over saying friend of the family when he's going around calling people faggots like an edgy teenager, it's just incredible

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
But you see he's saying it ironically and *chokes on vomit*.

It's literally the same poo poo the Pepes pull but oh it's okay because he called out a guy who screamed the n-word. See also; nominally leftist people throwing words like retarded, autist and a whole slew of queer slurs around then getting pissy when people call them out on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That wasn't his point. He wasn't saying one was bad and one was okay. He just wanted to gently caress with a hypocrite who got mad at him for saying that word, yet has said it in the past on live venues with racial intent behind them. Multiple times.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lindsay Ellis made the Chicago Tribune!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CelticPredator posted:

That wasn't his point. He wasn't saying one was bad and one was okay. He just wanted to gently caress with a hypocrite who got mad at him for saying that word, yet has said it in the past on live venues with racial intent behind them. Multiple times.

It's not hypocritical to stand firmly against something you indulged in in the past. People make mistakes and then realize the error of their ways all the time.

Also, creeping on someone and grabbing onto them without their consent isn't "loving with" them. It's borderline criminal behaviour.

idubz is a gross weirdo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He just put his arm around her for a picture. Like that isn't a crime. It's pretty normal in fact.

But you don't have to like idubbbz.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

JordanKai posted:

It's not hypocritical to stand firmly against something you indulged in in the past. People make mistakes and then realize the error of their ways all the time.

Also, creeping on someone and grabbing onto them without their consent isn't "loving with" them. It's borderline criminal behaviour.

idubz is a gross weirdo.

Idubz didn't creep on Tana or grab onto her without her consent - seeing as it was a meet and greet, then presumably all the actual fans who were there to take pictures with her were grabbing onto her without consent too. Where do you folks get this crap from? I mean, the video of the incident is literally all over the place.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Idubz didn't creep on Tana or grab onto her without her consent - seeing as it was a meet and greet, then presumably all the actual fans who were there to take pictures with her were grabbing onto her without consent too. Where do you folks get this crap from? I mean, the video of the incident is literally all over the place.

I saw the video itself. I think it's super weird and creepy to drive across the country just to try and make someone you don't like super uncomfortable.

Like seriously, don't do that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She told him to kill himself on a public platform and acts like she's super woke but has said real racist poo poo a few years ago. Like actual racist poo poo. Not just being edgy for the sake of it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

She told him to kill himself on a public platform and acts like she's super woke but has said real racist poo poo a few years ago. Like actual racist poo poo. Not just being edgy for the sake of it.

I'm not saying she never did anything that warrants scrutiny. Just that idubz' behaviour in response was absolutely reprehensible.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I saw the video itself. I think it's super weird and creepy to drive across the country just to try and make someone you don't like super uncomfortable.

Like seriously, don't do that.

I didn't realise that the US consisted of California and literally nothing else

Seriously, what you think about Dubz isn't of consequence but it's not cool to paint him like he was about to start groping her or some poo poo either. The whole thing started with her trying to start some of that spicy low-rent Internet drama with him to boot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
fool. I hate everyone equally.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

I didn't realise that the US consisted of California and literally nothing else

Seriously, what you think about Dubz isn't of consequence but it's not cool to paint him like he was about to start groping her or some poo poo either. The whole thing started with her trying to start some of that spicy low-rent Internet drama with him to boot.

I never said that he was about to start groping her. All I said is that he grabbed onto her in a way that I don't consider to be appropriate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Do you hover hand people?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the particulars of the incident aren't really all that important, the response itself is just weird and slightly creepy like loving seriously do people not get that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Do you hover hand people?

No, I think that kind of thing is super awkward.

• Locked thread