Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

euphronius posted:

Kemba is too good to have a record that bad. Imho.

My pick as the most underrated player in Zogo's poll for the second year in a row. He's better than both Kyrie and IT imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

How I Feel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uao0ZZ8r52s

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

isme posted:

Who will win the 2017-18 Rookie of the Year?

1. Lonzo Ball, L.A. Lakers – 62%

2. Ben Simmons, Philadelphia – 24%

3. Dennis Smith Jr., Dallas – 7%

Also receiving votes: De'Aaron Fox, Sacramento; Jayson Tatum, Boston

Even the 76ers GM picked Ben Simmons over Markelle Fultz, so you can't expect the other GMs to pick Markelle Fultz over Ben Simmons.

19 GMs picked Lonzo Ball
7 GMs picked Ben Simmons
2 GMs picked Dennis Smith Jr.
De'Aaron Fox, Jayson Tatum got one vote each likely by their respective GMs.

So it also means that the Suns, Bulls, and Magic have no confidence in their high draft pick either.

I saw this and said to myself, "Ball over Simmons??? I'll take that bet!" Unfortunately the betting lines do not seem to agree with the opinions of NBA GMs.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That ROTY poll reminds me of when a bunch of GMs said Dunn was a darkhorse ROTY candidate

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
In honor of the NBA returning, I picked up a banana boat smoothie from Smoothie King.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Kinkead/status/916008189820366848

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/916053100389167105

:awesome:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

That ROTY poll reminds me of when a bunch of GMs said Dunn was a darkhorse ROTY candidate

A lot of people here loved Dunn too. I don't think he was a bad prospect, I think sometimes guys turn into pumpkins. All you can really do is trade them for an all-nba guy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Dunn had the Look. He no longer has the Look but at least he had it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos posted:

Dunn had the Look. He no longer has the Look but at least he had it.

I think all of the interest in Dunn last draft was 100% other gms knowing if they got him they could trade him for jimmy butler

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The secret strategy for the 2018 draft will be to take whoever New Orleans are super high on, to get the inside track on trading for Davis in 2019.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/916092184880910337

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Norm Powell is yet another victory for advanced stats because they said he was real good during his rookie year

Lockback posted:

A lot of people here loved Dunn too. I don't think he was a bad prospect, I think sometimes guys turn into pumpkins. All you can really do is trade them for an all-nba guy.

yeah but then we saw his age and wondered what people were talking about

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I'm sure someone already posted Jeremy Lin ethering Kenyon Martin with kindness?

https://twitter.com/TheDouch3/status/916042195249098752

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Speaking of victories for prediction the Nets are now a better team than the Knicks again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

he was an already rotting pumpkin imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's so big

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I kinda think folks getting annoyed at "cultural appropriation" are trying to elevate "being tacky" into a moral outrage. It's practically Victorian with the petty sanctimony. It oughta inspire an open roast, not demand a public apology.

Thanks to widespread understanding of Cultural Appropriation hot girls are now far less likely to choose the Sexy Pocahontas costume for Halloween. Great. We did it.

But still, Lin is a god damned Choir Boy and it's disgusting I want to bully him so bad. I get where Martin is coming from

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ah man Giannis' dad died about a week ago, age 53 or 54 depending on the article.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

Ah man Giannis' dad died about a week ago, age 53 or 54 depending on the article.

Rip Giannis's Papa, a cruel reversal of a popular greek name

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
[quote="“Brolander”" post="“477099334”"]
Rip Giannis’s Papa, a cruel reversal of a popular greek name
[/quote]

Heh

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I didn't see a streaming thread - what're people's plans for streaming the NBA this season?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I didn't see a streaming thread - what're people's plans for streaming the NBA this season?

I will get all my Pelican games through a PS Vue subscription. It carries TNT, all the ESPNs, ABC/NBC/CBS, and the regional FOX station most of their games are aired on.

I know some people who live out-of-market for their favorite teams are picking up an NBA League Pass sub.

Others are using a site I can't remember the name of but requires you to buy BitCoin via PayPal to access and everyone else is using https://www.reddit.com/r/nbastreams/ and praying for the best.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dunn legitimately was the most "NBA ready" out of college in a draft where no one was very NBA ready so it just turned out that being the most NBA ready didn't mean much.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is that his ballpunching arm

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brolander posted:

Rip Giannis's Papa, a cruel reversal of a popular greek name

lol

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This looks like people who haven't picked up a basketball in years.

Spacebump posted:

Picking East teams to make the playoffs that weren't Cavs/Celtics/Raptors/Wizards/Bucks was hard.

Time posted:

I'm going to be the first poster ever to get all eastern conference playoff teams right. Don't quote this next year

Yes, over the last four years SA is 0for351 in getting the eight teams correct.

There are 6,930 different possible combinations of eight playoff teams in a fifteen team conference.

The formula for this:
n! / r!(n-r)!
n = number of teams
r = playoff spots

(15*14*14*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1) / ((8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1) * (7*6*5*4*3*2*1)) = 6,930

So there's a long way to go to randomly pick the correct eight. Or picking all sixteen teams would be 1 in 48,024,900.

Of course the bigger challenge would be guessing the correct eight teams and their correct seeding. The likelihood of randomly guessing the eight teams and their rankings is 1 in 259,459,200.

(15*14*13*12*11*10*9*8)

Or all sixteen teams and their seeding: 1 in 67.3 quadrillion.

Brolander posted:

i hope i got every thing right

To score a 30/30 would be extremely difficult. Excluding these two questions:
Name the rookie WS and/or PER leader: Name the overall WS and/or PER leader:
(as they're impossible to attach perfect right/wrong probabilities to at this point).

To randomly reach 28 points by being accurate on all other questions is a 1 in 756.2 quintillion prospect.

Spacebump posted:

One of my favorite things about these threads.

Here is a good question for everyone. The last season (15-16) Dirk and Melo were both healthy, 37 year old Dirk had more winshares than 31 year old Melo. Assuming both stay healthy enough to play most of their games this season, who has more? (Keep in mind Melo was bad last Olympics outside of one game, so simply playing with better players doesn't necessarily mean he will play better0

Dirk is 39 and might cross the regular season 50,000 MP mark this year so I'd go with Carmelo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Why did Jimmer get a DNP vs Houston tonight?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

Why did Jimmer get a DNP vs Houston tonight?

Houston hasn't played in 2 days and doesn't play again until the 9th

Or is it a chinese game or something

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Tonight was Shanghai Sharks v. Rockets.

I was gonna make a joke about Jimmer being a chucker, but he scored 37 ppg on 47/39 shooting last year in the CBA so he probably didn't play because he's too important to risk against chumps like Harden and Paul :shobon:

e: Actually he has some unspecified knee injury with an estimated 3-4 weeks out

chunkles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

chunkles posted:

I was gonna make a joke about Jimmer being a chucker, but he scored 37 ppg on 47/39 shooting last year in the CBA so he probably didn't play because he's too important to risk against chumps like Harden and Paul :shobon:

This was his big chance, what a shame

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

quote:

Here's the 2018 Poll:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5jlRXMKx2syJOudEMHtkJj65fvCiCEV-BE1E8nfIYIElhAQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

It will remain open until some point on 10/17.

Quoting as it was a few pages back!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

[quote="“chunkles”" post="“477102925”"]

I was gonna make a joke about Jimmer being a chucker, but he scored 37 ppg on 47/39 shooting last year in the CBA so he probably didn’t play because he’s too important to risk against chumps like Harden and Paul :shobon:

[/quote]

The making-up of injuries to rest superstars already started I see

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvanTH posted:

But still, Lin is a god damned Choir Boy and it's disgusting I want to bully him so bad. I get where Martin is coming from

Actually, Jeremy Lin is good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Imagine this highlight is set to the chorus of "Smooth Operator" by Sade.
https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/916145026123493376

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
JEREMY LIN LOOKS LIKE LISTER FROM RED DWARF

no one said that yet right?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

verbal enema posted:

JEREMY LIN LOOKS LIKE LISTER FROM RED DWARF

no one said that yet right?

I said that he was good which is close enough

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Nobody complained when African Americans culturally appropriated dreads from Jamaicans.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Jeremy Lin is Asian in the NBA. He's inventing his own culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Kibner posted:

Others are using a site I can't remember the name of but requires you to buy BitCoin via PayPal to access and everyone else is using https://www.reddit.com/r/nbastreams/ and praying for the best.

I'm going to push my own referral, but the streaming site is reborn4HDLive
https://reborn4hdlive.org/en/register/?ref=6da2c407

Paying is a PIA though. You have to buy Chinese phone cards with paypal and redeem them back on the streaming site, or just use bitcoin. It sorta sucks either way, unless you have a bunch of bitcoin from GPU mining or something. The service is nice, it's NBA League Pass with the in-stadium feeds but a better UI for it. It works with Chromecast too which is really nice.

• Locked thread