Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Just because they released it doesn't really mean anything. It was outdated in 1996. One would have to be a complete moron to do anything with it by 1998 and by 2003 you were better off using COBOL if you really wanted to feel old-school. And I say this as someone who has made his first money on a foxpro (DOS, on 286) application in 1993 and I've always thought fondly of it. It was amazing in its prime (much better than DBase even if it was a blatant copy&paste) but the world moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Volguus posted:

foxpro .... the world moved on.

You're a funny guy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Given that my primary interaction with dropbox is "never actually actively interacting with it", I expect the result of this is going to be "ignore it until it becomes unignorable, and then see if there's another cloud storage provider that my apps support natively"

I can't wait :geno:

My primary interaction with Dropbox is via my computer's file explorer. I mostly use it myself for personal stuff and my computers are both synced so I never see any reason to go online and actually look at dropbox's online browser no matter how pretentious or non-pretentious it is. :shrug:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SEKCobra posted:

All I can think is that someone got paid out of the rear end to come up with this crap.

It came up in the amber forum, it's the result of five design companies working together.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

duz posted:

It came up in the amber forum, it's the result of five design companies working together.

Now I'm just picturing dueling banjos except when they start to do the duet, three other dudes jump in playing benny hill, all at different tempos and in different keys

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Some Absolutely loving Insufferable Wankers and Goddam Condoliza Rice for some loving reason posted:

Color can go from a standard Dropbox blue to “whoa.” Same for type, photography, and illustration. 

IIEEEEEEE that whole thing is awful but for some reason this part made me get real Mad On The Internet.
I hope Keanu Reeves sues them for copyright infringement on the use of "woah."

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Several tickets came in.

We're doing a massive live migration of a bunch of hosted VMs to some better storage. I had no hand in this decision, I am simply watching the glory of the aftermath. Our SAN is pinned at a solid queue depth of 128 across /all/ hosts. The world is basically on fire right now and I'm just standing here making a coffee while watching it burn.

I'm not even sure what there is to do right now other than inform clients that affected services can basically be considered dead until either vmotion finishes or we come up with a way to make the storage array stop trying to jump in front of a bus.

fast edit: There's a team of us in a room now going "what the actual gently caress can we even do right now?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Several tickets came in.

We're doing a massive live migration of a bunch of hosted VMs to some better storage. I had no hand in this decision, I am simply watching the glory of the aftermath. Our SAN is pinned at a solid queue depth of 128 across /all/ hosts. The world is basically on fire right now and I'm just standing here making a coffee while watching it burn.

I'm not even sure what there is to do right now other than inform clients that affected services can basically be considered dead until either vmotion finishes or we come up with a way to make the storage array stop trying to jump in front of a bus.

fast edit: There's a team of us in a room now going "what the actual gently caress can we even do right now?"

Is there a Best Buy close to you? :pseudo:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

duz posted:

The more artists working on the same thing, the better your end result will be I mean come on it's simple math.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

The more artists working on the same thing, the better your end result will be I mean come on it's simple math.

*Throws a dozen new developers on a project, gets really confused why progress is slowing down*

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You forgot to also mix in a bunch more project managers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dick Trauma posted:

You forgot to also mix in a bunch more project managers.

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of my six bosses disagreeing with one another over if I need to respect the authority of supervisors of other departments.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Is anyone near me hiring I can't find a new job soon enough.

I promise I'm not that weird in the workplace.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

Your AV says otherwise, though I wouldn't mind having a talking dog in the office!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Renegret posted:

*Throws a dozen new developers on a project, gets really confused why progress is slowing down*

Hey, everyone knows that since it takes one woman nine months to make a baby, you can use nine women to make a baby in one month.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Renegret posted:

MF_James posted:

Your AV says otherwise, though I wouldn't mind having a talking dog in the office!

Not a lot of places out there that hire non-human mammalian employees, but you can trust me, they do exist. Good luck on the job search Renegret.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Not a lot of places out there that hire non-human mammalian employees, but you can trust me, they do exist. Good luck on the job search Renegret.

Mapbox is always hiring for positions like these:

Mapbox posted:

https://www.mapbox.com/jobs/office-dog/

We’re looking for an office dog who loves to cuddle and accept back rubs to join the Mapbox team. You’ll be joining a seasoned team of Mapbox dogs that are excited to smell you. You’ll help us start every day by happily jogging towards us as we enter the office.

You should have some experience in laying in the sun. We’ll help you get accustomed to the office by providing you with treats and walks around the neighborhood.

This role is based in either our Washington, DC. or San Francisco office.

Qualities we’re looking for
  • Exercises loyalty. You’ll visit the office at least once a week and get excited when it’s a three dog day at Mapbox.
  • Knows when to use a barking voice. You’ll bark if someone is at the door and know that one bark is enough.
  • Exhibits compassion. You know the team works hard and cannot pet you all day long, so you’ll jump into a lap or curl around our feet.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Anyone here use Dropbox? Cause they just kicked off an incredibly confusing and pretentious redesign.
https://dropbox.design/

Luckily Dropbox is the anti EU GDPR beast, so that's been blocked on machines, webfilters, MDM systems, and firewalls.
..maybe we should redirect dropbox.com to https://[ORG]-my.sharepoint.com/

Also: Holy gently caress I hate those "scroll forever for no real reason" sites. :mad:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Anyone here use Dropbox? Cause they just kicked off an incredibly confusing and pretentious redesign.
https://dropbox.design/

This is like early 90s design and not in a good way but in a "Welcome to my home page on the internet" kind of way

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That dropbox poo poo is garbage and maybe the worst example of a Marketing team who's continually huffing their own farts that I have ever seen.

Putting out absolutely asinine poo poo like this:

quote:

Our new design system is built on the idea that extraordinary things happen when diverse minds come together. We communicate this visually by pairing contrasting colors, type, and imagery to show what’s possible when we bring ideas together in unexpected ways.

OUR NEW BRAND TYPEFACE. I mean holy poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know agencies that use Dropbox that are that insufferable, so they know their target audience to be fair.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AlternateAccount posted:

That dropbox poo poo is garbage and maybe the worst example of a Marketing team who's continually huffing their own farts that I have ever seen.

Seriously, I didn't realize there was more to it than the first page and that I could scroll down. As far as I can tell it's... "WOOO! OUR ART TEAM DESIGNED DIFFERENT COLORED SKINS FOR OUR SITE! NOW YOU CAN MAUVE ON RED! GREEN ON BLUE! PURPLE ON...OH LOOK JERRY CHOSE PINK TO GO WITH PURPLE!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AlternateAccount posted:

Their brand new Typeface named 'Grotesk'

I know Grotesque is the name of a family of fonts, it's just apropo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AlternateAccount posted:

It's not a joke?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowley posted:

Luckily Dropbox is the anti EU GDPR beast, so that's been blocked on machines, webfilters, MDM systems, and firewalls.
..maybe we should redirect dropbox.com to [url]https://[/url][ORG]-my.sharepoint.com/

Also: Holy gently caress I hate those "scroll forever for no real reason" sites. :mad:

Yeah but the kicker is all that's going to change for actual users is:
1) The logo's bottom polygon is going to move a little bit down
2) The accent colors are going to change slightly.

They made a big jerkoff website just to talk up THAT.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Quick question since I feel I'm forgetting something. I've been given a project to fully revamp the onboarding process at my work (since the current onboarding process doesn't exist) and the EMEA office has a question of the day thing setup with 8 weeks of questions that one by one get emailed to the new person (1 a day) for them to think about. I was wondering about implementing it, but automated (so just put in the new person's email address and it'll start sending each day to them). The list of questions is fixed, so it would be a template of sorts.

Any ideas?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

iajanus posted:

Quick question since I feel I'm forgetting something. I've been given a project to fully revamp the onboarding process at my work (since the current onboarding process doesn't exist) and the EMEA office has a question of the day thing setup with 8 weeks of questions that one by one get emailed to the new person (1 a day) for them to think about. I was wondering about implementing it, but automated (so just put in the new person's email address and it'll start sending each day to them). The list of questions is fixed, so it would be a template of sorts.

Any ideas?

Quick and dirty solution is to use powershell + scheduled task, just need a way to track which day the employee needs, but a csv could do that fine too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Start-Sleep -s 86400

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jesus, loving Visual FoxPro. Thanks for the loving PTSD assholes, one of my first IT intern jobs was at a clothing manufacturer whose IT was being done by the sole programmer of their backend system which was, you guessed it, VFP. Ugh gently caress that guy and gently caress Visual FoxPro.

Potato Salad posted:

actually, I had a tangentally related question: does anyone have experience with Egnyte for on-prem file access, and if so, have you or your users encountered any trouble with it?

OH BOY HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE.

It's been 2 years, and a lot of scotch, so I may be misremembering all the poo poo that happened, but we got this shoved on us by a new COO at a now-former client that wanted to sync fileserving at jobsites with butt and all sorts of other bullshit. To be fair to Egnyte, it's possible they've drastically improved their product in the last two years, but...anyway, this was my take.

--Their product is basically repackaging rsync. That's literally it. Rsync is great, don't get me wrong, but Egnyte is just wrapping rsync and trying to make it work with enterprise systems. Among other things, I'm fairly sure they had no on-write functionality - the syncing just ran every 5 minutes or whatever (I definitely recall 5 minutes being a minimum, because they quote "didn't want to stress out the infrastructure". Sorry guys but Dropbox loving figured that poo poo out in 2007 or whenever).
--Permissions were poo poo. Because they were POSIX. They had no fine-grained stuff. (Edit: I misremembered this - they had additional permissions of their own that they stored in the files, either in headers or as separate metadata I forget, but these weren't very fine-grained either, basically the same level as Dropbox with view, view/edit, modify permission, admin, or something like that - nowhere near as much as NTFS).
--Similarly, AD import and controls were fairly terrible. The initial sync setup was fine - they had a scripted sync where you just set up the config file and then used a scheduled task (somewhat like Google Apps sync used to be). But, there was a problem with how they did it.
--Their "solution" for fileserving on premises is, or was, Netgear NAS' (probably because they just run Debian so it's easy to deploy the Egnyte client as a .deb).
--The problem with AD was that they didn't have the on-premises stuff authenticating to domain controllers. The various boxes would download the user list from my butt, and the passwords from AD were synced to my butt, but the actual authentication was local to the box. This meant fun things like if you disabled a user technically they could still access files for a while. They had a beta feature for switching authentication to the DCs, but as I recall it would then not fail back to local if the NAS lost connection to the DCs (which at jobsites using essentially WiMax was quite a common occurrence). I mean also of course this was all just PAM and so on on the backend of the NAS (don't think they'd figured out realmd and sssd yet), so it was the same loving annoyance of integrating Windows and Linux that you'd have gotten with any Samba setup in the past 10 years.
--The BIG problem though, and this was my biggest loving annoyance, was that they had not thought through how you would auto-switch between butt, NAS, whatever files you might have on your own laptop, etc. This meant that if you went from one jobsite to another, or back to the headquarters, or home, that clicking the "Egnyte" folder wouldn't automatically redirect to your closest source of files. If you had files stored on the machine, sure, you'd access those locally, and access everything else going to Egnyte's servers. But...if you went to a jobsite, you'd access the locally stored files locally, and access the other files...on my butt. The software had no clue the NAS existed.

Egnyte's solution to this? "Oh we just suggest having users map a drive to the NAS by IP address - this is what all our clients are doing". :catstare: Listen buddy - A, these are construction workers and have barely managed to figure out holding the mouse right side up, B, they tend to just take equipment wherever without telling us so the NAS needs to boot up, use DHCP (because different subnets at different sites and we're not setting up DHCP reservations for 50 loving NAS' at 50 different sites on Cisco ASAs), and be findable by the software automatically, and C you're telling me to tell users to map a drive to make this seamless filesharing thing work? And when they go to another jobsite, and some of them visit 5-6 jobsites a day, map a new drive? Are you goddamn loving high? I mean gently caress, these are small subnets, I don't care if your software sends out network broadcasts 10 times a second to find NAS' on the network and redirect there, but how do you not have this poo poo figured out already?

Oh, and they're shitfuckingly expensive for what they provide - 100 users was about $50k a year. Maybe more, I forget. (Edit: as lovely as OneDrive is, 100 users on Office 365 Business Premium for a year is what, $15k?)

Anyway, if they've fixed the auto-redirect problem then they'd be much more enticing, but my 6 month stint trying to get things set up was miserable. And I had calls with the loving product managers there, and they were like "oh no one's ever asked for this kind of ability before" :psyduck:. It seemed like I was doing product development for them pointing out basic obvious features they should have for a product that was intended to be "access your files anywhere with the lowest latency" etc.

gently caress it where's the Lagavulin.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 6, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

God drat.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Oh, AND the new Dropbox client (mine already autoupdated) loses the handy check mark allowing you to easily see you are fully sync'd!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Samizdata posted:

Oh, AND the new Dropbox client (mine already autoupdated) loses the handy check mark allowing you to easily see you are fully sync'd!

This just went from hilarious to bullshit.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Everything is transient and putting labels like "finished" on our process messes with our mantra.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao we looked at Egnyte in 2014 and called out the lack of logic in the client as far as being aware of a NAS on the same site was concerned. So when they claim nobody asked for it, they're unsurprisingly talking poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mllaneza posted:

This just went from hilarious to bullshit.

Yup. It did.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Super Soaker Party! posted:

--The problem with AD was that they didn't have the on-premises stuff authenticating to domain controllers. The various boxes would download the user list from my butt, and the passwords from AD were synced to my butt, but the actual authentication was local to the box
I take it this isn't your first time posting this. Heh.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Samizdata posted:

Yup. It did.

Hoooooooly poo poo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AlternateAccount posted:

Hoooooooly poo poo.

But don't you see, it was absolutely vital that they removed the sides from the box to simplify their iconography and solidify their brand!

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

A few days ago, one of our Tier 1 guys got this ticket:

quote:

Respected Sir/Madam,

This is to inform you that I would like to request all the pornographic websites to be blocked as my computer is being infected with viruses. The following are the addresses which I would like to be blocked

https://www.4tube.com <http://www.4tube.com/>
https://www.playvid.com <http://www.playvid.com/>
https://www.xhamster.com <http://www.xhamster.com/>
https://www.redtube.com <http://www.redtube.com/>
https://www.youporn.com <http://www.youporn.com/>
https://www.pornhub.com <http://www.pornhub.com/>
https://www.tube8.com <http://www.tube8.com/>
https://www.cockselfie.com <http://www.cockselfie.com/>

I would like these websites to be blocked as I am afraid of my computer being infected with viruses and with various malicious sites.

Before receiving a response, dude actually came into our help desk to ask about it. The guy who helped him wrote up these notes on it:

quote:

The client approached me in lab and stated that they keep getting pop-ups and virus alerts. They have tracked the websites that have produced these alerts and wanted to see if we could block them on a network level.

I assisted the client in setting up Avira on their laptop. Regarding their request, I told them they were welcome to email it to us. I also let them know that we are a research university and aren't typically in the game of blocking websites, as even pronhub.com could be essential for a valid research means.

Routing their request to our IRT for further assistance.

The help desk then told us the following in our chat:

quote:

Just had the most uncomfortable conversation with porn man. Apparently he is conducting "research on adult images"......

He also wanted to know if there was a limit to the amount that he could view while using our network (i.e. if he would have his access revoked if he accessed adult sites too often)

Also asked if there was any kind (genre) of adult images/videos that were not allowed to be viewed on our network. I'm serious, I'm pretty dead inside. It's the same guy as before.
EDIT: Conversation spanned approx. 30 min. It was in depth.

And today, we received this message:

quote:

Porn dude came back today. Wanted to sit and work on his project at the IT Desk and have us help him with it.

I'm really torn on whether this guy is sincere in his "research" or if he's just a pervert trying to use our staff to get himself off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Danyull posted:

A few days ago, one of our Tier 1 guys got this ticket:

Before receiving a response, dude actually came into our help desk to ask about it. The guy who helped him wrote up these notes on it:

The help desk then told us the following in our chat:

And today, we received this message:

I'm really torn on whether this guy is sincere in his "research" or if he's just a pervert trying to use our staff to get himself off.

Ask for a thesis statement?

• Locked thread