Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also nice touch getting the old announcer voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i changed my mind, i do love ads

https://twitter.com/banterability/status/915758317070372865

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Support quality journalism! Subscribe for only 99 cents!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fuckin' lmao at that fuckin' ad

holy poo poo

those wheels

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm dying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

litterrally a jeep making GBS threads itself

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

maybe I should re-enable ads, that is some hilarious "poo poo"

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
what's a good "i don't want to block all ads, just the most egregious poo poo" blocker?

came across "stands" a/k/a "Fair AdBlocker" in the chome store, currently giving that a shot.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

no good ads because ad distribution networks are inherently hosed up and untrustworthy. set exceptions in ublock or whatever if you care

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OldAlias posted:

no good ads because ad distribution networks are inherently hosed up and untrustworthy. set exceptions in ublock or whatever if you care

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if any "fair" adblocker ever existed, they'd get bought out & start showing lovely ads so fast.

its all or nothing

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Didn't the old adblock plus have exactly that feature? Where you'd permit some of the less obnoxious ads.

And then the rumours started that advertisers could pay to be added to the list of "safe" ads.

I'd be okay with some ads if they don't animate and don't track me, but since there's no way for me to verify the latter I'll just play it safe.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Adblock is a mafia like sham scheme already where they make the advertiser pay again to actually be shown on the user screen

it's the reason why google and Firefox are adding it natively because why miss out on the revenue streams for the up coming ad wars?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

classic pagancow to speak up for ads

adblockers are good. idk the best currently but also idgaf

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

Adblock is a mafia like sham scheme already where they make the advertiser pay again to actually be shown on the user screen
i don't care what costs advertisers more money. advertisers are bad and shouldn't exist for crimes against humanity

pagancow posted:

it's the reason why google and Firefox are adding it natively because why miss out on the revenue streams for the up coming ad wars?
works for me

look at this poo poo

death to advertisers

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 7, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stick Insect posted:

Didn't the old adblock plus have exactly that feature? Where you'd permit some of the less obnoxious ads.

And then the rumours started that advertisers could pay to be added to the list of "safe" ads.

I'd be okay with some ads if they don't animate and don't track me, but since there's no way for me to verify the latter I'll just play it safe.

the ads have to be "safe" AND they gotta pay

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

they are adding it natively because the browser market is competitive and users hate ads

no amount of huff or umbrage will make internet advertising good. users hate it, the ads don't work well, and rates have been falling since day one

the whole industry is a scam. when all this is over, the only ads left will be search and in-line video

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
ads more like aids

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJDobrrOYA

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLFaj3Z_tWw

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i do not understand this at all
does this mean i'm old

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

u fucker this poo poo is going to stick in my youtube recs for months.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
The strength of the human spirit is your judgement of what you see with the most dishonest salesmanship against literal suicide.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

u fucker this poo poo is going to stick in my youtube recs for months.

lol at retaining any YouTube cookies

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol at retaining any YouTube cookies

Good point. They're useless for saving annotation settings it seems

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

reklam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLV_IkcIQk

reklam

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ps im DJ racist police force

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my name is skidka sorok protsentov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DlfAUXuVWw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

:jackbud:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i do not understand this at all
does this mean i'm old

nah, asmr is a, likely evolutionary, quirk some people have where whispering and calm repetitive noises of that nature has a very distinctive calming effect. it seems consistent, and distinct, enough that it is likely a real thing

still little research done, but a misplaced serotonin release meant to go with grooming behaviors seems a pretty good guess

have a buddy who has it, and tbqh it strays pretty far into a hunt for a high, so idk if it is that clever to mix it up with advertising (i.e. i would not be that surprised if it would actually be banned from advertising if it is nailed down by researchers, as it may rather be tinkering a bit too directly with brain chemistry)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pagancow posted:

I bet if they ironically bought out a boxy model and charges a premium on it it would get all those hipsters getting older now and having kids.

a brand new boxy but technologically updated version of the 740 turbo would get my money, hell yes.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, asmr is a, likely evolutionary, quirk some people have where whispering and calm repetitive noises of that nature has a very distinctive calming effect. it seems consistent, and distinct, enough that it is likely a real thing

still little research done, but a misplaced serotonin release meant to go with grooming behaviors seems a pretty good guess

have a buddy who has it, and tbqh it strays pretty far into a hunt for a high, so idk if it is that clever to mix it up with advertising (i.e. i would not be that surprised if it would actually be banned from advertising if it is nailed down by researchers, as it may rather be tinkering a bit too directly with brain chemistry)

no, it's horny dudes who jack off to girls whispering they're good boys

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The best ASMR channel out there.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

ASMR you say?!

look no further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0oBIbVyRQQ

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Its truly amazing how bad this is and shows how much of a liability your marketing department is in most cases.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

BBJoey posted:

no, it's horny dudes who jack off to girls whispering they're good boys

huh, alright then. thanks for the explanation

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

after the white girl is a brown girl

the horror

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

huh, alright then. thanks for the explanation

"ASMR" , "autonomous sensory meridian response", is the tingling in your body that you get when you listen to really good music, or have a really strong emotional response to a piece of art, or have your skin gently stroked by a lover, and so on. it happens to literally everyone with a functional nervous system.

for some reason, some people find that this effect is triggered by listening to girls whispering in youtube videos, but if they just said "i get all tingly when girls whisper at me" people would correctly say "i don't care" or "that's gross" so they gave it a fancy invented name and pretend that they're some kind of cutting edge psychonauts

quote:

The term "autonomous sensory meridian response" was coined on 25 February 2010 by Jennifer Allen, a cybersecurity professional residing in New York[5] in the introduction to a Facebook Group she founded entitled the ASMR Group.[6]
Prior to the subsequent social consensus that led to what is now the ubiquitous adoption of that term, other names were proposed and discussed at a number of locations including the Steady Health forum, the Society of Sensationalists Yahoo! Group and the Unnamed Feeling Blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

"ASMR" , "autonomous sensory meridian response", is the tingling in your body that you get when you listen to really good music, or have a really strong emotional response to a piece of art, or have your skin gently stroked by a lover, and so on. it happens to literally everyone with a functional nervous system.

for some reason, some people find that this effect is triggered by listening to girls whispering in youtube videos, but if they just said "i get all tingly when girls whisper at me" people would correctly say "i don't care" or "that's gross" so they gave it a fancy invented name and pretend that they're some kind of cutting edge psychonauts

just sounds weird and gross to me

i hate the wet mouth sound

• Locked thread