Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

markus_cz posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be another DLC? Something about an Asian civ, if I recall correctly? It has been eerily quiet recently...

Civ Fanatics thinks it'll be around the end of October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

StashAugustine posted:

except 3. gently caress 3.

Even 3 has great modern era music that should have set the template for later games.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Didn't 3 also have the thing where leaders switched clothes and haircuts as they went through the eras? All civ games need that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

its kind of sad where 3 is the one i grew up with, and there's something to be said for simplicity, but fuuuuuuck a lot of the fundamental mechanics in that game suck

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

its kind of sad where 3 is the one i grew up with, and there's something to be said for simplicity, but fuuuuuuck a lot of the fundamental mechanics in that game suck

It gave us borders, those are cool though right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SMAC had borders, though it was pretty barebones

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

SMAC had borders, though it was pretty barebones

Ah, fair, forgot that came out first

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gort posted:

Man, I remember the original Colonization, before borders were invented. As far as I could tell, the enemy AI was literally scripted to come sit outside your cities on your resources to block you from using them and just double daring you to start a war to make them leave. It sucked. :lol:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

To be fair, Civ 3 they'd send huge armies with settlers into your borders then declare war if you told them to get lost

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Civ 3 was a beta for Civ 4. But I guess the same holds true for 1->2 and 5->6. Though it's closer to 2 in terms of mechanics, but introduced some of the stuff we enjoyed in 4.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair, Civ 3 they'd send huge armies with settlers into your borders then declare war if you told them to get lost

Oh yeah. I seem to half remember being super excited by the default state in 4 being 'NO ADMITTANCE' without explicitly signing open borders after years of 3.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Other than the switch to isometric, Civ 2 was more of a DLC for Civ 1 than 1 being a beta for 2. Describing 3 as a beta for 4 is more accurate probably.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Eric the Mauve posted:

Other than the switch to isometric, Civ 2 was more of a DLC for Civ 1 than 1 being a beta for 2. Describing 3 as a beta for 4 is more accurate probably.

Just play CivNet instead, Civ2 ruleset in Civ1 graphics (touched up, though), at least IIRC.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

That's depressingly historical however.

But not a fun game mechanic.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Gort posted:

The constant war weariness and civil unrest in that game pissed me off.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dyz posted:

Turns out it didn't even invent the border mechanics

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dyz posted:

Did the expansion packs make 3 better? I remember dropping after one playthrough.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

they added a unit thats pretty much straight superior to longbowmen and comes earlier, also two wonders that infinitely poo poo out units

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Dyz posted:

Lol. I thought you were talking about Civ VI

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Bring back the palace building I say!

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Keiya posted:

I wanna play Civ but Civ V barely runs on this lovely laptop and Steam won't even download Civ VI :(

You may not realise that it's an option, but you could rent a virtual machine with enough power to run new games and stream through a browser or client software.
I have an account with Paperspace.com that combined with a decent broadband connection gives me a 'gaming laptop' for ~$20/month which works out a hell of a lot cheaper than updating my hardware.
There are obvious drawbacks, but if you meet the use case then you should look into it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Glass of Milk posted:

i want rotoscoped fmv advisors first

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ChrisXP posted:

You may not realise that it's an option, but you could rent a virtual machine with enough power to run new games and stream through a browser or client software.
I have an account with Paperspace.com that combined with a decent broadband connection gives me a 'gaming laptop' for ~$20/month which works out a hell of a lot cheaper than updating my hardware.
There are obvious drawbacks, but if you meet the use case then you should look into it.

I feel like I've just been told that everyone else has solid gold rocket cars in their garages, and I just haven't seen them.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Glass of Milk posted:

There's a Civ5 mod for that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ChrisXP posted:

As cool as it is living in this future world we have, would there not be huge issues with compression artifacts and input lag? Gaming must be the one medium that such a setup would be insufferable on.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is such a thing even possible?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ChrisXP posted:

This solution sounds like it would be an absolutely terrible experience when playing games. I am interested in what kind of setup you have to make this usable. For example, how do you play the game you are streaming, like, how does it work? Please don't tell me you are using remote desktop.
Also, what kind of games does this work with, I assume Civ V/VI is one but are there others. Do you play mainly games like CK II, EU IV etc.?

I am genuinely interested in hearing what you have setup and what you use it for, it sounds interesting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Aerdan posted:

There's a Civ5 mod for that.

You can't say that and not link us to it :stare:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You can't say that and not link us to it :stare:

I do believe I just did say that and not link to it. :v:

(link)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

ChrisXP posted:

I have mediocre-at-best internet. I also have money set aside to build a new desktop (and can then in-home stream if I wanna play in other rooms) but people keep telling me to wait for coffee lake...

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Keiya posted:

I have mediocre-at-best internet. I also have money set aside to build a new desktop (and can then in-home stream if I wanna play in other rooms) but people keep telling me to wait for coffee lake...

I really don't know why. Skylake and Kaby Lake were both underwhelming, from what I understand.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:shrug:

In fairness, this is an outlier. The other benchmarks tend to show Coffee Lake well ahead.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What is all this?

Signs of new content incoming? (never noticed them before so i don't know if they're new or not)

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Current civfanatic theory is that new DLC/patch will come near end of October. Guess this is preparation for that.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cool city, bro.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It gives two copies of a unique resource, can't be razed, and it's a good launching ground for military assaults!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah he knows. He said it was cool :colbert:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wow, Civfanatics has an absolute poo poo ton of podcasts about Civilization. I didn't know that community was that big.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Wow, Civfanatics has an absolute poo poo ton of podcasts about Civilization. I didn't know that community was that big.

The game series is older than many people playing it (the original was 1991).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
New info about update.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1465218389866257024

quote:

The “Fall 2017 Update” brings some major changes. The biggest: An update to the Religion system is coming to Civilization VI. I’m Sarah Darney with the dev team, and here’s a quick heads up on some of what you can expect.

ROUNDING OUT RELIGION
Religion gets fleshed out with new beliefs and religious units. Two new Pantheons will be get introduced into the game, along with new Founder, Follower, Enhancer, and Worship Beliefs. These beliefs unlock the ability to build two new buildings as well as a new combat unit, the Warrior Monk.

We also heard your requests for a deeper overall experience – and took that to heart with revamped religious combat. Religious units can now exert Zone of Control and receive Flank and Support bonuses in religious combat. Meanwhile, the Guru religious support unit can heal nearby religious units.

Finally, the Religion Lens has been overhauled to improve overall usability and readability. You’ll also find UI touches, such as religion indicators on unit flags, to remove all guesswork on where a unit’s allegiance lies.

MORE UI, BALANCE AND AI TWEAKS COMING
There are also a good number of UI, AI, and balance enhancements coming with the “Fall 2017 Update.” Here are some of the stand-out improvements.

The oceans are safe no longer, as the AI players have increased their building of naval units, as well as fleets and armadas. Additionally, they are better at healing and protecting their naval units. Brace for coastal assaults! With the upcoming addition of one of our new civs, this change is especially exciting.

We’re removing the least useful Gossip messages, which means you will now receive the most important news about what other players are up to, and you won’t have to search through all of the world’s happenings to get to it.

Finally, you’ll notice overall changes to the UI, including an update to the Diplomacy screens to ensure all information is clear and easy to find. Beyond this, the Great People art has been updated to feel more “great” and make this screen easier to navigate; Capital icons now show on city banners in the Espionage Mission selection menu, and many smaller changes have been made to the menus to make screens more moddable and extensible.

More changes are coming soon with the “Fall 2017 Update” and we’ll give you a full breakdown of everything going into it when it’s live. Follow the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #OneMoreTurn, and be sure to follow the Civilization franchise on social media to keep up to date with the latest news and information on Sid Meier’s Civilization VI.