Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MourningView posted:

That's worked out well for lots of guys it just sounds like Ogeron has been loving with his coordinators instead of leaving them alone like Dabo seems to

Even though he said he learned his lesson and wouldn't do that again. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dabo is such a strange figure. Career WR coach, goes 6-6 his second or third year, and then just rips off 10 win seasons year after year and doesnt look back. Weird.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dabo is such a strange figure. Career WR coach, goes 6-6 his second or third year, and then just rips off 10 win seasons year after year and doesnt look back. Weird.

Found awesome coordinators, let them do their thing, and recruited like a motherfucker. And Clemson has been willing to shell out a ton of money to keep assistants around

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

You guys

https://www.cowbucker.com/collections/collegiate

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Not one, but TWO Oregon fanny packs?!

What a time to be alive.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

vyst posted:

You lose every time you wake up and look in the mirror lmao

:mad:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yep. Almost flamed out. Cautionary tale about firing someone who's learning on the job—but he's a unique blend of cheerleader and executive coach who will only succeed as long as he has great coordinators.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. Almost flamed out. Cautionary tale about firing someone who's learning on the job—but he's a unique blend of cheerleader and executive coach who will only succeed as long as he has great coordinators.

As opposed to all the successful coaches who have succeeded with coordinators that sucked rear end.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

drewhead posted:

As opposed to all the successful coaches who have succeeded with coordinators that sucked rear end.

He doesn't specialize in anything. Spurrier still won with Jon loving Hoke. Bama will be good on D no matter who the DC is.

Dabo owes like 90% of his success to his coordinator hires.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think saying the only thing Dabo does is get out of the way of his coordinators is selling him short.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

He doesn't specialize in anything. Spurrier still won with Jon loving Hoke. Bama will be good on D no matter who the DC is.

Dabo owes like 90% of his success to his coordinator hires.

Clemson will be trash as soon as Chad Morris leaves.

I don't disagree with your antidotes, but it's a stupid loving argument to make in a sport where the only important thing is results. So Dabo's strengths are talent procurement in an industry where that is 90% of the job. OK. Saban finds DCs to articulate his vision. You don't think Spurrier did as well? OK, so some of them sucked outside the system? Morris has set the world on fire at SMU and is a shoe in for the A&M job. Had you ever heard of Tony Elliot before two NC trips? Venerables is the counter argument but that seems more like the exception.

Therefore he has no ability to coach or develop players? Um what? This isn't autopilot Bobby Bowden. This guy's finger prints are everywhere on this program.

He plays the 'awe shucks, little ole Clemson' card a bit too much. But it would be a mistake to buy into that.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

big money big clit posted:

I think saying the only thing Dabo does is get out of the way of his coordinators is selling him short.

I think this is true.

It's also basically James Franklin, whether people are willing to admit it or not. A successful college head coach doesn't need to be the most brilliant X's and O's tactician on offense or defense. But they do have to be really good at a number of different things, including politics with boosters and lettermen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

big money big clit posted:

I think in terms of like gameplaning stuff it's mostly true. But part of being a good head coach is finding good assistants so I don't think it's a huge knock on him. He's also one of the best recruiters in the country and players obviously love him. I don't think he's very involved in x and o stuff but there's a lot more to being a head coach than that.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

It's still fun to think of Dabo as a grown up evangelical Morty

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

drewhead posted:

I kind of know what Beamer did until about the early '00s, no clue after that. Like I legit don't know what Frank did on a day-to-day basis in say, 2009. He wasn't an Xs and Os guy, he wasn't great on gameday as a motivator, I have no real way to explain most of his success (and he had a shitload of sustained success) except "Bud Foster". He was a wretched recruiter, too. I'm not saying he didn't do anything, I'm just telling you I have no loving clue of what it was and seemingly nobody else does either.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So how exactly did NCSt lose to a Will Muschamp team again? They get Clemson at home and could theoretically knock them off. But that loss to SCAR is brutal

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I kind of know what Beamer did until about the early '00s, no clue after that. Like I legit don't know what Frank did on a day-to-day basis in say, 2009. He wasn't an Xs and Os guy, he wasn't great on gameday as a motivator, I have no real way to explain most of his success (and he had a shitload of sustained success) except "Bud Foster". He was a wretched recruiter, too. I'm not saying he didn't do anything, I'm just telling you I have no loving clue of what it was and seemingly nobody else does either.

My sense has always been that he's a lot like Ferentz in that he was really good at scouting and player development stuff and kinda meh at everything else (with the benefit of being in an area where the under the radar recruits are a lot more talented).

So how exactly did NCSt lose to a Will Muschamp team again? They get Clemson at home and could theoretically knock them off. But that loss to SCAR is brutal

First game of the year and SCar hit some big plays. Debo was still healthy for SCar too which made a huge difference

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

MourningView posted:

First game of the year and SCar hit some big plays. Debo was still healthy for SCar too which made a huge difference

It may turn out fully healthy we were not a bad team, we have been hit with a lot of injuries and don't appear to have quality depth. Our play calling on offense also seems to just be getting worse, thanks Kurt Roper.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

drewhead posted:

Clemson will be trash as soon as Chad Morris leaves.

I don't disagree with your antidotes, but it's a stupid loving argument to make in a sport where the only important thing is results. So Dabo's strengths are talent procurement in an industry where that is 90% of the job. OK. Saban finds DCs to articulate his vision. You don't think Spurrier did as well? OK, so some of them sucked outside the system? Morris has set the world on fire at SMU and is a shoe in for the A&M job. Had you ever heard of Tony Elliot before two NC trips? Venerables is the counter argument but that seems more like the exception.

Therefore he has no ability to coach or develop players? Um what? This isn't autopilot Bobby Bowden. This guy's finger prints are everywhere on this program.

He plays the 'awe shucks, little ole Clemson' card a bit too much. But it would be a mistake to buy into that.

I'm not sure what part of my point is so offensive to you—some of the best coaches in the history of the game weren't Xs and Os sorcerers. But he isn't some football mastermind.

His talent is talent procurement—and he won't be able to float periods of mediocre coordinators in any one area with his own expertise.

Which is fine bc he hasn't had to.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA LB Natrez Patrick arrested on a misdemeanor charge for THE DEVILS LETTUCE

E: and because it is his second time, its 40% of the season that he has to sit out.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

drewhead posted:

Gary Pinkel did pretty well at Mizzou with dudes I wouldn't consider good coordinators. On offense, Dave Christensen was fine, Yost sucked, Josh Henson was eh. On defense, Steckel was overrated, Eberflus was okay. Odom was really good when he was the coordinator, but that was also just one year under Pinkel.

He was really good at finding two stars he could develop into four stars and knowing when he had to change things up game to game, but not really in game.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not sure what part of my point is so offensive to you—some of the best coaches in the history of the game weren't Xs and Os sorcerers. But he isn't some football mastermind.

None of if was offensive, I said it was stupid. Look, I'll agree that Dabo hasn't demonstrated readily available evidence that's he'a an XO wizard. He hasn't ever really had that role going straight from position coach and skipping over the traditional coordinator roll that tends to be the mainstream way coaches are grown. But assuming he doesn't possess that is buying into the awe shucks perception that's out there. I think there more there than people want to give him credit for. That's perfectly OK, frankly he thrives off that.

It's funny, because in the early years one of the big knocks on Dabo from Clemson fans was that he was too involved in calling plays. That he interfered with his coordinators and didn't let them do their job. The results of those early years may support your argument. I tend to see it as he was involved enough to understand that what was happening wasn't his vision and made the appropriate changes.

Ultimately I'm OK with what we got even if Dabo doesn't know whether a X is offense or defense. I just don't think that's very accurate.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Is it time for dabo.jpeg?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

[quote="“drewhead”" post="“477110638”"]
None of if was offensive, I said it was stupid. Look, I’ll agree that Dabo hasn’t demonstrated readily available evidence that’s he’a an XO wizard. He hasn’t ever really had that role going straight from position coach and skipping over the traditional coordinator roll that tends to be the mainstream way coaches are grown. But assuming he doesn’t possess that is buying into the awe shucks perception that’s out there. I think there more there than people want to give him credit for. That’s perfectly OK, frankly he thrives off that.

It’s funny, because in the early years one of the big knocks on Dabo from Clemson fans was that he was too involved in calling plays. That he interfered with his coordinators and didn’t let them do their job. The results of those early years may support your argument. I tend to see it as he was involved enough to understand that what was happening wasn’t his vision and made the appropriate changes.

Ultimately I’m OK with what we got even if Dabo doesn’t know whether a X is offense or defense. I just don’t think that’s very accurate.
[/quote]

It's not stupid to assume someone has minimal X/O acumen when he's never demonstrated any and was almost fired for mediocrity when his coordinators were lovely.

To his credit he adapted and has become one of the better executive type head coaches in the game.

Urban Meyer is another example without the near-firing.

All I said is he's a great cheerleader and identifier/utilizer of talent. What part of this is wrong? You seemingly just agreed with me after calling the point 'stupid.'

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Is it time for dabo.jpeg?

When isn't it time for dabo.jpeg?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jon_Garrett/status/915822296283189248

I'm all the people asking for it to be deleted

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

All I said is he's a great cheerleader and identifier/utilizer of talent. What part of this is wrong? You seemingly just agreed with me after calling the point 'stupid.'

You said he's not a great XO guy. Maybe, maybe not. I just don't think we know. We might never know. I agree that there is some evidence that says he's not. I would assert there is some indications that he knows what he's doing. You may be right, but I think the assumption that is the case based on the available evidence is stupid. Maybe it's my Orange glasses, but it seems more ambiguous to me.

I get it, you disagree. We cool, I'm done.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't wait for Dabo at bama after saban retires and their recruiting gets even better

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I think it's one of those things that's really nobody's fault, it's just a shame that the petting culture puts everyone in these situations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

drewhead posted:

You said he's not a great XO guy. Maybe, maybe not. I just don't think we know. We might never know. I agree that there is some evidence that says he's not. I would assert there is some indications that he knows what he's doing. You may be right, but I think the assumption that is the case based on the available evidence is stupid. Maybe it's my Orange glasses, but it seems more ambiguous to me.

I get it, you disagree. We cool, I'm done.

Calling someone else stupid when providing zero additional evidence to the contrary makes a lot of sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Well, she shouldn't have disobeyed a direct order.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

Calling someone else stupid when providing zero additional evidence to the contrary makes a lot of sense.

Not true his counter evidence is...um, two seasons where his teams were bad and he almost got fired?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2015 UNC lost to a South Carolina team that lost to The Citadel. Then the Heels didn't lose again in the regular season. That Cocks loss was so absurd that the Heels weren't ranked until November.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

D.N. Nation posted:

2015 UNC lost to a South Carolina team that lost to The Citadel. Then the Heels didn't lose again in the regular season. That Cocks loss was so absurd that the Heels weren't ranked until November.

Is this going to be a new ACC tradition for a NC school? Lose to USCe then be very good the rest of the year?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bowling green is still bad and it's doing my heart some good to see dino babers getting exposed at syracuse

also today is "DJExile hauls old/dead files down to the basement of the office" day, so here have a look at this rad old keyring of a Vols schedule

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

She probably walked on the memorial grass and didn't listen the General Dog, ma'am when told to get off it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
All of this Dabo chat makes me think that there's an alternate universe where Ron Zook's recruiting/player motivator talent led him to the title at Florida.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Is this going to be a new ACC tradition for a NC school? Lose to USCe then be very good the rest of the year?

It's probably a good lesson that we shouldn't make too much of any one game. Outside of that one NC St has been good in pretty much exactly the way people expected them to be good before the season

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Texas A&M dog biting people is the best thing I've seen all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

All of this Dabo chat makes me think that there's an alternate universe where Ron Zook's recruiting/player motivator talent led him to the title at Florida.

They were never a bad offensive team, but they tended to underperform against top teams—especially respective to their own talent level. Also OL play was never great. Zook recruited skill talent like crazy, but pretty badly in the trenches. The mainstays like Degory were Spurrier recruits (Berlin Wall, if you can believe it :haw:)

Zook's defenses were generally not great though. Bend and bend and bend. Strong did ok but they could never turn the corner.

Also bear in mind that Zook had 2 OCs in 3yrs—Zaunbrecher from Marshall and Larry Fedora.

Maybe if hed had more time w Fedora better things were on the other side. But if they'd have waited, we would've whiffed on Meyer.

• Locked thread