Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tias posted:

Those wolf head uniques are amazing for ranged guys with good vision.

On the one hand, you're right.

On the other hand, I have a third witchhunter's hat and they look bitchin' on my ranged trio and I hate to break up a band that just got together.

So that wolf head gets to stay on Broadside, who has a unique axe and skill enough to use it. :black101:

(ps I got the wolf head from a 3 skill battle with like 20+ nachze... those jerks, with like 4 of them up to their biggest form. I got crazy luck as well as figuring out how to herd them between lines for murder-death-killin', and the reward was glorious!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

vyelkin posted:

If you get a clue for a bandit camp it can also be referring to an undead camp that should be full of zombies. I think the idea is that the zombies are the former bandits.

The loud cursing fifteen minutes ago was me. You were exactly right: wiedergangers and a necromancer. And the unique sucked.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I just cleared out a cursed graveyard that contained 7 ghosts and nothing else. My reward was 6 gold. It was a pretty easy fight so I'm not mad, but what?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Blisster posted:

I just cleared out a cursed graveyard that contained 7 ghosts and nothing else. My reward was 6 gold. It was a pretty easy fight so I'm not mad, but what?

This happens pretty often and it's hilarious because geists give pretty good XP for how nearly harmless they are when on their own.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I'm been learning about tavern rumors and I wanted to see if my experience matched others. If I get a rumor about a location that doesn't mention a unique, I won't get one. If I'm told "... is full of riches. But maybe I'm misremembering." then there's nothing special, either a unique or riches. If I'm sent to a location by a quest, there won't be anything. If I'm told there's an item, even in hesitant language, there will be one. And the part I'm most unsure about: if I just dive into a camp randomly, I can get a unique, but the chance is very, very low.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BurningStone posted:

I'm been learning about tavern rumors and I wanted to see if my experience matched others. If I get a rumor about a location that doesn't mention a unique, I won't get one. If I'm told "... is full of riches. But maybe I'm misremembering." then there's nothing special, either a unique or riches. If I'm sent to a location by a quest, there won't be anything. If I'm told there's an item, even in hesitant language, there will be one. And the part I'm most unsure about : if I just dive into a camp randomly, I can get a unique, but the chance is very, very low.

Pretty accurate in my experience, though I think "full of riches" means treasure (like a ring or goblet or book) but no unique. Quests are even worse than you think, if a quest sends you to a location that has a unique in it the unique will disappear and be replaced by quest rewards.

As for diving into a camp randomly, you'll get a unique if a unique is there, i.e. the game assigns them when the camp is created and then that camp always has a unique unless you get sent there by a quest, in which case it vanishes. So, for example, if you get a "there was a fancy suit of armour on some raider to the northeast" rumour but there are five raider camps to the northeast of that town, you should be safe just attacking all of them and eventually you'll find the unique. If you had just wandered up to those same five camps and attacked them without hearing the rumour first, you would still get the unique, but you might then think "oh, so there's only a one in five chance of getting a unique here attacking camps randomly" when really what happened is one of the camps always had the unique and if you had somehow managed to attack only that one you would have had a 100% hit rate.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Update!

quote:

A couple of bugfixes collected over the last weeks.

Changelog
Fixed 'Broken Leg' injury not applying the effect listed in its tooltip properly.
Fixed remaining fragments of greenskin or undead hordes potentially destroying settlements even after the respective crisis has officially ended.
Fixed incorrect movement speed for player party on world map while using the faster speed setting.
Fixed 'Siege Fortification' contract failing when it shouldn't.
Changed ambitions to destroy orc, goblin or undead locations to only register as succesful and award a trophy item when there is at least one free item slot in the stash.

:toot:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is kind of weird just how fragile Berserkers are when they are by themselves. Just started a new game and with only 8 or so brothers was able to wipe out two group of three Berserkers without even being attacked.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

It is kind of weird just how fragile Berserkers are when they are by themselves. Just started a new game and with only 8 or so brothers was able to wipe out two group of three Berserkers without even being attacked.

while orcs have more health than other enemies in the game, health doesn't mean jack when it doesn't have armor to back it up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
About uniques, different enemy types definitely have different odds of their lairs spawning with uniques or treasure. I don't know what those odds are exactly, but Orc lairs are easily the most likely to have a unique, outside of the Black Monolith and the huge Goblin city of course. Even some lovely cave with some Young and Berserkers in it has decent enough odds considering how easy those fights are. And the large "sea of tents" camps aren't absolutely guaranteed to have an unique, but seem to come with one or even two very often, maybe even in the majority of cases. Only Goblin cities seem to be close to that rate of spawning with uniques.
Undead lairs appear to have more high value treasure instead.

e: Also, you're not guaranteed to get a rumor for every unique, not even if the camp it's in is close to a tavern.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Orc uniques almost always suck though

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Pretty accurate in my experience, though I think "full of riches" means treasure (like a ring or goblet or book) but no unique. Quests are even worse than you think, if a quest sends you to a location that has a unique in it the unique will disappear and be replaced by quest rewards.

As for diving into a camp randomly, you'll get a unique if a unique is there, i.e. the game assigns them when the camp is created and then that camp always has a unique unless you get sent there by a quest, in which case it vanishes. So, for example, if you get a "there was a fancy suit of armour on some raider to the northeast" rumour but there are five raider camps to the northeast of that town, you should be safe just attacking all of them and eventually you'll find the unique. If you had just wandered up to those same five camps and attacked them without hearing the rumour first, you would still get the unique, but you might then think "oh, so there's only a one in five chance of getting a unique here attacking camps randomly" when really what happened is one of the camps always had the unique and if you had somehow managed to attack only that one you would have had a 100% hit rate.

I also had a theory that to get a unique there had to be some type of boss: a necromancer, a brigand leader, something like that. At least, I had never seen one without the other.

And the game just blew up both our beliefs. I got a quest to kill goblins at a location I'd never heard of. I had no rumors about items anywhere on the map. I fight 12 wolfriders, and get a unique helm, so I have no idea what the rules are now. It's "Sir Wilhelm's Helmet of the Wolf." From that name, maybe it can drop randomly from wolfriders? Or maybe there's always a small chance to get a unique and I won the lottery?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I've had a unique drop on a quest, late game. I think the game may only obliterate the good loot at a stronghold if you're weak and it has to re-roll a vampire lair down to a half dozen skellies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I got my cool unique wolf helm for a... I think it was 2 skull mission to clear out a graveyard. No inns involved!

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Forgive me if this topic came up already and I missed it, but it there a reason the devs don't just unobfuscate the code to make Battle Bros mod-able? I don't know much about game design so is it proprietary/DRM/takes more work than it sounds?

Cause man, if there was any game that would benefit from mods its this one. I mean sure, we'd have to put up with the inevitable anime total conversion, but I'd pay the price of a new AAA game just itching to fire up photoshop and make some dank new armor and weapons.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Well I figured my campaign was on the ropes after I lost 5 men in a single battle on day 20 or so. But I have been slowly rebuilding. Recently I hit an abandoned fortress and murdered a necromancer and his army there- sniped the necromancer on the second round with lucky shots. This netted me both a golden chalice and a cache of gemstones, so I made nearly 4 grand just from that ruin.

Unfortunately I spent most of that cash on tools and on a Raider recruit who was very promising (brave, bloodthirsty, talents in melee attack and defence) but got killed by orc warriors a week later. Still chugging along though!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So if I am told that there is something good on the plains to the east in a raiders camp do I just keep on going east and hope for the best or stick in the human territory where raider camp spawn?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hunt11 posted:

So if I am told that there is something good on the plains to the east in a raiders camp do I just keep on going east and hope for the best or stick in the human territory where raider camp spawn?

If you don't have a relative distance from the rumor, just move due east from the city till you hit it, and try to skim off some hills or mountains to increase your vision range.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

Started a new campaign (well actually two, but the first one went down in flames) and am experimenting with being bad guys. I think my third mission or so was a caravan and I got the option to rob it. Instead of getting 200 gold for the contract, I got two stacks of uncut gems which I sold for over 1000. pretty nice jumpstart.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Huh. Had you already done something to make you a baddie?

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

BurningStone posted:

Huh. Had you already done something to make you a baddie?

He probably got the event where some stuff falls off the wagon, the bros notice, and you get the option to either keep going or to raid your own caravan.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Blisster posted:

Started a new campaign (well actually two, but the first one went down in flames) and am experimenting with being bad guys. I think my third mission or so was a caravan and I got the option to rob it. Instead of getting 200 gold for the contract, I got two stacks of uncut gems which I sold for over 1000. pretty nice jumpstart.
If you've got a map with one or two of the noble houses supplying you with everything you need (temple, kennel, good stores and enough civilian settlements for contracts) privateering can be pretty profitable. Especially if the house you're preying on has a bunch of trade goods.

Also, when you're sent to kill some grave robbers, they'll sometimes give you the location of a huge treasure in exchange for their lives. You'll have to fight some Undead for it, but it's worth it.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

OhGreatAGinger posted:

He probably got the event where some stuff falls off the wagon, the bros notice, and you get the option to either keep going or to raid your own caravan.

Yep, it was this. So now I'm playing it up. Stealing goods and slitting captives' throats is how this company rolls.

I should get back to my main campaign soon though. I have a bad habit of starting too many at once.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Does anybody know if there's a limit to the Bro events that improve stats? Like if it will keep popping up from time to time as long as that bro's alive?

I.E. the witchhunter killing an evil spirit event gives him +1 Resolve and Initiative, or that event where two bros(I forget which backgrounds do it) toss stones and get stamina.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Some of them happen pretty frequently. The shooting contest, for instance, or the boulder one (which doesn't check backgrounds, it requires two Strong bros). I've also had a Farmhand get his "I guess eviscerating people is just like baling hay" event twice, which made him go from reserve bro to actually useful despite no real talent for any relevant stat.

So I would assume that they will keep popping up, although I don't know if that's true for all of them of course.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

I love the little stories that happen in events. I had a dumb archer who got convinced to try to shoot the sun and nearly blinded himself. Gave him the nickname "Sunpiercer." This gave the rest of the group a morale bonus from laughing at him.

However a few days later a historian bro took pity on the guy and asked to tutor him. Kaile Sunpiercer is learning to count. :unsmith:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
My first event of my new noble war campaign was rescuing a guy who unabashedly hosed a melon.

Kurt The Melonmugger is now company sergeant.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

My first event of my new noble war campaign was rescuing a guy who unabashedly hosed a melon.

Kurt The Melonmugger is now company sergeant.

I just purchased/started playing this game, and this was my very first random event. I had to read the text several times to make sure "melon loving" wasn't some kind of weird medieval phrase for something else. Nope...dude hosed a watermelon. Naturally I hired him.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Did that event replace the very similarly themed horse loving event which was in before release, or are they both things that can happen? I've still not seen the "melon mugger".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

Did that event replace the very similarly themed horse loving event which was in before release, or are they both things that can happen? I've still not seen the "melon mugger".

I have got a filly fiddler so it is still in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/OverhypeStudios/status/916262547229216768

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So I assume something like the black monolith?

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Glad to hear this game will still be getting updates. Got into it a month back now and I've been hooked ever since.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
K'Chain Che'Malle invasion option?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

They both exist.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks for reminding me that I've thrown 708 hours into this bloody game, Overhype :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tias posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I've thrown 708 hours into this bloody game, Overhype :psyduck:

91 hours here, and I only got it this summer. :cheers:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I think the new challenge is backing their new game because they've dropped development of this one.

Cynically calling it now.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

ZombieLenin posted:

I think the new challenge is backing their new game because they've dropped development of this one.

For the ~30 bucks I spent on this I didn't expect development and content into perpetuity. Do you feel the game isn't complete or is currently in a beta state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

They... what? This game is complete. While I'd like them to add some stuff to it - who wouldn't? - they're done with it. It's a 1.0 release.