Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Chasm of Doom posted:

The Story So Far … 

Ruanon is a remote mining province to the south of your homeland, Sommerlund. Nestling between the sullen peaks of the Durncrag and Maaken mountains, the people of this province have long prospered from their toil in the ore-rich mines, living and enjoying their wealth under the protection of their lord—Baron Vanalund.

The gold and gems that are mined at Ruanon yield an important source of revenue to your homeland. The heavily guarded convoy of wagons that leave the province and journey to the capital has become a regular monthly routine; a routine that had never been broken until one month ago when, suddenly, all contact with Ruanon ceased. A troop of one hundred cavalry from the King’s Guard were immediately dispatched to investigate the whereabouts of the missing convoy. Their commanding officer, Captain D’Val, was ordered to report back to the King as soon as contact was made, but he and his men have not returned: they too have disappeared without trace.

The King has summoned you, Lone Wolf, last of the Kai Lords, to his citadel at Holmgard. Your quest is to find Captain D’Val and his men, discover what has happened to the missing convoy, and to uncover the veil of mystery that now hangs over Ruanon. The King has gathered a company of Border Rangers, a unit of élite scouts, all of whom are skilled in horsemanship and outdoor survival. He has ordered these fifty men to accompany you in the hope that, with your leadership, they may succeed where the larger and more visible force failed.

As you and your men enter the Royal Armoury to equip yourselves for the long ride ahead, you glimpse a black crow perched on a window ledge high above. It flies away, but not before a shiver has run down your spine: in Holmgard, the crow is a bird of ill omen.

Hey, it's Captain D'Val! Remember Captain D'Val?

So it's a totally new mission completely unconnected with the previous ones. We've moved on from the Darklord invasion plot so the world essentially opens up a little bit for us. But before we can investigate this mystery at Ruanon we have some decisions to make.

First, we get a new Kai Discipline. We still have Tracking, Weaponskill and Mind Over Matter available.

We also get a new map, a Badge of Rank, 15 more Gold Crowns and any six of the following:
  • Warhammer
  • Dagger
  • 2 Potions of Laumspur (restore 4 EP each)
  • Sword
  • Spear
  • 5 Special Rations (meals)
  • Mace
  • Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP)
  • Shield (+2 CS)

We already have a Shield, the Chainmail Waistcoat would replace our Padded Leather Waistcoat (so +2 to our current EP total rather than +4), and the potions and meals take up one backpack slot each (so we'd need to drop something to make room for more than one). But vote for what you want to take anyway and remember to say what to drop if you're replacing something we're already carrying.

And once again we can choose to leave anything we don't want any more behind in the Kai Monastery or throw it out entirely. We've still got our Port Bax passes in storage, so we can also get those out and take them with us if we like. I'll leave this vote up a bit longer than usual to give everyone a chance to vote/discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Since we are already past him, the dude in the circle is EVIL! You know this because he guesses the previous Lord in Ragadorn's name instead of the current one, you DO remember that random name that random lady told you last book right? :v: Also yeah the Silver Helm is the big take way out of Book 2 since there isn't anything else like it that increases CS. The Firesphere is pretty good as well though, we will get much use out if it!

Anyway, let's try our luck with a random Weaponskill as well as taking the Chainmail Coat and the 2 potions

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Tracking, Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP), Dagger (drop the Tooth-Encrusted Bone Sword).

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Just voting for the Mind Over Matter skill.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Weapon skill is random? So we could end up with something crappy we don't even have/use? Mind over matter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Since we are already past him, the dude in the circle is EVIL! You know this because he guesses the previous Lord in Ragadorn's name instead of the current one, you DO remember that random name that random lady told you last book right?
Oh yeah, forgot about him. Not just evil but in fact a Helghast sent by the Darklords to kill Vonotar for his failure. He'd managed to imprison but not kill it, and you've got to assume that the Darklords probably sent more than one, so it kind of makes our mission look a bit like a waste of time.

And yes, Weaponskill is with a random weapon. There's a 4/10 chance of getting something that works with the Sommerswerd, but otherwise it's pretty much a waste.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ah, missing the new hat suuuucks.

Tiggum posted:

We already have a Shield, the Chainmail Waistcoat would replace our Padded Leather Waistcoat

I was pretty sure you're supposed to be able to wear the padding under the mail. (And indeed, realistically speaking, you should wear padding under mail, because that's what protects you from having your bones broken. The mail will keep you from getting cut, but it's too flexible to stop or turn aside a blow.)

Oh, and take Mind Over Matter. Weaponskill would be nice with a lucky roll, but a 40% chance to be useful seems like a poor thing to bet on.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Weaponskill. Even if we don't match the Sommerswerd, we get a bonus if we allow dual wielding or if we consider the Sommerswerd to offer a passive bonus to whatever we're using.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

vilkacis posted:

I was pretty sure you're supposed to be able to wear the padding under the mail. (And indeed, realistically speaking, you should wear padding under mail, because that's what protects you from having your bones broken. The mail will keep you from getting cut, but it's too flexible to stop or turn aside a blow.)
See, I assumed the chainmail waistcoat comes with its own padding and the padded leather waistcoat is therefore basically just that part of the full chainmail waistcoat.

Ratatozsk posted:

if we allow dual wielding
We don't.

Ratatozsk posted:

or if we consider the Sommerswerd to offer a passive bonus to whatever we're using.
Nope. You have to use it as your weapon to get its bonuses. You've got to have some limitations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about him. Not just evil but in fact a Helghast sent by the Darklords to kill Vonotar for his failure. He'd managed to imprison but not kill it, and you've got to assume that the Darklords probably sent more than one, so it kind of makes our mission look a bit like a waste of time.

And yes, Weaponskill is with a random weapon. There's a 4/10 chance of getting something that works with the Sommerswerd, but otherwise it's pretty much a waste.

Didn't know it was random until reading this thread! Especially considering the Aeon version with the statskeeper app just lets you click whatever whenever you want.Made me wonder why there are so many options when past the second book there is no reason to pick a weaponskill that isn't sword/bow related.

Like, even considering you could pick any book in the series as a starting point and could not have the Sommerswerd.i don't recall that many different types of weapons being in one book over another so starting "fresh" there's not much point to it either.

Tiggum posted:

Nope. You have to use it as your weapon to get its bonuses. You've got to have some limitations.

It's written vaguely enough to NOT have limitations though! i say we Zoro this poo poo up and wield our holy blade in our mouth while dual-wielding 2 other weapons we find this adventure :v:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 6, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Didn't know it was random until reading this thread! Especially considering the Aeon version with the statskeeper app just lets you click whatever whenever you want.Made me wonder why there are so many options when past the second book there is no reason to pick a weaponskill that isn't sword/bow related.

Incredibly common house rule to allow you to pick a sword.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

See, I assumed the chainmail waistcoat comes with its own padding and the padded leather waistcoat is therefore basically just that part of the full chainmail waistcoat.

Huh. I could have sworn one of the books said they could be used together, so I just kind of assumed the mail was just the metal part. It was a long time ago, though.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's written vaguely enough to NOT have limitations though! i say we Zoro this poo poo up and wield our holy blade in our mouth while dual-wielding 2 other weapons we find this adventure shields :v:

This is clearly the superior option because that way we get the +2 CS shield bonus in each hand for a total +12 together with the swerd. :zoro:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's written vaguely enough to NOT have limitations though! i say we Zoro this poo poo up and wield our holy blade in our mouth while dual-wielding 2 other weapons we find this adventure :v:

Minus the teeth part this is how the crappy PC lonewolf game handles it - he dualwields two regular weapons, the somerswerd just hangs on his back and comes out for special moves.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

vilkacis posted:

Huh. I could have sworn one of the books said they could be used together, so I just kind of assumed the mail was just the metal part. It was a long time ago, though.

Per Dever's newsletter, go for it.

Summer Special 1985 posted:

Summer Special 1985
[Q:] Can the Padded Waistcoat also be worn with a Chainmail Waistcoat?

[A:] The Padded Waistcoat can be worn in addition to the Chainmail Waistcoat; indeed, during the Middle Ages it was very common for soldiers to wear a padded waistcoat under their chainmail to increase its protection and make it more comfortable to wear.
https://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts#lwcnss85

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Looking for the original LP fan art but archives aren't cooperating. Probably best held until end of book 12 though.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Mind over Matter & Chainmail

Edited- Might as well grab a couple Meals if we have the space. Even with Hunting, they're still useful if we need to feed somebody or the book pulls a 'You lose one Backpack Item of your choice' or 'You can't use Hunting here.'

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 6, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yup.
All the weapons are pointless, and we have hunting.
Of the skills, Mind Over Matter seems likely to unlock more unique content than tracking. Weaponskill is worthless because we might just end up an expert spear user or some poo poo.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

achtungnight posted:

^^^

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Add Tracking, drop the Silver Key, take the Chainmail in place of the Padded Waistcoat.

As far as TCOK, I know that Ikaya was our destination, but it just doesn't really feel like much of a 'fortress'. I expected more sneaking by guards (which, to be fair, you get some of) and something better toward the end than "and then you meet a wizard who takes you to the throne room and it's alot of neat stuff that you don't get to see but it was really exciting trust me bye have fun". Although I actually really like the detail about the Helghast on the same mission as you.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 6, 2017

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Tracking & Chainmail

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I really like the Seventh Sense rule that adds in a bunch of special weapons properties, really makes the weaponskill randomness suck less. I also like the houserule that each book you have weaponskill you roll on the table again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Like, even considering you could pick any book in the series as a starting point and could not have the Sommerswerd.i don't recall that many different types of weapons being in one book over another so starting "fresh" there's not much point to it either.
The Magnakai and Grand Master versions let you choose the weapons you're skilled with and you get to add another one for each book you complete. So obviously you pick sword, bow, and who-cares-because-I've-got-the-Sommerswerd.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ulmont posted:

Mind over Matter

Comstar posted:

Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP), Dagger (drop the Tooth-Encrusted Bone Sword).
Surprised no one picked the healing potions. I mean, we've never used any so far, but I always find them pretty tempting regardless.

Endurance: 32/32

For three days you lead your brave company of rangers across the lush plains of southern Sommerlund on the first stage of your urgent mission. The flat, treeless fields surround you with a seemingly endless expanse of wheat, so high that even though you are in the saddle it reaches well above your knees. Your horses seem to be swimming through a vast yellow sea of corn that is only interrupted by an occasional track, or group of isolated farmhouses.

The southerners welcome your sudden appearance, but you only make the briefest stops for food and rest, neither wishing to risk becoming a burden, nor alarm these good people with your mission.

By noon on the fourth day, you reach the Pass of Moytura. Here the plains give way to the broken foothills of the Durncrag Mountains. You soon reach a highway, the surface cracked and full of pot-holes, heading off towards the south. This is the notorious Ruanon Pike. South of the pass, the Ruanon Pike crosses a hundred miles of open territory known as ‘Raider’s Road’. Bandit tribes from the Wildlands and Giak war-bands from the mountains of the west frequently ambush those who travel along the Pike, and the regular shipment of gold and gems from the mines at Ruanon have sometimes yielded rich pickings to these merciless robbers.

‘Point and flankers,’ you shout, and immediately three groups of rangers peel away from the column and spur their horses to a gallop. You watch with pride as the expert horsemen take up their scouting positions to the front and side of the company.

It is late afternoon when a ranger scout approaches the company from the west. He points towards a craggy outcrop where a thin spiral of wood smoke betrays a hut hidden beneath the overhanging rock.

Should we investigate the hut or keep riding?

Rangers: 50
Missing: 0
Dead: 0

So far so good.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Tiggum posted:

Surprised no one picked the healing potions. I mean, we've never used any so far, but I always find them pretty tempting regardless.

Endurance: 32/32

Should we investigate the hut or keep riding?

Rangers: 50
Missing: 0
Dead: 0

So far so good.

Let's investigate, gang!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

A rare moment that Lone Wolf gets actual dialog in these things! As in things that get put into quotes and not just descriptors of what you said because of a choice.

Peep that hut

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

OK, so let's chat Legends a little bit. The books are different for a number of reasons. They include a number of points of view other than Lone Wolf's. Here particularly we see through the eyes of Vonotar, Loi Kymar, Alyss (more on her later) and several other characters. We get the chance to see Vonotar capture poor old Loi Kymar and torture him for awhile, as well as watch Loi scheme with Vonotar's pet giak Carag (more on him later) and a few Icemen in a coup to overthrow the mad usurper of Ikaya. Thankfully more adept help shows up before that goes down.

I'll do my best to fill in some gaps as things go. At the moment I've just covered the Legends equivalent of book 3, 3.5, and 0.5 and have a few holes in my memory to patch up.

Anyhoo, at the start of Hunting Lone Wolf is alerted by higher powers of Vonotar's presence. He had encountered him twice previously, once when he killed Lone Wolf's mentor Storm Hawk in the lead-up to the Monastery massacre, and once on the floating death hulk. He makes his way to Ulnar who arranges the mission and sends him to the icy seas.

A large part of the book is dedicated to traversing the ice and facing what challenges come from it. The baknar (and the oil) comes early on which then sets up the doom of the party, as they are attacked by a kalkoth which preys upon the baknar. This then leaves Lone Wolf to venture onwards alone, and at the moment when he stumbles half-snow blind into a cave which back-doors him into the fortress the book is probably past the halfway point.

While the Firesphere isn't included, the Blue Stone Triangle is as is the Vagadyn Gate. Once Lone Wolf is inside the fortress, Loi Kymar pops inside his head to guide him. This is of course not done in a direct "Hey, take a left there, a right here, come get me!" kind of way but rather a series of teasing hints. It does allow for a few plot dumps like the Gate but it's mostly obnoxious. There are a few other paths of the CYOA that make their way in like Tygon the Helghast as well as picking up some herbs to knock out some Ice Barbarians that we otherwise kill, with some odd twists added. Loi Kymar repeatedly prods Lone Wolf to take out a few Icies with a steaming bowl of Graveweed (death gas) but finally gives into protestations and swaps it for Gallowbrush (sleep gas). Loi then reflects that this was a test and that he would have killed Lone Wolf if he had indeed killed the defenseless Ice Barbarians. Lone Wolf, the last of the Kai, the slayer of a Darklord, the wielder of the Sommerswerd. All a tad CW supernatural/scifi teen drama, but then again this is pseudo-fan-fic for an 80's-90's CYOA.

The final confrontation is pretty similar, although Lone Wolf wrecks the Akraa’Neonor like an afterthought before they warp back to the Cardonal. However the falling action is a bit harsh. The Guildmaster of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star (Vonotar rose from their ranks before going bad, Loi Kymar as well) forces Lone Wolf to serve as defense for the traitor for...not really any reasons as all. He then doesn't skip a beat before consigning Lone Wolf to huck Vonotar into the Daziarn for safe keeping. Our hero then retreats back to rebuilding the Monastery, a suspicious eye towards the Kraan periodically winging overhead.

That's about it for Hunting Wolf. I hope to be able to fill out some characters a bit, particularly Lone Wolf, Vonotar, Viveka (remember her?) as well as some unique to the novels. In order to do this, I do need to finish novels 2-4 which roughly cover books 1 and 2. Thankfully they aren't exactly Tolstoy. If any questions arise during this trip into bizarro Lone Wolf, please don't hesitate to ask.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

If any questions arise during this trip into bizarro Lone Wolf, please don't hesitate to ask.

Just one.

Nah, I know who Alyss is and I'll let you get to her in due time, I just wanted to link that video.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Tiggum posted:

investigate the hut

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Get that hut.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m sure the plot will be in a random hut just waiting for us to drop by...

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

In accordance with Rule 2, go check out that hut. There might be loot!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

An escort of five rangers accompanies you along the twisting narrow track that leads to the hut. The rough stone walls are covered with a damp moss into which is set a curious oval door. There are no windows. You have dismounted and are approaching the door when suddenly a man’s voice calls from inside the hut: ‘Come in, Lone Wolf, I’ve been expecting you.’
Nothing suspicious about that, right? Shall we go inside? Or perhaps kick open the door and charge in, sword drawn? Or send in these five rangers (who I'm sure will all be perfectly OK and make it home safely to their families)?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If he owns the loot then it would be a crime to loot him, unless he is evil and no sixth sense thing has warned us this guy is evil.

go inside

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Guys, put these red shirts on and then go inside.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Kickdown the door like a badass

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I especially like

Ratatozsk posted:

Loi then reflects that this was a test and that he would have killed Lone Wolf if he had indeed killed the defenseless Ice Barbarians. Lone Wolf, the last of the Kai, the slayer of a Darklord, the wielder of the Sommerswerd.

because it's just so dumb.

I hope the rest of it is every bit as dumb. :allears:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
All side characters stand back. I’m going in sword ready!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

vilkacis posted:

I especially like

because it's just so dumb.

I hope the rest of it is every bit as dumb. :allears:

I do believe that Loi Kymar at one point promised to share the secrets of the guild staff with vonotar. He then does so via instantaneous magical means seconds before he passes through the shadow gate. To keep his promise, of course.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well just because you're condemning someone to eternal imprisonment doesn't mean you have to be rude about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Send in these five redshirts!. We have 50 of them, 10% casualties is of no concern.