Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Corrode posted:

And having just talked about reasonable people in 40k, a guy on our club Facebook has posted looking for a game and ended with 'I WILL not fight a Codex army until my Orks get one.'

What a dweeb.

I mean he's phrasing it like a tool, but I sort of agree from the other side, I'm going to hold off on using my Death Guard in my group for a while because they're stomping all over people without a codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Perhaps Games Workshop should strongly consider not charging nearly the cost of a squad of basic dudes for a single character model that cannot even be posed or customized in any meaningful way if it wants to reduce the spread of dudes in China making counterfeit for a fraction of the price and near-identical quality

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ro5s posted:

I mean he's phrasing it like a tool, but I sort of agree from the other side, I'm going to hold off on using my Death Guard in my group for a while because they're stomping all over people without a codex.

Most of the people at my shop don't have multiple armies ready to go so I would never presume to ask someone not to play with their poo poo just because they happened to get a codex already. Ultimately, I just want to throw dice and have fun and make up funny stories about how my dudes are bravely dying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Perhaps Games Workshop should strongly consider not charging nearly the cost of a squad of basic dudes for a single character model that cannot even be posed or customized in any meaningful way if it wants to reduce the spread of dudes in China making counterfeit for a fraction of the price and near-identical quality

They don't care. Whatever the recast market, they've done the numbers and have set the price point accordingly. IMO the only way GW would reduce prices is if technology caught up to the point where 3D printing could replicate the results at the consumer level. In other words desktop printers capable of making GW quality models. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen in less than a decade.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I don't think "if you don't want people to steal your stuff then you should sell it for cheaper" is ever a valid argument for non-essential goods. This poo poo is as "luxury item" as it gets, but by all means pretend you're entitled to play warhammer and rationalize away.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

bonds0097 posted:

I don't think "if you don't want people to steal your stuff then you should sell it for cheaper" is ever a valid argument for non-essential goods.

Counterpoint: the music industry, pre Napster.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also a lot to be said about selling $25 figures that can be converted from $2 ones.

Acolyte Iconward, I'm looking right at you.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I gotta say, the new Mortarion model goes together extremely nicely. I managed to build mine in about 2 hours.

Now I just have to finish my hobby commitment of painting the rest of my Sylvaneth for Armies on Parade so I can get started on painting him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Corrode posted:

And having just talked about reasonable people in 40k, a guy on our club Facebook has posted looking for a game and ended with 'I WILL not fight a Codex army until my Orks get one.'

What a dweeb.

Eh, I feel him. The Index is missing a bunch of the Orks' iconic stuff. It's why I'm painting Biglys right now, I'd feel the same about running Space Wolves until they get their codex.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, I feel him. The Index is missing a bunch of the Orks' iconic stuff. It's why I'm painting Biglys right now, I'd feel the same about running Space Wolves until they get their codex.

Orks are awesome and he's dumb for refusing to play more popular armies.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Counterpoint: the music industry, pre Napster.

Yeah the music industry is doing real great right now too

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
GW could handily reduce their prices in Australia by even 30%, and still be in the realm of 'charging an inordinate mark up'.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Aren't their Aus prices the fault of import costs and local taxes though? Reducing the price would cut into their profits.

Also GW will absolutely not reduce their existing prices because it would harm their prestige.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

a cock shaped fruit posted:

GW could handily reduce their prices in Australia by even 30%, and still be in the realm of 'charging an inordinate mark up'.

This I agree with, though. GW prices poo poo in Australia like they don't even want people there to buy it

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Honestly I think recasts are at a good, beneficial place right now for GW.

Suppose a kid buys a Chinese knight, which gateways into two start collecting Skitarri boxes, some boxed sets, the AdMech Codex, rulebook, $60 in paint and hobby supplies, etc.

A fundamental misconception of piracy is that it represents a one-for-one lost sale. But in many cases the "consumer" would never even consider paying full price for the media or goods.

But it can be used to promote associated goods.
I assume this is why HBO brags that GoT is the "most pirated show."

And consider the fact that the EU paid for a study to prove why piracy is harmful to content owners, and then suppressed it when the report stated that not only was piracy not found to be harmful, it actually increased legal consumption.

I'm not gonna lie - I've got recasts, and every one is something that I wouldn't have spent the money on otherwise. But to counter that, I have way too many thousands of dollars in legit stuff sitting on shelves in my basement, and, God help me, I keep buying more...

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Aren't their Aus prices the fault of import costs and local taxes though? Reducing the price would cut into their profits.
This is what I thought - that, and the $16.88 minimum wage helps contribute to high costs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you think the minimum wage in Australia affects the cost of a miniature produced in the UK then :lol:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Strobe posted:

If you think the minimum wage in Australia affects the cost of a miniature produced in the UK then :lol:

Distribution costs exist

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Strobe posted:

I'm sorry - you don't have to store stock or pay people to staff stores in Australia? My bad.

You probably also think an iPhone should cost like $190, because that's the combined cost of the parts, right?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Most distribution jobs aren't minimum wage. Granted, I don't work distribution in Australia so there's admittedly some speculation in there. Minimum wage in manual labor trends toward performance hindering high employee turnover.

If that has even a 2-3% effect on the bottom line I'd be shocked. It sure as gently caress isn't why prices are literally doubled.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

berzerkmonkey posted:

And consider the fact that the EU paid for a study to prove why piracy is harmful to content owners, and then suppressed it when the report stated that not only was piracy not found to be harmful, it actually increased legal consumption.

I am dying to see this study. I stopped pirating games a while back, but Rockstar owes me :10bux: for Max Payne 3 because after I paid them money, they assumed I was a thief and blocked me from running it with some malware DRM horseshit. I don't have to hold a goddamn seance to contact Ray Croc to ask permission to eat a burger I bought, and I don't have to ask mommy DRM server for permission to use the software I bought. Eat infinite dicks.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm sorry - you don't have to store stock or pay people to staff stores in Australia? My bad.

I don't know the economics exactly, there is about a difference of 22 Australian dollars between the US and Australia for a pack of Primaris whatevers. Or 10 AUD for the Primaris Captain. These are the two first things I clicked on to check. Our sales tax is only 10%. That is unless the GW website lists both in American dollars, in which case it's 38 and 15 dollars respectively.

So if they were just keeping the price up to not undercut their brick and mortar stores (which do need to pay outrageous rents) it would make sense to charge that premium. Everything in Australia is more expensive for whatever reason.

It was far more egregious when they didn't account for our strong dollar. When we were getting something 1.10 USD for every AUD they (like every other company) didn't adjust it downwards to compensate.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I think we can all agree that stealing is the coolest crime.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Lord Windy posted:

I don't know the economics exactly, there is about a difference of 22 Australian dollars between the US and Australia for a pack of Primaris whatevers. Or 10 AUD for the Primaris Captain. These are the two first things I clicked on to check. Our sales tax is only 10%. That is unless the GW website lists both in American dollars, in which case it's 38 and 15 dollars respectively.

So if they were just keeping the price up to not undercut their brick and mortar stores (which do need to pay outrageous rents) it would make sense to charge that premium. Everything in Australia is more expensive for whatever reason.

It was far more egregious when they didn't account for our strong dollar. When we were getting something 1.10 USD for every AUD they (like every other company) didn't adjust it downwards to compensate.

Should compare it to the UK prices, since the US is inflated as well just not to the same extent.

Primaris librarian UK: 22.50 GBP ($29.38 USD, $37.89 AUD)
US price: $35
AUD price: $60

Considering minimum wage is way lower in the US than the UK and import wouldn't be very high, those arguments don't really work here.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I am dying to see this study. I stopped pirating games a while back, but Rockstar owes me :10bux: for Max Payne 3 because after I paid them money, they assumed I was a thief and blocked me from running it with some malware DRM horseshit. I don't have to hold a goddamn seance to contact Ray Croc to ask permission to eat a burger I bought, and I don't have to ask mommy DRM server for permission to use the software I bought. Eat infinite dicks.

Gizmodo article

The site of the German Parliamentary member who brought the study to light (she has a link to the study.)

ANAmal.net posted:

Personally, I don't condone it at all, but I'm not going to lie and say I've never bought a recast either.

chutche2 posted:

Should compare it to the UK prices, since the US is inflated as well just not to the same extent.

Primaris librarian UK: 22.50 GBP ($29.38 USD, $37.89 AUD)
US price: $35
AUD price: $60

Considering minimum wage is way lower in the US than the UK and import wouldn't be very high, those arguments don't really work here.

No, but there are transportation costs and import fees. There is a difference between casting up a Primaris at GW HQ and tossing it into a truck for delivery 100 miles away vs. having to secure a shipping container, cargo space, port fees, import taxes, etc.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 6, 2017

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

ANAmal.net posted:

In the context of a heist it is :colbert:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ANAmal.net posted:

I thought that was arson? Man, if not, I gotta make some changes to my life.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ANAmal.net posted:

I don't lose sleep over GW losing money to recasts/piracy, but it's also denying money to FLGSs which sucks.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

berzerkmonkey posted:

Gizmodo article

The site of the German Parliamentary member who brought the study to light (she has a link to the study.)

Personally, I don't condone it at all, but I'm not going to lie and say I've never bought a recast either.

No, but there are transportation costs and import fees. There is a difference between casting up a Primaris at GW HQ and tossing it into a truck for delivery 100 miles away vs. having to secure a shipping container, cargo space, port fees, import taxes, etc.

Sure, but on the other hand the overhead once it actually is in the US is going to be a lot cheaper than running stores in the UK is. Anyway, a 20% price hike isn't too terrible.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Back in the day, my main justifications for pirating specifically FW stuff was that A) It was overpriced and GW was the current devil, B) It wasn't available in local stores so I wasn't hurting FLGSs, and C) Recasts were better quality than real FW anyway.

Now A and C are less true, so I haven't bought any recasts since I have been back in the game.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

mango sentinel posted:

I don't lose sleep over GW losing money to recasts/piracy, but it's also denying money to FLGSs which sucks.

Yeah I've never gotten a recast of anything that I could've ordered at my FLGS. Half my poo poo is bought second hand but I buy a lot of new product from my store.

FW doesn't inflate prices beyond their usual inflated prices for selling to the US at least, and I've bought a good bit of my FW stuff legitly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah I put orders through my store specifically to support them. I could get it marginally cheaper online, but it's less hassle to have it from the shop and I want them to stay in business so I have somewhere with a great gaming set-up. Plus the owner is a good dude.

Glad I didn't support the previous shop which turned out to be owned by a rapist, though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My store gives you 15% off if you pre-pay on special ordering stock they don't currently have, which is really nice. Sometimes they don't actually order it for weeks though but it's rarely something I'm in a hurry on.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

That's assuming your local FGLS will order FW stuff, so there's that. Mine doesn't.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

ANAmal.net posted:

"The Children will be really happy to hear you say that! The things we 'steal' you're not even using!"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

I don't think "if you don't want people to steal your stuff then you should sell it for cheaper" is ever a valid argument for non-essential goods. This poo poo is as "luxury item" as it gets, but by all means pretend you're entitled to play warhammer and rationalize away.

This post is retarded.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Maybe it's because I haven't played in forever, but I don't understand how to structure my army for detachments and all that stuff. BACK IN MY DAY you just needed an HQ and two troops. I'm trying to play Night Lords, I have bikes and a lord and a sorcerer, some chosen, a squad of normal marines, and a bunch of raptors. I don't know how to make it so I get more command points or whatever, or so it's legal.

I just don't know where to start to make a legal list.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
If you have your 1 HQ and 2 troops, you have a patrol detachment. You can add to that but you only have 3 command points.

With 2 HQ and 3 troops, you're up to a battalion. 6 command points and adding on from there.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

ijyt posted:

This post is retarded.

Actually you should feel ashamed if you don't proudly pay MSRP at your local Warhammer(tm) store for your space man dollies. This is how us in the landed gentry while away our days while the peasants toil in our fields, and we disrespect both the sweat of their labor and the gravity of our station if we go online and buy the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

downtimejesus posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't played in forever, but I don't understand how to structure my army for detachments and all that stuff. BACK IN MY DAY you just needed an HQ and two troops. I'm trying to play Night Lords, I have bikes and a lord and a sorcerer, some chosen, a squad of normal marines, and a bunch of raptors. I don't know how to make it so I get more command points or whatever, or so it's legal.

I just don't know where to start to make a legal list.

What format are you building for? Friendlies, or a Tournament, or what?

For friendlies just take whatever you want and discuss with your opponent what's appropriate for the scenario you're playing.

If you want to go Battleforged (to gain access to Command Points) it's still quite simple:

• Choose which detachment you want to make (e.g. Patrol, Batallion, Brigade, etc.)
  • Fill it with the minimum number of units plus whatever else you want to wedge in there. e.g. for a Batallion you need 2 HQs and 3 Troops, but can throw in more stuff.
  • Repeat with additional Detachments
  • If you're using Matched Play rules, each Detachment must share a common faction (e.g. Imperium, Chaos, Eldar, etc.)

In your case, assuming you have no other units, you can use a Patrol Detachment plus an Auxillary:

Patrol:
2 HQs (Lord & Sorceror)
1 Troops (Chaos Marines)
1 Elite (Chosen)
1 Fast Attack (Bikes)

Auxillary:
1 Fast Attack (Raptors)

True this only gives you 2 CP (none for the Patrol and -1 from the Auxillary) but it's Battle Forged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Anyone with the new Celestine model, what base sizes does she and her pals have?