Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

Jesus christ.

How accurate is that since it seems like a huge deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

bird food bathtub posted:

A completely unsurprising result when one of only two realistically possible political parties goes completely ape-poo poo insane, starts openly supporting white supremacist/nazi organizations and wants to force it's citizenry into bankruptcy, or death, or bankruptcy and then death to give a few more points to it's donor class stock portfolios.

That's part of it, but ultimately the southern strategy is to blame in more ways than one. With the completion of the southern strategy in the form of the Tea Party wave of 2010, parties are almost completely geographically and ideologically sorted. You don't have northern and southern wings of the democratic party being basically different parties that align for strategic reasons. Or, rather, you do have different wings, but even the most conservative Democrats are substantially more liberal than the most liberal Republicans. There's a strong line of argument out there that holds such highly sorted and highly polarized party systems aren't stable, and tend to break apart either naturally or under crisis. Granted, most of the analyses on the matter I read happened before the 2016 election, so a lot of them assumed, as did we all, that Donald Trump would lose, and that breaking apart might begin imminently. As it is, the Republican party is doomed to victory for the moment, but the fissures in our party system are already more than apparent.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Radish posted:

How accurate is that since it seems like a huge deal?

If you want to be extremely generous to a terrible person, Weinstein likely meant that it was too positive for Sanders to be willingly engaging BLM after painting him as racist/out of touch.

Regardless of intentions the outcome is the same; an important BLM message was drowned out by a gun control wedge.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You can be arrested for any or no reason. Depending on what happens after that, you might be able to successfully sue, but you were still arrested.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yea I think people don't realize that police can just arrest you if they feel like it and it's up to you to demonstrate that the arrest was unjustified.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Hollismason posted:

Yea I think people don't realize that police can just arrest you if they feel like it and it's up to you to demonstrate that the arrest was unjustified.

The general attitude is that you deserved it for some reason, police are infallible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

So treat DC v. Heller like the right treats Roe v. Wade ?

Yeah basically.

Heller is an incredibly weak decision that basically means nothing except we can't enact total ownership bans. Ok fine, we dont need to.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

Regardless of intentions the outcome is the same; an important BLM message was drowned out by a gun control wedge.

Gun control is a black lives matter issue. Black people are disproportionately victims of gun violence. People of color also strongly favor gun control compared to whites.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

Gun control is a black lives matter issue. Black people are disproportionately victims of gun violence. People of color also strongly favor gun control compared to whites.

If you polled BLM, I strongly doubt you would see a preference to have Sandy Hook take precedence over police brutality. Let alone be actively used to smother police brutality. Let alone not even be about Sandy Hook, but an attempt to smear a political opponent over gun control in Vermont.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Neurolimal posted:

If you polled BLM, I strongly doubt you would see a preference to have Sandy Hook take precedence over police brutality. Let alone be actively used to smother police brutality. Let alone not even be about Sandy Hook, but an attempt to smear a political opponent over gun control in Vermont.

I agree, I don't think gun control has ever been a clear message from BLM and tying them to that message would not only be disingenuous, it may actually be incredibly harmful in many ways. Let BLM speak for themselves, don't create causes for them. If you google BLM and gun control, you get a lot of stories about white groups trying to co-opt BLM to be a gun control group. BLM should be distinctly what it is, which is a unified voice against state violence against minorities.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

Black lives matter isn't just about police brutality, and it's incredibly cynical to suggest it is as a means to attack your political opponents. For instance, BLM was critical in publicizing the Flint water crisis.

It's not a smear to accurately describe Bernie's mixed record on gun control.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 6, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Black lives matter isn't just about police brutality, and it's incredibly cynical to suggest it is as a means to attack your political opponents. For instance, BLM was critical in publicizing the Flint water crisis.

It was in fact a distraction cause bernie was not in the wrong on the sandy hook lawsuit at all, and attempting gun control through lawsuits is an incredibly dumb idea

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think the discussion on gun control after this most recent shooting should be a maximum quantity that you can own/possess at once. It would have stopped this shooting, it would be relatively enforceable (though you need a national registry to prevent purchases over the limit), and it is "common sense." No one needs 33 high powered rifles. Accumulating many of anything is hoarding, and hoarding is a recognized mental illness.

It has the benefit of shifting the conversation to quantity and minutia (what about people who already own more? What about inheritances?) but is very clear that people should be allowed to own some guns.

This bump stock thing is just total bullshit.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

It was in fact a distraction cause bernie was not in the wrong on the sandy hook lawsuit at all, and attempting gun control through lawsuits is an incredibly dumb idea

:qq: they criticized Bernie! :qq:

Gun manufacturers should not have special liability protections for their products you corporate stooge.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tarantula posted:

So uh, since gun chat is still going can someone explain to this silly foreigner, why the whole "well regulated militia" is ignored? Or what it actually means? Because I never see it brought up in gun debates.

It's an inconvenient bit that doesn't make much sense in the modern context and tends to support pro-gun-control arguments, so it's largely ignored by the 2nd Amendment crowd.

Put simply, back when the Constitution was signed, long-term professional standing armies weren't much of a thing outside of big, rich empires like the British that needed a constant always-ready deterrent and had the money to pay for it. The US states also weren't completely comfortable with giving too much power to a central government yet, and the Founding Fathers were generally suspicious of standing armies as well. As a result, when the Revolutionary War ended, the US disbanded practically its entire army - the expectation was that state militias, raised as needed, would be sufficient to handle most threats. A "well-regulated militia" and a supply of civilians who could handle firearms was critical because at the time it was thought that militias would be pretty much the sole source of national defense.

In the end, that proved impractical pretty quickly, and escalating conflicts with Native American tribes due to American expansionism quickly demonstrated the necessity for a professional national army. But by then, the Constitution was already written and signed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Stereotype posted:

I think the discussion on gun control after this most recent shooting should be a maximum quantity that you can own/possess at once. It would have stopped this shooting, it would be relatively enforceable (though you need a national registry to prevent purchases over the limit), and it is "common sense." No one needs 33 high powered rifles. Accumulating many of anything is hoarding, and hoarding is a recognized mental illness.

It has the benefit of shifting the conversation to quantity and minutia (what about people who already own more? What about inheritances?) but is very clear that people should be allowed to own some guns.

This bump stock thing is just total bullshit.

I think number limits would be fine too, on either arms or ammo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's an inconvenient bit that doesn't make much sense in the modern context and tends to support pro-gun-control arguments, so it's largely ignored by the 2nd Amendment crowd.

Put simply, back when the Constitution was signed, long-term professional standing armies weren't much of a thing outside of big, rich empires like the British that needed a constant always-ready deterrent and had the money to pay for it. The US states also weren't completely comfortable with giving too much power to a central government yet, and the Founding Fathers were generally suspicious of standing armies as well. As a result, when the Revolutionary War ended, the US disbanded practically its entire army - the expectation was that state militias, raised as needed, would be sufficient to handle most threats. A "well-regulated militia" and a supply of civilians who could handle firearms was critical because at the time it was thought that militias would be pretty much the sole source of national defense.

In the end, that proved impractical pretty quickly, and escalating conflicts with Native American tribes due to American expansionism quickly demonstrated the necessity for a professional national army. But by then, the Constitution was already written and signed.

And the successors to these state militias would be each state's national guard/naval militia

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is perhaps useful to note that the people writing the Bill of Rights were, not to put too fine a point on, southern nobility, and the whole point of the first ten amendments as originally written (the editing process, for example, completely reversed the text of the Tenth) was to prevent a federal government that could possibly imperil slavery from ever coming into being. This plan did not pan out.

The Second, in particular, was to prevent the formation of a national army. No, really, why bother paying for a national army; in the South, we have the bunch of people the most powerful plantation owner hands out rifles to, who handle all our defense needs. We can scale that neofeudal arrangement up to a national level, saves us all a lot of money, right?

It was a total failure as designed not just within the lifetime of the man who wrote it, but before his loving presidency. It turns out the Well-Regulated Militia's defense against French and English gunboats impressing American sailors and taking their poo poo is a rowboat asking "uh please stop?"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

Gun manufacturers should not have special liability protections for their products you corporate stooge.

This has been gone over countless times. It's a very bad precedent to hold manufacturers as liable for the actions of a product sold to a third party by a second party retailer. "gun manufacturers are really scummy" doesn't change that.

quote:

To make sure we're on the same footing here, are you saying that this:

Doesn't imply that Weinstein wanted to stop attention being drawn to the Erica Garner ad? Disconnect yourself from the primaries. Not once have I mentioned HRC wrt this tweet. Do you really believe that this memo isn't cynical at all?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
On the pro-control side, I've always wondered if it would be more effective to argue that firearms on the personal level break MAD, that second strike capability is too unreliable to ensure peace through mutually assured destruction.

For the pro-firearns side, I think their strongest argument here would be to argue the the militia angle and cast it in terms like the old Black Panther police patrols, or like the modern Huey P Newton or John Brown gun clubs.
To be charitable and leave aside the already argued racist angle, the main reason they don't is that it comes really close to to advocating violence against the state and its agents, which is frowned on here and elsewhere. Beyond getting you in serious trouble, eroding the state's monopoly on violence by private citizens - vigilantes are a slippery slope to strongmen, basically.

Besides, what the hell are they going to do if they win? Put on uniforms and Weekend at Bernie's

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I don't think it's productive to bring MAD into gun discussion, primarily because it's not panned out that way ever (when someone starts shooting, everyone else runs away, not pulls out a glock and gets in a shootout), and because MAD's record isn't as shaky as one might imply. We're all under "threat" of MAD right now, and the fact that we haven't been obliterated in nuclear hellfire since the creation of nukes is a pretty good argument in its favor.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

I think number limits would be fine too, on either arms or ammo

Even just on a store by store basis. Like one gun per store per year. Imagine the Vegas shooter going to 33 different stores to buy all those guns and filing new paperwork at each one. It would have stopped him, or at least significantly decreased the number of weapons he had.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The best part of the argument for quantity limits is that you can point to the military or police. They both only have one, maybe also a side arm. Any argument against that is tacitly admitting you either do not plan to use them responsibly, or you are an insane hoarder.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

This has been gone over countless times. It's a very bad precedent to hold manufacturers as liable for the actions of a product sold to a third party by a second party retailer. "gun manufacturers are really scummy" doesn't change that.

No it isn't. Bankrupting gun manufacturers, or forcing them to radically change their products so they kill fewer innocent people, also has the advantage of circumventing the 2nd amendment.

quote:

To make sure we're on the same footing here, are you saying that this:

Doesn't imply that Weinstein wanted to stop attention being drawn to the Erica Garner ad? Disconnect yourself from the primaries. Not once have I mentioned HRC wrt this tweet. Do you really believe that this memo isn't cynical at all?

Weinstein is a cynical shitbag. You cannot seriously contend that tweet has nothing to do with the democratic primary campaign.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

No it isn't. Bankrupting gun manufacturers, or forcing them to radically change their products so they kill fewer innocent people, also has the advantage of circumventing the 2nd amendment.

That...doesn't address anything I said there. I didn't say that it would fail to circumvent the second amendment. I said that it's a bad precedent to set for future laws and restrictions, not even specifically pertaining to guns.

quote:

Weinstein is a cynical shitbag. You cannot seriously contend that tweet has nothing to do with the democratic primary campaign.

It's a good thing nobody had gone into the primary WRT that tweet, then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/916340398485852161

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JeffersonClay posted:

What is the special liability protection that they enjoy?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Man representing deer country likes guns

I'm shocked

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

26 page list article, no thanks.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Taerkar posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Lawful_Commerce_in_Arms_Act

They can't be sued when their products are used in crimes, even if that's wholly predictable when those products are designed.

Neurolimal posted:

That...doesn't address anything I said there. I didn't say that it would fail to circumvent the second amendment. I said that it's a bad precedent to set for future laws and restrictions, not even specifically pertaining to guns.

It's not a bad precedent and the vast majority of products are held to the standard guns are exempted from.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Taerkar posted:

That special liability protection that they got originally came about because a gun manufacturer set up an affiliate retail store in an unpopulated area on the Connecticut/New York border for ~*some reason*~ after NYC banned gun stores and over 700 shootings in New York over 5 years involved guns from this store/manufacturer. New York decided to sue them and Congress decided to make it impossible to do.

Bernie voting for it was dumb and he did it because Vermont has a ton of gun owners and affiliated distributors.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Neurolimal posted:

I don't think it's productive to bring MAD into gun discussion, primarily because it's not panned out that way ever (when someone starts shooting, everyone else runs away, not pulls out a glock and gets in a shootout), and because MAD's record isn't as shaky as one might imply. We're all under "threat" of MAD right now, and the fact that we haven't been obliterated in nuclear hellfire since the creation of nukes is a pretty good argument in its favor.
Sorry, did I gently caress up my writing again? Or did I read you wrong.
I was trying to write that unlike nuclear deterrence, with guns it's too easy for an attacker to pull off a decapitation strike and too hard for a defender to maintain second strike capability, so guns aren't able to provide deterrence. Nukes work for MAD, guns don't?
I mean, the conclusion follows the premises and it provides a contrast to the empathy-based approach focusing on the victims that have been used so far. If one approach isn't working try a different one.

Against it?
The assumptions break down when there's more than two actors and you can count on the threat of vengeance, non-rational actors, and advocating the utility of being able to carry out a preemptive strike.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That special liability protection that they got originally came about because a gun manufacturer set up an affiliate retail store in an unpopulated area on the Connecticut/New York border for ~*some reason*~ after NYC banned gun stores and over 700 shootings in New York over 5 years involved guns from this store/manufacturer. New York decided to sue them and Congress decided to make it impossible to do.

Bernie voting for it was dumb and he did it because Vermont has a ton of gun owners and affiliated distributors.

that lawsuit sounds as dumb as the oklahoma lawsuit against colorado for legalizing marijuana

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Condiv posted:

that lawsuit sounds as dumb as the oklahoma lawsuit against colorado for legalizing marijuana

lol, those are not the same thing at all. Literally every other type of manufacturer/distributor has liability in a situation like this; except for guns.

It also works like that in nearly every other first world country.

That is an insane scenario to defend the right of a corporation to have legal immunity.

Bernie-san can have a bad vote. It is okay. It is not mandatory to defend the corporation in this scenario.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

lol, those are not the same thing at all. Literally every other type of manufacturer has liability in a situation like this; except for guns.

It also works like that in nearly every other first world country.

That is an insane scenario to defend the right of a corporation to have legal immunity for this.

Bernie-san can have a bad vote. It is okay. It is not mandatory to defend the corporation in this scenario.

Ehhhh, no. It's been a while since I read that lawsuit but I remember the lawsuit striking me as particularly absurd; the equivalent of holding all car manufacturers liable because, statistically, some cars will be used in crimes.

Congress did pass a special immunity bill for gun manufacturers, which was also absurd, but absurdly unnecessary, not absurdly evil; the underlying lawsuit that the immunity was passed in response to was already a ridiculous suit. It was based on a largely speculative theory of damages to begin with and most likely would have failed anyway without congressional action.

Here's a decent NPR summary : http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/06/446348616/fact-check-are-gun-makers-totally-free-of-liability-for-their-behavior

The only thing the specific immunity law you're talking about really actually does is establish that gun manufacturers don't have any need to cover their guns in warning labels that read DANGER: POTENTIALLY LETHAL.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 6, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ehhhh, no. It's been a while since I read that lawsuit but I remember the lawsuit striking me as particularly absurd; the equivalent of holding all car manufacturers liable because, statistically, some cars will be used in crimes.

Congress did pass a special immunity bill for gun manufacturers, which was also absurd, but absurdly unnecessary, not absurdly evil; the underlying lawsuit that the immunity was passed in response to was already a ridiculous suit.

Here's a decent NPR summary : http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/06/446348616/fact-check-are-gun-makers-totally-free-of-liability-for-their-behavior

The only thing the specific immunity law you're talking about really actually does is establish that gun manufacturers don't have any need to cover their guns in warning labels that read DANGER: POTENTIALLY LETHAL

That's not what the article you linked says and that's not what the lawsuits were about.

The one gun store on the CT/NY border that was responsible for 700 guns used in crimes in NY was being sued because the gun manufacturer claimed that they just picked that location at random because the retail space was available and they didn't keep track of where their guns ended up because they dumped all of their records after one year.

NY sued them for negligence because they continued to supply their retail location with cheap disposable handguns that were almost all purchased to use in crimes in NY even AFTER they were told that about 90% of a specific handgun sold there was used in crimes in NY. Congress granted them a legal shield that made them 100% immune from liability UNLESS they could prove in court that they KNOWINGLY allowed those guns to continue being sold for ONLY that reason. That is an insanely difficult burden of proof that no other industry has.

Even the article you linked says that:

quote:

In 2000, for example, New York City joined 30 counties and cities in suing gun manufacturers, saying manufacturers should have been making their products safer and also better tracking where their products were sold. Manufacturers, one argument at the time went, should stop supplying stores that sell a lot of guns that end up being used in crimes.

In response to these lawsuits, the NRA pushed for the law, which passed in 2005 .

However, Clinton "is not totally off base," said John Goldberg, a professor at Harvard Law School and specialist in tort law. He said Congress was particularly "aggressive" in granting the gun industry this legal shield.

"Congress has rarely acted to bar the adoption by courts of particular theories of liability against a particular class of potential defendants, especially when that form of liability has not yet been recognized by the courts," he said.

At the time that the law passed, the NRA argued that the industry needed the protection, because — unlike carmakers, for example — it did not have the "deep pockets" necessary to fight a slew of lawsuits, as the New York Times reported.

Look at that loving explanation for why gun manufacturers needed a special legal immunity that no other industry has.

Look at it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 6, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Congress did pass a special immunity bill for gun manufacturers, which was also absurd, but absurdly unnecessary, not absurdly evil; the underlying lawsuit that the immunity was passed in response to was already a ridiculous suit. It was based on a largely speculative theory of damages to begin with and most likely would have failed anyway without congressional action.

The only thing the specific immunity law you're talking about really actually does is establish that gun manufacturers don't have any need to cover their guns in warning labels that read DANGER: POTENTIALLY LETHAL

i mean, i could see the suit for the kid having been shot by his friend having at least some merit, and i think it's bad the plcaa blocked that, but yeah suing gun manufacturers for their guns being used in crimes is dumb

as is using lawsuits to try to extend gun control laws (or in oklahoma's case, anti-weed laws) to areas without the same ones

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The one gun store on the CT/NY border that was responsible for 700 guns used in crimes in NY was being sued because the gun manufacturer claimed that they just picked that location at random because the retail space was available and they didn't keep track of where their guns ended up because they dumped all of their records after one year.

NY sued them for negligence because they continued to supply their retail location with cheap disposable handguns that were almost all purchased to use in crimes in NY. Congress granted them a legal shield that made them 100% immune from liability UNLESS they could prove in court that they KNOWINGLY allowed those guns to continue being sold for ONLY that reason. That is an insanely difficult burden of proof that no other industry has.

this is exactly why i said that suit sounded as dumb as the oklahoma suing colorado for legalizing marijuana bs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Condiv posted:

this is exactly why i said that suit sounded as dumb as the oklahoma suing colorado for legalizing marijuana bs

This is, again, not an issue of the commerce clause and you don't seem to understand the difference between consumer liability laws and lawsuits between two states.

It works this way in literally every other industry and every other major country.

The knife, poison, explosives, automobile, plane, and gardening tool industry are not destroyed.

The level of legal immunity they have is unprecedented for a major national class.

• Locked thread