Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

i brutally, unforgivingly bully Griffin McElroy every day of his life by standing outside his bedroom window at 4 AM hollering "PLAY APOCALYPSE WORLD ON THE ADVENTURE ZONE, YOU COWARD." until the cops show up

Same, but with the Star Wars RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

The quintessential Justin McElroy experience is his team frantically looting a seaside village as a horde of intelligent zombies hunt them down and in the background Justin performs Boat Drinks without a care in the world.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Justin "Hoops" McElroy is awesome basically.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What was the graphic novel debacle?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What was the graphic novel debacle?

http://theadventurezone.tumblr.com/post/161367685782/on-the-adventure-zone-graphic-novel-blue-taako

basically a combination of disappointment that taako was depicted as blue instead of say brown, and then people trying to tie blue taako to anti-semitic caricatures of jews having green skin.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
If you don't like the characters for this arc you can just bounce for a month or two from the podcast. It's not that big of a deal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dogsicle posted:

http://theadventurezone.tumblr.com/post/161367685782/on-the-adventure-zone-graphic-novel-blue-taako

basically a combination of disappointment that taako was depicted as blue instead of say brown, and then people trying to tie blue taako to anti-semitic caricatures of jews having green skin.

Jesus christ. I consider myself very accepting, but holy gently caress, nerds... Get off the internet for a while, maybe.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Griff does git a bit pushy in the creation phase, but all 4 of the dudes are pretty trained on him being the leader. Hope he can wind it down a bit and take it easy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SoupyTwist posted:

It was really dumb of Travis to shoehorn in “thinks Remy is a failure” into his character intro. Save character dynamics like that for the actual role play, dude!

Also Griff’s backstory has his character feature athletics and gymnastics heavily so he... works in IT.

also going back to this, part of creating a character in FATE is creating an aspect that is directly linked to how you feel about the other characters in the group. he didn't "shoehorn" in anything, he was literally just doing what the game has you do.

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
What bothered me about this episode, wasn't so much Griffin being a baby about how Travis' character interacts with his, but more so that was still directing traffic. He was the one asking the table questions about how that will interact with the world, and even guiding his dad on when to talk and when not to. Felt like the dude was DMing the show even though he isn't the DM, and it just felt overbearing. I was used to Griffin talking for 70% of episodes when he was DMing (although there was too much monologuing for my taste) but now there's no justification for how much i had to listen to him in this episode. Justin is still the bomb and has the most interesting role playing concepts.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mikey Purp posted:

It did seem kind of weird to me to "hard code" character conflicts into the characters.

SoupyTwist posted:

It was really dumb of Travis to shoehorn in “thinks Remy is a failure” into his character intro. Save character dynamics like that for the actual role play, dude!

Alaois posted:

also going back to this, part of creating a character in FATE is creating an aspect that is directly linked to how you feel about the other characters in the group. he didn't "shoehorn" in anything, he was literally just doing what the game has you do.
I think the best solution for this tabletop-like entertainment podcast modelled on FATE would be for the intra-character tensions/bonds to be cooked up behind the scenes and only known between each player and Clint, to be revealed when appropriate.

It also seems like Griffin was a bit crestfallen that the other brothers adapted the rules of the skills/powers to suit their needs while he basically went vanilla. Maybe on the next one-shot he'll feel a little more loosey-goosey in that sense. But then again, seems like there's always one player in every group who wants things as close to the rules as written as possible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah a lot of "I didn't see that skill"
"Well I created it the book says skill names are just a guideline."
"...oh"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Which is the right way to go, for this kind of thing, but I don't think Griffin got the memo. It's a super common design feature in supers TT games. Like I said, it's one-shots so he'll get another try at chargen soon enough.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Usually coming up with a new skill is something that you collaborate on. Fate games can be defined by the skill lists. Like Fate Core is very different from Atomic Robo Fate (which is what Travis and Justin's characters would work better in) and that's due in part to a radically different skill list.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I don't know FATE that well, but from the podcast, it's not so much that Travis devised new skills/powers, just reskinned them.

Justin's dual aspect thing I'm not sure is mechanically supported but it seems like it should be in a supers game.

e: Oh, right, FATE is Fudge-based. Man, it's been a while since I've seen that one.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 6, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think Travis misunderstood that bit because it does say 'just make your own label if it works well' but it also says 'work with your GM and group to do it'. I think he was just used to D&D's very rigid system and saw 'or make your own if you need to' and thought 'sweet a bit of time to be a little creative with my character for a change'.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Kenny Logins posted:

Which is the right way to go, for this kind of thing, but I don't think Griffin got the memo. It's a super common design feature in supers TT games. Like I said, it's one-shots so he'll get another try at chargen soon enough.

IIRC, Griffin's playing experience prior to TAZ was D&D 3.5, a system where every drat action you can think of is hard coded into the rules, so there's a good chance that's still lingering in his player mindset

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually on that note lets lay off Griffin for a second to drag Travis for that Science! bullshit, that poo poo is so 2007

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Because these guys have been a stickler for the rules so far.

My opinion should be Clint should just adjust his battle tactic. To me this is like a game of blackjack where the dealer can always see your hand. He can make it as hard or easy as he wants. I just hope he realizes how much influence on the progression of story vs action he has.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

actually on that note lets lay off Griffin for a second to drag Travis for that Science! bullshit, that poo poo is so 2007

No, I'm pretty sure superheroes still fight using gadgets even today. Some of them build whole suits out of gadgets, even!

Serf
May 5, 2011

It felt like maybe they should have done more discussion beforehand because it seemed like Clint just said "superhero game" and the boys brought traditional characters not knowing what an odd setup Clint had in mind.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Who What Now posted:

No, I'm pretty sure superheroes still fight using gadgets even today. Some of them build whole suits out of gadgets, even!

you dense fucker. you absolute moron. you loving imbecile.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Who What Now posted:

thank you xkcd guy

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

I don't know FATE that well, but from the podcast, it's not so much that Travis devised new skills/powers, just reskinned them.

Justin's dual aspect thing I'm not sure is mechanically supported but it seems like it should be in a supers game.

e: Oh, right, FATE is Fudge-based. Man, it's been a while since I've seen that one.

I would have done it just by having Kadala (?) as an aspect, and any scene where Irene is transformed gets the aspect bonus on the things Kadala is good at. This way will probably work fine though, it's just a little more bookkeeping.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Alaois posted:

i brutally, unforgivingly bully Griffin McElroy every day of his life by standing outside his bedroom window at 4 AM hollering "PLAY APOCALYPSE WORLD ON THE ADVENTURE ZONE, YOU COWARD." until the cops show up

Who among us isn’t guilty of this, though?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

Who among us isn’t guilty of this, though?

I'm not, and I would never do such a thing.

I tell him to play Dark Heresy, not Apocalypse World.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mikey Purp posted:

Right, a hyper vocal, demanding fandom couldn't possibly hold sway over a group of Grown rear end Men who have limited experience with this flavor and magnitude of exposure. who have been hosting a popular podcast since 2010.
Seriously, they've been doing this for seven years, they've been trying to become better people on MBMBaM for many of those years, and they've been trying to make all their products kinder, more representative, and more inclusive. They did this in part because the fanbase complained to MBMBaM about being rude to furries, transpeople, and the like. "Let's try to be decent" is part of the brothers (and Clint's) core brand, and if they're overreacting to some fan demands at least it means they're listening to the people who have a legitimate gripe. That's one of the things the audience is there for, the sense that the McElroys want to try to include and be considerate of everybody.

I don't think you can add anybody to The Adventure Zone without breaking the family vibe. "You can't say that, you're my DAD!" doesn't work as well if one of the people present isn't somebody who's known Clint for thirty-something years.

e: Has anybody listened to Wonderful! recently? Have they found a through-line?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 6, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember them joking about furries in like, episode 30 and apologizing the next episode but I don't recall them ever doing jokes about transpeople. I have missed about 100 episodes somewhere in the middle though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Seriously, they've been doing this for seven years, they've been trying to become better people on MBMBaM for many of those years, and they've been trying to make all their products kinder, more representative, and more inclusive. They did this in part because the fanbase complained to MBMBaM about being rude to furries, transpeople, and the like. "Let's try to be decent" is part of the brothers (and Clint's) core brand, and if they're overreacting to some fan demands at least it means they're listening to the people who have a legitimate gripe. That's one of the things the audience is there for, the sense that the McElroys want to try to include and be considerate of everybody.

The point you are trying to make is exactly why I made the qualification which you struck through. MBMBaM is popular and has been for a long time, but TAZ became 2-3 times more popular than MBMBaM within a number of months. Not only is the audience bigger, but they are more directly attached and involved with the "universe." You have to recognize that fans of a goof-filled talk show podcast interact with the content in a different way than fans of a fiction podcast with rich characters do. They are definitely walking on eggshells and that while there's certainly an aspect of them just being genuinely nice and considerate people, a big part of it is also a reaction caused by the backlash they've gotten in the past. Not to say that they are or should stop being careful, but just that it can definitely hamstring them to continue operating under the assumption that they can please all the people all the time when the fandom has grown so large and attached to the content.

To me, the main problem with being conscious of and reactive to "legitimate gripes" is that their idea of legitimacy may be a little too inclusive. Case in point that whole blue Takko thing...the brothers probably took that seriously into account and were affected by it emotionally, and I'm sorry but it was complete poo poo and they shouldn't have to feel bad about that.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 6, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/basics

This might a good resource for anyone who wants to know a bit more about how the FATE system works.

http://theadventurezone.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Commitment_PCs

This category has write-ups for the 3 characters, including their superpowers and stunts.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I remember them joking about furries in like, episode 30 and apologizing the next episode but I don't recall them ever doing jokes about transpeople. I have missed about 100 episodes somewhere in the middle though.
the only thing I can remember is one of them making a joke that hinged on it being absurd to have a female name and a male voice on the phone or something? Trans people sometimes have voices that are more perceived as typical of their birth gender. It wasn't particularly bad but they apologized for being insensitive

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

To me, the main problem with being conscious of and reactive to "legitimate gripes" is that their idea of legitimacy may be a little too inclusive. Case in point that whole blue Takko thing...the brothers probably took that seriously into account and were affected by it emotionally, and I'm sorry but it was complete poo poo and they shouldn't have to feel bad about that.

or the "legitimate gripe" that the character named after/obsessed with mexican food wasn't represented as latinx. talk about tone deafness.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My parents named me the same thing as a predominantly black musical group when they knew I was white.

Couple of racists.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 6, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My parents named me after a predominantly black musical group when they knew I was white.

Couple of racists.

Whatever you say, Jackson 5.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Whatever you say, Jackson 5.

Wow, racist much?

-Fat Killah

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

hot take, I think it's good that the McElboys stopped saying things like "man up" but think it's bad that they had to write a novella apologizing for the perceived ancient anti-Semitism in having a character in a fantasy story be blue or green or whatever

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Serf posted:

It felt like maybe they should have done more discussion beforehand because it seemed like Clint just said "superhero game" and the boys brought traditional characters not knowing what an odd setup Clint had in mind.

It could have been worse, one of them could have made a genius gorilla or a space alien character or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Berzerker posted:

hot take, I think it's good that the McElboys stopped saying things like "man up" but think it's bad that they had to write a novella apologizing for the perceived ancient anti-Semitism in having a character in a fantasy story be blue or green or whatever

McElroys are still haven't given us the full truth about (((Taako))) and the heavy amount of Masonic imagery surrounding his character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey, let's not do the parenthesis thing, even as a joke, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Those are taco shells