Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jymmybob posted:

Also did you check that 996 out last weekend?

Yeah, it wasn't amazing for the price, but still worth it, I think. 15.5k. A bit squeaky, paint 7/10, a few other niggles.
Can't beat your 10k one for sure.
Local shop can do LN bearing for 1850, or oil squirter for 3250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-porsche-cayman-gt4-6/
Lower-optioned GT4 goes for 90.5 on a 94.25 MSRP.
The seller showed me the car (since I'm local, I def wanted to see it), and it's not much different from brand new, so while it hasn't been used much, definitely impressive that it only lost 4k in a year and a half. That's going on the seller saying the dealer didn't mark it up; I dunno if he actually got a discount off MSRP.

Looks nice. When the GT4 came out I was a bit too early to get one, so I ended up with a 2015 CS. I love it, but there's a part of me that misses not caring about my daily driver. I think about going back to something invisible for a DD and buying an old 911for the weekend.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kimbo305 posted:

Local shop can do LN bearing for 1850, or oil squirter for 3250.
I know where you're coming from dude, but the sheer number of IMS retrokits with failed bearings is making me think the cure might be worse than the disease in a lot, if not most, cases. Only one I'd consider is The Solution.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

slidebite posted:

I know where you're coming from dude, but the sheer number of IMS retrokits with failed bearings is making me think the cure might be worse than the disease in a lot, if not most, cases. Only one I'd consider is The Solution.

"The Solution"???

And seriously are they starting to see failures on the IMS retrofits? I hadn't heard.

Edit: Oh, this? http://theimssolution.com/ Seems like the best way to go for sure.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 5, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Given the price point, I'm more inclined to gamble on fixing it. The Boxster was always a temporary car, so I felt much less guilty about riding that timebomb, especially for 40% of purchase price. Here, I think I'll do it in the spring. And the differential cost to do the squirting isn't that much.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the fence about doing the one on the C2. It's at 130k miles on the original dual row but the PO included an EPS kit which looks really solid so I'm torn between spending money fixing what isn't broken on a cheap car or looking like an idiot when the IMS goes while I have a retrofit sitting in a box next to the car. I think the current issue with the LN kits is that people think the original ceramic ones are a lifetime fix instead of an extended wear item which isn't helped by LN also having a true lifetime kit that's not always well differentiated. Also I think Raby has been huffing his own farts a bit much after the Solution kit came out like it's the only thing that would ever work.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Doesn't seem like it's so hard to do, if you already have the thing why wouldn't you do it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are you guys doing the 2nd gear detent prevention pin mod?

Jymmybob posted:

Also I think Raby has been huffing his own farts a bit much after the Solution kit came out like it's the only thing that would ever work.
I appreciate both Flat 6 and LN defending their solutions as their form of marketing. It's a pretty simple choice, imo -- risk it and run stock original, replacement bearing, or oil squirter. So makes sense that they would upsell whenever the topic comes up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dave Inc. posted:

"The Solution"???

And seriously are they starting to see failures on the IMS retrofits? I hadn't heard.

Edit: Oh, this? http://theimssolution.com/ Seems like the best way to go for sure.

I was just assuming they were talking about an LSx swap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So Hoovie mentioned you lose 50lbs swapping in an LS, but do swaps address the raised center of mass at all? I wonder how bad it is as far as moment arm from the rear roll center.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Dave Inc. posted:

Doesn't seem like it's so hard to do, if you already have the thing why wouldn't you do it?

The dual rows just really don't have a problem with the IMS and I'm not sure I'm keeping the car long anyway.

kimbo305 posted:

Are you guys doing the 2nd gear detent prevention pin mod?

I appreciate both Flat 6 and LN defending their solutions as their form of marketing. It's a pretty simple choice, imo -- risk it and run stock original, replacement bearing, or oil squirter. So makes sense that they would upsell whenever the topic comes up.

I have the ball bearings to do it but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm also seriously mulling over the CMS shift arrester on the turbo, maybe on the C2 if I end up doing the IMS and clutch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dave Inc. posted:

My rationale is this: I think it's pretty clear the OEM bearing isn't ideal, but it's also not clear the typical aftermarket solutions are really any better. Ceramics, cylindrical bearings, etc, aren't a panacea. Additional to that, removing and installing a new bearing is far from risk free. You can screw up mounting it (any number of ways), even cause damage to a new bearing before it's even installed. Keep in mind I'm saying this as a guy with over 25 years in the bearing industry so I might be a bit biased. I'm not even considering the non-bearing related things that can go sideways during the procedure.

In the grand scheme of 996/986 ownership, relatively few people would have actually gone through the effort of changing them as most people aren't ~enthusiasts~ but a browse of Rennlist and 6spd threads you'll see no shortage of threads where IMS bearings have failed and they were aftermarket solutions. How many were due to a lovely bearing and how many were just due to poor installation? Who knows. :shrug:

Since I have an early 99, personally, I won't be cracking mine open. If I had an OEM single row though, boy, that is a conundrum. I'm really not sure how I'd proceed.

Jymmybob posted:

Also I think Raby has been huffing his own farts a bit much after the Solution kit came out like it's the only thing that would ever work.
LOL. He is a smart dude and knows the M96.X motors very well, but yeah, he does seem to have a bit of god complex. I'm sure he knows his poo poo though, no doubt. Not going to lie though, if I lived near his shop I would probably take one of his enthusiast classes.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 5, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

If I had an OEM single row though, boy, that is a conundrum. I'm really not sure how I'd proceed.

Taking as gospel the 8% failure rate in the suit, and that it could fail without much warning at any point, I really want to do the oil squirter fix.
But I won't feel awful owning the car for a while without doing it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

LOL. He is a smart dude and knows the M96.X motors very well, but yeah, he does seem to have a bit of god complex. I'm sure he knows his poo poo though, no doubt. Not going to lie though, if I lived near his shop I would probably take one of his enthusiast classes.

Yeah, he's still the best but I soured on him when I actually ended up with the C2 which came with the EPS kit and from what I could find he dismissed it for dumb reasons. It has an optional oil feed part that has a really slick implementation but he got weird about how he would never do something like that and the Solution was the only correct way and that poo poo pisses me off because there's no way he could know since he had never seen it before. It gave me the impression he had just enough materials science knowledge to be dangerous and as one of the largest engine builders he went a safe and fairly obvious route but crowns himself as the gatekeeper of all M96 knowledge and technology.

Here's the EPS kit https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade-kit/ and check out the oil feed modification. I was impressed by how simple and effective it should be.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It probably can't hurt, but it gets back to the failure mode of the OEM part.

Are they failing because of improper/inadequate lubrication? Are they failing due to fatigue? Or contamination? Poor factory install or part? Improper bearing selection in general for the radial/thrust loads in the application? Mixture of the the above? Rolling element bearings actually need surprisingly little lubricant for the load film (a properly selected sealed bearing can last for decades), but lubrication also assists with cooling and removing (and unfortunately also introducing) contaminants. The photos I've seen of failed bearings are so catastrophic I don't know if a person could realistically do a root cause analysis at that stage.. other than something blindingly obvious. I would be curious to know if someone actually found one at the earliest of stages and did an analysis.

The IMS fiasco due in large part to Porsches general denial and lack of a proper, endorsed fix other than replacing it with a like part is forcing people to do to shotgun approaches and I'm not sure which is the best way to go.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I believe the working theory is that the originals are grease packed sealed bearings but the engine oil gets past the seals and washes out the grease. If the engine isn't driven hard enough to get the oil viscosity down and regularly sloshing onto the bearing then it overheats and breaks down. It's backed by a ton of anecdotal evidence and theorycrafting but it's the current best guess and sometime I can definitely see showing up as an edge case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I've heard that too. I'm not convinced of it either. If/when the seals start to fail enough to let oil past, any amount of oil that can get through to "wash out the grease" should be ample to lubricate the bearing. Reading threads about people talking about "rancid" or "acidic" grease and the like doesn't really make sense to me either.

That said, if I were to ever did one I'd probably be inclined to just remove the seal from the backside of the bearing altogether and let it be lubricated by the engine... which I guess is in essence what that oil feed kit does anyhow :v:

I am certainly late to this game and there is near 20 years old backyard/enthusiast knowledge into it (some of which are probably engineers and know far, far more than me) so I'm probably not going to help solve the mystery either.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Lmao I just noticed your new avatar

Taking a stand, drawing a line in the sand

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

So I took my 1986 n/a 944 in to get the brakes flushed and bled today by a local shop. I picked it up, and it's idling funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpsxXpEeRUU

It was doing this briefly when I bought the car in April, but not once since then. I thought maybe it would clear up once the car was warmed up (normally it runs rough for the first thirty seconds) but it didn't clear up.

Vacuum leak? Idle control valve (which looks like its under the intake manifold)?

I fixed this this weekend. I believe it was the throttle position sensor. This link pointed me in that direction.

I still need to take it apart and clean it, but to fix it for now I just went WOT while driving and it apparently unstuck. Car drives fine now. Italian tuneup indeed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I still need to take it apart and clean it, but to fix it for now I just went WOT while driving and it apparently unstuck. Car drives fine now. Italian tuneup indeed.

Noice. That's my plan to keep the IMS lubricated.

More 996 qs -- is it normal that I need to unlock the doors with the first door release pull, and only then be able to open the door on the 2nd pull?

What is this, a cupholder for ants?!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

More 996 qs -- is it normal that I need to unlock the doors with the first door release pull, and only then be able to open the door on the 2nd pull?

Is this to exit the inside? If yes, that's how BMWs work, I was always told it was some German safety thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Is this to exit the inside? If yes, that's how BMWs work, I was always told it was some German safety thing.

Yeah, sitting inside to leave. My 986 didn't have that, or at least I otherwise managed to pop the door open on the first pull.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not 100% sure I follow, but I don't think mine does that lock thing as you describe. If it's unlocked it's open on the first pull. Also those cupholders are a total afterthought.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Noice. That's my plan to keep the IMS lubricated.

What is this, a cupholder for ants?!

Check this thing out. I have one in the turbo and it works for pretty much any tapered cups, like say dunkin donuts extra large coffees. http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installsDetail.html?id=16

I don't remember my locks working like that but I'll try it in the C2 today.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah in my '00 C2 you had to pull the door handle twice to get out of the car. The first pull unlocks the doors, the second will let you open the door. Obviously if they're not locked it's just one pull.

I suddenly miss that car very much.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
European cokes are the normal 8 ounce size but they are not in ounces.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Check this thing out. I have one in the turbo and it works for pretty much any tapered cups, like say dunkin donuts extra large coffees. http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installsDetail.html?id=16

Interesting. They're local. Maybe I can swing by since there's no buy link.
I have a 3D printer; I could prototype my own and have it printed in ABS by a service. I'd want one with a bottom shelf for cylinders like my 20oz soda there

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Your 996 doesn't autolock at speed or anything, does it? You actually hit the [hilarious] 'lock' button every time you get in?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

Your 996 doesn't autolock at speed or anything, does it? You actually hit the [hilarious] 'lock' button every time you get in?

I can't remember if I've heard it autolock. I'm not even sure where the lock button is. Oh, the red light with the key symbol on the console? Why is it lit red? Should I read the manual at some point?

Drove it in the rain today, came around a tight but steady corner, heard Alec Guiness whisper to me "don't lift," didn't lift, but still felt the rear end step out a bit. Was ready for it to happen, so unwound just a little bit and got going straight, but the PSM kicked in and waggled around a bit.
For how slow and seemingly undramatic the corner was, the 911 doesn't mess around dynamically.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Gotta say that era's interiors look so dated. I feel like the late model 944s have more modern looking interiors now. Guess that's just the early 00s for you.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

Gotta say that era's interiors look so dated. I feel like the late model 944s have more modern looking interiors now. Guess that's just the early 00s for you.

It's the ovals and general roundness. Quality-wise the 996s, especially full leather ones, are a lot nicer.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jymmybob posted:

It's the ovals and general roundness. Quality-wise the 996s, especially full leather ones, are a lot nicer.

You're totally right. Everything is so bubble-like.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

You're totally right. Everything is so bubble-like.

Check out how nice my 996 C2 interior looks :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Red_Fred posted:

I know the 996 interior is hardly modern by any stretch, but saying the late 944 has a more modern looking interior is just :stare:

Jymmybob posted:

Check out how nice my 996 C2 interior looks :v:
:lol:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 10, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Speaking of late 90s interors, anyone know why the top arch over the dash gauge binnacles in the 986 passes through?

Wonder what the design rationale if any was.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I know the 996 interior is hardly modern by any stretch, but saying the late 944 has a more modern looking interior is just :stare:

To be fair using a pre-airbag wheel and blue interior is cheating :colbert:

I think the nicest 944/968 interiors are better than the base 996 interiors but when you compare the best of each style, the 996 stands out. I originally hated the interior but after getting used it I've come to appreciate the layout and comfort.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just found the first images in a Google search that weren't tiny, but yeah blue is pretty horrid. Either way even an early poverty spec 996 has an interior miles better than a 1991 944, I don't even think it's close.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Let's be fair, a blue interior pretty much instantly dates a car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let's be fair, a blue interior pretty much instantly dates a car.

S2000's came in a blue/blue combo from 02 to 06. I'm sure there's at least one more "modern" example too. Maybe the e46 M3? I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

S2000's came in a blue/blue combo from 02 to 06. I'm sure there's at least one more "modern" example too. Maybe the e46 M3? I can't remember.

There's a ton once you get to the premium brands. Porsche's tend to be low hanging fruit since any of them can be special ordered to fit even the worst taste.

took a while to find but this 996 is the ultimate in factory original color choices (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/972355-any-nephrite-greens-out-there.html)

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 11, 2017