Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

anthonypants posted:

page 1440 does not exist
have a link to 1441 now, does not seem to exist, time to see if there's a ghostpost or if this thread is just permanently off by one

e: mystery solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
a fencepost bug on the terrible programmers thread kinda feels right

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
honestly i thought going to a new page might've fixed it but lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
The key to programmer success is to learn what the bin packing problem and travelling salesman problem are, then convince everyone else that all problems you're trying to solve is one of those and therefore there is no good solution and your code is as good as any other code *taps temple*

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

eschaton posted:

also tef what do you want to do?

pay rent

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

even I have people i can ask for Jaguar advice

I was thinking of my old boss/mentor who does Sonar. He's like, 1 of 3 people in the world that does it at his level.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

tef posted:

pay rent

do you feel like you've reached a point in your career where most jobs want you but you don't want them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AWWNAW posted:

do you feel like you've reached a point in your career where most jobs want you but you don't want them

There's one more step:

When you don't give a gently caress about keeping your job because you have enough people wanting you to consult.
Being able to say "No I'm not going to do that lovely thing way outside of the scope of work I was hired for" or "No, I won't work overtime/meet unreasonable deadlines" and not having the fear of losing your job is amazing. I highly recommend it!

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Flat Daddy posted:

catching up

that's just dev mode you dumb rear end. its for source maps and you have to purposefully set webpack up to do this. it makes reloading faster during development

OK this is kinda mean but js haters are big ol dumb asses in my opinion. sorry

no u

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

seeing luigithirty's posts just makes me want to hobbyist code again but lol im not leaving my full time coding job to go home and code more, gently caress that

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

quiggy posted:

seeing luigithirty's posts just makes me want to hobbyist code again but lol im not leaving my full time coding job to go home and code more, gently caress that

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Flat Daddy posted:

catching up

that's just dev mode you dumb rear end. its for source maps and you have to purposefully set webpack up to do this. it makes reloading faster during development

OK this is kinda mean but js haters are big ol dumb asses in my opinion. sorry

javascript is a really bad language for idiots

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

jokes on you i work from home

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Luigi Thirty posted:

jokes on you i work from home

gently caress u

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Yep, but it's still the only real option for front-end stuff. :suicide:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

darthbob88 posted:

Yep, but it's still the only real option for front-end stuff. :suicide:

what if i told you...that not all frontends are web

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

are you implying retail jobs

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

*points to dilznick*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ynohtna posted:

a fencepost bug on the terrible programmers thread kinda feels right

Powaqoatse posted:

it's kinda fitting that the terrible programmer thread has an off by one error in its post count

:colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but seriously its been there for ages. the posts are there, it's the last-read-count that's off for everyone for some reason.

e: goes back at least to january:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548182&pagenumber=1194&perpage=40#post468330763

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the microsoft thread is currently undergoing some Philadelphia Experiment poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

the microsoft thread is currently undergoing some Philadelphia Experiment poo poo

yeah i hope im not the only one blindposting into it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol i was wondering why the last page didnt work

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

old style javascript is really bad and for idiots. like if you prefer es5 and no types or build process you are a knuckle dragger.

but I'm working on a project with typescript and redux right now and its the best poo poo ever. asp.net on the backend so its the best of all worlds. only thing is its backed by fuckin mongo. once we rip that out I'll be so happy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flat Daddy posted:

old style javascript is really bad and for idiots. like if you prefer es5 and no types or build process you are a knuckle dragger.

but I'm working on a project with typescript and redux right now and its the best poo poo ever. asp.net on the backend so its the best of all worlds. only thing is its backed by fuckin mongo. once we rip that out I'll be so happy.

You're literally insane

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wouldn't call it the "best poo poo ever" tbh but if you use Facebook's stack of bullshit then it's alright. Flow seems like the better choice if you're going to be dealing with React though.

My beef with Redux is that it doesn't seem to factorize very well at all so you end up making GBS threads out a bunch of boilerplate. I did try in earnest to deduplicate some of that stuff (CRUD actions for an API collection) and the cure was worse than the disease so I gave up and just boilerplated that poo poo instead.

I wrote a neat REST server library for Java 8 which I'm decently proud of that I'm going to open source soon; already got approval from my boss.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

You're literally insane

idk i agree with him that mongo is a scar on the face of computer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
react seems like the best poo poo ever if you are comparing it to old school es5/jquery/etc

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 6, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm rebuilding my parents website in elixir/phoenix is hoo boy i forgot how much i like the OTP methodology. i'm not good with it yet but it's such a cool concept.

not having a type system is a huge headache though. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I keep forgetting that I can't rely on the compiler to blow up if I compare different types.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
before i landed on elixir/phoenix i was trying to use akka and went as far as writing a AWS authenticator for it but holy poo poo that framework is impenetrable. way too much work for my parents website and not at all necessary.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:psyduck:

da h*ck does your parents' website do that can't be solved with a plain simple python server-side app talking to sqlite

assuming it isn't a totally static website that couldn't just be generated from like jekyll or hexo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sapozhnik posted:

:psyduck:

da h*ck does your parents' website do that can't be solved with a plain simple python server-side app talking to sqlite

assuming it isn't a totally static website that couldn't just be generated from like jekyll or hexo

my parents run a production company so it's a full blown video content management system that they use to stream private videos to their clients. it does a lot of transcoding/video junk. plus a blog and all that.

but your point still stands. i'm definitely doing this for a chance to pickup some new tech / have some fun. phoenix is actually a decent fit though. akka absolutely was not.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 6, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
should have used asp.net

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

should have used asp.net

i might be taking a C# job. seriously considering it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
stick it in azure and use azure transcoding jobs for the video stuff

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly I haven't found a method for making UIs that's more pleasant and productive than react or its clones combined with typescript.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
server side rendering is better than javascript any day of the year.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

boy c++ it sure would be nice if you had literally any reflection at all

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sapozhnik posted:

I wouldn't call it the "best poo poo ever" tbh but if you use Facebook's stack of bullshit then it's alright. Flow seems like the better choice if you're going to be dealing with React though.

My beef with Redux is that it doesn't seem to factorize very well at all so you end up making GBS threads out a bunch of boilerplate. I did try in earnest to deduplicate some of that stuff (CRUD actions for an API collection) and the cure was worse than the disease so I gave up and just boilerplated that poo poo instead.

I wrote a neat REST server library for Java 8 which I'm decently proud of that I'm going to open source soon; already got approval from my boss.

i disagree about flow vs typescript. typescript has more support in general and even with react and redux and adjacent libraries, I have types for nearly everything.

using typescript I've had a pretty easy time writing nice type safe boilerplate-reduction helpers.
like my own version of this (before I knew this library existed): https://github.com/aikoven/typescript-fsa and the reducer and saga helpers that they link to. my version has a reducer generator that takes a set of async actions and a 3 subreducers and it does type matching and poo poo for me.

you could go a layer further if you have conventions for loading screens and error handling that you use across every component that makes requests. like your reducer helper could just require you to pass the "done" reducer, and it generates started/failed reducers for you that set "loading" and "error" top level properties or something. typescript uses structural typing so you can do this and still be type safe. e: or I guess have a base state interface that includes loading and error properties and all your component states extend that. idk

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm rebuilding my parents website in elixir/phoenix is hoo boy i forgot how much i like the OTP methodology. i'm not good with it yet but it's such a cool concept.

not having a type system is a huge headache though. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I keep forgetting that I can't rely on the compiler to blow up if I compare different types.

Dialyzer and so on, but yeah it's nowhere as strict as an actual type checker.

• Locked thread