Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I never understood the concept of drinking brine along with your hard liquor. Are you people like hangover fetishists or do you just have a single one during the whole evening of drinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

bongwizzard posted:

I never understood the concept of drinking brine along with your hard liquor. Are you people like hangover fetishists or do you just have a single one during the whole evening of drinking?

Multiple, preferably back to back.

Seriously, Jameson pickleback shots are insanely good. It's a combo of flavors that sets it off. Do yourself a solid, and next time you're out, just do one. It's life-changing.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

bongwizzard posted:

Wtf drinking brine?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

von Braun posted:

Wtf drinking brine?

The stuff that turns cucumbers into pickles?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I disliked both olives in gin until I tried a gin-soaked olive. Now I love olives and I don't drink anymore.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

But pickle juice is meant to be a hangover cure?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

steinrokkan posted:

its just proactive hangover defense

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Not even with any of your digestive tracts.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

No idea about that, but the last thing I want when drinking is more stuff to dehydrate me.

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer
I posted somehow.

Redonionking has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Oct 6, 2017

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Would. But then I'm also one of the five people worldwide who enjoyed Pepsi Holiday Spice, the "ginger" and "cinammon" soda.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

No idea about that, but the last thing I want when drinking is more stuff to dehydrate me.

pickle juice is actually hydrating

Alaois has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Oct 6, 2017

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

bongwizzard posted:

It's pretty much a sports drink without the sugar.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NorgLyle posted:

Would. But then I'm also one of the five people worldwide who enjoyed Pepsi Holiday Spice, the "ginger" and "cinammon" soda.

Pepsi Holiday Spice was great.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Hedenius posted:

This is actually a lovely little restaurant in Athens but the owners don't really understand how quotation marks work.

When I was in Amsterdam my favorite sign was a restaurant proudly boasting that serves "Typical Dutch Food"

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
https://i.imgur.com/eCveXTB.gifv

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Reminds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBj4adR9am8

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

My kid had that set years ago. He used to get angry with me because I was playing with it all the time.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Randaconda posted:

what's pasta 101

it's to salt the pasta water

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pickleback chat: this seems to be a growing thing

True story: a couple years ago, I was launching on a river trip and there was a commercial guide on the ramp telling us for some reason at 8:00 am that we needed to mix tequila and pickle juice. A few days into the trip after we'd finished a jar of pickles, we mixed some of the brine and tequila in a ziploc bag, bit off a corner, and passed it around. Wasn't very good, but tasted like something that could taste good if it was done the right way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had my first pickle back way back in like 2007, the lead was cheap tequila. My friends called it a "Puerto Rican Hooker."

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mng posted:

It's pretty much a sports drink without the sugar.

I mean, maybe I've been making pickles differently than you guys have, but this is more or less the brine recipe I use.

1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cups filtered water
2 tablespoons pickling salt
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 teaspoons dill seed
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon red chili flakes

Not something I want with liquor, but remove the vinegar and it would make a good bloody mary or michelada base.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's for fridge pickles. Actual pickling doesn't need anything but salt, everything else is just a bonus.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I had my first pickle back way back in like 2007
You never forget your first

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

on a similar note,

They were good and I would eat them again. :ssh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

You never forget your first

It's amazing I remember, I was drunk as gently caress, and my friend choked me out in front of the bar at some point

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Iron Crowned posted:

It's amazing I remember, I was drunk as gently caress, and my friend choked me out in front of the bar at some point

Yeah, you have to work up to deepthroating or else that'll happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tendales posted:

It's not feasible in every recipe, but usually the best thing to do with pasta is move it straight from the water into the sauce, bringing along some of the starchy pasta water with it, then finish cooking the noodles in the sauce.

I mean, sauce ladled onto plain pasta is fine, but you're just eating two foods that happened to be stacked on top of each other.

I mean, to me the logical end result of that argument is that you should serve sunday dinner all blended together into a meat and vegetable slurry and pour it down your neck through a funnel.

There's a reason we present foods seprately and it's because they taste nice independently as well a together and it makes the meal more varied.

If you have two nice individual foods, you can let the person eating it mix it themselves if they so desire.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Oct 6, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, to me the logical end result of that argument is that you should serve sunday dinner all blended together into a meat and vegetable slurry and pour it down your neck through a funnel.

what the gently caress

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hedenius posted:

This is actually a lovely little restaurant in Athens but the owners don't really understand how quotation marks work.
I pass by a bakery on the way to work that has a sign up proclaiming 'we use "real dough"'. I'm getting my breakfast elsewhere.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Reductio ad absurdium is a logical fallacy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not good at logic.

Just genuinely seems weird pre mixing a dish comprised of only two components, I'd hate spag bog if it was exactly the same texture and flavour all the way through.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Elizabethan Error posted:

Reductio ad absurdium is a logical fallacy
You rang?

Seriously though, cooking is complicated as poo poo and different ways of doing things vastly change the end result. I've got a hefty textbook from when my grandmother was getting her masters in Food & Nutritional Science (Home Ec as a college degree, man the early 20th century was a different place). It's a chemistry text specific to cooking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You finish cooking the pasta in the sauce to get some sauce flavor in the pasta. You add pasta water because the starch will thicken the sauce and make it stickier so it adheres better to the pasta. It's not that difficult and the results are far superior with literally no extra effort.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
no one wants a bunch of un-sauced noodles at the bottom of the dish. Stir it around so all the noodles get an even coating, you animals!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
pasta is technically a sandwich

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

You finish cooking the pasta in the sauce to get some sauce flavor in the pasta.

I mean yeah my mother does it when she makes pasta and I don't find it to be an improvement, it just makes everything taste like the sauce. Like putting too much gravy on everything, which is another habit of hers.

I know it's A Thing but it still seems weird to me.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not good at logic.

Just genuinely seems weird pre mixing a dish comprised of only two components, I'd hate spag bog if it was exactly the same texture and flavour all the way through.
bolognese is pretty homogenous when properly prepared. the meat+tomato chunk glop that is usually called bolognese doesn't count

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

angerbeet posted:

pasta is technically a sandwich

I knew it. It had to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

OwlFancier posted:

If you have two nice individual foods, you can let the person eating it mix it themselves if they so desire.

Two nice individual foods: pasta sauce and plain unflavored pasta.