Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What was it? Complex is suspended now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Post 9-11 User posted:

BREAKING NEWS: The POTUS has not made a Tweet in 19 hours; he might be dead. :rip:

Disturbing, if true.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Post 9-11 User posted:

BREAKING NEWS: The POTUS has not made a Tweet in 19 hours; he might be dead. :rip:

This would be the best TGIF of the administration so far

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dubious posted:

We want allies to be on the same page as us with language that defines our very identity and is frequently used against us, or to misrepresent us. That's why we bring it up. Thank you for taking it into consideration, as well.

Yeah I totally understand, words are important and I am very happy to be polite and inclusive with them.

I do want to emphasize though that "gendered" isn't a verb, it doesn't mean "becoming a gender", it is an adjective. Transgendered means "relating to people whose birth sex does not correspond with their personal gender identity". The language doesn't assume that you "chose" it or "transitioned" into it.

I think the correct grammatical usage is what you said though, "transgender person," but for things relating to the subject, but not a person, it should be "transgendered civil rights."

English is really stupid and pedantic in that way.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Uh why did Complex get perma-banned on twitter? What was this tweet exactly?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Democratic primary results:

Virginia Governor Democratic Primary
Candidate Percent Votes
Ralph Northam (Democratic) 55.9% 303,738
Tom Perriello (Democratic) 44.1% 239,383
2712 of 2692 (101%) Precincts Reporting, 543,121 Total Votes

Republican primary results:

Virginia Governor Republican Primary
Candidate Percent Votes
Edward Gillespie (Republican) 43.7% 160,039
Corey Stewart (Republican) 42.5% 155,716
Frank Wagner (Republican) 13.8% 50,359

2712 of 2692 (101%) Precincts Reporting, 366,114 Total Votes

Worth looking at IMO. The guy that lost the Democratic Primary had nearly 80,000 more votes cast for him than the guy that barely won the Republican Primary. Even if you give Wagner's votes to one of the other GOP candidates it's still like 30-40K short of the guy the Democrats didn't choose as their candidate.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 6, 2017

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Uh why did Complex get perma-banned on twitter? What was this tweet exactly?

He probably said something Presidential.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bless your heart and y'all are the two best things in the English language.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Democratic turnout is going to be ridiculous as long as Trump is tweeting

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Dubious posted:

We want allies to be on the same page as us with language that defines our very identity and is frequently used against us, or to misrepresent us. That's why we bring it up. Thank you for taking it into consideration, as well.

That's much better than I could explain it, thank you :)

Part of being an ally is listening to the group you're an ally of -- if we say "hey, please don't use that terminology" it's probably prudent to listen.

It may not seem like a big deal, but turning transgender into a verb ala transgendered is a misunderstanding of what it means to be transgender, and leads to questions like "how long have you been transgender?"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mendrian posted:

I assume these 'rights' also apply to Satanic or Pagan religious individuals as well.

So if I'm a hiring manager do I get to boot out anybody who disagrees with my personal beliefs? Or is it only the personal beliefs of our CEO?

For real, that clause about the government not being able to second guess anyone's religious beliefs sounds like a opening for all sorts of loopholes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol, just lol

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Gnossiennes posted:

I really just don't get what's so difficult about using they/them/their. It's quick, it's easy, and it's remarkably handy when retelling a story about someone where their gender isn't important.

Likewise, it's easy to use for someone who uses gender neutral pronouns. Eg, Devon is a non-binary trans person. They are also really like skiing. They went to Tahoe last year, and I went with them.

See? Handy.
You're missing the key point of "what ways, no matter how small, can we oppress the other?"

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FizFashizzle posted:

Bless your heart and y'all are the two best things in the English language.

"Bless ?PRONOUN? heart" is the most polite way to call somebody an rear end in a top hat. I love it, bless your heart.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I love America sometimes.

quote:

1/ Trump's advisers are floating the idea of replacing Rex Tillerson with CIA Director Mike Pompeo after Morongate. Trump was reportedly furious that Tillerson didn't deny he called the president a "loving moron," leaving many to believe their relationship is broken beyond repair. Tillerson praised Trump and insisted he never considered resigning in a public statement he made later that day. (Axios / NBC News)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Question - can't NK already hit the west coast? Why are people acting like this is new?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

Question - can't NK already hit the west coast? Why are people acting like this is new?

because it's only theoretical. They've not demonstrated being able to launch that distance.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

RandomBlue posted:

Disturbing, if true.

Probably more disturbing if false.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Chilichimp posted:

because it's only theoretical. They've not demonstrated being able to launch that distance.

If they do test that missile, would that push Trump into declaring war with NK?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mendrian posted:

I assume these 'rights' also apply to Satanic or Pagan religious individuals as well.

So if I'm a hiring manager do I get to boot out anybody who disagrees with my personal beliefs? Or is it only the personal beliefs of our CEO?

"Sorry boss I gotta sacrifice a goat today in the name of the lord. Hail Satan!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I love America sometimes.

Nice, I had forgotten about that website.

At this rate, with today's nothingburger news coverage, my weekend will probably involve going to https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/all/ and starting from Day 1.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/916049239108669445

https://twitter.com/hello__caitlin/status/916010385957806080

:golfclap:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mendrian posted:

The article calls the memo "broad, yet vague" so I assume that's a euphemism for "will get tied up in court for months".

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
do Puerto Ricans that move to the mainland finally get to vote for President?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Casey Finnigan posted:

Uh I grew up in NJ my whole life and have lived in/commuted to NYC for a few years and I have always heard people say "y'all" all the time.

Same - and I am originally from New England and it is pretty common up there too. That said, my closest friend is from Dallas, and when she says 'ya'll' it's like a lullaby. :allears:

Not so much in a northeastern accent.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

He's still doing it

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/916369478006525952

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

quote:

It was unclear how the religious guidance issued by Sessions may apply to a particular policy, pending case, or belief — a Justice Department official said Friday the guidance doesn’t prescribe how any situation should be handled.

I suppose at this point, it is just a declaration of intent. That intent being: Christian freedoms will be protected. Here are reasons from centuries ago that should be applies to the modern world with absolutely no change. Considering this is from the desk of the Attorney General of BibleThumpia and he's got three more years to work with, I cringe. It says 'religious liberty/freedom' but if you don't know which very specific religion is being discussed, you are a foooool.
And hey! The text reformatting makes my title less obnoxiously long! GG lowtax.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"We were all concerned when Trump was elected President and 2017 was a constant ordeal of new lows and dangers but none of us really expected the Old Ones to rise within the first year."

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Watching Ch4 News (UK) and they have Billy Corgan on talking about the existential threat of FAKE NEWS.

He's runnnnnnning

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

:psyduck:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DC Murderverse posted:

For real, that clause about the government not being able to second guess anyone's religious beliefs sounds like a opening for all sorts of loopholes.

Time to tie my nicest, gaudiest colored turban and wear a big ole kirpan on my belt, if everyone gets to ball out with their beliefs now I'm following suit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

KickerOfMice posted:

I suppose at this point, it is just a declaration of intent. That intent being: Christian freedoms will be protected. Here are reasons from centuries ago that should be applies to the modern world with absolutely no change. Considering this is from the desk of the Attorney General of BibleThumpia and he's got three more years to work with, I cringe. It says 'religious liberty/freedom' but if you don't know which very specific religion is being discussed, you are a foooool.
And hey! The text reformatting makes my title less obnoxiously long! GG lowtax.

The one thing I count on the judiciary to do correctly still is to go "you realize if we allow this you're actually allowing Sharia"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

lol, just lol

The 2nd guy from the right does not want to be there

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

"You'll find out" = "I have no idea what I meant because I just blurt the first thing that comes to mind out of my fat pie hole"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Yeah I totally understand, words are important and I am very happy to be polite and inclusive with them.

I do want to emphasize though that "gendered" isn't a verb, it doesn't mean "becoming a gender", it is an adjective. Transgendered means "relating to people whose birth sex does not correspond with their personal gender identity". The language doesn't assume that you "chose" it or "transitioned" into it.

I think the correct grammatical usage is what you said though, "transgender person," but for things relating to the subject, but not a person, it should be "transgendered civil rights."

English is really stupid and pedantic in that way.

Everyone feel free to ignore the following post.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong here, but "gendered" means a gender has been assigned, signalling exclusivity (maybe exclusivity is the key point here). When we gender something, we (abstractly) assign a specific gender to it and it becomes gendered. A particular job field can be gendered because it's stereotyped to only be staffed by men or women.

When talking about civil rights, maybe it would help to pull out "civil." Gendered rights would be those that are assigned only to one gender, like voting was before women's suffrage. Gender rights would be rights for all genders, like the fight for universal suffrage was hoping to achieve.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

He's so steeped in this reality tv garbage that he can't stop. Am I going to abuse the powers of my office to do something awful and destabilizing? Find out after these words from our sponsors! Wink!

We deserve this world

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

So nobody got a screenshot of that Complex tweet?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ought ten posted:

So nobody got a screenshot of that Complex tweet?

no mention of it on their facebook or anything yet either.

just odd.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

At this point the best case scenario is some American Gods poo poo going down that ends with Trump getting outed as The Free Market or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly? Yeah. I'm fine saying "I'm not using 'y'all' because it comes from a bigoted culture and I don't want to be associated with the type of people who currently say it."

Like, using y'all sends up a flag to me that you probably have opinions about The Good Ones who are So Eloquent. And that's not even remotely fair! But we all have our bigotries. I will die on this hill.

Yinz need to calm down. ;)

• Locked thread