Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
With that interest rate and monthly payment, that's about $46,000 in total. Literally 33% of the actual loan paid back in interest. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Also, if he has that much money to do "whatever" with every month, why doesn't have any saved for a downpayment?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

il serpente cosmico posted:

Also, if he has that much money to do "whatever" with every month, why doesn't have any saved for a downpayment?
Most of their recent comment history is in Aorus and Alienware subreddits. Case closed.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Bad With Money: Wanting to purchasing a house within 200 miles of San Francisco

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/74q1b3/home_in_bay_area/

r/personalfinance posted:

Hi, I wanted to get peoples thoughts as to whether it makes sense to purchase a house in the bay area. The market is extremely expensive and I am nervous about : 1) having such a large debt that my ability to save in the future will be limited, 2) that the market is so high right now I will be overpaying and may be stuck in this house for a long time, and 3) the houses that we are looking at are relatively small and we may eventually want to upgrade. It is a dream for my wife and I to own our own place, and we do plan to stay in the bay area long term, however I want to be practical.
The houses we are looking at start at $800K (which is nearly the floor in this market), and will more likely be around $900K - $1M. There are also HOA fees which may be anywhere from $50 - $400 per month. We take home around $10K combined per month after taxes and 8% 401K deductions. Our current monthly living budget is $5K - $6K which includes $2.6K in rent. We have $200K saved up not including 401K's of around $150K. No debt. We are in our early 30s. Thanks for any insight!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

To be fair, good luck getting to ~$200k gross income for a couple anywhere else in the country outside a few other high COL areas. But yeah, it definitely sounds like they are better off renting unless there are significant quality of life benefits from buying a house. That's going to be a hard choice to justify financially at those numbers.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Krispy Wafer posted:

It' unlikely to work in the medium to long term, but it'd be interesting to at least try. There's a way to make these kinds of things work, we just haven't figured it out yet.

This is basically why charities exist (and have mandatory governance and oversight). The financial overhead of a charity is slightly BWM, but just throwing money at people asking for it on the internet is a lot more likely to result in scams.

For that matter, one way goons could potentially help would be to volunteer to do the legwork of finding charities which could help goons in need. (And help with filling out applications, etc.)

BigDave posted:

Haha try Vancouver.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"I hate government oversight."

And then shortly after.

"Why didn't anybody stop me from getting scammed!"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

"I hate government oversight."

And then shortly after.

"Why didn't anybody stop me from getting scammed!"

bitcoin.txt

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BigDave posted:

This is pretty much the case in DC as well. It sucks, but luckily companies are starting to move further out any way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For that matter, one way goons could potentially help would be to volunteer to do the legwork of finding charities which could help goons in need. (And help with filling out applications, etc.)

The idea of a GWM knowledgebase got kind of poo-paw'ed because "privilege" but a lot of BWM is just not knowing any better. Like the guy asking if 10% is a good auto loan interest rate. So I think it would still have value, probably more than inconsistent and maybe counter productive direct financial aid.

There's a lot of big brains in this thread. Just because a poor Goon can't take advantage of investment knowledge doesn't mean they can't benefit from lessons like going to a credit union to get pre-approved for an autoloan before starting negotiations on a car (something I still haven't bothered to do to my detriment).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

What if it's like a 3 pronged attack?

1. Financial literacy and such useful info
2. Helping scout out social services, or actual charities that could be able to help
3. TGRS goons posting their GoFundMe and whatever when they need immediate assistance, such as with Fluffs car situation?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
If you are poor and have money you should squirrel it away and not help other poor people. Most poor people are stable and then get hit by something unplanned (car breaks down, hospital bill, speeding ticket/fine) they then cycle into nasty money lending, pawn shops, late bills + late fees trying to make up and don't get out. Having just a couple hundred somewhere smooths out a ton. It is much better if you are poor to not try to help other poor people and to take care of yourself.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm so confused. Is there a great space race link? I googled it and everything. I'm feeling exceptionally dumb right now. What are we all talking about?

Is TGSR basically goons donating to a good cause?

E: thank you. I got it now. Feel free to point and laugh at me.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 7, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm so confused. Is there a great space race link? I googled it and everything. I'm feeling exceptionally dumb right now. What are we all talking about?

TGSR is a typo for TGRS - short for "The Great Race Space," the subforum Koalas March runs. There is no link yet, but there will be and she'll crosspost it in here.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lowness 72 posted:

TGRS is the posting ghetto in D&D where all the social justice related threads got sent to. There are varying interpretations as to the why, but the most charitable is that those threads need a mod who is aware enough of social justice issues to not do a lovely/discriminatory job of moderating it. (That mod is Koala's March, and she is awesome.)

It's this forum here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=275

Krispy Wafer posted:

The idea of a GWM knowledgebase got kind of poo-paw'ed because "privilege" but a lot of BWM is just not knowing any better. Like the guy asking if 10% is a good auto loan interest rate. So I think it would still have value, probably more than inconsistent and maybe counter productive direct financial aid.

There's a lot of big brains in this thread. Just because a poor Goon can't take advantage of investment knowledge doesn't mean they can't benefit from lessons like going to a credit union to get pre-approved for an autoloan before starting negotiations on a car (something I still haven't bothered to do to my detriment).

I mean, the helping goons find resources is more about using privilege to good ends. One aspect of being marginalised is that you're less likely to have time/energy/resources to be doing that kind of legwork. And frankly, if there's one thing goons are good at / love, it's researching random crap on the internet.

(We could do that in some form similar to the templates for requesting help building PCs in SH/SC, or for finding used bikes in YLLS.)

Koalas March posted:

2. Helping scout out social services, or actual charities that could be able to help
3. TGRS goons posting their GoFundMe and whatever when they need immediate assistance, such as with Fluffs car situation?

+1 to this.

I mean, I have some reservations about the GoFundMe aspect, because it is open to abuse, but so is pretty much any way you can help out people who need immediate assistance (charities, social welfare, etc) and I tend to hold the political view that the good done outweighs the downsides.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, the helping goons find resources is more about using privilege to good ends. One aspect of being marginalised is that you're less likely to have time/energy/resources to be doing that kind of legwork. And frankly, if there's one thing goons are good at / love, it's researching random crap on the internet.

(We could do that in some form similar to the templates for requesting help building PCs in SH/SC, or for finding used bikes in YLLS.)
There ultimately is a ton of available information in these threads already. I can appreciate time and resource constraints makes it difficult to take advantage of that. Maybe some kind of, "I'm poor/marginalized, here is my situation, help me figure out what I should be doing?" kind of thread? I'd frequent it and offer my love of researching random financial/resource crap. It would be similar to how the negotiation thread operates.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

I had to take some time to figure out what this was about as I'd scrolled past a couple of pages of off topic posting.

I think there are different layers to financial literacy and different mindsets that apply. Unfortunately people only absorb the information when they are ready to. However it's worth trying as if you can help even one person out of financial poo poo then it's worthwhile.

There's the most basic advice of don't take out pay days loans, hire purchase should only be for essential items such as a fridge, bed or washing machine and nothing else. Communicating how much interest rates and fees hurt a persons finances might help but again this is information people will absorb when they are ready to. Credit card issues such as high fees and interest rates are important for people to be aware of. Even getting people to understand that making the minimum payment on credit cards is keeping/making them poor. Perhaps a series of basic rules that's easy to understand, but with a separate description so people can read more if they are interested (this is a good way to get people asking questions).

Student loans are a big deal that people need to be aware of. In New Zealand most of the large tech companies, including Microsoft, don't give a drat about degrees and instead want motivated/capable people. Why get a giant loan for a degree that won't help you get a job? Similar to car loans. Why get a $50k loan for a truck when $3000 for a car might be a more sensible idea.

The advice needs to target both those in a privileged financial position and those in poverty. Two very different ways of thinking and worldview but it's possible for both to be BWM.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BigDave posted:

I don't really think this deserves to be in this thread. Yeah houses are expensive there but it looks like they could maybe make it work out. They at least are not just going out and buying something quick snap. They have a 20% down payment. It may not be a good idea to pull the trigger on a house but looking at the numbers and the situation exploring it isn't BWM.

I wouldn't buy in this situation but it is not crazy.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

Student loans are a big deal that people need to be aware of. In New Zealand most of the large tech companies, including Microsoft, don't give a drat about degrees and instead want motivated/capable people. Why get a giant loan for a degree that won't help you get a job?

18 year old Sic Semper Goon would answer: "So I can binge drink daily and contract every strain of VD that is currently floating around Southeast Australia in TYOOL 2008."

Mind you, I never ended up going. :eng99:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sic Semper Goon posted:

18 year old Sic Semper Goon would answer: "So I can binge drink daily and contract every strain of VD that is currently floating around Southeast Australia in TYOOL 2008."

Mind you, I never ended up going. :eng99:

It's okay, there's lots of ways to catch VD :sympathy:

College advice is pretty country-specific though. The US has really expensive college and also a really high rate of industries requiring you graduated from a very short list of schools to even be considered. Even regular jobs love to require a four-year degree for entry-level jobs that absolutely don't require it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

College advice is pretty country-specific though. The US has really expensive college and also a really high rate of industries requiring you graduated from a very short list of schools to even be considered. Even regular jobs love to require a four-year degree for entry-level jobs that absolutely don't require it.
And we also have community colleges to let you get the first two years at a discount, and also private schools with deep enough pockets to maybe be the same price as state schools if they give you the scholarships(read: be poor, very smart, or ideally both), and also several different ways to get funding for school(private loans, various types of federal loans, the maze of scholarships that are often only worth $500-1000 a pop, etc).

e: federal. not feral. Although feral loans is an interesting mental image.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

And we also have community colleges to let you get the first two years at a discount, and also private schools with deep enough pockets to maybe be the same price as state schools if they give you the scholarships(read: be poor, very smart, or ideally both), and also several different ways to get funding for school(private loans, various types of federal loans, the maze of scholarships that are often only worth $500-1000 a pop, etc).

You probably already know this but I try to repeat it as often as possible because it's life-changing information: If you are a low-income, high-merit student, aim high, not for the middle tier colleges. The Ivys are the ones with the deep pockets to give you a full ride.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a relative who is bad with money.

She owns her own business, a sole proprietorship. She recently bought a relatively expensive truck for use in her business (she has a different piece of crap car for personal use).

Here's where it gets funny: she hasn't paid taxes in several years. She is curious if the depreciation on the truck she bought can be used to alleviate the tax burden she will be looking at should she decide to file taxes for the first time in who-the-gently caress-knows how long.

Is that possible? Seems like something that is in one of those gray areas of tax law, but I don't know much about tax law.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I have a relative who is bad with money.

She owns her own business, a sole proprietorship. She recently bought a relatively expensive truck for use in her business (she has a different piece of crap car for personal use).

Here's where it gets funny: she hasn't paid taxes in several years. She is curious if the depreciation on the truck she bought can be used to alleviate the tax burden she will be looking at should she decide to file taxes for the first time in who-the-gently caress-knows how long.

Is that possible? Seems like something that is in one of those gray areas of tax law, but I don't know much about tax law.

You can only depreciate it from the date it is placed into service. Now, if the depreciation causes her to have not income/ a loss then she won't have to pay taxes for THIS tax year, but it isn't going to alleviate whatever was owed for the previous years, and it sure as hell isn't going to help with the penalties and interest for her overdue tax bills.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

therobit posted:

You can only depreciate it from the date it is placed into service. Now, if the depreciation causes her to have not income/ a loss then she won't have to pay taxes for THIS tax year, but it isn't going to alleviate whatever was owed for the previous years, and it sure as hell isn't going to help with the penalties and interest for her overdue tax bills.

Sucks.

Some quick googling and armchair math has me believing her unpaid taxes plus 25% penalty cap will put her at $12k to $15k owed to the IRS, and I don't think she's responsible enough to pay that down without making things worse somehow.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Haifisch posted:

Financial Panther, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irAzLMmbxZg

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoD Security Clearance Decisions posted:

Applicant is 58 years old and employed as a Principal Multi-Discipline Engineer by a defense contractor. Applicant's history of financial indebtedness caused by his real estate investments, his ignorance of the IRS laws, and the downturn in the real estate market resulted in a foreclosure, a short sale, excessive unpaid Federal taxes, tax liens and money owed to a creditor for an equity line of credit. Although he has tried to resolve his debts by obtaining a hard money loan, he remains excessively indebted. Simply shuffling money from one creditor to another is insufficient to show mitigation. Clearance is denied.

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2017/15-06284.h1.pdf

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2016.htm

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or maybe don't get an auto loan, ever? If you can't afford to buy car X with cash on hand, you have no business buying car X in the first place; get something cheaper instead.

Ok there are probably exceptions like there are exceptions to everything, but "don't get a loan for a car" should be the first answer to the "is 10% a good rate" question.

(I want to add a quick thanks to this thread for making me aware that some of my spending habits are terrible. Now to just do something about them...)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
With decent credit even used car rates are quite cheap now, and if that's the difference between being able to put 1500 down on a good 10k used car vs buying a succession of 1500 cars it's probably a good idea.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cars are also something that people may simply need. In many places you can't rely on transit to get to work or do your shopping, so if your car dies your choices may be 'buy a car' or 'lose your job'. So if you're stuck with it, you make the best choice you can.

It's interesting that renting is often as good or better than buying a house, but almost all car lease options are just terrible.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ashcans posted:

Cars are also something that people may simply need. In many places you can't rely on transit to get to work or do your shopping, so if your car dies your choices may be 'buy a car' or 'lose your job'. So if you're stuck with it, you make the best choice you can.

It's interesting that renting is often as good or better than buying a house, but almost all car lease options are just terrible.
Even middle-class people rent. But (generally) only the lower class lease cars. Hence, the very different consumer demographics result in very different consumer markets.

Maybe this is partly because it is feasible for middle class people to buy cars in cash, whereas it is less so for houses?

John Smith fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 7, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Where do you live that only the "lower classes" lease cars?

Luxury car leases are super common here in Canada.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

John Smith posted:

Even middle-class people rent. But (generally) only the lower class lease cars.
This isn't true at all, the most commonly leased cars are small luxury sedans and nearly all high-end luxury cars like Maseratis are on lease. "The Lower Class" doesn't lease a maserati

How can one man be so consistently wrong, about everything, all the time?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There is or at least was a market for cheap leased cars. Like $150/month leases on lovely Chevys.

I have no idea how prevalent those were, but they existed and totally preyed on poor people and I just agreed with John Smith kill me now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

FrozenVent posted:

Bhodi posted:

How can one man be so consistently wrong, about everything, all the time?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have no idea how prevalent those were, but they existed and totally preyed on poor people and I just agreed with John Smith kill me now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FrozenVent posted:

Luxury car leases are super common here in Canada.
Ok, so that is 2 against me and 1 for.

If consensus is against me, then I may be wrong on this. Shrug.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
From about a page ago, but is Aorus like Alienware, but even more so?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Discendo Vox posted:

No, they make video cards I think.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I still don't understand how you guys get so triggered by a posts, that you have to put a user on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Aorus is to Gigabyte like Dell is to Alienware.

Aorus sells high end laptops (they actually are very nice, pretty boutique setups for some of them)