Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Condiv posted:

imo, the most important gun control at the moment is getting guns out of the hands of cops

Agreed. This is something I've advocated many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why do you think the knife, poison, automobile, airline, and explosives industries in America haven't collapsed?
When Michael Bloomberg bankrolls a grieving family to sue Dodge and their local delarship for making unreasonably powerful cars that are marketed and sold to people who want to drive faster than is legal, and that they should therefore be liable for their use in high speed collisions and criminal getaways, I will fully endorse extending them similar immunity.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't trust and am uninterested in moral intuitions.

you misspelled "incapable" you stupid piece of poo poo

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seriously though how would those examples differ from the 2016 case where the act in question was found inapplicable?
. Because that case was about selling to a woman with schizophrenia and selling to someone you know shouldn't buy a gun isnt protected. This wasn't a statistical argument, it was "you were negligent by selling to this person".

quote:

If you've got all this evidence that the manufacturer was intentionally trying to conspire to sell guns for use in crimes, why aren't you filing criminal charges against these hypothetical rat poison salesmen

Because the statistical case for the lawsuit only actually exists for the gun industry and the law in question specifically exempts them from that legal argument.

Well, a lot of reasons, but as relevant to this context, that there isn't so much intentional misuse of their products to the point that there are large numbers of lawsuits about it.

Which is why the "this sets a dangerous precedent" arguments are spurious.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Condiv posted:

imo, the most important gun control at the moment is getting guns out of the hands of cops

Sure, cops and other civilians should not be armed.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Political power comes out the barrel of a gun, comrade.
Always a cool quote, but there is context to it.
The Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the parry.

The Democratic Party must established an armed wing and use training cadres to negate the political power of the NRA. To get rid of the gun, it is necessary to take up the gun.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gort posted:

Sure, cops and other civilians should not be armed.

i think arms for hunting are fine, but open carry shouldn't exist, and handguns and semi-automatics should be banned

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Those situations were specific incidents of pre-meditation in the sale.

- Woman's family calls gun shop and says that she is mentally unstable, provides proof that she has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and tells them that she is coming to buy a gun to hurt someone.
- Gun shop sells her a rifle anyway because she cleared the instant background check and followed the law.
- She immediately murders her father with that weapon.

The CT gun store is immune because there is no direct proof that they had foreknowledge of specific incidents.

- The manufacturer said that they choose that retail location "randomly."
- Even though 90% of their gun sales of a certain type were used in crimes, they upped the amount they were selling because "about 10% aren't used in crimes and they are our best-sellers, so we decided to sell more. We also dump our records every year, so we can't keep track of it. It was all coincidence and you can't prove otherwise."

Ok but why wouldn't this count then

- After being made aware of the fact that over 90% of their sales of a certain gun were being used in crimes, the manufacturer decided to actually increase the stock of this gun because it was "one of the best-sellers at this location."

So at that point they've been generally notified but not specifically notified that a specifc gun was going to be used in a crime? And that isn't enough under the PLCAA?

If so, ok, yeah, that sounds like a problem with the law, but that one case by itself doesn't necessarily mean Bernie was wrong to vote for the law. That was one case out of over thirty, and a lot of the other cases (at least, from what I can tell via google -- you're getting a LOT more fact specific than any of the cites I've been able to find) did not rest on such firm ground intent-wise, but rather relied on things like suing trade associations for "promoting the idea -- which he labeled as false -- that handgun ownership is an effective means of personal protection" , or for just generally selling guns at all given that guns were harmful. It could have been that Bernie saw the 2005 act as preventing a bunch of meritless nuisance lawsuits designed to bleed the industry based on relatively meritless claims, which wouldn't be entirely wrong, even if some fraction of those claims did turn out to have merit. Legislations' complicated and no bill is ever perfect. That's why it's hard for legislators to run for office, every vote gets dissected.

After all, it wasn't just Bernie -- there were over fifty democrats in the House who voted for that bill.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 6, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Condiv posted:

i think arms for hunting are fine, but open carry shouldn't exist, and handguns and semi-automatics should be banned

Even in the UK farmers get to have guns, but cops are not routinely armed

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rigel posted:

Generally speaking, the courts have held that the law does not contain useless, frivolous text unless they have no choice but to assume it does. Aside from introductory paragraphs and preambles, usually when you get to the "law" part of the law, its pretty straightforward without explanations. If you want an explanation, go to the congressional record. If you are convicted of doing this, the penalty is that, this department gets this much money for FY2018 and they may spend it on these items, the Federal government is forbidden from doing this to people, etc.

The militia clause is unnecessary to achieve a blanket guarantee of an individual right to have guns, you could literally delete all of it. Since that is true, it is preferred to find a legal meaning for every word in the entire amendment. Despite this, Scalia insisted that the court had no choice but to conclude that the militia clause was an unnecessary explanation (ie "since we need a militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"), because the alternative interpretation from the left could not possibly be true because at the time "the militia" did not mean an armed force controlled by the state, it meant every armed able-bodied man.

I don't know if he's right. Maybe he is, I've always thought it was a close call and the left's argument was a bit of a stretch, but those arguing for an individual rather than a collective right have a heavier burden because there's not supposed to be dead text in an amendment.
The pro gun control side's argument is untenable because it requires assuming that the framers meant "the people" in the second amendment in a way wholly different from the other, surrounding amendments that explicitly and uncontroversially protect individual rights. One of the reasons the dissent in Heller is such a garbage fire is that it never quite gets around to explaining how one can have an individual right (which Stevens grudgingly acknowledges in his opening paragraph) that can only be exercised when acting in concert with others at the behest of (and with the permission of) the State.

Condiv posted:

How exactly can one have hunting without open carry of firearms? Do I have to draw from concealment in order to smoke deer?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gort posted:

Even in the UK farmers get to have guns

i think it's important to point out cause a couple of days ago people in this thread were pushing for total firearm bans and saying that hunting shouldn't be a thing anymore and we should just make sure everyone has food assistance or something.

that's too far imo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Condiv posted:

i think it's important to point out cause a couple of days ago people in this thread were pushing for total firearm bans and saying that hunting shouldn't be a thing anymore and we should just make sure everyone has food assistance or something.

that's too far imo

Yep, I brought it up that "NO GUNS EVER" is getting overly whacky when hunting still exists and is a really good way to keep your freezer stocked if you live out in the country, a bunch who do so being people that can't afford constant trips back and forth for groceries. Thankfully that topic went pretty well, like there's not really anyone who needs to hunt or else they just die, but hunting is absolutely a good way to be more self-sufficient in a bunch of places, along with growing your own vegetables and things like that.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

A real big issue with gun control is that we don't really have a great idea of what regulations will actually reduce gun-related crime, which at least to me is the real goal. A large part of that is due to a complete resistance to even figuring that out. If you check out TFR they're going to break their arms patting themselves on the back for having a great conversation about gun control but they won't even admit that we have a problem in the US, it's just the price that we pay for freedom.

Also I don't recall anybody saying that hunting shouldn't be a thing anymore.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Have some corporate synergy to make your wall crawling skin crawl:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916317209017937920

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

captainblastum posted:

A real big issue with gun control is that we don't really have a great idea of what regulations will actually reduce gun-related crime, which at least to me is the real goal. A large part of that is due to a complete resistance to even figuring that out. If you check out TFR they're going to break their arms patting themselves on the back for having a great conversation about gun control but they won't even admit that we have a problem in the US, it's just the price that we pay for freedom.

Also I don't recall anybody saying that hunting shouldn't be a thing anymore.
Hunting has never been a protected right at the federal level. There is also the fact that most gun owners don't trust the people pushing for gun control to make the determination about which guns are and aren't "suitable" for hunting.

To your first point, there isn't any significant correlation between the strictness of gun laws and gun related crime, either geographically or over time.

I graphed all 50 States' UCR homicide rate from 2014 against their 2014 Brady Campaign scores published in 2015:

(The Brady Campaign doesn't score Washington DC, because boy would that be embarrassing.)

There's no correlation. Kind of telling that Arizona and California have homicide rates that differ by less than 7%, despite being the highest and lowest scoring states.

A lot of pro gun control people will try to flim-flam listeners by pointing out tenuous connections between availability of firearms and "firearm deaths", but they never actually address overall rates of homicide and assault because the numbers don't stack up. You're more likely to be murdered in California than in Idaho, but if you do get murdered in Idaho, it's more likely that your assailant used a gun than if you had been murdered in California, if that distinction is super important to you.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 6, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Too bad the CDC is banned from studying it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Has Tillerson been shitcanned yet? This gun control discussion has been taking over the entire thread for days.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

Too bad the CDC is banned from studying it.
They're only banned from advocacy, and hampered the unwillingness of a Republican congress to appropriate money for research with a long history of being politically motivated. Insisting that the advocacy ban keeps them from doing important research is akin to the governors of states which refused medicaid expansion complaining that Obamacare failed their constituents.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Yep, I brought it up that "NO GUNS EVER" is getting overly whacky when hunting still exists and is a really good way to keep your freezer stocked if you live out in the country, a bunch who do so being people that can't afford constant trips back and forth for groceries. Thankfully that topic went pretty well, like there's not really anyone who needs to hunt or else they just die, but hunting is absolutely a good way to be more self-sufficient in a bunch of places, along with growing your own vegetables and things like that.

There's also the whole fact that bolt-action guns would probably be the worst guns for a killing spree unless you made some hilarious rude goldberg reloading device.

At the point that you're advocating against hunting rifles you're purely doing it out of contempt for the midwest than for actual safety.

(for anyone curious: don't own a single gun, though if I did it would be the Mosin-Nagant purely for historical reasons)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Has Tillerson been shitcanned yet? This gun control discussion has been taking over the entire thread for days.

Nnnnnope. It's been a whole lot of "oh he's gonna be gone any day now" without anything to show for it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't trust and am uninterested in moral intuitions.

that is apparent

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't see why it's a problem for some people.

Neurolimal posted:

There's also the whole fact that bolt-action guns would probably be the worst guns for a killing spree unless you made some hilarious rude goldberg reloading device.
One of the most famous American mass shootings was carried out primarily with a bolt action rifle and a 12 ga shotgun. (:nws: for graphic picture of a dead Charles Whitman.)

Hypothetically, if we banned all semi autos, and then this happened, would the pro gun control side take the position that, "no, although this is tragic, we've done enough, we don't need to ban more guns"?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't understand the relevance to the Eric Garner case, where the sum total of my opinion is, "jurors being unwilling to put forward charges is not a justicable problem, and not one we can solve without effectively doing away with the jury system, which I think is a bad idea."

it turns out industries being opposed by lobbies on the grounds their products kill people has a precedent, friend

still find it fascinating that police getting to murder people on a whim for selling loosies is the system functioning as designed for you, but confiscating guns, WHOO boy, step too far

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

One of the most famous American mass shootings was carried out primarily with a bolt action rifle and a 12 ga shotgun. (:nws: for graphic picture of a dead Charles Whitman.)

Hypothetically, if we banned all semi autos, and then this happened, would the pro gun control side take the position that, "no, although this is tragic, we've done enough, we don't need to ban more guns"?

In all fairness, I think it would be harder to pull off a 96 minute shooting spree today than in 1966.

E: for comparison, the Vegas shooting happened in about 10 minutes and change.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 6, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Probably a good thing that he didn't have access to an AR-15, then, huh?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Stereotype posted:

I think the discussion on gun control after this most recent shooting should be a maximum quantity that you can own/possess at once. It would have stopped this shooting, it would be relatively enforceable (though you need a national registry to prevent purchases over the limit), and it is "common sense." No one needs 33 high powered rifles. Accumulating many of anything is hoarding, and hoarding is a recognized mental illness.

It has the benefit of shifting the conversation to quantity and minutia (what about people who already own more? What about inheritances?) but is very clear that people should be allowed to own some guns.

This bump stock thing is just total bullshit.
Why would having just one rifle have prevented this shooting? You know they can be reloaded, yes? Why worry about the person with 33 guns instead of the person with just one and a whole lot of bad intentions?

Ze Pollack posted:

it turns out industries being opposed by lobbies on the grounds their products kill people has a precedent, friend

still find it fascinating that police getting to murder people on a whim for selling loosies is the system functioning as designed for you, but confiscating guns, WHOO boy, step too far
What's your alternative to the system we have now? Do think that prosecutors having unfettered ability to bring charges is going to work out better, or worse for minority defendants?

Majorian posted:

Probably a good thing that he didn't have access to an AR-15, then, huh?
He had a semi automatic rifle with him, but it turns out that the rifle you would use for deer or elk is entirely sufficient for killing humans when you put a lot of thought into your murder spree. Again, trying to limit mass shootings by playing whack-a-mole with what sort of weapon the perpetrator can use is foolish when we could actually address the problems that cause people to become mass shooters in the first place.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

In all fairness, I think it would be harder to pull off a 96 minute shooting spree today than in 1966.

E: for comparison, the Vegas shooting happened in about 10 minutes and change.
Are you sure about that? Breivik went an hour and 12 minutes from the first shots being fired on Utřya to being apprehended by police.

Again, this whole "well, maybe if we place rules about what sort of firearms people are allowed to use on their rampage" thing is missing the forest for the trees because the only solution a lot of people can grasp for gun violence is, "ban certain guns."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wrong, my solution is to ban Dead Reckoning,

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Does DR even have a proposal to deal with gun violence? Or cops shooting unarmed people?

:allears:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RevKrule posted:

Have some corporate synergy to make your wall crawling skin crawl:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916317209017937920

They better be announcing iron Man suits you can buy for personal use. Don't need to regulate guns if everyone is bullet proof.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Does DR even have a proposal to deal with gun violence? Or cops shooting unarmed people?

Those are features, not problems.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

-Decrease poverty
-Increase availability of mental health care
-Decrease stigma of mental illness (probably not possible.)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

C2C - 2.0 posted:

"the problems are bad. but the causes... the causes are very good!"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

He had a semi automatic rifle with him, but it turns out that the rifle you would use for deer or elk is entirely sufficient for killing humans when you put a lot of thought into your murder spree. Again, trying to limit mass shootings by playing whack-a-mole with what sort of weapon the perpetrator can use is foolish when we could actually address the problems that cause people to become mass shooters in the first place.

No he didn't, he had an M1 Carbine which fires underpowered .30 and is pretty loving useless for that sort of standoff shooting. And he killed 15 people in the course of 96 minutes instead of ~60 in the course of 17 minutes. Trying to argue that a bolt action rifle is as effective at mass killing as a AR15 or similar with 30rnd box magazines is dumb as poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Whitman was an accomplished marine marksman, your average whoever's unlikely to be nailing people with a bolt action with the efficiency he had.

"During Whitman's initial 18-month service in 1959 and 1960, he earned a Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, a Sharpshooter's Badge, and the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. He achieved 215 of 250 possible points on marksmanship tests, doing well when shooting rapidly over long distances as well as at moving targets."

Also

Jarmak posted:

No he didn't, he had an M1 Carbine which fires underpowered .30 and is pretty loving useless for that sort of standoff shooting. And he killed 15 people in the course of 96 minutes instead of ~60 in the course of 17 minutes. Trying to argue that a bolt action rifle is as effective at mass killing as a AR15 or similar with 30rnd box magazines is dumb as poo poo.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 6, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Jarmak jumping into a conversation about guns right after DR is not surprising, but he's doing it to call him a dumbass?!?! :popeye:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
[quote="“Lemming”" post="“477128228”"]
Jarmak jumping into a conversation about guns right after DR is not surprising, but he’s doing it to call him a dumbass?!?! :popeye:
[/quote]

There's been a break in the space-time continuum.

I always though they were the same person.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
[quote="“Dead Reckoning”" post="“477128002”"]
-Decrease poverty
-Increase availability of mental health care
-Decrease stigma of mental illness (probably not possible.)
[/quote]

Poor folks, handle your poo poo so cops don't shoot you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jarmak posted:

No he didn't, he had an M1 Carbine which fires underpowered .30 and is pretty loving useless for that sort of standoff shooting.
An M-1 carbine is a semiautomatic rifle, IDK how else you want to define that. My comment was specifically in response to the idea that outlawing semiautomatic rifles but allowing "hunting guns" would prevent deadly mass shootings. Which it would not.

Nevvy Z posted:

That's why we get rid of EVERYONE's guns.
Yeah, I'd rather not go back to the state of affairs where personal security is only a prerogative of the strong.

Potato Salad posted:

eat poo poo

im glad that the fact that their deaths were unlikely is comfort for the dead and their families

eat poo poo endlessly

my deepest regret right now is that you aren't suffering for this post
"All these people died on 9/11, imagine how their families must feel! We need to do ~something~! It doesn't matter if it actually helps, I want a large, visible show of activity to soothe my worry that something isn't being done! TSA and PRISM now!" That's you.

Trabisnikof posted:

Because as an absolute, the law against murder restricts my freedom to lash out angrily. "All freedoms, drat the cost" is Might Makes Right and so yeah it is a pretty monsterous ideology.
I'm OK with punishing people who actually murder other people or put their lives at imminent risk, rather than trying to keep anyone from having the means to harm anyone else.
"Laws should be narrowly tailored to use the least restrictive means to achieve legitimate government purposes, and should actually significantly achieve those ends." - clearly the thought process of a sociopath.

Doctor Butts posted:

"Hey I didn't come here to argue about how to best control gun violence. I'm just here to tell you that guns aren't the problem and you should not do anything to prevent people from getting any kind of weapon"

Boy these arguments are sure useful, DR, Jackal, et. al.
Gun control isn't going to reduce violence. I'm sorry that your totemic, emotional, culture war issue has no validity.

We already know what we have to do to control violence. Remember those charts of gun ownership vs homicide rate with no correlation? Here's one for you:

Both across states and internationally, poverty is strongly correlated with violence. You could give bazookas and machine guns to every citizen of Luxembourg or Monaco, and they aren't going to run out of their homes to reenact Team Fortress on the cobblestone streets. I haven't done a chart for income inequality, but I would be unsurprised to see a correlation. At the end of the day, solving violence involves addressing the intractable issues that drive a lot of other social maladies, but you can't blame rednecks for that (except by screaming at them that they voted wrong.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

There's been a break in the space-time continuum.

I always though they were the same person.
I am Jack's circular discussion about whether or not designer's intent matters.

• Locked thread