Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

Wouldn't banning the purchase of assault rifles count as "mandatory self-discipline"?

The word "mandatory" suggests that Lester thinks anyone who cannot provably demonstrate these qualities (by some sort of "background check" perhaps) should not be allowed to purchase or own a firearm. Didn't know Mike Lester was such a gun-control fanatic :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sagebrush posted:

This guy really needs to quit "drawing" comics and just get a blog.

have a random first dog, just for you! :toot:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Mandatory morality"? So Lester hates "big gubmint", but he wants the government to mandate that people adhere to arbitrary moral standards.

"It is literally TYRANNY to regulate guns! All REAL AMERICANS should get a morality chip implant that delivers powerful electric shocks directly to the brain stem whenever they have immoral thoughts! THAT'S freedom Libtard!!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

loquacius posted:

The word "mandatory" suggests that Lester thinks anyone who cannot provably demonstrate these qualities (by some sort of "background check" perhaps) should not be allowed to purchase or own a firearm. Didn't know Mike Lester was such a gun-control fanatic :eyepop:

Didnt display much self discipline when he beat his wife.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Trogdos! posted:

e: Ben added more to the quote

Ben Garrison posted:

the insane clowns

Ben is just mad that the real Clown Posse is solidly anti-Nazi.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

"Mandatory morality"? So Lester hates "big gubmint", but he wants the government to mandate that people adhere to arbitrary moral standards.

I'm okay with this. We can just establish mandatory morality for all immigrants. No need for any more thorough vetting. Good trade.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm okay with this. We can just establish mandatory morality for all immigrants. No need for any more thorough vetting. Good trade.

Patch it to CEOs and government workers first.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ooooh, I hope we get to see some of the angry hatemail he'll get for this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bombadilillo posted:

They masterminded Trump being the President? Or is he the noble underdog defeating the conspiracy.

Almost both.
See, Hillary/Obama/The Deep State/The Jews/The New World Order/RINOs/Anybody politically Left of Alex Jones - They all rigged the election. Orchestrated it perfectly.

But, what they didn't account for was Trump being such a champion of the people that record breaking numbers of people voted for him en masse, and managed to overturn all of the illegally generated welfare votes.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

frankenfreak posted:

Ooooh, I hope we get to see some of the angry hatemail he'll get for this.

Behold, the LA Times comments section:

Getitupya posted:

What a wizard! Only Horsey could work in an illegal alien amnesty angle into a story in which he attempts to rewrite history.

The Civil War was fought for economic reasons, not to end slavery.

Thank you, LAT for re-educating people as to what the Civil War was all about... and for deleting comments alerting your uneducated readers to the fact.

Brainwashed_In_Church posted:

Totally wrong comparison. Yesterday's was against slavery. Nobody, not even the most hard core white supremacists (all 69 of them) would argue that. Today's is the failure of blacks to make economic progress despite the trillions (and 230 bonus SAT points) spent to help them out. Bad grades lead to bad jobs or no jobs which leads to poverty which leads to crime which leads to police interaction. Blacks are leading the league in all categories. With more crime comes more police interaction. It isn't the cops' fault. They're reacting to crime which comes as a result of poverty which comes as a result of no jobs which comes as a result of low education levels which comes as a result of {you can fill in the blank}. Racism is just an excuse blacks make.

Bob Chimps posted:

Mr Horsey should try taking a walk down in Compton some time. Might change his perspective.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sandpuppy posted:

Wouldn't banning the purchase of assault rifles count as "mandatory self-discipline"?
So... having the government regulate morality is less intrusive and oppressive, to Lester, than limiting the types of firearms available?? Better to control what people think than take assault rifles off the market?
Also what the gently caress is "mandatory self-discipline"? It's not really "self" if it's forcefully imposed, now is it?

Thank god this cartoonist never immediately politicized a tragedy or anything.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yes. That has always been the conservative dogma.

And by the way, the arbitrary moral standards have nothing to do with guns anyway, here they are:
  • Homosexuality is immoral
  • Atheism is immoral
  • Contraception and abortion are immoral
  • Miscegenation is immoral
  • Labor unions are immoral
  • Teaching the theory of evolution is immoral
  • Paying taxes is immoral
  • Poor people are immoral, helping them is even more so
  • Minorities in general are immoral
  • Beating your wife is moral
  • Burning witches is moral
  • Lynching negros is moral

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Instant Sunrise posted:

Behold, the LA Times comments section:
Second Guy: Not even the most brainwashed white supremacist would say it wasn't about slavery.
First Guy: The civil war wasn't about slavery.
This is too perfect.

God these three responses alone are some kind of bingo. "The civil war wasn't about slavery" is practically a whole row on its own. The other one implies blacks are genetically deficient and then says "Racism is just an excuse blacks make" without the slightest hint of irony.
But Christ, nothing quite like "oh you're sympathetic to black people? Why don't you spend 30 seconds in a black neighborhood??? That'll change your tune!!" Like black neighborhoods are constant active war zones where you'll get beaten to death just for being white and trying to walk through, because black people are wild, insane, violent animals. You might as well be dropped into a river full of piranhas!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

What a wizard! Only Horsey could work in an illegal alien amnesty angle into a story in which he attempts to rewrite history.
what?
how is BLM an "illegal alien amnesty angle"?
I guess the poster thinks African Americans never should have gotten citizenship?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Mandatory self discipline is pretty much just laws. You have to stop yourself from doing illegal poo poo.

Mandatory morality on the other hand sounds just like the kinda freedom the US needs :freep:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

sheep-dodger posted:

what?
how is BLM an "illegal alien amnesty angle"?
I guess the poster thinks African Americans never should have gotten citizenship?

In the article that accompanied the cartoon, Horsey talks about visiting Gettysburg and having a friend who's a Dreamer with him.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

And here's Eric Allie with your dose of Madigan bad whoa wait...Rauner bad?

I believe the reflection is the state's previous governor, Pat Quinn, who was a democrat and therefore Bad. But an Illinoisan can let us know for sure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Second Guy: Not even the most brainwashed white supremacist would say it wasn't about slavery.
First Guy: The civil war wasn't about slavery.
This is too perfect.

The most succinct way to put it, I think is:

If you know nothing about the civil war, you know it was about slavery.
If you know a little about the civil war, you know it was about states' rights.
If you know a lot about the civil war, you know it was about slavery.

The problem is that segment of dunning-krugerrites in the middle category who know far less than they believe they do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pants Donkey posted:

And here's Eric Allie with your dose of Madigan bad whoa wait...Rauner bad?

I believe the reflection is the state's previous governor, Pat Quinn, who was a democrat and therefore Bad. But an Illinoisan can let us know for sure.
I really miss Allie on a national level. I don't agree with a single fuckin thing he ever said but this is just so much more pleasant to look at than the usual trash posted here. No labels, good colors, strong linework...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Idgi

quote:

Idgi

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Conservative conference aftermath – A former Conservative minister has suggested that Theresa May’s ill-fated speech to her party conference in Manchester had left a number of MPs convinced that the time was nigh for her to resign"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Kazuo Ishiguro wins the Nobel prize in literature 2017

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

No Ripley from Aliens, list is not valid.

Yes, I know why, still.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Axe-man posted:

No Ripley from Aliens, list is not valid.

Yes, I know why, still.
Also: famous movie character Walter White

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
A good artist. (Babis) :aaa:

e- That is mostly simple linework with each character study having only 2 or 3 colors. And every one is immediately recognizable. Astonishing!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 6, 2017

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Is he implying that William Wallace isn't real?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sagebrush posted:

The most succinct way to put it, I think is:

If you know nothing about the civil war, you know it was about slavery.
If you know a little about the civil war, you know it was about states' rights.
If you know a lot about the civil war, you know it was about slavery.

The problem is that segment of dunning-krugerrites in the middle category who know far less than they believe they do.

The problem is that you've got the racists who KNOW they're racist, who feel as though their racism is entirely rational and justified, but have enough self-awareness to know that being outed as a racist is still problematic for them. They of course don't want to admit the Civil War was about slavery because they're loving racist.

Then you have people who grew up being told day in and day out that the confederate flag only ever stood for cracking open cold ones with the boys and having a Southern Style good ol' time (See: Country songs about drinking, plastic liners in the back of your pickup to make a swimming pool, muddin'), and so they've built their entire social identity around idolizing the flag and what (they were told their whole lives) it stands for.
So, when someone points out that it's a symbol of racism and treason, they see it as a personal attack against them, since they've adopted it as part of who they are.

Plus, you have people who, when you point out it was about slavery, they immediately think of some cartoon villain twirling his moustache and cackling about how he's keeping slavery around specifically for the sheer evil of it, rather than the economical reality of "I get to keep more money if I simply own people instead of paying wages, and that's why I want it."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

How would you even enforce that? The Ludovico Procedure?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

frankenfreak posted:

Could be from one of the 7 movies he's done in the last 2 yeears.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Well, the "diverse" characters at the bottom also includes the upcoming Thirteenth Doctor, so...

(if this turns into a nerdfight over whether the War Doctor gets a number, I apologize in advance.)

"People bitch about 'forced diversity' when movies feature non-white and/or non-male leads, but the movies are still overloaded with white male leads."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gonzo McFee posted:

Is he implying that William Wallace isn't real?

well, the one in the movie wasn't

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

This guy really needs to quit "drawing" comics and just get a blog.

I don't know if I could go on living without seeing a First Dog dog every few days.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I really miss Allie on a national level. I don't agree with a single fuckin thing he ever said but this is just so much more pleasant to look at than the usual trash posted here. No labels, good colors, strong linework...

He does have a deeper reference pool than most.

But that wingnut welfare ain't gonna collect itself.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Major newcomer to the thread because, well...

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916317209017937920

https://twitter.com/Blankzilla/status/916380645311565824

https://twitter.com/DavidUzumeri/status/916387192368484363

I assume corporate mergers are being decided by Mad Libs now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Selachian posted:

"People bitch about 'forced diversity' when movies feature non-white and/or non-male leads, but the movies are still overloaded with white male leads."

And/or "People complain about diversity being unrealistic when the near-total dominance of white male leads in movies is far, far more unrealistic and disproportionate compared to reality, even when you factor in recent developments."

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Shuka posted:

Could be from one of the 7 movies he's done in the last 2 yeears.

In how many of those movies does he sport a goatee w/bald head?

Pretty sure that's supposed to be Walter White and the author slipped up. Shoulda just had the guy say "Movies and TV", especially since it seems like lots of the "Ugh, diversity" complaints stem from minority and female Star Trek captains.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Tom Petty Beats Bob Dylan To Death

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jurgan posted:

How would you even enforce that? The Ludovico Procedure?

It reminds me of those 1950's public educational videos teaching kids how to be polite, or how to act in an interview, or how a factory works.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Ben Garrison posted:

The insane clowns are calling for violence and death.

loquacius posted:

What exactly is "calling for violence and death" a reference to? I know he just wanted to draw them as clowns, but that line sounds like he's trying to refer to something specific and assuming everybody else reads the same right-wing blogs he does.

I don't know what it's intended to reference but it sure sounds like a line by Wesley Willis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sandpuppy posted:

In how many of those movies does he sport a goatee w/bald head?

Pretty sure that's supposed to be Walter White and the author slipped up. Shoulda just had the guy say "Movies and TV", especially since it seems like lots of the "Ugh, diversity" complaints stem from minority and female Star Trek captains.

They shouldn't worry, the female minority captain in Discovery dies in the second episode, and then the female minority protagonist is sent to jail. Then she's recruited en route to a prison colony by a white male captain and given a second chance!

• Locked thread