Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ring world segments should be sorted into planets, not habitats. Habitats are one and done, you build them, set their tiles, and can forget about them and collapse the category. Ringworlds function exactly like planets, you're constantly upgrading stuff, and most importantly they have spaceports. Please oh please put them into the planet category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man robots are good for going tall. Not caring about what sort of climate the planets are near your capital is super amazing for just making the best of your starting territory.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man robots are good for going tall. Not caring about what sort of climate the planets are near your capital is super amazing for just making the best of your starting territory.

Robot farm/mine planet is legit

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So uh..... the awakened Spiritualists have started building a megastructure labelled 'Ancient Weapon Site'. Apparently it is Ragnarok Heavenly Spear Gungnir. A, should I be worried and B, what happens to it if I conquer the system it is in?

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 6, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It's a giant super ship from LEX with like 1m fleet strength on it's own, last time I saw it, so if those guys are assholes then yes, you should be worried.

As for what happens when you conquer it, I genuinely don't know. Go find out.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My good guy servitors started with the starfish cuties on an ocean planet, and eventually uplifted / integrated some atomic age alpine plant cuties. By the end of the game I was terraforming drat near everything (using the Stellaris Expansion terraforming mod) and giving all the cold and wet worlds to my lil buddies. All the dry worlds and tomb worlds (worryingly many in my neighborhood) were for the bots.

When you integrate an organic vassal they say something like, "Our people cannot see what good can come of integrating with you but I guess we will because them's the rules." Yeah guys in 50 years you're going to go from being pre-spaceflight to being more numerous than most starting empire species, while living a lifestyle of nonstop safe, voluntary hookers and coke.

By the end of the game I seemed to have become the #1 tourist spot for refugees of the various wars the xenophobe empire and AE rump state were having. In the course of a couple years like 5 different species showed up to the same desert planet. Hey guys, welcome to space robot burning man, we setup some temp tents with free room service for anything you want. Whatsoever. We have planets for every biome terraforming, but while you wait please check the orgy schedule to see when your anatomically-compatible time is up. Also we got a couple ringworlds for anyone who isn't picky about their climate. Oh, uh, sorry about the apparent extinction for everyone who didn't make it here. Have fun!

Basically the Culture. Building megastructures and spreading planets around for my lil buddies because I can.

Edit:

ulmont posted:

I went to Paradox to bring you the answer of "WHAT KIND OF SHIPS DO I BUILD IN 1.8?" I'm sure there's stuff to nitpick, but it looks like as long as you're building Battleships and Cruisers and avoiding Lasers and Autocannons, it matters less than it used to. In particular, Missiles are decent now.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-8-1-the-state-of-combat-balance.1048858/

From all the refitting trial and error I did to take out the Gravekeeper, I pretty much agree. The pic he posted of the torpedo cruiser is drat near identical to what I settled on. Biggest changes I would make is change the M turret on the back to Whirlwind missiles, and swap some shields for armor.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 6, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

When it was called Turtling people understood that wanting to have 2 planets or 1 army because it's easier / new player and timid / they are being defensive - it wasn't much of a discussion.

Turtling was bad, you made fun of people for doing it, it was a sign of a noob

But then some Civ smart guys decided that what it really is is that Tall vs Wide is a FUNDAMENTAL DILEMMA OF ALL VIDEO GAMES and both playstyles have to be supported and strategy / expansion video games have been worse ever since

Tall is just a rebrand of Turtle without the negative connotations and lets them act as some kind of oppressed minority for not having their playstyle supported it's great

This guy gets it.

Compare this to something like EU4; playing tall is equally viable in both games, but playing tall well doesn't mean having an ultraconcentrated core and then turtling up in it. Strategic depth is a valuable thing, and it should be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean there is the star ruler tall option whereby you go wide, invent planetary thrusters, and then fly your empire back to your home system.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

OwlFancier posted:

I mean there is the star ruler tall option whereby you go wide, invent planetary thrusters, and then fly your empire back to your home system.

I laughed ridiculously hard when I strapped a planetary thruster and a bunch of surface guns to a planet in that game and got to watch it just chase enemy planets around shooting at them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean isn't that what everybody does when they realise they have a thing with ground to space artillery, self propulsion, the ability to fabricate its own ammunition supplies, and billions of hitpoints?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

No, only because star ruler also let you make ships larger than solar systems and that's much cooler.

It just doesn't look as funny as a planet chasing another one around its orbit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJEMmzKzR4

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mobile war planets when Wiz

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ulmont posted:

I went to Paradox to bring you the answer of "WHAT KIND OF SHIPS DO I BUILD IN 1.8?" I'm sure there's stuff to nitpick, but it looks like as long as you're building Battleships and Cruisers and avoiding Lasers and Autocannons, it matters less than it used to. In particular, Missiles are decent now.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-8-1-the-state-of-combat-balance.1048858/
Aren't PD destroyers cheaper than PD cruisers? Since all ships except battleships go full CHAERG :byodood: it should be the same, right?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Corvettes and Destroyers. While I'm in no way a top tier player I've found that PD Destroyers and Torpedo Boat Corvettes in a second fleet screening the Cruisers and Battleships to be surprisingly resilient and versatile.

In testing at the link, torpedo corvettes were not as good as cruisers running medium size kinetic guns. Torpedo cruisers are apparently more fun.

Point defense is very important, but you can put it on cruisers.

Poil posted:

Aren't PD destroyers cheaper than PD cruisers? Since all ships except battleships go full CHAERG :byodood: it should be the same, right?

Cheaper but weaker. Both can dedicate 50% of offensive slots to point defence, but that gets you the problem where a cruiser stays 100% effective after the equivalent number of destroyers has lost ships and become less effective.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ulmont posted:

Cheaper but weaker. Both can dedicate 50% of offensive slots to point defence, but that gets you the problem where a cruiser stays 100% effective after the equivalent number of destroyers has lost ships and become less effective.
Ah, of course. And you can slap fighters on the cruiser too. If that's a good idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

Destroyers have the hang-back personality as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The mod that lets you set ship behaviors is a godsend and it's mind boggling something like that isn't in the base game. being a mod it of course goes too far where you can exactly specify the range it hangs back at and so on, but 3-4 behaviors to pick would be nice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

They had, but not anymore. Now they will follow the other ships to "intercept fighters and missiles before they can reach the battleline" or something like that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Nah, not anymore. Now it's all trying to charge ahead of the fighters, bombers and missiles.

Corvettes: CHAERG!!!!! :byodood:
Destroyers: CHAERG!!!!! :byodood:
Cruisers: CHAERG!!!!! :byodood:
Battleships: It's scary over there! :ohdear:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, functionally there's not a lot of difference between AIs any more except battleships. They're more influenced by craft speed.

Which thus makes cruisers more hang back inclined than destroyers.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
It might be my imagination but in my Cautious Admiral artillery fleets Destroyers seemed to do their best to buddy up. When I started mixing in some carriers they started to try and race my Bomber squadrons.

Whats good for small ship fleets anyway? Psychic shields, psychic admiral, 50/50 kinetics/plasma?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Small ship fleets rule if you can drop on top of the enemy fleet

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Corvettes and Destroyers. While I'm in no way a top tier player I've found that PD Destroyers and Torpedo Boat Corvettes in a second fleet screening the Cruisers and Battleships to be surprisingly resilient and versatile. Of course this is only really true if the enemy has missiles of some type but that's not exactly uncommon right now. My main fleet is almost never hit by strike craft or missiles thanks to the efforts of my light ships.

I swear I hate the question of "what is good on ships", "what ship composition is good", "are there any ship pitfalls to avoid" etc. because nobody answers it ever and they just end up saying all the things are fine EXCEPT DON'T HAVE IT AUTO-BUILD SHIP LOADOUTS so I guess all things aren't find because auto-building isn't fine.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Midnight Voyager posted:

I swear I hate the question of "what is good on ships", "what ship composition is good", "are there any ship pitfalls to avoid" etc. because nobody answers it ever and they just end up saying all the things are fine EXCEPT DON'T HAVE IT AUTO-BUILD SHIP LOADOUTS so I guess all things aren't find because auto-building isn't fine.

No, they're right, everything works okay but don't autobuild your ships because the autobuild will throw on more armor past the reduction cap and poo poo like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If the game gave much more intuitive feedback during battle on what's working and what's not we wouldn't need to rely on nerd with spread sheets and experiments to crunch the numbers to say what's good and what's horrible. And if you need that to get feedback then maybe your whole design and combat system isn't very good.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

turn off the TV posted:

No, they're right, everything works okay but don't autobuild your ships because the autobuild will throw on more armor past the reduction cap and poo poo like that.

What is the reduction cap? Does it show that? The screen just gives me a bunch of numbers and it's all just tiny things onscreen in practice, I never have any idea of how anything's doing other than bigger number vs smaller number good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

What is the reduction cap? Does it show that? The screen just gives me a bunch of numbers and it's all just tiny things onscreen in practice, I never have any idea of how anything's doing other than bigger number vs smaller number good.

You can't go higher than 90% reduction, and it does show that, but what I was never sure about is whether armour penetration reduces the number or the reduction bonus.

Because if it's the former then putting armour on past the bonus cap should be worthwhile because it will leave you with a higher bonus against armour piercing weapons.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Honestly, auto complete is fine as long as you:
1) clear fittings first
2) then auto fit
3) then swap out whatever stupid gun or two they include with artillery/gigas or missiles/torps

Combat is still not at a point where it really matters unless you just are way outgunned. Or are still using all missiles against enemies with assloads of PD.

When in doubt, just put kinetic artillery/cannons on your cruisers and battleships, then hit auto fit. As you play more, you'll try out some new comps and maybe like them or maybe just stick to the usual artillery spam.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Midnight Voyager posted:

Everything except lasers and autocannons are good. Corvettes and Destroyers aren't as good as they used to be but they're still fine. Autobuild ships tend to have bad layouts that over-prioritize weapons like Disruptors and do stuff like stack armour past the max limit (ex: battleships can have a max of 90% armour but the AI will sometimes keep putting on armour past that). Whether you need armour, shields or a mix of both will depend on what's shooting at you. The ship designer makes things look much more complicated than they actually are.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Collective Consciousness from the MGR soundtrack is A++ for driven assimilator games.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Where's this talk about lasers being garbage coming from? 1.8 buffed the poo poo out of lasers and the increased fire rate means that in raw numbers they out damage plasma in pretty much any calc, plus they have better tracking which is huge. Plasma has better armor pen, yes, and as a result is still pretty much the best generalist weapon for medium slots once yous start seeing more battleships, but lasers are a strong contender in the small and large slots cases. You really only need kinetic artillery on your Battleships and Cruisers if you're running a mixed fleet, and the large laser destroyers I've thrown in with them are wrecking poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find them bad, to the point that I switch to kinetics generally as soon as I can, but I can't figure out why, they should by rights be quite good, but somehow they seem to just not perform well. In the new version especially I would rather take missiles for armour piercing.

I don't know perhaps if it's some odd interaction with shielding that causes it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

Where's this talk about lasers being garbage coming from? 1.8 buffed the poo poo out of lasers and the increased fire rate means that in raw numbers they out damage plasma in pretty much any calc, plus they have better tracking which is huge. Plasma has better armor pen, yes, and as a result is still pretty much the best generalist weapon for medium slots once yous start seeing more battleships, but lasers are a strong contender in the small and large slots cases. You really only need kinetic artillery on your Battleships and Cruisers if you're running a mixed fleet, and the large laser destroyers I've thrown in with them are wrecking poo poo.

According to the quoted thread: the real question is why put a large laser in there over kinetic artillery? Yes, a large laser outperforms large plasma but the point is moot because KA outperforms both in general (except against the scourge, where plasma is the winner).

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So, does this mean never use missiles because they're garbage?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No missiles are quite good now since the buff, they have strong damage and damage bonuses, and once you're within the retargeting range you lose very few of them due to target loss, they have perfect accuracy and gain better tracking the more you tech them up, so they are also very reliable. They give you alpha strike much of the time due to their range even if their effectiveness drops off due to target loss, and they synergise well with fighters/bombers because they both compete for the same amount of enemy PD fire.

The downside is they are hard countered by PD, though this also means if the enemy isn't bringing much PD you will do well, and if they are bringing a lot of PD they'e not bringing as much firepower otherwise which you may be able to exploit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
No one can actually give you decent weapon advice because, ignoring that it changes around ever update, combat is kind of a black box and the results aren't entirely obvious.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How do refugees work if all your planet tiles are full? Had some refugees arrive in a sector system. 99% sure the planet had full tiles ages ago, but suddenly three of them were refugees. Did they destroy/replace some of my robots/natives?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Since when can I not make a fleet bigger than 500 ships :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shugojin posted:

Since when can I not make a fleet bigger than 500 ships :saddowns:

Split your fleet

• Locked thread