Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 3 of Gundam Battlogue was actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Recovery of an MMO Junkie/Recommendation of the Virtual World had a pretty good first episode. There were a few wierd pacing moments in how it skipped ahead. And the virtual world is super-generic but I guess that's kinda the point.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fangz posted:

Recovery of an MMO Junkie/Recommendation of the Virtual World had a pretty good first episode. There were a few wierd pacing moments in how it skipped ahead. And the virtual world is super-generic but I guess that's kinda the point.

Where does the protagonist fall in the spectrum of had just given up/lost generation" vs "is actually just a terrible and incompetent person"? I assume it is at least more positive than Watamote.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

chumbler posted:

Where does the protagonist fall in the spectrum of had just given up/lost generation" vs "is actually just a terrible and incompetent person"? I assume it is at least more positive than Watamote.

Not much has happened so far, but feels much more like the former.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i gotta agree with pacing issues. the way it instantly jumped from 2 man party, to a full squad without introductions was bizarre. there were also some really badly drawn parts, but otherwise it was decent

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

From the manga, but probably not spoiling anything: Neither really. She had a well paying job, and wasn't really shy/antisocial. Then she was bullied out of her job by her boss, but had enough savings to say "gently caress this poo poo" and become NEET by choice.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
New Kino episodes have started, all's right with the world.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
first ep of shoujo shuumatsu ryokou was good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

first ep of shoujo shuumatsu ryokou was good

how does it feel to be an anime pirate

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This episode of Kino no Tabi brought to you by the NRA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, upon rewatching Zodiac War's First Episode, all I keep thinking is "The Story is gonna show us that the Awful Boar Lady is right and Monkey is the worst of the bunch, isn't it?" I mean, the Big Brother Dragon just took his deceased younger brother's jewel like nothing, the Boar lady pushed her little sister to commit mass murder and then kill herself and Rabbit seems like a parody of Hisoka, but yeah, the pantsless Girl Scout is evil to the core. Oh boy oh boy.

Also watched the MMO Elite NEET Lady show. And from the OP and the rest of the episode, it seems like she just couldn't handle the pressure and decided to give up. Which honestly is a heckuva lot better than to succumb to Karoshi.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the monkey stuff struck me more as personal or ideological, so she may not be exactly as bad as boar would have you expect. people were agreeing to her plan when she's presumably a known entity like ox etc. so her reputation can't be that awful.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Slightly spoilerish since the anime hasn't labeled everyone yet (like how the boar kills in abundance and the rabbit kills strangely), but the manga labels her as

That said, the labels aren't fully literal either, so we'll see where monkey ends up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for putting that behind spoilers, Allarion. I've been trying to steer clear from spoilers for the past few months.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Man, upon rewatching Zodiac War's First Episode, all I keep thinking is "The Story is gonna show us that the Awful Boar Lady is right and Monkey is the worst of the bunch, isn't it?" I mean, the Big Brother Dragon just took his deceased younger brother's jewel like nothing, the Boar lady pushed her little sister to commit mass murder and then kill herself and Rabbit seems like a parody of Hisoka, but yeah, the pantsless Girl Scout is evil to the core. Oh boy oh boy.

Also watched the MMO Elite NEET Lady show. And from the OP and the rest of the episode, it seems like she just couldn't handle the pressure and decided to give up. Which honestly is a heckuva lot better than to succumb to Karoshi.

I think it'd be nice if the monkey-girl isn't super-evil, for the very simple reason that it's the less obvious way for things to go. Being more cunning than she lets on seems a given, but it'd be nice if there's some genuine decency there.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Wark Say posted:

Thanks for putting that behind spoilers, Allarion. I've been trying to steer clear from spoilers for the past few months.

Well it's from chapter 1 of the manga, so it's just the anime spacing out information at its own pace. Tempted to pick up the novel though, just cause I'm curious if the whole sister backstory was detailed in the novel or purely an anime invention. The manga just says she killed her sister without elaborating.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you'd be insane to trust someone that enters a murder tourney and then asks for peace

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, ok then.

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it'd be nice if the monkey-girl isn't super-evil, for the very simple reason that it's the less obvious way for things to go. Being more cunning than she lets on seems a given, but it'd be nice if there's some genuine decency there.

dogsicle posted:

the monkey stuff struck me more as personal or ideological, so she may not be exactly as bad as boar would have you expect. people were agreeing to her plan when she's presumably a known entity like ox etc. so her reputation can't be that awful.
I hope so. I like Nisio Isin as an author (even if the motherfucker gives me whiplash sometimes), because he seems genuinely into writing and having some loving fun with his given medium, as opposed to other authors who are content with barely even trying the bear rear end minimum.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

drat, really? I heard so much praise for it in the first half I was really looking forward to watching it.

It's not the worst thing in the world. It's gorgeously animated & Nina is a very cute & fun lead, even if she makes the worst decisions in the world. But if you're expecting any kind of sensible payoff to the plot or real character development, oof.

Sefal posted:

Does Bahamut show up in Season 2?

He does! And boy is he angry!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
girls last tour pretty much nailed the first episode. bleak and intriguing world, cute relationship between the girls with some set up for potential conflicts they can have later

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Please tell me they try to pronounce that in japanese :pray:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm not sure I remember what happened in the last episode of Bahumut. Like I know I watched it, but uh. I guess everyone worked together to defeat Bahamut probably. Really?

The show was sooooo good, and really it was... so good. I loved how they just had extended gorgeous animation sequences that rode on these epic music compositions. It's hard to just not loving love it. But yeah like the back half of the back half was really just kinda whatever. Managed to be both slow and rushed at the same time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they do, but its not half as bad as their pronunciation of 'sieg heil' which i had to rewind a few times since i couldn't believe what i was hearing

girls last tour would be stronger if it would commit to a historical setting, rather than this current mishmash of nuclear post apocolypse and soviet/nazi ww2 weaponry (with a few later things like the tupolev they hang around in) with a duo of japanese moeblobs. just make it some german girls escaping through the russian winter or something like that

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Davincie posted:

they do, but its not half as bad as their pronunciation of 'sieg heil' which i had to rewind a few times since i couldn't believe what i was hearing

girls last tour would be stronger if it would commit to a historical setting, rather than this current mishmash of nuclear post apocolypse and soviet/nazi ww2 weaponry (with a few later things like the tupolev they hang around in) with a duo of japanese moeblobs. just make it some german girls escaping through the russian winter or something like that

given the equipment i interpreted as an alt history in which ww2 destroyed the human race. also its the first episode and the show was clearly going the route of doling out information about the setting organically instead of having a gravel voiced narrator open the anime with The Year is 20xx, the human race is no more, after a big fight with hitler killed everyone

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
honestly almost all of rage of bahamuts problems with the story in the back half extend from pathological commitment to the charioce/nina ship. everything nonsensical/terrible is coming from contortions to justify that wretchedness, or a weird attempt to make allessand a pitiable villain which also fell completely flat

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and here i thought people condemning the het ship were joking

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its clearly not ww2 post apoc judging by the fact that they show multiple pieces of cold war equipment. its just that everything the girls carry is ww2 german, and most of the destroyed stuff ww2 soviet. i don't need a voiceover ofc, if anything the total lack of exposition is good. its just that the setting comes over more as a grab bag of things the author found cool looking, then consistent. all of this might change later of course

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
have you played fallout

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Both Kino and Girl's Last Tour were good. I'm glad

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fallout settings are not well thought out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really care about the consistency of the setting in girls' last tour i just like the character dynamic

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if the fight over the food had been real it would have been an interesting dynamic, but right now its just dime a dozen

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Not as smug as I liked, but it's just a PV. Probably going for more of a flirty tone.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
If anyone wants to check out a nice sci-fi series from a couple of seasons ago, ID-0 is finally out on Netflix today.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80174918

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davincie posted:

its clearly not ww2 post apoc judging by the fact that they show multiple pieces of cold war equipment. its just that everything the girls carry is ww2 german, and most of the destroyed stuff ww2 soviet. i don't need a voiceover ofc, if anything the total lack of exposition is good. its just that the setting comes over more as a grab bag of things the author found cool looking, then consistent. all of this might change later of course

It's totally a grab bag of stuff that the author thought looked neat and I don't think it was meant to take place in a specific time other than as some point in ~the future~. It's sorta like Kino's Journey where the different places are wildly disparate in tech levels and organization yet are all part of the same world.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Girl's Last Tour whole cute girls surviving cutely thing worked way better than I thought it would. I'm in.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

It's totally a grab bag of stuff that the author thought looked neat and I don't think it was meant to take place in a specific time other than as some point in ~the future~. It's sorta like Kino's Journey where the different places are wildly disparate in tech levels and organization yet are all part of the same world.

Or why the planet in Trigun has a very wide variety of non-standardized 20th century guns.

Pumpkin Scissors was another one where, IIRC, everybody was using random guns from the WWI/interwar period, that and the anti-tank Thompson/Center Contender, but it's been like 10 years since it aired and I barely remember it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Vanishing Line -Garo-: Is pretty neat, if a bit breezy and plagued by a bit of shaky "cam". I have to wonder if Japan is going through a bit of a "90s American nostalgia for the American 50s" moment right now between this, Space Dandy, and Blood Blockade Battle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Vanishing Line -Garo-: Is pretty neat, if a bit breezy and plagued by a bit of shaky "cam". I have to wonder if Japan is going through a bit of a "90s American nostalgia for the American 50s" moment right now between this, Space Dandy, and Blood Blockade Battle...

the shaky cam is total rear end and it feels like it's there to cover up for badly animated action scenes. between the two issues it was really hard to parse anything in the fights. at least the character designs are nice and stay surprisingly consistent. op is probably the worst thing jam project has ever done

• Locked thread