Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Whole lot of negative reviews just got posted on RT. Interesting to see how long it took for a small wave of backlash critically. Still super excited to see this Sunday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4nwhq1JARA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr E posted:

Nah, dog was obviously rescued by the Resistance and is fine! :colbert: Incredible movie, I'm really surprised that I enjoyed it more than the original. Not a single person got up to go to the bathroom or anything in a 300 person IMAX theater.

bunch of people up in fronting at mine

dono if they have weak rear end bladders or if it was a "Drive" moment for them so to speak

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Vegetable posted:

But that's part of JOI's programming though. She said things to make him feel like a real boy. It did what it was programmed to do.

If you are programmed to obey and fight against racism, but decide later that you have broken your programming and decided to fight racism on your own because of your morality; are you really free thinking it just satisfying a program? It's like the most PKDickian premise ever.

Regardless of the answer, K believed she loved him. Remember what the one eyed lady said after he discovered he wasn't the child: we al wish it were us, that's why we believe.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Just got out of the movie. Predictably I liked it a lot!

There was actually a bunch of walkouts during my showing, which boggled my mind.

I particularly liked how K's relationship with JOI mirrored, and evolved alongside, his relationship with humans throughout the movie. For me, the heart of the movie clearly lied within that relationship.

My only criticism of the movie is that I feel it was a bit hamfisted with the her "What you want to hear" signage fairly early on in the movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I dont know. I figure if you're watching BR on a thursday night you've been anticipating this

or maybe you wanted a makeout room (cept everyone getting up from mine were solos)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also if you want something to fight about there's this

https://www.wired.com/story/blade-runner-2049-politics/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Aramis posted:

There was actually a bunch of walkouts during my showing, which boggled my mind.

Go back and watch the trailer, I could see a lot of dummies showing up expecting some sort of futuristic Bourne or something.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Saw it, loved it. Some real hypnotic sequences in this. Sound design was fantastic.

"All the best memories are hers." had a nice melancholic double meaning at the end.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

sean10mm posted:

This might seem like a very random question, but is there any animal cruelty in this film?

Dog gets blowed up too but you see standing again later

No this one is definitely a series about people cruelty.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sean10mm posted:

This might seem like a very random question, but is there any animal cruelty in this film?

the somali guy who is the captain now can totally hook it up with the horse connect

probably fake like his papers though

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Also if you want something to fight about there's this

https://www.wired.com/story/blade-runner-2049-politics/

Whatever point the author is trying to make is being harmed by the fact that a) He severely overstates how much Wallace actually does in the movie. and b) Conveniently ignores Deckard's daughter entirely, when we spend a good chunk of the movie focused on her tragic upbringing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean if you want to play woke olympics you're going to reduce all female roles to symbolic ones thus making you the shitlord ironically

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Prefacing this by saying I disliked Arrival and Sicario, and I thought Enemy and Prisoners were just okay.

I didn't like it. Nothing resonated with me emotionally; it felt less a lived in world than a series of sci-fi set pieces that led one to another.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aramis posted:

Whatever point the author is trying to make is being harmed by the fact that a) He severely overstates how much Wallace actually does in the movie. and b) Conveniently ignores Deckard's daughter entirely, when we spend a good chunk of the movie focused on her tragic upbringing.

She

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean if you want to play woke olympics you're going to reduce all female roles to symbolic ones thus making you the shitlord ironically

I guess I should have prefaced that I actually agree with the premise of the article, I just feel that it harms its own cause by being misleading when it has no need to. I think it's a bad article making a valid point.

Good catch. I should have paid attention.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 6, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean I do wish each faction felt a little more lived in, when you pick one person to be face of it for the most part people want to project everything onto them. Granted the original did the same

Is there room for a single female lawyer going her own way not needing a man? Potentially. Would she just become another Vertigo character in relation to the mains? Probably

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Good.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

bawfuls posted:

We know that story she told about her parents having tickets off world is not true. Her mother was Rachel, who died giving birth. Her father was Deckard, she never met him to that point, and he clearly wasn't heading off world. The "genetic disease" was likely falsified along with the rest of the records tampering.

The horse was still there because no one had any reason to go digging through those old ash piles in some forgotten corner of a long-wrecked ship. The date was her birthday, and the horse was a gift Deckard made for her before he left. They showed his other similarly carved wood animals at his place in Vegas.

Hmm, maybe it wasn't true. Don't really buy the "it was all lies" explanation.

The date must have had some other meaning. A trigger for replicants with that memory?

Also on Deckard being a replicant: Leto leaves that open.

Edit: Anyone notice giant hologram waifu advertisement call K "Joe-something"? Driving home how utterly not special he was?

Oldsmobile fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 6, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Oldsmobile posted:

Edit: Anyone notice giant hologram waifu advertisement call K "Joe-something"? Driving home how utterly not special he was?

I think everyone did? I mean it's such a pivotal moment for him

there was one point I remember the ambient soundtrack kinda getting in the way of the dialogue but that's about it

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
No, no one noticed the 60 foot tall woman. Good catch.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I loved the parallels between this one and the first, notably:

Comparing the moments when Deckard begins questioning his own humanity, wondering if he himself may be more replicant than human, to the moments when K begins questioning if he may be more "human" than replicant. Before this all happens, K has a conversation with his lieutenant regarding his hesitance towards killing the child, because to be born is to have a soul and he doesn't (or hasn't) kill things with souls. To consider he may have been born, for him, was to consider he may, too, have a soul. I think, in the end, it doesn't matter if Deckard is replicant or K is "human", as they both have reached the conclusion that they are fully capable of having a soul. Deckard, through his love for Rachel, and K through his love for Joi and his ultimate decision to resist orders for a cause he feels strongly for. Humans are replicants, and replicants are human. Another reason why Deckard is unphased by Wallace's hinting that he is a replicant - the answer does not matter to Deckard because he "knows what's real", he knows he has a soul.

sorry if that made no sense. I tried

Trollipop fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 6, 2017

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
He meant did everyone catch that she called him Joe and the implication there in of it simply being a default response and not a heartfelt or thought out name.

I think the true "Ist Deckard ein Replikant" of this film is Did K's Joi truely love him or was she just that well programed to pickup on his desire for love. Like in the same way that if you treat a replicant like/allow them to be a person long enough they'll develop their own personality and feelings.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I think the true "Ist Deckard ein Replikant" of this film is Did K's Joi truely love him or was she just that well programed to pickup on his desire for love. Like in the same way that if you treat a replicant like/allow them to be a person long enough they'll develop their own personality and feelings.

Not only that but it's biggest implications for the original is the same question: as Morris said - did Rachel really love Deckard or was that just programming as well?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Well love is all programming as-is, so...

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Trollipop posted:

I loved the parallels between this one and the first, notably:

Another reason why Deckard is unphased by Wallace's hinting that he is a replicant - the answer does not matter to Deckard because he "knows what's real", he knows he has a soul.

sorry if that made no sense. I tried

See a few people have mentioned this but he did not strike me as unphased. Quite the opposite actually, to me it sounded like he got emotional/defensive like it struck a nerve. As if maybe this was something he had doubts about and needed to remind himself of.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

He meant did everyone catch that she called him Joe and the implication there in of it simply being a default response and not a heartfelt or thought out name.

umm yeah we caught that too

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Sure but it's not crazy to think it was a blink and you'll miss it moment, giant lady aside.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Spoiler for a cameo: So, Gaff and the sheep. I took it as a reference to Dick's book, but there's more to it than that, right? If it'd been a horse the way he'd made the unicorn (in re: Blade Runner's Director's Cut), I'd say okay, there's some prestidigitation going down, but the sheep he made threw me off. Anyone know how it relates?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Alan Smithee posted:

umm yeah we caught that too

please tell us more about every minute detail you caught in a deeply layered 3 hour movie because we are obviously all too stupid to catch it all at first watch

in fact don't, because there's no point in discussing things we all caught, obviously

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

3Romeo posted:

Spoiler for a cameo: So, Gaff and the sheep. I took it as a reference to Dick's book, but there's more to it than that, right? If it'd been a horse the way he'd made the unicorn (in re: Blade Runner's Director's Cut), I'd say okay, there's some prestidigitation going down, but the sheep he made threw me off. Anyone know how it relates?

It's a literary reference.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Maybe

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It's really not the "is Deckard a replicant" of our generation.

To be honest, and you won't like this probably, but "is Cobb still dreaming?" probably is. In the sense of, "a critically well-received genre film by a respected director ends on an overtly ambiguous question about its central character's reality."

That article is making a pretty disingenuous argument w/r/t JOI. Firstly, that Ana de Armas somehow isn't *actually* Cuban because that better serves the author's point. But also, that JOI being a sexualized consumer product is somehow to be taken at face value. The entire point of her arc is to explore how "real" or "not real" that personality actually is. She's designed to be a sexist male empowerment fantasy, just as K is designed to be a cop or Luv is designed to serve Wallace. But she has a personality, has unique feelings and motivations, despite this...the entire humanist underpinning to this film and to the original. Criticizing it as sexist or anti-feminist ignores that it's self-consciously commenting on those very topics, the tension between the patriarchal forces that programmed her and the meaningful subjectivity she developed in spite of it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Xealot posted:

To be honest, and you won't like this probably, but "is Cobb still dreaming?" probably is.

...the meaningful subjectivity she developed in spite of it.

No, I like it.

And but what if she didn't?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

And but what if she didn't?

I can see that argument. I interpreted it as, "JOI struggles to operate within the parameters they allow her." A ton of her thoughts and motivations are influenced by her programming. But at the same time, she tells K to erase her from the console and break the antenna on the mobile unit, betraying her manufacturer to keep K untraceable. If she was literally just a product, I don't think she'd do that.

She wasn't designed to be unique, but became unique. My interpretation of the giant hologram scene is that K saw JOI's marketing as a parody of her, a counterpoint to the fake Rachel that Deckard likewise rejects.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Xealot posted:

I can see that argument. I interpreted it as, "JOI struggles to operate within the parameters they allow her." A ton of her thoughts and motivations are influenced by her programming. But at the same time, she tells K to erase her from the console and break the antenna on the mobile unit, betraying her manufacturer to keep K untraceable. If she was literally just a product, I don't think she'd do that.

She wasn't designed to be unique, but became unique. My interpretation of the giant hologram scene is that K saw JOI's marketing as a parody of her, a counterpoint to the fake Rachel that Deckard likewise rejects.

Yea that comparison is right on. I think it's a nice microcosm of the scope of the film itself from an ethical perspective. What begins as a sweeping fate of the world plot distills down into a quest of personal devotion, of particular Christlike love (What am I to you?). Paul's letter to the Galatians wasn't a random reference.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it's less of a parody situation, and more of a baseline (thematic pun not intended) experience being marketed. Giant Hologram JOI acts the default way an AI waifu is programmed for customers, K's JOI is what happens over the course of a long term relationship with a low-affect replicant.

E: Hard to articulate this, but I liked how Girlfriend JOI and Advertising JOI followed some unwritten rules of female nudity on film. Girlfriend JOI is never seen nude, just like a conventionally-successful movie actress isn't going to do nude scenes at the drop of a hat. Advertising JOI is an actress who isn't ever going to reach such cinematic heights, so she'll do scenes where she's naked because a role is a role is a role. Girlfriend JOI is a named actor, Advertising JOI is Girl #5 in a Jason movie. That both actresses play the two different characters just add richness to it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 7, 2017

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Looking to avoid spoilers so did not read this thread. You can order the blade runner whiskey here if you live in the US: https://www.reservebar.com/johnnie-walker-black-label-the-directors-cut

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe the film was as good as it was. I'm a huge fan of the original, but I ignored most of the marketing and went in blind. I'm still on a bit of a high about it but... am I crazy or is it as good as Blade Runner?

High point for me was definitely Fake Rachel. Using the uncanny valley CGI face to recreate her, but imperceptible 'off' is a stroke of genius. I do wonder how much of a fake she was from her point of view though.

I also dug Luv impassively crying whenever she killed someone

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 7, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Quote ain't edit.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think I read the relationship between K and JOI way differently than some of you. Some people have already pointed it out, but him hearing Giant Fake GF call him Joe drove home the realization from the previous scene with The Resistance: he's not special. But for a replicant, not being special has a particular meaning, as it's a reminder of their lesser status, they're not allowed to be special because it's not why they were created. So the moment K decides to go save Deckard's old captured rear end and essentially sacrifice himself is what really makes him become a "real boy".

"The most human thing you can do is sacrifice yourself for a worthy cause." The miracle that he saw, he realized, was Bautista dying for what he believed in. And he went and did the same thing.

• Locked thread