Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Jedah posted:

PD's Disorienting Blast is the key skill when combo'ing with the Leper. PD stuns a target, and corpses get cleared. So, sometimes a stress witch hiding in the back will be shuffled forward, and any corpses preventing the Leper from attacking are cleared out. This is a must-have skill if you're using the two classes together, imo.

It's a must-have skill for the PD in any composition, at least in my experience. My question was more about who to choose for the other two positions in the party. Even in PD teams that don't include a Leper, I find myself wanting a stress healer but having trouble including one with the PD taking up a back rank slot. A kill-the-front-first approach makes stress healing even more valuable, and there aren't too many ways to get it without giving up having a proper healer. Crusader is a questionable choice: either you start him in rank 2 to double down on the kill-the-front strategy, leaving you completely reliant on move skills to deal with must-kill-first targets in the back like Bone Bearers or the Hateful Virago, or you start him in the back, splitting your attacks and forcing you to use a healer that can work in rank 2 anyway. Something like HM/PD/Occultist/Leper could work, but it's not without weaknesses.

I'm curious whether Hannibal Rex's experience with the PD/Leper combination has let them find a better way to either fit in or do without stress healing with the PD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Just a few quick ideas for PD+Leper parties:

Vestal, PD, MAA, Leper.

Arbalest, PD, Dogman, Leper.

Vestal/Arbalest, PD, Leper, Hellion.

Vestal/Arbalest, PD, Flagellant, Leper.

Antiquarian, PD, Crusader, Leper.

PD, Occultist, MAA, Leper.

Vestal, PD, BH, Leper.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I usually jumble together a fresh team every time I go into a dungeon, so I don't have any one particular party to recommend. I've used my Leper a lot in my Bloodmoon run, and always had him perform satisfactory, so I think all the Leper hate is overblown. The PD just stands out because he complements the Leper so well. Jedah's suggestions all look decent to me.

It's true that a PD with Blasphemous Vial will accumulate significant stress, unless you combine it with an anti-stress trinket, which lowers your stun chance. I've done that before and had it work alright. For the same reason, I like Photomania a lot on PDs. I often play without dedicated stress healers and rely on crits, dodge buffs and camp stress healing to keep it manageable and it works fine.

The thing about critical his is that you can anticipate how much damage they do before hand, and since the Leper can switch between Chop and Hew, that keeps overkills down and your effective damage output high. I don't value Speed that highly, but the Crescendo Box is definitely a top tier damage trinket too. The Leper's crits do enough damage to one-shot enemies like Cultist Champions or Infamous Cutthroats, even before damage trinkets, so I think the crit buff is absolutely worthwhile.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

HundredBears posted:

It's a must-have skill for the PD in any composition, at least in my experience. My question was more about who to choose for the other two positions in the party. Even in PD teams that don't include a Leper, I find myself wanting a stress healer but having trouble including one with the PD taking up a back rank slot. A kill-the-front-first approach makes stress healing even more valuable, and there aren't too many ways to get it without giving up having a proper healer. Crusader is a questionable choice: either you start him in rank 2 to double down on the kill-the-front strategy, leaving you completely reliant on move skills to deal with must-kill-first targets in the back like Bone Bearers or the Hateful Virago, or you start him in the back, splitting your attacks and forcing you to use a healer that can work in rank 2 anyway. Something like HM/PD/Occultist/Leper could work, but it's not without weaknesses.

I'm curious whether Hannibal Rex's experience with the PD/Leper combination has let them find a better way to either fit in or do without stress healing with the PD.

The team you want (for the ruins only) is:
PD/Crus/Crus/Leper :v:

Make sure crusader in #3 spot has a +speed item (crescendo box) and crusader in #2 spot has the -spd bracer, which pretty much guarantees a chain gun of holy lances. Plus you have the leper taking out the dudes in the front.

(joking, not joking, the chain gun crusader strat trivializes the ruins)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't wait to put a billion more hours into another new DD file on the perfect console the Nintendo Switch, and never open up the version on PC ever again :toot:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Drewjitsu posted:

The team you want (for the ruins only) is:
PD/Crus/Crus/Leper :v:

Make sure crusader in #3 spot has a +speed item (crescendo box) and crusader in #2 spot has the -spd bracer, which pretty much guarantees a chain gun of holy lances. Plus you have the leper taking out the dudes in the front.

(joking, not joking, the chain gun crusader strat trivializes the ruins)

Haha you really love that double Crusader chain-gun party. That team is crazy good in the Ruins.

Another shuffle comp you could try with Leper is: Arbalest/HWM/Crusader/Leper.

Arbalest heals, marks, and snipes the back position targets.

HWM uses Duelist's Advance to Riposte + hit the back targets. If he ends up in position 1, Point Blank Shot to return to position 2. Wicked Slice + Tracking Shot could be his other skills.

Crusader uses Holy Lance while in position 3, and shuffles back and forth with HWM. Swap out Crusader's heal with his stress heal if needed.

Leper mauls the front two targets with Chop+Hew, has his self-heal, and could Intimidate to reduce enemy PROT.

When damaged, apply Battlefield Bandage to the wounded party member, then heal with Crusader, or use the Leper's self-heal.

Camping:
Use HWM's Bandit's Sense (4) to avoid the nighttime ambush, and get -20% Chance Party Surprised/+20% Chance Monster Surprised for 4 battles.

Buff everybody with Arbalest's Marching Plan (3) for extra speed. Use Crusader's Zealous Speech (5) while camping to clear stress, and -15% stress dmg on the party for 4 battles.

If stress hasn't piled up, you could use combat buffs like: Restring Crossbow, Unparalleled Finesse, or Reflection. And if things are looking really bad, you could always heal with Arbalest's Triage (3) while camping, instead of buffing the party.

Somewhere, Makaris just spit out his coffee and is shaking his fist at his monitor. I'm sorry friend, I like the Leper.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 2, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I can't wait to put a billion more hours into another new DD file on the perfect console the Nintendo Switch, and never open up the version on PC ever again :toot:

:same:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He's just not versatile enough for me. DD is a game about variable management. If one of my main tools is out of the battle for two turns, that's awful. I'd just rather have a Hellion or Crusader in that spot.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Can't disagree with that, Hellion would be killer in that party, too.

I'll do a run with Arbalest/HWM/Crusader/Leper soon. GOG kindly forces me to re-install the entire game every time there's a new patch. :suicide:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jedah posted:

Haha you really love that double Crusader chain-gun party. That team is crazy good in the Ruins.

Another shuffle comp you could try with Leper is: Arbalest/HWM/Crusader/Leper.

Arbalest heals, marks, and snipes the back position targets.

HWM uses Duelist's Advance to Riposte + hit the back targets. If he ends up in position 1, Point Blank Shot to return to position 2. Wicked Slice + Tracking Shot could be his other skills.

Crusader uses Holy Lance while in position 3, and shuffles back and forth with HWM. Swap out Crusader's heal with his stress heal if needed.

Leper mauls the front two targets with Chop+Hew, has his self-heal, and could Intimidate to reduce enemy PROT.

When damaged, apply Battlefield Bandage to the wounded party member, then heal with Crusader, or use the Leper's self-heal.

Camping:
Use HWM's Bandit's Sense (4) to avoid the nighttime ambush, and get -20% Chance Party Surprised/+20% Chance Monster Surprised for 4 battles.

Buff everybody with Arbalest's Marching Plan (3) for extra speed. Use Crusader's Zealous Speech (5) while camping to clear stress, and -15% stress dmg on the party for 4 battles.

If stress hasn't piled up, you could use combat buffs like: Restring Crossbow, Unparalleled Finesse, or Reflection. And if things are looking really bad, you could always heal with Arbalest's Triage (3) while camping, instead of buffing the party.

Somewhere, Makaris just spit out his coffee and is shaking his fist at his monitor. I'm sorry friend, I like the Leper.

Only because the crusader is useful in the ruins, and pretty much no where else. (although his trinket set makes him a pretty decent tank/off Healer).

It's also hilarious to use in the ruins. Try it out and you'll see how fast everything just evaporates (with a focus on back rank enemies too, so you don't end up getting a ton of bad things happening to you).

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 13, 2022

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Saintly goons. :pray:

Get 'em, Crasical.

Leper's Intimidate can finish off archers in the back if they're low on HP.

Played very fast and loose, could've left the Ruins with zero stress if I stalled a few fights and used Inspiring Cry.

But you get the idea, this team is very viable.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I'll give that a shot. I think that about as well optimised for having a Leper around you can get. I would maybe swap the arbalest out for a PD and HWM for a Vestal. Build the Vestal and Crusader for mid rank shuffling and lean more on stuns, but I don't know if that's better?

A stress healer is 100% needed, and not a lot of options there anymore.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bring someone who crits a lot, e.g. an arbalest, or a highwayman

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Makaris posted:

I'll give that a shot. I think that about as well optimised for having a Leper around you can get. I would maybe swap the arbalest out for a PD and HWM for a Vestal. Build the Vestal and Crusader for mid rank shuffling and lean more on stuns, but I don't know if that's better?

A stress healer is 100% needed, and not a lot of options there anymore.

So, is your version of the party PD/Vestal/Crusader/Leper? Or, I guess you could start the Crusader back in position 3, then immediately Holy Lance into position 2, where he could remain from the duration of the fight. Your version of the party would be a lot better for stunlocking and being generally unkillable.

HWM/Crusader just have a very useful shuffling mechanic with one another, both of them strike the back positions in the opening round, and usually mow down their stress dealers/archers pretty quickly. My version of the Leper party has only 1 stun, but it has excellent reach and a lot of damage output.

The main reason the Crusader would have his regular heal equipped would be to help out the Arbalest, who cannot target herself with a bandage in position 4. Fortunately, she can tank like a champ with her CC set. But yeah, one Swine Skiver critting a few times could ruin your poo poo pretty easily.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Just curious Jedah, what kind of damage buffs are on your Leper in those screenshots? The damage seems a bit high for just the trinkets.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hannibal Rex posted:

Just curious Jedah, what kind of damage buffs are on your Leper in those screenshots? The damage seems a bit high for just the trinkets.

That must be from Crimson Curse's Bloodlust (+25% DMG, +4 SPD). Seems quite useful on the super slow Leper, maybe I'll keep him cursed. :evilbuddy:

Edit: Crasical also has Warrior of Light locked in, so that's another +10% damage, too.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 3, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

In remembrance of my probated pal, DJF, I did a special Warrens run:

Ghost of Makaris the People's Vestal, Krusty the Jester, DJF the Dogman, and White Coke the Flagellant.

Oh yeah, now this is a terrific way to start a run.

Don't despair. I believe in my friend, the Dogman.

:stare:

Ah yes, I knew there was a reason we brought Makaris along... You dirty little birdie.

DJF acquires Warrior of Light, the clown gets tapeworm.

This is as it should be.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jedah posted:

This is as it should be.

How dare you! My jokes are great.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

White Coke was solid throughout the entire run, great jokes and Bleeds, an overall excellent companion. He was the glue that held together my goony, ramshackle party together. Very handsome and would party with again, A+++

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Jedah posted:

So, is your version of the party PD/Vestal/Crusader/Leper? Or, I guess you could start the Crusader back in position 3, then immediately Holy Lance into position 2, where he could remain from the duration of the fight. Your version of the party would be a lot better for stunlocking and being generally unkillable.

HWM/Crusader just have a very useful shuffling mechanic with one another, both of them strike the back positions in the opening round, and usually mow down their stress dealers/archers pretty quickly. My version of the Leper party has only 1 stun, but it has excellent reach and a lot of damage output.

The main reason the Crusader would have his regular heal equipped would be to help out the Arbalest, who cannot target herself with a bandage in position 4. Fortunately, she can tank like a champ with her CC set. But yeah, one Swine Skiver critting a few times could ruin your poo poo pretty easily.

That's kind of my idea. It worked well for you, but id be worried that my slow rear end team (Arbalest Crusader and Leper, ouch) are doomed to eat at minimum 1-2 stress attacks per fight. And with no back row stuns, possibly more if anything doesn't go exactly as planned. Crits are good but ain't gonna counteract 40 or more extra stress per fight.

PD Vestal back row is much less killy but a great at control and between the Leper / Crusader the squad is pretty much unkillable, just gotta worry about stress, still.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Makaris, I tried your Leper team in the Cove.

Soothing Vapors does not care for the fishmen!!

The Leper being good and cool (ie. not missing):

Crasical's naughtiness was healed by the coral:

Had to include the patented Makaris stall, PD's Emboldening Vapors on Crusader + spamming Inspiring Cry to stress heal:

VICTOLY!

Things to change for next time:

Switch out Leper's Revenge for Withstand or self-heal, either would've better picks. He didn't miss much, and the extra damage wasn't needed. And PD's Emboldening Vapors would've buffed his damage, anyhow.

Reduce the speed of the Vestal, or stack even more speed on the Crusader. There were times when my position 2 Vestal would act before the Crusader, and she'd stand there doing squat, while Soothing Vapors waited to Holy Lance.

Maybe even ditch PD's Emboldening Vapors for Noxious Blast or Blinding Gas, I didn't end up using it very much. The extra Blight or double-stun would always be useful to have.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 4, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jedah posted:

Things to change for next time:

Switch out Leper's Revenge for Withstand or self-heal, either would've better picks. He didn't miss much, and the extra damage wasn't needed. And PD's Emboldening Vapors would've buffed his damage, anyhow.

Reduce the speed of the Vestal, or stack even more speed on the Crusader. There were times when my position 2 Vestal would act before the Crusader, and she'd stand there doing squat, while Soothing Vapors waited to Holy Lance.

Maybe even ditch PD's Emboldening Vapors for Noxious Blast or Blinding Gas, I didn't end up using it very much. The extra Blight or double-stun would always be useful to have.

Revenge (and purge) is straight garbage. The Leper has the following skills: Chop/Hew/Withstand/Solemnity/Intimidate and NOTHING else. I rocked my lepers most of the time with Chop/Hew/Intimidate/Solemnity (and sometimes change out hew for withstand if you're dealing with single target bosses).

For PD's, they are usually going to rock Blinding Gas (A++++ skill, most important skill on their bar, make sure it never leaves, ever)/Battlefield medicine/Disorienting Blast/X (Incision/Plague Grenade/Noxious Blast which you'll mostly never use). Incision gets reaaaaaaaaaaaaly good if you have the bloody herb equipped, but 99% of the time, your trinket loadout is going to be Witch's Vial+Blasphemous Vial. An extra 60% stun wrecks most encounters, and decimating the back rank (while the leper :getin: crushes the front rank), really serves to alleviate the problems that the leper has (not being able to deal with the bank rank).

You also gain a tremendous action advantage as you're trading one of your actions for two of the enemy group's. For about 3 turns before the stun resist gets too high. Then take a turn off to heal something, and you're back to stunning.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

All good advice, Drewjitsu.

Not very impressed by Revenge, was just trying it because I wanted some extra accuracy, but it didn't end up being practical. Equipping a Sun Ring got the job done. Withstand is awesome if you don't have a stress healer and need to tank mega-attacks like Treebranch Smackdown, Solemnity is great if your party is low/average on healing, or if you need a way to save yourself from Death's Door.

Agreed about PD's Blinding Gas, it's definitely one of the best skills in the game. In the specific comp Makaris mentioned, I'd probably use Blinding Gas/Disorienting Blast/Plague Grenade/Battlefield Medicine, since the PD is in position 4 the entire time. Noxious Blast may not even be necessary, since Leper pounds the front ranks and Crusader follows up with Smite.

But yeah, I really like Incision + Bloody Herb for other parties, especially Bleed-heavy parties with heroes like Flagellant/HWM/Hellion/Dogman/Graverobber.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do you guys feel about the Crimson Court DLC? It (and the base game) is on sale right now.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Get it. Enable the Crimson Court (the dungeon) after 50 weeks of your campaign.

Enable the flagellent and the districts immediately.

Give yourself the lead time on a fresh game with the dlc because it can be really harsh for a new hamlet to deal with blood rations.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Drewjitsu posted:

Get it. Enable the Crimson Court (the dungeon) after 50 weeks of your campaign.

Enable the flagellent and the districts immediately.

Give yourself the lead time on a fresh game with the dlc because it can be really harsh for a new hamlet to deal with blood rations.

Oh, you can enable the DLC after having setup time? I thought I'd have to either start with it or not at all. I think I'll definitely pick up the DLC now then.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yeah, I think you can set options on an ad hoc basis. I started with everything enabled, and it was a bit of rough sledding.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

How do you guys feel about the Crimson Court DLC? It (and the base game) is on sale right now.

60% off the base game is an absolute steal, 20% off the DLC is also nice. Pretty insane value for your money, you can get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of DD.

Overall, the DLC is great, but I wouldn't enable the Crimson Court part of it right away. Enable Flagellant + Districts on a new save, then get your Hamlet established. Grab upgrades to your Stage Coach, Blacksmith, and Guild, and start leveling up reliable heroes. Try to purchase the Bank as soon as possible, you'll want a disposable war chest.

Then enable the Crimson Court once you're comfortable, let's just call it the "mid game," around the time you're transitioning from Veteran to Champion dungeons. As soon as the Crimson curse is introduced and starts plaguing your roster, things get much more hectic.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Jedah posted:

I want to post more about this game, but there's nothing to say. Most folks in the thread have beaten the game multiple times already, and we've posted a million tips and tricks on what to do, which strategies to use, class guides, etc.

DarkAvenger211, did you already run the Darkest Dungeon? How did it go?

I know it's a bit late of a response but I haven't gone back in since. I've been finishing off the rest of the bosses mostly. I have a roster of almost all LVL 5/6 characters so I pretty much don't see a reason not to go in now. Other than to clear out the Crimson Curses I still have. The Crimson Court boss dungeons are so god damned long though. The first one took me probably about 6 or 7 runs until I made it to the end

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Quick question regarding Vvulf:
Vestal - GR - Dog man - MaA
yay/nay?

3 out of the 4 are probably no-brainers, but I'm a bit unsure about GR - is she too fragile here?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MuLepton posted:

yay/nay?

3 out of the 4 are probably no-brainers, but I'm a bit unsure about GR - is she too fragile here?

What about ves/dogman/flag/m@a?

I think I beat it with:
Arb/occ/flag/m@a

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

[quote="“Drewjitsu”" post="“477115238”"]
What about ves/dogman/flag/m@a?

I think I beat it with:
Arb/occ/flag/m@a
[/quote]

Well, my thinking for Vvulf himself was:
MaA protects bomb target
Dog man stuns the add that isn't guarded
GR nukes the guarded add, i.e. Vvulf
Vestal heals

That requires DM in rank 2, therefore no place for flag :/

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bounty hunter's a good fit for the Vvulf fight and run up to him - bonus vs. Humans and amazing stun.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

MuLepton posted:

yay/nay?

That comp is one of the best, just switch the GR and Vestal. GR loses out on a lot of good stuff in rank 1 after a lunge, and are two fades away from doing it again. The MAA might not want to use Rampart or comes at the wrong part of the turn order. Lastly the Vestal is tankier than the GR due to life steal, and doesnt care which back row position she is in for most builds.

As just a general note, GR belongs in rank 4 to start, pretty much always. For a bunch of reasons, but especially if your bringing a HM. Lunge + rank 2 dogman has great synergy. Switch from alpha strike mode to stress healing mode by doing on of the best attacks in the game.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 6, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

MuLepton posted:

yay/nay?

That team works for Vvulf. Just keep Dogman's mark up as often as possible, GR will get bonus damage and accuracy with Thrown Dagger.

MAA will be working overtime during that encounter, the only substitution I might suggest (but it's not necessary) would be swapping out GR with Arbalest. Battlefield Bandage on MAA + Vestal's heal will definitely keep him alive and happy.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The Crimson Court boss dungeons are so god damned long though. The first one took me probably about 6 or 7 runs until I made it to the end

Yeah, they're extremely long, I was a chump and full-cleared all of them, too. In retrospect, I should have just rushed to unlock the boss room, exited the dungeon just outside the boss room, and returned with a healed up, stress-free, (mostly) uncursed boss-killing team.

There's no need to full-clear the massive CC dungeons, because after you've beaten the CC quests, you can acquire any trinkets you missed from the medium-length Champ dungeon against the garden statue boss.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Yeah I'm mostly ignoring them for now. The only reason I consider going back is to cure the Crimson Curse I slowly build up. I know I get a permanent cure eventually.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I went with GR - Vestal - Dog man - MaA and it went swimmingly:

I was lucky enough to find 3 additional shovels, so I actually could clean the entire place out :frogc00l:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

MAA with Flesh's Heart and Ancestor's Signet Ring, my hero :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
For Vvulf, I don't remember my exact team but I had a MaA and an occultist. Occultist spammed weakening curse and MaA just protected whoever was going to get bombed. The bombs wound up doing 6 damage tops, so that trivialized the entire fight. I think I had a dog man and flag as well? Not sure, but they just focused on killing him and healing when necessary.