Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/06/firestorm-matched-play-rules-update/

They've issued an update for matched play that says you can't take take both faction allegiance and City allegiance at the same time, you have to choose between Faction or City+Grand Alliance. It seems pretty sensible.

Also removed the painting restrictions with a weird caveat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The painting restriction kind of makes sense. If you're going out of your way to replicate an in-lore army then you wouldn't try and pivot and say "no wait they're these other guys." But it's normally used in reference to historical games where you need to replicate the exact green of German tank in 1944, and not fantasy airboat dwarves that you can make anything up about.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Danimo posted:

Also removed the painting restrictions with a weird caveat.
I can kind of see that in matched play, as a tournament opponent would like to know specific special rules that he might be facing. It's kind of like "These are painted like Blood Angels, but use Dark Angels specific rules."

Considering that most people outside of a tourney won't care, it's not a big deal, IMO.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Murky rules question,

If there's a large creature that makes 3 types of attacks in a round and it's fighting a creature that rebounds mortal wounds on a save of 6, if the attacking creature loses its last wound on a rebound during its first type of attack does the combat end there and then or does it get to make its attacks with the other two weapons before being removed?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Since models are slain during the very very hazy idea of a "allocate wounds" step this game has, the attacking model would be killed then and there and not resolve any more of its weapons.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

It does seem like it would interrupt the procedure and just immediately kill the model and end it. But if you had made all your rolls at once because they have the same hit/wound/rend then you'd get away with it, because warhammer

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone in the US has an Ironjawz Megaboss they want to get rid of for a reasonable price (under $30 shipped), I'm in the market.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 9, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone know what box set the skaven sprues from Mordheim got reused for? Was it clan rats?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone know what box set the skaven sprues from Mordheim got reused for? Was it clan rats?

Nightrunners.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-posting. I've been putting off painting Relictor for a while. He's been sat in Leadbelcher taunting me, and so I've not painted anything else for fear of having to look at him. At least he's out of the way leaving just the last 3 Retributors who are also Leadbelcher'd up and 3 Prosecutors on sprues.

Not a fun model to paint, too many extra details. How many rolls of toilet paper does one model need streaming from their back?, why does he carry a skeleton on a stick?, what's with the candles? Why is a skull eating some paper? and wtf is in the little pouch?

Other 4 Flying Dwarf guys next I think.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Cross-posting. I've been putting off painting Relictor for a while. He's been sat in Leadbelcher taunting me, and so I've not painted anything else for fear of having to look at him. At least he's out of the way leaving just the last 3 Retributors who are also Leadbelcher'd up and 3 Prosecutors on sprues.

Not a fun model to paint, too many extra details. How many rolls of toilet paper does one model need streaming from their back?, why does he carry a skeleton on a stick?, what's with the candles? Why is a skull eating some paper? and wtf is in the little pouch?

Other 4 Flying Dwarf guys next I think.

Despite your not liking painting it, I really love how it turned out. I'm very fond of that model, both because I think it's my best painted model, and it made me want to play Age of Sigmar. Yours turned out great. That teal just hits so, so well.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone planning on picking up shadespire? It looks pretty fun. I'm gonna pick up the core set and probably the sepulchral guard. Probably gonna steal borrow your purple and teal scheme for them too, richyp.

Are they doing a staggered release for it though? Seems kinda silly to do so for a side game.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try to pick it up. It looks pretty fun from what I've seen and the models are great looking too.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

Anyone planning on picking up shadespire? It looks pretty fun. I'm gonna pick up the core set and probably the sepulchral guard. Probably gonna steal borrow your purple and teal scheme for them too, richyp.

Are they doing a staggered release for it though? Seems kinda silly to do so for a side game.

The base box comes out on the 21st of oct and the next two boxes come out on the 4th of nov

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah I'll Prolly get it,does anyone know how much the first box will be?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I saw something that said $60

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
$60 for the core set. I think they put the price in the latest White Dwarf. I wonder how much the expansion boxes will be? I'm assuming $30.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

I sorted the demo copy for my flgs yesterday but haven’t had a game of it yet. It looked a lot of fun

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I will definitely be getting it. Looks good. Games I have seen on the youtubes look good. Not too expensive. Doesn't take too long to play.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

$60 for the core set. I think they put the price in the latest White Dwarf. I wonder how much the expansion boxes will be? I'm assuming $30.

I believe $30 is correct. I saw that posted somewhere, though I can't remember where now...

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah. Stormcast box #2, Khorne box #2, Fyreslayers, and Skaven are coming out at a later date - I'm guessing two boxes at a time, in some weird effort to keep the momentum up. Hopefully, they don't take too long to get them out.

I'm really on the fence about this game - I really want a quick filler that I can get the rest of the group to play, but I really, really don't like the deckbuilding aspect. I'm sure I'll probably pick it up though.

I also want those sweet, sweet skellies.

FYI, if anyone is looking to get into the game cheap, I imagine there will be plenty of people selling off the game components because they just want the models. if you're cool with using your personal collection of models, you might want to hold off for a bit and check Ebay. This happens with all of the GW games, and components often go for $5-$10

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 12, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yeah, that's really why I want to get it. I almost always play 40k, but i love the aesthetic of AoS. I just didn't want to build and paint an entire new army. But since these are so small scale, I can just get one of whatever warbands I think are cool.

I think the deck building might be pretty fun. I'm going to go play a demo today after work at my local GW, so i'll let you guys know how it plays.

It's small and simple enough that I can probably get more friends into it. Hopefully this game is popular and they support it. I really like the small scale stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Zuul the Cat posted:

yeah, that's really why I want to get it. I almost always play 40k, but i love the aesthetic of AoS

lol what?

Also, Sigmarines #2? Are they gonna have non-Libs or any actually exciting miniatures? Up until this point, I was sure I was going to get skellies eventually...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's believed that Khorne and Stormcast will get a second release since both show up twice in the artwork that shows off all the factions.

I'm wondering if they're going to do single model expansion packs and what the price point will be. GW doesn't have a great track record on competitively priced single models

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 12, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Second Khorne is blood warriors (the new chaos warriors) with a flesh hound in there (probably 4 models) and the sigmarines are their ranger dudes.

Khorne with a doggo interests me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

lol what?

Also, Sigmarines #2? Are they gonna have non-Libs or any actually exciting miniatures? Up until this point, I was sure I was going to get skellies eventually...

I'm not 100% sure what the difference between SC #1 and #2 is, but I'm supposing it's just different abilities - they're called "Fastriders." The Khorne guys that come with the big box are the Chaos Marauder-types, and I think Khorne #2 are Chaos Warrior-types - they're called "Magore's Fiends."

EDIT: Beaten.

There are 437 cards in the overall action/objective series, so more than the base six factions doesn't look likely at this point. Pure speculation, but they may add expansions over yearly "seasons," assuming the game does well enough.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

lol what?

I usually play 40k and don’t have the time or desire to paint a full army, but I like the models of AoS. This game appeals to me because it’s so small scale that it won’t take any time to paint up warbands, I can play each faction if I wanted and it’s not as much of a commitment as a full army.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just wandering through here because while I hate Age of Sigmar for a variety of reasons, Shadespire has my genuine interest and I got to play a demo game last night.

I was playing as the Khorne warband versus my friend's stormcast. It was a really quick game despite the store owner basically coaching him through the rules. I had watched some videos about the game over the last week or so so I was better prepared. I set the two 2 wound idiots up front, they promptly got popped turn one and I managed to take out the stormcast leader (greatsword guy) early on. Unfortunately, my friend may as well have been rolling loaded dice because almost every attack/defend roll he made came up with criticals. He annihilated my warband and I was left with one model cowering in a corner at the end of the game while his remaining two models seemed to be invincible. If even one or two rolls had gone my way instead, it could have been a much different game. I had upgraded my leader to have an extra defense die and deal 4 damage on hits. He was capable of one-shotting any stormcast and had the best chance of tanking any incoming damage. It didn't work out. That's dice for you. :v:

However, I only actually lost by one point. I was able to grab a couple of points early on, and he had a steady stream of kills and objectives leaving him with 7 by the end of the game. There are specific objective cards that can only be turned in at the end of the third turn and I cashed in two two-pointers and he got one additional objective, leaving the game 8-7.

Overall, I liked the game and I'm looking forward to getting another game in. The card mechanic is not overbearing and adds a bit of variety to the game. A character's stat card doesn't necessarily represent what they can theoretically do if you've got the right cards. Similarly, you're really playing for objectives and they can swing a bad game back in your favor. This is also definitely a GW game and swingy dice have a big impact. However, if my game is anything to go by, you can get completely stomped and still eke out a close game pretty easily. For whatever that may be worth.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

I usually play 40k and don’t have the time or desire to paint a full army, but I like the models of AoS. This game appeals to me because it’s so small scale that it won’t take any time to paint up warbands, I can play each faction if I wanted and it’s not as much of a commitment as a full army.

Kinda pulling your leg and kinda serious, since visuals aren't exactly the strong suit of AoS, IMO.

Safety Factor posted:

I'm just wandering through here because while I hate Age of Sigmar for a variety of reasons, Shadespire has my genuine interest and I got to play a demo game last night.

Hatred is the Emperor's greatest gift to humanity, passed down to us via our unhealthy relationship with Hams.

How long did the game go?

All in all, I think the Sigmarines #2 will probably be the scout dudes.

A pity there are no Kharadron in-sight, the naked dorfs are so boring...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Overall, I liked the game and I'm looking forward to getting another game in. The card mechanic is not overbearing and adds a bit of variety to the game. A character's stat card doesn't necessarily represent what they can theoretically do if you've got the right cards. Similarly, you're really playing for objectives and they can swing a bad game back in your favor. This is also definitely a GW game and swingy dice have a big impact. However, if my game is anything to go by, you can get completely stomped and still eke out a close game pretty easily. For whatever that may be worth.
Yeah, what's really interesting is that you can get tabled, but still win the game by achieving the goals set forth on your cards and gaining glory.

JcDent posted:

Kinda pulling your leg and kinda serious, since visuals aren't exactly the strong suit of AoS, IMO.
Visuals are pretty strong in AoS - a lot of the art is pretty drat striking (though the early "maps" were terrible.) The real weakness of AoS is the lack of a cohesive background with a core focus. That is changing now, and they're even making the maps look more like actual places and not MS Paint garbage.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

How long did the game go?
45 minutes to an hour? This was a demo with a lot of explanations by the store owner; my friend was completely unfamiliar with the game. I expect real games will be at the 30-45 minute mark. It plays very quickly once you know what you're doing.

Neither of the starting warbands grabs me. I want the skeletons and orcs. However, I might paint up the stormcast in that one goofy maroon scheme just to try it out.

JcDent posted:

Hatred is the Emperor's greatest gift to humanity, passed down to us via our unhealthy relationship with Hams.
I will never not be mad about WHFB. :colbert: At least the Total War games help assuage that somewhat. :unsmith:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 12, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm honestly curious if GW will feel confident enough to license the AoS brand out.

I'd actually be down for Total War: Sigmar.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Why is the game only 3 turns? Seems odd

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Taking a page from good eurogame rulebooks, of course.

Also i'd be totally down for a warhammer game about building the church of sigmar or whatever. You get victory points for helping the town out and it would pretty much be a reskin of Troyes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Each turn has 4 activations for each player. Each activation can involve selecting a model and moving, attacking, or charging or discarding a card of either type and drawing a new one. Cycling objectives can be pretty important to get ones you can actually complete. That's most of what I did with my third turn.

As I mentioned earlier, I was down to one model at the end of the game. The board is kind of small and things die quickly. It doesn't need to go longer.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Really? I think that's one of the things they did right. The models especially are really dynamic (for the most part) or properly menacing.

The only part I'm not a fan of is the (lack of) background.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Really? I think that's one of the things they did right. The models especially are really dynamic (for the most part) or properly menacing.

I gave the new book Spear of Shadows by Josh Reynolds a shot and founnd it pretty decent. It does a lot for the background, in the same ways that Firestorm does. Feels like they're finally making good on the setting.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 13, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Danimo posted:

I gave the new book Spear of Shadows by Josh Reynolds a shot and find it pretty decent. It does a lot for the background, in the same ways that Firestorm does. Feels like they're finally making good on the setting.

I posted a bit about that book in the Black Library thread. I was really impressed with the result of all their worldbuilding after reading the first book in the series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chill la Chill posted:

Taking a page from good eurogame rulebooks, of course.

Also i'd be totally down for a warhammer game about building the church of sigmar or whatever. You get victory points for helping the town out and it would pretty much be a reskin of Troyes.

They've also said they wanted this game to be fast and pointed towards tournaments with the tournament rounds being best of three.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

Eh, I much prefer WHFB's visuals. Everything about Empire, especially in art, just looks awesome. Sigmarines, on the other hand, are less so.

And the fyreslayers are all indistinguishable.

Not a fan of how desperately shoehorned the old models are (until they're ready to squat them). Like, the whole Fleasheater illusion thing is so cheap, and it was stupid with Genestealer cults, too. Some dude on Dark AoS FB group made a band of Flesheaters with ghoul heads on Bret men at arms and it immediately looked better and made the fluff make sense.

And lol yeah, the maps. Imagine making TW:AoS with those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

Eh, I much prefer WHFB's visuals. Everything about Empire, especially in art, just looks awesome. Sigmarines, on the other hand, are less so.

And the fyreslayers are all indistinguishable.

Not a fan of how desperately shoehorned the old models are (until they're ready to squat them). Like, the whole Fleasheater illusion thing is so cheap, and it was stupid with Genestealer cults, too. Some dude on Dark AoS FB group made a band of Flesheaters with ghoul heads on Bret men at arms and it immediately looked better and made the fluff make sense.

And lol yeah, the maps. Imagine making TW:AoS with those things.

How is the genestealer cult fluff stupid? It's pretty much unchanged from many years ago.

The AoS fluff has been absolutely poo poo for most of the time.

• Locked thread