Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So I just listened to the new TAZ introduction podcast.

Griffin: I'm good at jumping.
Travis: I'm good at science.
Justin: I'm a God.

Really looking forward to seeing how this one plays out.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Irene has incredible potential

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So I just listened to the new TAZ introduction podcast.

Griffin: I'm good at jumping.
Travis: I'm good at science.
Justin: I'm a God.

Really looking forward to seeing how this on plays out.

Not seen a crime fighting operation of this caliber since Angel Summoner and the BMX Bandit teamed up.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

thebardyspoon posted:

Not seen a crime fighting operation of this caliber since Angel Summoner and the BMX Bandit teamed up.

Magnus teaming up with Taako and Merle is much more recent

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

thebardyspoon posted:

Dazzler and the Blue Shield?

e:

Mikey Purp posted:

You have to recognize that fans of a goof-filled talk show podcast interact with the content in a different way than fans of a fiction podcast with rich characters do.
Absolutely a fair point.

quote:

To me, the main problem with being conscious of and reactive to "legitimate gripes" is that their idea of legitimacy may be a little too inclusive. Case in point that whole blue Takko thing...the brothers probably took that seriously into account and were affected by it emotionally, and I'm sorry but it was complete poo poo and they shouldn't have to feel bad about that.
loving Tumblr. One idiot on Tumblr posts historical bullshit, it gets copied from blog to blog and hence becomes Truth. I may be especially pissed about this because I did a reply early on demolishing the historical bullshit, and because of the way Tumblr replies work, the original poster didn't see it, and neither did any of the people reblogging it. By contrast, on an actual threaded platform, people have a chance to see the replies with debunking as well as the original.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 6, 2017

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I got really excited when Justin was introducing his character, because I thought the twist was going to be she was turned into a huge monster or something. Then he went in a totally different, off the rails direction

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Irene's basically really early 60's Thor where Donald Blake was actually a separate dude who just turned into Thor but that turned up to the most crazy version of itself

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
In retrospect, Irene/Kardala was predicted by Taako/Garyl.

Also I wonder how Griffin's going to handle the "you can't do that many things as a physical/martial character" that he often plunked in front of Travis.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fate doesn't really have that problem.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, let's not do the parenthesis thing, even as a joke, okay?

What is that? I’ve never seen it before.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
"Remmy needs to be pushed to achieve his potential" is a *much* better aspect than "Remmy is a failure". The first is a cue to get more engaged with the other person. The second is a cue to shut them out.

Just in general, I doubt Travis has the dramatic range to play his character, and it's probably going to be a bit of a trainwreck. Pushing beyond your comfort zone is one thing. Playing someone who is the complete opposite of you in almost every respect is another.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Waffleman_ posted:

Fate doesn't really have that problem.
I suppose it never stopped the Tick, either.

But with Travis having blanket Science! and Mr. Fantastic-eque shapeshifting, and Justin having broad "weather control", I wonder if Griffin's going to get jealous at having sweet flips and kicks as his main shtick. We'll see; the length of a one-shot might mean he doesn't have time to get bored with his concept.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ariong posted:

Twitter alt-right/nazi thing to denote that the person you're talking about is Jewish/"suspected" of being Jewish. It's a dogwhistle that basically says "harass this person" and best to be left in the gutter where it came from.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Undead Hippo posted:

Just in general, I doubt Travis has the dramatic range to play his character, and it's probably going to be a bit of a trainwreck. Pushing beyond your comfort zone is one thing. Playing someone who is the complete opposite of you in almost every respect is another.
Travis has indicated that in his callow youth he was a self-centered chucklefuck so it's probably going to be an asexual version of that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ariong posted:

I think its this thing lovely people on twitter do to denote someone is jewish, like in a really lovely "globalist jew" conspiracy way. I think some people have tried to co-opt it back / use it ironically as well. Might have it slightly wrong.

dogsicle posted:

or the "legitimate gripe" that the character named after/obsessed with mexican food wasn't represented as latinx. talk about tone deafness.

I honestly figured that calling a latinx character a mexican dish would come off a lot more more insensitively. (Or is that what you're saying and I'm just parsing this wrong?)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kenny Logins posted:

I suppose it never stopped the Tick, either.

But with Travis having blanket Science! and Mr. Fantastic-eque shapeshifting, and Justin having broad "weather control", I wonder if Griffin's going to get jealous at having sweet flips and kicks as his main shtick. We'll see; the length of a one-shot might mean he doesn't have time to get bored with his concept.

I really don't forsee Griffin having much difficulty having fun as Carrie-but-a-human-dude.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Draxion posted:

Twitter alt-right/nazi thing to denote that the person you're talking about is Jewish/"suspected" of being Jewish. It's a dogwhistle that basically says "harass this person" and best to be left in the gutter where it came from.

These days it's more become a woke twitter badge of performative solidarity in the 'if trump wants to deport muslims well lets all register as Muslim, that'll show him' vein. Agreed it's better no one uses it at all.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Oxyclean posted:

I think its this thing lovely people on twitter do to denote someone is jewish, like in a really lovely "globalist jew" conspiracy way. I think some people have tried to co-opt it back / use it ironically as well. Might have it slightly wrong.

I honestly figured that calling a latinx character a mexican dish would come off a lot more more insensitively. (Or is that what you're saying and I'm just parsing this wrong?)

Much to nobody's surprise, the criticism went in both directions.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Oxyclean posted:

I think that's the conundrum the boys found themselves in. One subset saying "IN MY HEADCANON TAAKO IS LATINO, DON'T YOU gently caress ME" and another saying "if you have a Latino character named Taako (Taco) that's HIGHLY PROBLEMATIC" and either way somebody is going to yell at them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rather than just say they care what the fans think, the McElroys actually do care what they think and will listen to them. That's part of their appeal, and probably one of the reasons they're so popular. But its always a good way to end up getting held hostage by the most toxic elements of your following.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But then you run into a paradox when a large amount of fans say they listen to their fans too much.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Honestly, unless you're getting really really bothered by the McElroys being careful/thoughtful/apologetic I think it's pretty clear that them doing so hasn't actually had a single major negative effect on either MBMBAM or TAZ. It seems to be mainly a case of people getting mad on behalf of them, assuming that they're not actually genuinely thinking of their fans and trying to do well by them + instead are being 'badgered into submission' or 'held hostage' or whatever the metaphor is today.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Draxion posted:

Wow, and bere I would have assumed that it was just a dumb bad joke like that “triggered” meme. Wow that sucks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

flatluigi posted:

Honestly, unless you're getting really really bothered by the McElroys being careful/thoughtful/apologetic I think it's pretty clear that them doing so hasn't actually had a single major negative effect on either MBMBAM or TAZ. It seems to be mainly a case of people getting mad on behalf of them, assuming that they're not actually genuinely thinking of their fans and trying to do well by them + instead are being 'badgered into submission' or 'held hostage' or whatever the metaphor is today.

I think their pre-apologetics for this TAZ setup episode, as well as the repeated apologies that it wasn't the balance campaign anymore, were actively dragging it down. I'm definitely not mad on their behalf.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

flatluigi posted:

The negative effect for me is that they now have to spend minutes apologizing for a concept before it even gets used. For example, Griffin rambling about how Justin's character is NOT bipolar. I feel like 99.9% of people would never make that connection in the first place. But JUST IN CASE one person out there gets offended, Griffin has to apologize to everyone.

It throws off the pacing of the show and just isn't fun to listen to. I wouldn't call it a "major negative effect," but certainly a negative one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If anything it would be Disassociative Identity Disorder and not Bipolar anyway. They weren't even apologizing for it not being the right thing!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Who What Now posted:

If anything it would be Disassociative Identity Disorder and not Bipolar anyway. They weren't even apologizing for it not being the right thing!
Dissociative.

Who, me, pedantic?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dat rear end sociative

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I definitely lost interest in the boys when they did the first retcon/apology for Taako and decided that they can't call his sister Chalupa.

They are making efforts and amends as if they did something wrong and with malicious intent instead of believing in themselves and their good spirited nature. There was never an apology needed, only a simple explanation of 'these are goofs ya dingus'.

I understand wanting to please everyone and to not appear insensitive on any level, but there is a point where you have to say "We are good people, with good in our hearts trying to bring goofs and grins to the world and are not going to apologize for it."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you sound incredibly triggered about something months ago that lasted all of a day, friend.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

sexpig by night posted:

you sound incredibly triggered about something months ago that lasted all of a day, friend.

I don't understand what besides condescension and belittlement you are going for here.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

bigperm posted:

I definitely lost interest in the boys when they did the first retcon/apology for Taako and decided that they can't call his sister Chalupa.

They are making efforts and amends as if they did something wrong and with malicious intent instead of believing in themselves and their good spirited nature. There was never an apology needed, only a simple explanation of 'these are goofs ya dingus'.

I understand wanting to please everyone and to not appear insensitive on any level, but there is a point where you have to say "We are good people, with good in our hearts trying to bring goofs and grins to the world and are not going to apologize for it."

They want to do well by everyone and they are completely open to letting go of minor things to do better. There's too many people nowadays who make missteps/mistakes (small and large) and go "well my intentions were good so i'm going to actively choose to not do anything about it," there's no reason to add another four to the pile -- especially when they've all said multiple times that they actively don't want to do that.

Carey and Killian were a pretty clear response to Griffin falling face first into the gay-people-always-get-tragic-endings storyline of Hurley and Sloane and getting criticized for it, and the podcast is definitely better for their inclusion.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

bigperm posted:

I don't understand what besides condescension and belittlement you are going for here.

I disagree with the wording of that post, but I think that it is better for them to go too much than too little when trying not to hurt people, because there is an awful lot of too little and not a lot of too much nowadays. In other words, as was said, if you want to hear goofs from people who don't always go the extra mile to make people feel included, you have plenty of options.

It's kinda like when Aflac dropped Gilbert Gottfried for making a super insensitive joke. Like, he's the aristocrats guy, what were you expecting? This is like that, but the opposite.

EDIT:That being said, I respect your opinion and I am glad you phrased it in such a polite way, unlike some "lol u triggered kid" people. :colbert:

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 6, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bigperm posted:

What an incredibly stupid and pathetic reason to lose interest in something.

"Can you believe those boys want to treat people with kindness and respect?! I want no part of that disgusting filth!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: nevermind, not gonna keep being a dick

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If only there were a monster factory to save us from the discourse

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Monster factory sucks now that they use those screen wipes and "squerch" sound effects, do try and keep up.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
The green taako thing was loving bananas, like so crazily specific and looking for trouble that it is actually counterproductive. Instead of addressing legitimately problematic concerns, like for example the tragic lesbians thing, these Tumblr kids become parodies of themselves.

Losing interest in the entire thing because of it is also bananas however.

Those ends of the spectrum just red to freaking chill out or kick rocks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
They did address the tragic lesbians thing, what are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The worst part of this is the same as the worst part of the Stolen Century: almost 0 goofs. I could not care less about all this fandom/anti-fandom crap. I just want some laughs and levity - this entire episode was almost stone cold serious.